THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
These people just do not come up for air! I think there must be something in my personality that tells them it's okay to talk "at" me (not "with" me) for hours. It is utterly exhausting being on the receiving end of these one-way talks
Oh boy, tell me about it. A friend decided to come and pick me up and take me out for an airing last Friday. We went to a local hotel for tea and she just didn't STOP TALKING .... All those old hackneyed expressions come to mind like, "only does transmit, not receive", "remember you have one mouth and two ears" .... It felt like I had a woodpecker hammering away at my head and after nearly 2 hours I said I really needed to get back home. I'm certain I glazed over several times and must have looked like one of those cartoon characters with rings in their eyes..
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I skipped the gym today because I know I will want to hit it hard tomorrow to release some of my pre-interview jitters since I won't have time to go on Wed before my interview. I have been reviewing and practicing all day today. I'm mentally spent and probably should take a break but it's hard to turn off my brain. I hope I can get some sleep tonight because I know I will be wound up tomorrow night. You are so right about it being such a good feeling to feel strong and muscular again. I am finding that helps with my confidence which is a very important thing when looking for a job.

@Readysetgo my breakfast meeting was 2 hours long and I got a wealth of information that I can use that should help me. It's one thing having it in my brain and knowing what to do but actually doing it is something else. I will be meeting with 4 people at 30 min intervals, so a total of 2 hours. I pray I will be rested and articulate, and that they will like me and see me as a good fit. They have told me this interview is all about "fit" and considering that I don't think the other company saw me as the right fit makes me a little uneasy about going thru this process again. I do think the interviews I've already had will benefit me because like anything, we get better with practice. I am still amazed that an (almost) stranger would do something so nice for me by meeting with me this morning. I thanked him profusely and he just told me to "pay it forward" which I definitely plan to do.:yes:

How are things going for you being back at work? I know what you mean about all the distractions at home making it difficult to work out. I think the hardest thing about going to a gym is the initial decision to get in the car and go but once there, there's no distractions and you can concentrate on your workout....unless you run into a Chatty Cathy (bring headphones). :heehee:
 
Oh boy, tell me about it. A friend decided to come and pick me up and take me out for an airing last Friday. We went to a local hotel for tea and she just didn't STOP TALKING .... All those old hackneyed expressions come to mind like, "only does transmit, not receive", "remember you have one mouth and two ears" .... It felt like I had a woodpecker hammering away at my head and after nearly 2 hours I said I really needed to get back home. I'm certain I glazed over several times and must have looked like one of those cartoon characters with rings in their eyes..
:rofsign:Oh my goodness @Miss Muffet your post has me in stitches!! You're so right about the the one mouth and two ears. I hadn't heard the transmit/receive one, that's great too!

How can these people talk so much?? It's mind-boggling, isn't it?? LOL at your woodpecker comment! Thank you for the belly laugh - I needed that!
 
@Hipster Girl - you're a busy bee. gymming and prepping for your interview. Best of luck and let us know how it goes. Always nerve wracking, but it sounds like you're well prepared. Relax and be yourself and then they'll snap you up! :thumb:

These well-meaning chatterboxes are a complete nightmare.
I SO want to slip into the conversation ..... "Have you ever considered using full-stops?" :nah:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I know what you mean about being the "right fit". Group dynamics are interesting. Different people bring out different sides of us. You sound extremely prepared. I'm glad that you received some help from that guy from your networking group. You're definitely taking steps toward creating the ideal job. It's a good feeling to be working behind the scenes. Let us know how the interview goes!
 
Good luck today! I keep checking back....to see if there is any 'news'. If this job turns out to be something YOU want, then.....you've got it!
 
@Nana2-8 my interview is actually tomorrow morning - not today, but thank you so much for your well wishes - I really do want this one! :praying:

@DeepBreath you'd be so proud of me. One of my Chatty Cathy friends called and I cut her off at the pass and said I can't talk, I have to prepare for my interview. I had to talk very loudly over her to get the words out because she had already started on her ramble but I did it! And I wasn't taking no for an answer! It was hard but felt so liberating to cut that call short! Woot! :yahoo:
 
Thanks @Hip Hip Hooray! I will definitely update after my interview. How was your ballroom dancing?
Hi @Hipster Girl, It was ~FANTASTIC~!!! I didn't feel my hips at all...all the work has paid off in healing. I'm glad you are reclaiming your time from those who were abusing your ear. Holding good thoughts for your interview...
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! so glad the ballroom dancing went well and your hips cooperated! I'm so glad you are getting back to doing what you absolutely love to do! Thanks for the well wishes! :)

@Cynthia777 thank you so much for thinking of me and for the much needed prayers!! :friends: I've got the water warming up now in the shower. Gotta go get ready but wanted to stop by BoneSmart like I try to do every morning. My day doesn't seem complete unless I come on here. :SUNsmile:
 
:wave:Here I am!

This one went much better than the last - no crazy obsession over a "fun culture" and the extrovert/introvert thing. :yes!: We actually talked about the job - how refreshing! :snork:

The only bad thing was 1 of the interviews was over the phone and 2 were via Skype, so only one was in person and I do much better in person, but the Skype wasn't too bad. With the phone one, he was on his cell and his phone didn't have great reception so it kept cutting out and it was hard to hear him.

I asked them all for feedback and they all had very positive things to say. I am definitely in the running for this one. :happydance:They were all impressed with my qualifications so the rest is all based on if they like me and see me as a fit. I sent them all personalized "thank you" emails and reiterated my interest in the position, so now it's just a waiting game.

From having coffee with my network contact on Monday, I know they all get together and score the candidates so that is the next step. As long as they don't see anyone else as a better fit, I think it's possible I could get an offer...so let's just hope they don't like anybody better than me :giggle:
 
Congratulations, @Hipster Girl. It sounds like you did really well. I'm glad to hear that you received positive feedback. Hopefully this is the one! That is weird that they interviewed you over the phone and with Skype. Boy, times have changed. I think it helps so much to meet face to face with people, and to feel their energy. Oh well. I bet they still really liked you. Well done!
 
:friends:Group hug??? :friends:Seriously, you guys are the absolute BEST!!!:roseshwr::loveshwr:

Now I have even MORE interesting news, if you can believe it. So, a lady I met a few weeks ago sent me an invitation last night to an event tonight at yet another target company of mine so I registered for it last night. Well I almost didn't go tonight since my interview went well and because I am just flat out drained. But I went anyway and I talked to one of the corporate recruiters who was there. I had applied for two or three positions there a couple months ago but got the rejection emails. Well tonight I handed her my resume and she saw the name of the company I just left and said she knew somebody who worked there but just recently relocated, and I said "really, who?" and when she told me, this guy is a buddy of mine! And his daughter and this recruiter are best friends! Is it a small world or what??

She said she was going to text him and I told her I was going to email him. :snork:

Well tonight he emailed me back & said they have already spoken tonight and he already endorsed me and told her to hire me :happydance:

They don't have any positions posted for my skill set at this time but I know I will now be on her radar when something comes up in the future. Sometimes it's not what you know, it's who you know...:yes!:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom