THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am home and it went great! The lady I met with was very down-to-earth and genuine and we really clicked. None of that ridiculous "we are fun but you have to be just like us" uppity-ness (is that a word)?:heehee:

I will be very surprised if I do not get offered this job :) :spin:
 
@Hipster Girl - Glad to hear the interview felt genuine and positive. I SO hope that this is IT for you. Then you can breathe a sigh of relief. I like that description - "uppity-ness"! :snork:
Thanks for mentioning you had back to work fatigue as well at first. It was a bit unnerving to feel the "drain" again. As the weeks go by, it has gotten better. Life has been a bit hectic lately with returning to work, the end of the year activities for my daughter, planning the summer, etc. We're leaving today for a family reunion 5 hours away over the weekend. Looking forward to a little getaway.
I hope things calm down a bit soon - for me and you! Do you know when you will hear anything? I hope you have a nice, restful weekend! :yes: :SUNsmile: :yes!:
 
:)Aww, thank you @DeepBreath! :friends:

@Readysetgo oh my, you do have a lot going on with returning to work and end of school year activities and everything. Even the family reunion requires planning and packing and things to get ready. I hope you are able to relax and refresh, and spend some quality time with family this weekend. Have a great time! The energy drain is real but it will continue to get better. :SUNsmile:

I think I will know something on the job no later than Mon or Tues. They know I'm interviewing elsewhere and asked me how far along I was with other companies, expressing a little concern that I might be on the verge of an offer with another company, so I think they will now move quickly. But I am so drained that I don't mind dragging it out. I need the rest. :dead:

Even though it went great yesterday, I know I can't take anything for granted so I put in 3 other applications elsewhere yesterday. Whenever I get a job alert in my email for one of my target companies, I go ahead and put in for it but I am so ready to be done with the whole process. It is really exhausting.

I feel like I have to be "on" all the time and I plan my activities around being home for the phone during business hours. I also never know when someone will call about a job and I have to be ready for an unscheduled phone interview. I just want to :bath::ice::sleeep:
 
I'm so glad to hear that it went so well, @Hipster Girl. It is stressful to be looking for work. I get it. Hopefully this job is "the one". I'm impressed that you keep submitting yourself and making the rounds. I look forward to hearing what happens. I hope you get some R&R this weekend. You deserve it!
 
I finally heard back yesterday and I did not get the job. It was neck & neck with myself and another candidate down the stretch and the recruiter told me they deliberated a long time and ultimately decided on the other candidate because she had a technology background and I do not. But, the silver lining is they were still very impressed with me and recommended me to another department that needs someone, so I will be starting the interview process all over again with this other group next week. The first round will include some on-the-spot testing that I'm not looking forward to but at least it's another chance with this company, and maybe the recommendation from the 1st department will help me and give me an edge (fingers crossed).

I am kind of discouraged about how difficult this entire process has been, not just with this company, but all of it in looking for a job. I am so worn out and feel like I really need a good cry to release some of this frustration, so I can collect myself and get ready for this next opportunity.

I also followed up twice with the other company that required a "fun" person, knowing full well I didn't get that job, but I still wanted feedback from them that might help me going forward. I have to laugh because they pride themselves on being such "people persons" and yet have ignored my calls and emails for updates. So they are "fun" in their own minds but they are certainly not "people persons" in my book, and they are highly unprofessional. A people person would not leave someone hanging and I have no respect for people like that. Having a "fun culture" doesn't excuse leaving candidates hanging when we invest so much time and energy into interviewing multiple rounds. I would not want to work for a company like that because of how they handle themselves and treat people, so I dodged a bullet with that one. I want to work somewhere that treats people with respect and dignity, where they at least have the courtesy to let you know if you didn't get the job rather than leave someone hanging.
 
Oh @Hipster Girl, I'm so sorry! I just can't imagine how discouraging and disappointing it must be to have worked so hard and get so close to these positions, only to be let down once again. You are right, how cold and uncaring can a company be by not having the courtesy to at least send their applicants an email thanking them for taking the the time and effort involved with the application process? Good riddance to them!

On the bright side, I think you have a very good chance with the company who has referred you to a different department. Obviously they really liked you and feel you would be a valuable asset to their company. Like I've mentioned before, it really blows my mind that the job application process is so involved! The competition must be fierce and I think our unemployment rates are MUCH higher than we are led to believe.

As always, you are in my thoughts and prayers sweetie! Sending you a great big hug. xoxoxo
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I'm sorry this last interview didn't lead to the job. You were so close! Rejection is painful. Show business is that way, and it can really get you down. (You work so hard to prepare.) I'm glad that they are interviewing you in a different department. It sounds like they really like you. I don't blame you for wanting a good cry. This job search sounds like it has been an emotional roller coaster.

How are your hips doing? Are you still going to the gym? I hope that other parts of your life are going well.

Finding work post op has been my struggle, too. Your posts have really helped me.
 
(((@Hipster Girl))) I am so sorry, friend. I agree with @Cynthia777 about competition for jobs being fierce.
I'm just going to send out a big cyber hug for you and not offer platitudes because right now I'm sure everything just feels stinky and unfair. Have yourself a good cry. You deserve that cleansing.
I will give a huge, slobbery raspberry to the 'fun' company. You summed up their cruddy attitude perfectly.
:hissy: PTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :skep: @ them!

Never forget that we are here for you. :console2:
 
Awww....I was so hoping that this would be the end of your interview process. but, alas, not so. Good that the company is interested in having you on-board.....in another area. There still may be light around the corner. Take a big, deep breath and let those cleansing tears flow....and then .....hold your chin high. We're pulling for you!
 
@Hipster Girl , I've enjoyed reading about your search and am sorry this job didn't work out. I too have started the search (new hips, new job :wink:) and had to laugh with you about the ridiculously labeled fun people postings. I ignore these rock star jobs as company integrity and respect are a higher priority to me. Some are phantom listings, the job has been filled but legally they have to post them to the public.

After progressing through initial hurdles, I've also taken a few timed tests that reminded me of the SATs. Have also taken the increasingly popular personality determination tests. Yeah, you read that correctly :shrug:. In retrospect, it's a strange, if not robotic, method to cull applicants but will retain a sense of humor and be flexible, gotta roll with the times :yes:.

Glad that your hips have healed well and now you will be ready to go when you get the call. Have a good cry and know there's a better fit waiting for you just around the corner :SUNsmile:
 
:friends:You guys are so awesome - your support means so much to me! It's so nice to be able to come on here and vent or whine to get it off my chest and in the end, I feel so uplifted by all your support. Y'all truly make me feel like I can do this and give me the motivation to get back after it and keep trying. This has been such a roller coaster emotionally and it certainly doesn't help that I am at that "special time of life" where my emotions are all out of whack anyway :blush:

@Cynthia777 I agree - How long does it take to write a quick "sorry, we went with someone else". I think you are right about the unemployment rates being much higher. The competition is fierce and I think people stop trying after awhile. I have no choice but to keep going.

@Hip Hip Hooray! , my hips are doing good thankfully. Yes, I'm still going to the gym and that is so helpful. Whenever there are things in life that are outside of my control, it is so beneficial to do things that give me that sense of empowerment and control, and the gym is at the top of that list.

@DeepBreath, your post made me smile. Thank you for the chuckle and for giving the raspberry to the "fun" company. :snork:

@Nana2-8, the other day the tears were just rolling down my face and I couldn't stop them so I just went with it. I wasn't boo-hooing, the tears were just flowing. I had so much pent-up frustration and letting those tears out was very healing. I think you are right, there could still be light around the corner. I'm trying to stay positive. :yes:

@Horseshoe oh yes, the dreaded personality tests - I've taken those too. :hairpulling: Robotic is right. The methodology used these days takes the human element out of it and is such a bizarre way to weed through applicants. You have a great attitude about retaining a sense of humor and rolling with the times. That inspires me. I tend to be fighting against the new methods instead of rolling with them.

How is your search going?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hipster Girl, I keep remembering how much you loved your old job. I know you want to stay in your current location, but do you ever feel like relocating now? (and going back to them?) It just seemed like you were so happy with that company. (Well, before they hired that difficult woman.) I was just wondering. I don't mean to sound pushy. I respect your desire to stay in your current location.

Like you, I have seen a lot of what I call a "party atmosphere" at some of the work situations I've assessed. I think it's what they think of as "fun". It's totally different than the way I was trained. People tell me I take things too seriously. Their way seems unprofessional and juvenile to me. It's weird how as you get older, you really feel the generation gap. I know I am.
 
@DeepBreath absolutely! I think a celebration will definitely be in order once I land that job. :flwrysmile:

@Hip Hip Hooray! no, I don't even give relocation a second thought. I know I made the right decision. Besides, while the company was going to pay all my relocation costs, I turned it down so that is off the table now and I would have to move at my own expense. Plus they hired my replacement already so my old job is filled and it isn't an option anyway. I know something will turn up; I just don't know when. But in one of my networking groups, they told us there is no one in there who was there a year ago - in other words, every single person found work. And it will happen for me too. I just need to remain positive but it will happen.:yes:

I feel the same as you that the party atmosphere is juvenile and unprofessional. That is the perfect way to describe it. I guess I am old school where work is work and people behave like grownups, so this new work environment is very foreign to me.

Is there anything new on the job front for you?
 
@Hipster Girl, No nothing new on the job front for me. I have enough money to stay home, if I live VERY frugally. I am grateful for that. I've been selling some of my soap, and giving it to neighbors. Everyone loves it, so it's a nice little side income. I'm also working on my writing.

I'm sorry if I said the wrong thing. It just impressed me how passionate you were about that job. I've gone back to shows during lean times that were still running, and it helped me to pay my bills. It was nice to be hired back without an audition. (especially when I really needed work.)

That's impressive that everyone in your networking group found a job. Wow! I think it's likely that this company will still hire you. (from the sounds of it.)
 
@Hipster Girl - I was sad to read that the job opportunity fell through. You worked so hard and came so close! Ugh. Such a drain! It sounds as though they really did like you and I hope something even more wonderful actually comes through for you. I hope you had a good healthy, cleansing cry. I've been in your position before - coming so close, sure I got the job, etc. - then nothing. It seemed to take forever to finally land something. So much of it was just numbers and the tough competition for positions. I really liked reading how everyone has a job now in your networking group. That is a clear and wonderful sign that you will find that good job soon! And I hope it is better than you ever even imagined! :yes!:

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh gosh no @Hip Hip Hooray! you didn't say the wrong thing at all! I did really love my previous job but I'm kind of starting to embrace the idea of a new adventure as well. So we will see what happens. I'm enjoying meeting new people at the networking events and will enjoy meeting new people when I start working as well.

How did that work where you were hired back for shows without having to audition? Can you still do that? That's really good that you can stay home. How is your writing coming?
 
Thanks @Readysetgo, it is hard to get so close and then lose out, but I have to remind myself that at least I'm getting interview experience because I was soooo very rusty. It's getting a bit easier each time. I almost feel like even after I land something, I should try to go on at least 1 or 2 interviews a year just to kind of stay in rhythm, just in case (heaven forbid) I should find myself in this position again. I was very encouraged to hear that from my networking group also. Something will turn up - I just need to be patient and persistent. :yes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Hipster Girl , I've had several in-person interviews and am taking career classes as I want to change direction and eventually move. While waiting for my THR, I have a noticeable limp that's hard to disguise and is likely not working in my favor :wink: so I keep it on the down low and when I get quizzical looks, it's a glamorous skiing or surfing injury :snork:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom