THR hipster333 is in recovery<

bahaha @AgilityDog :rotfl:already dealing with boy crush issues--so now it's compounded with the horses. Time will tell. We'll probably get her a few lessons and see what happens.

@Mireille @Mascaramom happy one month anniversary!:wowspring::loveshwr::roseshwr:I can't believe it's been a month already! Look how far we've come! Still some aches and pains, but better than before. Only 2.5 weeks until I go back to work. I should get the ok to drive Mar 22. Going back to work mar 26th (I work 1/2 hr away)--little nervous about the driving :scary:and I'm hoping some of the leg muscles stop hurting by then and this side pain is gone.
 
Hi Hipster,
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Boy crushes are bittersweet, aren't they? You kind of want to say, "WAIT, back up, I don't know if I'm ready for this!"

Switching gears: I'm more concerned about how you'll handle the time at work, over the driving.
What will a work day look like for you? If you don't mind sharing....
@hipster333
 
@Layla I work in a middle school library. I'm on contract and actually covering for someone who has been on medical leave since the beginning of October so I'm worried if I don't go back then I'll lose my sport and have to find a new school. Originally I was supposed to go back Mar 19th. My first week back I'm only doing 3 hrs a day and up to my usual 5 hrs per day the next week (except Friday when it's only 3 hrs). it's a small middle school (only 200 kids) in the inner city. Most of the kids have had really tough lives up to this point and I love being able to make even a small difference with them. As far as movement--that's up to me. I can sit or walk around as much as I want and I'm blessed to have eager kids to help with re-shelving books. I'll get them to help put up the displays when I get back so I can stay off any step stool. I think my hip will do ok. Just worried about being really tired since I'm exhausted all the time right now. I'm hoping the energy from being back in that environment will get me motivated again. Starting to feel very sorry for myself which I know is not helping with the tiredness.
 
I found the adrenaline and energy from doing helped me get through the day - but sometimes led to a crash when I got home. I can't tell you the number of times I woke up only to realize I'd fallen asleep 5 mins into a TV show and Netflix was asking me if I was still watching.
 
Working at the school sounds so fulfilling! Hopefully the short hours will be not be too much for you.
 
@SaraK that is totally going to happen! Netflix and all (especially now that I'm addicted). :rotfl:
@AgilityDog no horses! :loll:
@LauraVall I love it! I used to work in the corporate world, but never found anything I love like I do working at the school. My hip was REALLY bad prior to the surgery and yet it never bothered me too much when I was there--probably because I was distracted. I'm hoping the same thing will happen again(plus my hip feels much better now). I still have 2.5 weeks of healing until I go--and we know how much things can change week to week right now. A month ago today I was lying in the hospital bed questioning why I'd done this and thinking I'd have to shimmy my toes to get my log leg to move the rest of my life. Now I'm on the cane with bouts of using no aids. :yay:
 
So much to be said for doing what you love. And to get paid for it too?? Perfect!

I'm in the corporate world and luckily love what I do, but balance it by volunteering with 4-H. Work with kids raising and showing rabbits. Lots of fun and much satisfaction. :yes:
 
I think you can do this, expect that energy drain and don't forget lots of ice and elevating when you get home.
Good luck and Yay for no hip pain.
Great job.
 
I think you have a realistic picture of your return. Energy drain may well happen for a while, but three hours is reasonable. I am going to start preparing for my return by getting up at usual time and do the shower/breakfast/dress and ready to go out the door, and then do some sort of activity around house in morning (walk, store, etc.). Try to stay occupied til lunch time (when I will leave work).

Your job sounds terrific.
 
Your return to work and schedule sounds very reasonable.
I was concerned as to how you were going to get them off to school,
prepare dinner, do dishes, then the nighttime headaches of homework, baths etc.
all after a day at work. But with the hours you're working hopefully it won't be too difficult.
Oh man, just typing it, I don't miss that routine :hairpulling:
You may be tired out until you adjust but I've learned you're very organized so I'm sure it will all flow seamlessly.
Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday!
@hipster333
 
@LauraVall that's awesome that you love what you do and you're able to work with the 4H as well! :roseshwr:

@Mojo333 I totally expect the drain. Thanks for the encouragement!:wave:

@MammaT What a great plan you have to get yourself ready to go back to work! Almost since day 3 I've been getting up and getting ready for the day with everyone else. it's just those mid-morning naps I'm going to miss. :heehee:

My dad lives has lived with us since my mom passed away four years ago. I tried working fulltime for the first two years and dad went really downhill both physically and mentally (he is a VERY private person and does not socialize--mom was his only link to the rest of the world).Two years ago I gave up my job to stay home with him and he slowly but surely he started doing better (time also helps with the healing). I got to the point where I was losing my mind being home all the time and felt a great disconnect. In order to find the balance to save my sanity I applied to work for the school board since I knew the hours would be better for both my dad and my kids (and I would get the summers off to spend with them). I didn't know would end up loving it as much as I do. :dancy:@Layla since my hip surgery the one thing I have learned is that my family can take on much more than I was letting them. Learning to let go is a big step for me (you're absolutely right about me liking to be organized aka neurotic :rotfl:) The kids are older, 12 and 14 so I don't have to worry about getting them ready for school anymore or baths. And they can help with some of the meal prep and clean-up (like they are doing now). I've already given up on the house being clean all the time :loll:. I've also contacted a meal prep place in our area and ordered some pre-assembled healthy meals that we just need to cook up. This will give me a head start on my first couple of weeks back.
I've started getting back into the kitchen a little bit now that I don't need the cane all of the time in there. I find I get tired quickly, but it's getting easier every day. Just need to get to more of the cleaning--ugg that part is hard when you tire out so quickly--I need more of @Mireille's energy!
 
@Newhip2/14 I was worried about the seam on the side aggravating the incision too (my incision almost lines up with it), but I haven't had any problems today (knock on wood!) :happydance:The yoga pants were fine the whole time (even when I had what looked to me like a huge gap after they took the bandage off and the staples out). I couldn't handle wearing dresses--especially not with the forest of hair I had on my legs before that first shave post-op. :rotfl:
@Walkinginthesand thank you for your prayers. They are certainly appreciated! Cliffhanger? :heehee:
 
Ummm- I missed a lot- a lot of entries from your ER visit and was writing in relation to that. Then I saw there were way more entries posted. I must say though it WAS still like a cliff hanger. Daughter, horses, BOYS and teaching plus back to regular clothes. Let’s see.. I have never owned horses (thankfully), I taught middle and high school English for 30 years and raised 2 daughters. The boys plus the daughters is the scary part of your story. :heehee: I apologize for not reading all posts before writing but for me, it made a great story. Glad you are okay. From possible blood clot to regular clothes in one fell swoop! :rofsign:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom