THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hipster Girl, I don't think the purse thing sounds silly at all. To me, there is nothing like carrying a new bag. It's shiny and new and gorgeous. My favorite part is if someone notices and says, "Cute bag!" Since I have to be frugal in order to indulge my bag addiction, I always buy on sale. It makes things even better to be able to say, "I got it for a steal!" :)

Hooray on your great test scores! :yay: I knew you could do it. Doggone those glitches. I'll bet that 87 (which is still really good) would have been at least your preferred 90 had there not been the bugs.

I'm glad you're feeling good about your career opportunities and the job market. I know there is a perfect position out there for you.
I hope you enjoyed your binge watching. That sounds like a great thing to do on a cold winter's day. :)

@Hip Hip Hooray! re: the flexibility vs. strengthening. I was discussing flexibility my physical therapist today, and she told me, "Flexibility will follow strength". This made me very happy and I'm inclined to think you two are spot on. My ROM and flexibility was so compromised for years and years. Lately though, I have noticed I am able to do things I haven't been able to do since I was a very young woman. That is incredible to me. :)
 
:friends:Thanks for all the encouragement on the job front. I tried putting in a couple more applications but have been having even more computer glitches...aargh. I was trying to apply for one job and the drop down box only went down to United Kingdom (United States wasn't showing up) and it was a required field. I didn't want to submit it that way because I didn't want them to reject my application based on location so I've been dealing with their technical support. And then on another site I would make it all the way through the application and then when I went to upload my resume, I would get an error message. Every time. And I tried about 10 times and had to start from the beginning every time - sooo frustrating. :tantrum:So I managed to find an online form to fill out for technical assistance and reported it. Yesterday was a very exasperating day. :bricks:

I did get one phone call to set up an interview. I had filled out an online application and at the end they had a timed behavioral assessment and skills testing that I wasn't expecting but I made it through and they called me to set up an in-person interview. I was supposed to go tomorrow but I decided to inquire about the salary range beforehand, just to make sure I didn't waste anyone's time, and it is way below what I need to make, so I am not going on the interview. On the plus side, they said a couple times how the HR Manager was impressed with my resume, so that at least makes me feel good that maybe my resume will get some takers from some of my target companies.

@Hip Hip Hooray! the funny thing is my left leg will go down all the way doing the stretch where I am laying down with my knees up and trying to lower each leg one at a time, but my right leg is the one that won't go down very far. My right hip was much worse than the left so I'm sure that's why. I just need to be patient I guess
and hopefully in time it will come.

@DeepBreath that is very encouraging what your physical therapist said about flexibility following strength. I have to say I am definitely getting stronger - the weight machines are helping with that as well as walking more than I have in years just throughout the course of a day since I am no longer in pain. I used to ration my trips even around the house because I was in so much pain. Soooo glad those days are behind me!
Have a great day everyone!:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, That sounds frustrating, the computer glitches. I hate stuff like that....it's out of your control. It's great that you are getting positive feedback about your resume, though. You were wise to check on the salary with the one interview, before wasting anyone's time. I'm impressed with all that you're doing, especially since you have a full time job.

That's interesting that your right hip is stiffer, even though you had it done before the left. Mine have both moved very slowly with that position. They do better with just one side at a time. They are finally starting to relax when I do them together. (on my back.) I think it takes a lot of relaxation in the pose, too. I bet the right one will open in time. They really yank and pull the ligaments and tendons during the surgery to get the instruments into the socket.
 
@Hipster Girl, :gaah:about the technical glitches. I feel your frustration, friend. Stuff like that is the absolute pits.
Sending good vibes that you can get those submitted without further incident.
I think the company being so impressed with your resume is terrific! I'm sorry that job was not what you needed salary wise, but the feedback you're getting about your skills is fabulous. Continued good thoughts that the exact right position finds you soon. :)
Regarding the difference in your flexibility, I am finding my experience is the same as yours. My left hip (first surgery and the worst hip) does not go down as far as my right hip. I too just figure it will take some time to get where it needs to be.
I knew reasonably that strengthening would be a key part of recovery, but I am still amazed by the progress that comes with getting those muscles in shape. It does make sense seeing as how I had such limited physical ability prior to surgery. I am definitely looking forward to seeing the improvements over the coming months. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hipster Girl - So sorry you had those computer frustrations! Been there, done that. Especially when you are already stressed about finding that good job, when the glitches get in your way it is maddening! I hope you have smooth sailing from here on and don't have to consider saying you live in the UK just to get the darn application in!

Sounds like your resume is stellar. Plus you are acing all those tests - wow! Glad you turned down the job possibility that wasn't right for you in salary, saving your time and theirs. Smart move.

You're doing so great with this job hunt! Keep it up. Fingers crossed you'll land the perfect job at the perfect time! :yes!:
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I have to do that stretch one knee at a time while on my back too and am encouraged that the left one pretty much goes all the way down. I do see some progress with the right one but not much. At the gym when I use the abductor and adductor machines, after I have done my reps I will sit with my knees straddled and hold that stretch for a minute or two which I am hoping will loosen up those muscles. It feels like it is helping.

@DeepBreath that is interesting that your first operated hip doesn't go down as far as the 2nd, same as mine. I guess it all just takes time. I got my roller on Friday and have been using it this weekend and I just love it! I have been using it in the morning and at night before I go to bed. Yesterday I used it after I got back from the gym and it felt great! It's a little hard to reach the IT bands but I find that is where it is really tight so I will definitely keep at it; it feels like it is making a difference and I bet getting the blood flow to the area is beneficial to healing.

I so agree about how the strengthening is helping with the progress. Before surgery, everything was so weak but I am finding the stronger the muscles, the less burden on the hips. I have only been working out on weekends because of my hectic schedule but thank goodness for muscle memory because even just my one day a week with weight machines seems to be making a difference for now.

I didn't do much on the job front this week. I didn't see any new jobs out on the job boards that really appealed to me. Right now since I am still employed for another month, I have the luxury of only applying for jobs that I would really like to have, then later in a couple months if I am still out of work, I may be a little more desperate and willing to open it up and apply for jobs that don't particularly appeal to me but will pay the bills. I am trying to use this as an opportunity to do something I really want to do as opposed to something I have to do, so I am hoping it works out that way. :praying:

@Readysetgo thanks friend. :) You are so right, the computer frustrations are maddening, ugh. :tantrum: The salary thing is tricky - I know they say you're not supposed to talk salary until you are offered a job but I see no reason to waste my time or theirs if the salary range isn't even in the ballpark. I feel like it is at least reasonable for them to provide a fairly large range to see if your requirements fall somewhere in between.

I have been with my current company a very long time and I am prepared to have to take a cut but I can't afford to take more than a 10-15% cut in pay because of my bill situation and trying to put my son through college. It just is what it is bill-wise and I can make some cuts in spending but I still have to pay the bills. I am targeting larger companies because I think it is more likely the pay is there, and the benefits as well. Someone told me about glassdoor.com where you can check out salary information from current or former employees and I have found that to be very helpful.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ooh @Hip Hip Hooray! I almost forgot! Yesterday for the first time since before my THR, I finally got in a workout on the StairMaster, my most favorite machine, and it felt amazing!! woot, woot, and double woot!! :dancy::happydance::egypdance:
 
That's great, @Hipster Girl. I used the stair master at the gym today, too. I was thinking about you last night, because I noticed that my right hip is tighter when I open my knee to stretch than the left. I'm right handed. Before the surgery, by left hip was the bad one. They feel the same now, except the left one is more open and relaxed.

I agree with finding a job that you really want to do. Especially since you really loved your last job. (Well, before that new woman came on to the scene.) It makes such a difference.
 
@Hipster Girl, I am glad you're liking the roller! I know for myself it has helped tremendously between my PT sessions to keep things loose and those muscles feeling good.
I'm winging good thoughts your way for job prospects that will really click for you.
Hey, exercising on the weekends is better than not exercising at all, plus you are working. That is a workout all in itself.
Take care, friend. :)
 
That's for all the good wishes on the job search. :) I am only employed at my current job for one more month so things are speeding along. I have put in about 25 applications but no one is calling and I'm not sure why. Some of those online applications force you to put in your current salary and it's a required field so I think that might be eliminating me from contention on some jobs that don't pay as much as what I make. Even though salary is negotiable, it requires a dollar amount so I can't type "negotiable" into the application.

Another thing is when the ad says they are looking for 5-7 years experience and I have a couple of decades, I wonder if age discrimination isn't coming into play a bit too? It's pretty obvious from my resume that I am not in my twenties anymore. I'm not applying for any jobs that I don't feel I am well qualified for but I'm not getting any takers. But I keep reminding myself that I've only been actively looking for a couple weeks now so no need to panic quite yet. I really thought I would have gotten some phone calls by now though.

I think I will call my recruiter back this week - she had that one job she was going to send me on an interview for but she hasn't called me back with the info. She was going to call my boss for a reference first I think, but he has been out of town due to the unexpected passing of his mother, so I wonder if the recruiter maybe just moved on to another candidate. I'll give her a call this week to find out. I have to say this looking for work is more exhausting than working, whew! I slept in both days this weekend - I didn't realize how tired I was.

Hope everyone here is having a good weekend! :SUNsmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hipster Girl, I would hate to think that companies were passing over a terrific potential employee like you simply due to age and salary. That kind of stuff always baffles me and I think it's why service at companies across the board continues to decline. No offense to the youngins, but there's tons to be said for people with experience and skill. Those things are hard earned and they pay off. Sure, you can get green workers and pay them less, but the business has to ultimately suffer.
Anyway, climbing off my soap box now.
I am keeping you in my thoughts and just know there is a good position with a smart company out there for you.
I hope the recruiter has some tips/leads for you.
I'm glad you have slept in this weekend! It sounds like you needed it. I hope you're doing kind things for yourself to say 'good job' with your work at your current company and all the equally hard effort at finding a new position.
You deserve it.
Sending good wishes for a pleasant, productive week, friend. :)
 
@DeepBreath it's funny to read some of the job postings where they go on for miles about the qualifications they want in the person they hire, and then you find out they want to pay $12/hour...really? I could probably get that at Starbucks with tips and it would be a whole lot less stressful too. Heck I might even consider that except I don't think I could be on my feet all day with my hips and all. :wink:

But you're right, there has got to be a company out there that places value on experience, so I will keep plugging away and try not to get discouraged. I met one guy at that career workshop I went to in January who used to work at one of my target companies, I think I might message him on LinkedIn to see if he can connect me with someone there. Ideally I would love to go from my current job right into a new one but we shall see.
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I think it's a great idea to message that guy from the career workshop. So often people hire others based on recommendation. Often, it comes down to who you know. I've really been seeing that in my own career history. It sounds like calling back you recruiter would be a good way to follow up, too. I am doing the same thing...sending thank you notes.

You've really been making the effort to find work. I can empathize...I'm also older than many of the people auditioning for the same jobs. It's intense at this age. Your skills are obvious to me. I hope the right person comes along soon and makes you an offer.

I'm glad you are getting enough sleep. I felt the same way yesterday. Something about looking for work really drains me. Maybe it has to do with our hips still healing. I went to bed at 7:30 p.m. last night. I was just wiped out from that audition. I guess the energy drain can still affect us.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! the age thing is tough, isn't it? You and I are about the same age and not what I consider old by any means but I am starting to see that age discrimination is real, unfortunately. I'm sure there have to be some employers that value the experience we bring to the table. I know in person I don't look anywhere near my age but they have the fields on the applications to put in your dates of employment and they are mandatory so there's not really any way around it as far as getting my foot in the door.

I agree about the energy drain - I have been running on empty. It takes more energy to look for work than it does to actually work. I am impressed with how much you practice and prepare for the auditions you go on. And the driving you have to do sometimes to get there. I hope you get some good quality rest in between. It sounds like knitting relaxes you so it's good that you have that to kind of de-stress. How is your sweater coming along?

I called Tuesday to follow up with the recruiter but have only gotten voice mail every time I called so I left a detailed message. Maybe she is out of the office this week. If I don't hear back, I will try calling again. I did ask my former boss to leave me a recommendation on LinkedIn which he was happy to do for me. He also wrote me a nice letter of recommendation that I can take with me to interviews.

I still need to follow up with the guy from the career workshop - I better get on that. I did get a call out of the blue from a recruiter who saw my profile on LinkedIn but I wasn't qualified for the position and told him so, and referred him instead to a co-worker who also is not relocating and is much better qualified for that particular job. The recruiter asked me to send him my resume anyway just in case something should come up in the future, so I went ahead and did that.

The co-worker flipped out the other day, yelling and throwing things. We were just discussing some of the details of the office move and she got angry and snapped. It was scary. I just walked away. I really thought she was going to hit me. Later in the day we ran into each other in the copy room and she said "I'm sorry if you think I snapped at you, no, not you think, I did snap at you" and then went on to excuse it by saying she's just under a lot of stress because no one is calling her for a job. Um, hello? I'm in the same boat but I'm not having a temper tantrum at work. I can't handle her fakeness right now...the truth of the matter is she is angry and feels like a lot of tasks are beneath her, such as the office move, so she can't tell the boss that, so instead she can take it out on me.

It wasn't even a sincere apology; I am sure she just didn't want to be called out on it and felt she had to say something because her behavior was so over-the-top. I just wish someone had been around to witness it but she didn't miss a beat going right back to her fake self in front of the boss. :groan:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy...that sounds so stressful. It makes me wish they had a hidden camera. I can completely relate to your post. Looking for work at this age is a challenge. That was nice of you to recommend your co worker. I hope someone does the same for you. That's usually how people get jobs. It really helps to know someone who is excellent. For me, the hardest thing is to remain positive and hopeful.

My sweater is coming along well, thanks. I made my first batch of real soap (with lye) yesterday. I'm really excited about it. I used to just use a melt and pour variety.

I hope the recruiter calls you back for another position. It's like a puzzle. All we can do is keep on looking for work and making contacts.
 
@Hipster Girl, I think it's a great idea to reconnect with the workshop fellow. I agree with @Hip Hip Hooray! about valuable connections. It's good that you heard from the one recruiter and he wanted your resume in case something else came up. It was so great of you to pass along the recommendation for your co-worker.
I am so sorry about the incident with your coworker. Ugh, why couldn't there have been somebody around to hear that mess? And the 'apology'? Give me a break. She really doesn't see that everybody in your workplace is dealing with upheaval of some sort, does she? Sending tons of good thoughts, friend. I'm sorry you've had to deal with that loon.
Continued good vibes going out for you to find the right position. It's out there! *Hugs*
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That would have been great to have a camera capture the coworker incident. I'm just trying really, really hard to ride out these remaining couple of weeks with her. Today we had a meeting and she had a handout and everyone got one except for me, haha....it's just petty stuff like that I have to shake my head in disbelief. Everybody at work is stressed out, those of us who will be out of work and also those who are moving. It's upheaval for every single one of us but she only thinks about herself. Someone clearly didn't get enough hugs as a child or something.

I need to rest a bit this weekend but would like to get at least one or two more applications in before Monday. I bought a really pretty spring skirt and jacket but I don't have any heels to go with it so I might look for shoes this weekend. It's the perfect interview outfit if I can find some shoes. It dawned on me today though that I wouldn't be able to put a pair of hose on because of my hips and my legs are too pasty white to do without. Has anyone managed putting hose on? Is there a trick?

@hip hip hooray what kind of soap is it - body soap, laundry soap? Have you used it yet?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Hipster Girl, I've worn stockings and/or tights for my auditions. I was able to put them on pretty easily. It had been a struggle the past few years. I'm not sure what the trick would be. You could try sitting down in a chair. Is the flexibility an issue? I would just take your time, and try to keep your body square.

The outfit sounds really cute. I hope you find the perfect shoes to go with it. I'm sorry that work is so stressful. When people are afraid, they are usually at their worst. I admire how hard you are working to find a new job. (Especially since you are already working full time!)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom