THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Horseshoe I totally understand the limp thing while looking for a job. That can't be easy at all. When is your surgery scheduled for?
It's great that you are taking career classes while you wait! Very impressive! :flwrysmile:
 
I was called back yesterday with the other department and was given an in-person assessment that I was being graded on as we spoke. I only met with one person and it was 30 minutes so we were rushed and I didn't really fully understand what she was after. The recruiter had vaguely explained it beforehand but it was still confusing and I get testing anxiety so add that to interview anxiety and it was not a good situation for me. No excuses because the other applicants have to go through the same thing. It's just rough because the test is not an accurate assessment of my skills. But bottom line is, without passing this round, I don't move onto the next, so it looks like my 2 months invested in this company will not end in a job offer.

I am disappointed in myself that I didn't do better but I let my nerves get the best of me and then it's hard to focus on what they are after.

But, it's over and now it's back to square one. Unfortunately I don't have anything else pending at the moment so I have to get some more applications out there and hope somebody calls. I'm getting a little discouraged but can't allow myself to get all negative because that won't help me at all. I need to stay positive and know that God has a better job out there for me but just hasn't opened that door yet. At least I am getting far along in the process with these companies so that is a positive and soon I will get over the hump. :yes:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I can totally relate. I really understand about the nerves. I'm sorry that this interview didn't go so well. You have a great attitude, and you are very resilient. I will keep saying prayers for you. Somebody is going to be very lucky to hire you. You're right, you are getting down to the end in these interviews. Timing is everything.
 
Thanks @Hip Hip Hooray! I was pretty depressed yesterday but I can't allow myself to wallow in that. I need to stay positive and recognize that there is a lot to take away from these experiences that, even thought they didn't result in a job offer, they can still help me going forward when I interview with other companies. I am fortunate that there are a lot of jobs out there and some big companies moving to the area so I just need to stay with it until the right job comes along.

If I'm honest with myself, this job I tried for yesterday wasn't the best match for me anyway as I would have gotten bored quickly and not challenged, and I prefer something that stretches me and gives me an opportunity to grow, which this one didn't do. So maybe it was a blessing in disguise.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great way to look at the situation, something better is waiting for you. Sorry it is taking so long to find that great job, but you will! Hang tough!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Good to know.Thanks to Krista.My GP started that at about 55 years yong.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Hipster Girl - I'm sorry those jobs didn't pan out. I'm glad to hear that there are a lot of jobs in your area, so knowing that you just have to have faith that the best job for you is out there! When it took me a long time to get work after many interviews, I did find some solace in hearing statistics about how long it takes on average to find a new job. (Don't know what it is these days, but then I think it was something like 9 months to a year?) Of course one could beat those odds, but when I'd get discouraged, I could look at statistics and realize I wasn't "alone" in my long search. And like you, I was doing everything I could to make it happen. You certainly are making this job hunt your full time job right now! You are doing your best.

Are you thinking of contacting one of those networking groups to see what else is out there? Is your recruiter finding things for you?

I hope you can take a deep breath, have faith! - And try to enjoy this weekend, too! :flwrysmile:
 
@jomarie58 thank you for that encouragement. :SUNsmile:

@Readysetgo I've heard various statistics too and thanks for the reminder - you're right, it does take awhile. My replacement at my old job had been out of work for about 6 months and it hasn't even been 3 for me yet - it just seems like longer because I am so ready to get back. I might need to expand my search. I have been targeting specific companies which worked well as far as getting interviews but hasn't gotten me a job offer, so maybe I need to branch out a bit. You always hear people say you should just take any job and then you can continue to look while you have a job - I just really didn't want to start over with one company and then up and leave to go somewhere else.

I have 3 recruiting agencies I'm working with and am not having much luck there either. My networking group hasn't helped with finding jobs but has been a huge boost emotionally as we are all kind of bonded together through these circumstances. It's good to feel you're not alone because it's very easy to get discouraged. I have to really fight against that.
I hope all my BoneSmart buddies have a great weekend!:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I'm glad you have the emotional support of that networking group. That's so important. I have been reading a book called Going Gray, by Anne Kreamer. She writes about what it's like to have gray hair in the corporate world. It's really interesting. It made me think about you a lot. I know we both color our hair, partly for career reasons. She talks about how the people hiring tend to hire people younger than they are. It really touches on aging, the challenges we face, perceptions of "older" workers, etc. It's been a real shock for me to go to auditions after turning 50. Everything is so different. It's like being in a foreign country.

I'm impressed with you determination and persistence. It does seem like you've been looking for work longer than three months, probably because you've been so busy. I hope your hips are doing well, and that you have a relaxing weekend.
 
:wave:@Cynthia777 !
My hips are doing really good and getting stronger all the time. The weight machines are an enormous help. I am back to using 40-50 lbs on the leg machines which is what I was using before all my hip issues and I am definitely noticing that the stronger my legs are, the less strain on my hips because my legs are supporting me, not my hips.

I don't think I ever realized how much the hips were used for the leg extension and hamstring machines. It had gotten so bad before my surgeries that I was using no more than 10-15 lbs. which was all I could handle and I found I was not able to increase that weight until now. It's a wonderful feeling to feel strong again! I also had someone at the gym complement me on my legs this morning which tells me I'm getting my muscle tone back. I had lost so much of it with the bad hips and then a lengthy and sedentary recovery x 2. I'm back to wearing shorts to work out in instead of covering up with capris. :)

Hopefully this encourages someone else who may feel like they are lagging behind others in their recovery process. I was still 50% weight bearing on a walker while others were walking around their neighborhood with no assistive device at all. We are all individuals who have different instructions from our doctors and our bodies are all different, but eventually we all do get to the other side. :yes:
 
Wow, @Hipster Girl, I am amazed that you are using 40-50 lbs. on the leg machines. How fantastic that someone complimented you on your legs! That's great that you are wearing shorts. I feel like my legs are still kind of soggy, but I don't feel comfortable using weights on them. My hip flexors still get sore if I'm not careful. (like today they are sore just from a hike on flat land.) Anyway, I'm inspired that you have accomplished muscle tone in your legs. That's one of my goals.

I'm reading a book called Uretirement, by Chris Farrell right now. It's really interesting. He has interviewed managers in the corporate world, and many of them won't hire people over 40. Ugh! But, there's a lot of good information about "older" workers who have started their own businesses, are consulting, and making money on line.

I went grocery shopping at Sprouts the other night. The checkers were hitting each other and "play fighting." The guy waiting on me avoided eye contact and didn't answer me when I asked him a question. I just thought of you and your interviews. I had filled out an application there and didn't hear back from them. It's so different now...

Hey, how about posting a photo of yourself in your shorts. That would be really cool. Keep up the great work. What you are doing is working!
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I use 40 lbs on the leg extension and hamstring curl machines but 50 lbs on the abductor and adductor machines. I am comfortable at these weights - it is enough that it is making a difference but not too much weight so that it is a strain. I also use 55 lbs on the calf machine which is the one where you sit down and press back & forth.

The cardio is coming along too. I was so out of shape before from all the hip problems and when I started back to the gym, I would huff & puff like crazy after only a few minutes. I feel like I am slowly but surely building up stamina finally, which feels wonderful.

Can you follow up with the manager at Sprouts? I think with a local store like that, it might be easier to talk to someone in person. You could even dress in your interview clothes and show up in person and ask to speak with him. It can't hurt.

The book sounds interesting. It's a shame managers don't value older workers. I do have a couple things pending this week on the job front. Turns out I passed the testing I thought I did horrible on, and so I was called back for another interview this Thursday. I was very shocked. This is over 2 months now I have invested in this company and I am hoping & praying I finally get this job.

I also did a 30 minute phone interview for a corporation that is moving here from California and it went very well and I was told they were going to recommend me for the next step. I'm not as excited for this one because while the pay is acceptable, the benefits are nowhere near what I would expect from a large company - no 401K match, etc. But at least it's another option. I got a couple job alerts in my email and plan to submit 2-3 more applications today as well. We'll see what happens. The challenge is trying not to let all the rejection discourage me.

I love this quote from Michael Jordan:
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Hipster Girl, I love that quote. I really feel like you're going to get one of these jobs. You have been so diligent and consistent. Also, people have been so interested in you. I'm impressed.

I had to put on the Sprouts application that I can't lift 30 to 40 lbs. repeatedly. I think I would rather continue with the soap making. I really love it, and some people are selling $90,000. worth of soap a year!

I'm so glad that you are doing so well at the gym. Cardio is so healthy. I've been enjoying hiking with my dogs. Nature is so healing...
 
Oh, the 30-40 lb lifting would definitely be an issue. Good thing they mentioned that upfront. I'm happy for you that the soap making is working out so well. That is impressive that some people are selling that much - wow!
 
Yes, that's a lot of soap. I'm writing down income goals, and ordering supplies in bulk. Good luck with your next interview! I may start selling some things EBay for extra money, too.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! that's a good idea to set goals and writing them down helps to solidify them. eBay is a good option as long as you include shipping costs so you don't get stuck having to pay them.

The phone interview went well but would require frequent international travel including to the Middle East. I am definitely not interested in that (sigh). On to the next...
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Too bad that last interview wasn't right for you. It sounds like you are generating a lot of interest. I think you'd be successful working for yourself, too. You have all of the qualities that it requires. You're so disciplined and talented. Take care...
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I think I'm too spoiled with big company benefits to work for myself. I like the health care coverage and 401K match, etc. Plus my work life is also my social life and I enjoy being around lots of co-workers. I'm just not cut out to be self-employed. Besides, I don't have any creative talents to speak of. :)

I had an in-person interview this morning at the same company where I was in the final two for another position where they gave that job to the other candidate but liked me enough to recommend me to this group. That recommendation may have given me the edge this time and I think this morning's interviews went well. One of the interviewers was 20 min late so our time was very short but I hope that doesn't adversely affect my chances. I should know in a couple of days. Fingers crossed...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom