THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Hipster Girl, Somehow I missed all of these updates in my alerts. I'm sorry. I've been wondering how you were doing. The career transition workshop sounds like it was great! The fact that you felt energized is a very positive sign. I hope the training goes well. You sound like a good teacher.

I'm sorry that you are still having to deal with that difficult co worker. You know the saying, "One bad apple..." Group dynamics are very interesting. It sounds like some of it is generational. I'm not sure how old she is.

Take care. I'm glad to hear that your hips feel so good. It's an accomplishment to be able to be working full time with both hips replaced. I'm impressed!
 
(((@Hipster Girl)))
Sending tons of good thoughts your way as the current job winds down. I know that must be difficult for you. It would have to be odd to meet and train your replacement. Whomever it is is really lucky to have you to show her/him the ropes.
Good for you for planning to get a massage. I think some extra TLC is in order right now. You have a lot on your plate and deserve to be pampered. *Hugs* :SUNsmile:
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I think it would be easier to deal with if it was a generational thing with the co-worker but she is close to my age. I'm no psychologist but she is a twin and my thinking is that she has been used to competing for attention all her life because of that? Just a thought I had when trying to make sense of it all. It is getting more and more difficult to deal with her attention seeking and passive-aggressive attitude every day. It is nauseating how she kisses up to the bosses, always in their offices chatting them up, bringing them gifts for Boss's Day and their birthdays (traditionally we have taken the birthday person out to lunch as a department but she has to one-up everyone), etc.

Workwise, she feels like she is in competition with me for some reason and needs to build herself up by talking me down. It is getting harder and harder to bite my tongue and I am afraid I am going to speak my mind before too long. I am trying to hang in there without getting into a confrontation with her but I feel very disrespected and her actions are hurting me professionally. I am hoping she finds a job soon and will just leave. She makes her comments about me not helping her, knowing full well I can't bend down into cabinets and drawers, and pack up and lift heavy boxes right now. She is not a nice person. One of my other co-workers who is very observant has made joking comments to her about her brown-nosing and as they say, there is a lot of truth in jokes. I find it very telling that others pick up on this behavior also, except the bosses it seems.

@DeepBreath I scheduled a massage for Saturday morning and cannot wait! My shoulders and neck are so tight and tense. Gosh, compared to when I was on leave following my surgeries, it seems like it sure didn't take long for all that tension to come back, but I know it's because of all the changes going on there, and of course my co-worker. I remember how calm and peaceful it was when I was on disability and not surrounded by that attitude every day. It makes me look forward to moving on in a couple months. Just like your roommate situation, I can't imagine lighting striking twice, so I am positive that once I get through this, my next job will be a much healthier environment. In all my working life, I have never had any issues with my co-workers, until now.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
(((@Hipster Girl))) I'm so glad you booked a massage for yourself! Any kind thing you can do for yourself while you naviagate this rough bit with your coworker and the company transition is great.
It sure doesn't take a whole lot to get everything in a tight bunch, let alone dealing with an underhanded goofball.
I am so sorry that she is still making this time so difficult for you. It's bad enough you're having to part with a company where you've been happy, but to add this on top of it....not cool.
Perhaps the silver lining is, like you said, you're looking forward to moving on.
This is just my .02, Hipster, but perhaps it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if you did confront her about her shenanigans. I'm not advocating having a knock down, drag out fight, but perhaps you could think of a few key things you feel should be said to her and 'rehearse' how to say them in a concise, professional manner. That way, if the time does come where you just can't hold it in any longer, you'll have a basis for telling it like it is without flying off the handle, so to speak.
It's very interesting that your other co-worker has started making the brown nosing comments. That coworker isn't operating in a vacuum. Other people must see and hear her behaving like this. The fact that she is zeroing in on you is likely because she sees the opportunity to pick on a person who has no choice but to follow the post op restrictions or risk injury. As you said, she is not a nice person and I doubt she feels anything close to remorse for being so callous. She has no confidence in her own work ability so she must tear others down to make herself feel better. That's sad for her, but again not your problem.
Is there someone in charge you could go to to express your concerns? Let them know that this person is making the company's transition more difficult than it needs to be and is also attempting to smear your good track record as well? It sounds like you have always been a great employee. This employee is brand new and temporary, correct?
I can't imagine your other co-workers and boss taking her side over yours.
Perhaps it's time to speak up, friend. I think a lot of people like this employee are just cowards who have a knack for bullying. When you stand up to them and tell it like it is, most of them collapse like a tower of cards.
If she thinks grinding on you about you not being able to bend down and pick up heavy boxes is a good thing, contact your surgeon's office and have them send you a statement of restrictions. You're not goldbricking, you're only doing what your OS said you should in order to avoid injury. Show the OS's statement to her and anybody else who might question the situation (sounds like it's just the problem employee).
I know it's easy for me to sit here and armchair quarterback over your tough situation, but doggone if this doesn't make me mad for you! They say silence is golden, but I don't believe that's true in all cases.
If you do let fly on her one day, just make sure your ducks are in order and you say it like it is in as calm and professional a manner as possible. It might be good to do this before you reach the absolute breaking point.
I don't know about you, but I generally take and take and take and then when I blow it is epic and not always as coherent as I want it to be. :)
Big *HUGS* Friend. You don't deserve this. I'm sending tons of good thoughts your way. :console2:
(Sorry for the long rant)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hipster Girl, I'm really sorry that you're having to deal with that kind of bullying. It makes me sick. You definitely have to protect your hips, and lifting heavy boxes would be dangerous. It's too bad she's not compassionate. I kind of hope that you do confront her. When people get away with stuff like that, it makes my blood boil. No wonder you feel so tense.

I have a feeling that something better is coming. You will be able to bend down soon, and I know that anytime I lift something heavy I still pay for it. I even use my bike trailer to haul the 40 lb.bag of dog food into the house. It's just not worth taking chances. I'm glad you are being cautious.

One time there was a man in the Aqua class that was making snide, sarcastic remarks to me about how cheerful I was. (I was doing the class to help my hip pain, pre op.) He was the same type as this woman you're describing. I looked him right in the eye, lowered my voice and slowly said, "GET LOST." He was absolutely shocked. He looked like he was going to start crying. I'm never sure how to handle bullies, but this did seem to work. He looked like a little boy.

I've had some neighbors tear me down in the community, too. It's very upsetting. I feel for you. It says more about them. But, it's very difficult to deal with, and so negative and pervasive.

Keep us posted. I hope someone comes to your defense. Sometimes I just name the behavior, too. (That's the teacher in me.)

Take care of yourself. You deserve much better treatment.
 
Oh @Hipster Girl
I've just been able to catch up on your thread and am so so sorry you are having to deal with that POS at the office. That would explain why your neck and shoulders are so tense and need a good massage. I'm sure it will make you feel so much better. I used to work with a couple of "ladies", just like you have described. Even though they were very nice to my face, they were very devious. Finally, I confronted each one and told them that I didn't appreciate what they were doing and if it continued, I would have a conversation with the boss and HR. They liked me even less after that, but I felt so much better getting it off my chest. They didnt stop the nonsense, entirely, but since they knew I was on to them, they did tone it down considerably. As it turned out, the boss actually knew what was going on and both were eventually let go. So, karma is a wonderful thing. Does she know that you have restrictions you have to observe? I so agree with @DeepBreath that maybe it is time to speak up and clear the air. At least, you will have a little piece of mind while preparing yourself to move on to your next job.
With all that said, you sound like you are doing so well with your recovery. Your are still in your "first trimester" of recovery. Wait til the 2nd trimester! You will see a marked improvement in your energy and the little aches and pains will start disappearing. Have a wonderful day!!!
:hi::flwrysmile:
 
:flwrysmile:Thank you for all your support - you guys are the best!! It is great to know someone has my back. Running out the door for work now but I will update later. Big ((((HUGS)))) to all of you! :friends:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Readysetgo, thank you - I had a wonderful massage; it was just what the doctor ordered! I couldn't believe how tense I was. Today I am drinking plenty of water to flush out the toxins. I'm not really sure what that means but that's what they told me to do, ha

@DeepBreath, @Hip Hip Hooray! and @Nana757, thanks for the great advice and even more so, the support! I haven't had to deal with this type of person in the workplace before so I've been at a loss regarding how to handle it. I think @DeepBreath had a good idea to sort of rehearse what I am going to say and maybe say something sooner rather than later so I don't just let all that's built up come out all at once. I will look for opportunites this week to say things to her in the moment rather than letting the frustration build. I definitely don't want to involve my boss or HR or anything like that. It's just not worth all that at this point and I'm just trying to keep a low profile as they continue to let people go.

@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm proud of you for speaking your mind to the bully in your Aqua class! You are so calm and mild mannered that he must have really been over the top for you to tell him to get lost, but I bet that felt great and so empowering - good for you! @Nana757 good for you too, confronting the women in your workplace. I guess this bullying is more common than I had realized. I guess I have been very fortunate that I only recently have had to deal with it and that I know it will be short-lived. It's mind-boggling to me, really. I mean we spend so much of our day in the workplace that it would seem people would want to get along with those they work with. I just don't understand why these people purposely make it an unpleasant environment.

The massage helped a great deal yesterday and I went to the gym today and did the Adaptive Motion Trainer and some weight machines on low weight. I am finding that the stronger my leg muscles are getting, the less strain on my hips. I even tried out the upright bike just to see if I could. I did only 5 minutes with no resistance and I will see if I have any adverse affects but so far I feel good. Tomorrow may be a different story so I will ice and elevate tonight just in case. Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!
:flwrysmile:
 
Congratulations on all of your progress, @Hipster Girl. It sounds like your workouts are going really well. You are wise to ice and elevate tonight. I've been doing that again, and it makes all the difference.

I'm glad you are going to confront the bully at work. It sounds like she needs some boundaries to me. Take care...
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! thanks, it does feel like I'm making some progress. I just wish I had more time during the week. I've only been exercising on Sat & Sun for now because of time constraints. I wish I could squeeze in at least one workout during the week but it's just been too hectic so I'm doing what I can for now. I went later today than normal and I did notice there is a section of the pool that is open where I could do some water workouts so maybe I will give that a try in the near future. Take care, friend.
:flwrysmile:
 
I definitely don't want to involve my boss or HR or anything like that. It's just not worth all that at this point and I'm just trying to keep a low profile as they continue to let people go.
Ah, very wise. I can absolutely see your point. I so agree with you about not understanding why some people seem to seek out strife in the work place rather than just trying to get along.
I'm glad your massage went well and your workout sounded great. Yaay for icing and elevating. I just commented on Hip Hip's thread that I still ice and elevate at the end of a busy day as well. It just feels great.

I'm sending good wishes out for you that this week is a good one. If you do decide it's the right thing to say something to the problem employee I know you'll do it in a professional manner and you'll be justified in doing so.
It's so not fun to have to confront people, so supportive vibes going out for you regarding that.

Have a super week, Hipster. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Hipster Girl, It sounds like your job is also physical therapy. You are up and around, and working. That's totally different than if you were resting and icing all day. I hope things are improving at work.

It's actually really disciplined of you to be exercising on the weekends. I would probably need a break. That section of the pool sounds good. Water workouts are excellent. I hope all is well with you...
 
I didn't realize it's been 2 weeks since I posted an update - things have been so busy and time has gotten away from me. My problem co-worker is showing her true colors now that time is winding down, she is calling off sick when she's not sick, coming in late, and otherwise taking advantage of the situation. Funny thing is that on top of that, she then tries to play the martyr: "can I take 1 hour vacation to do a phone interview"? so the boss will feel sorry for her and think how awesome it is she's willing to give up vacation time when he doesn't see she has been coming in late every day. It's so ridiculous I just have to roll my eyes. I was doing some research on personality disorders and found she exhibits every single symptom of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. The good thing is she's been less of an issue to me lately because I've been too busy to focus on her antics.

I finally got my resume done - a couple versions of it actually, depending on which type of job it is and which skills I need to emphasize for the position. This week I applied online for 10 jobs and had one phone interview which went well but the pay was too low so the interviewer told me she would keep me in mind for future positions when something else opened up with higher pay. For the others, they were big corporations with lots of competition so I might get lost in a sea of applicants but we shall see. The process is exhausting but I am trying to tailor my resume and cover letter for each job, hoping it will give me an edge and get me an interview.

We are off on Monday so I have an appointment with a recruiter. They do a skills assessment and she sent me the link late on Friday so I've busy this weekend taking these online exams. I still have two more to go. I was having technical issues yesterday and called their technical support and was just so exasperated and overwhelmed and tired, that I started sobbing while I was on the phone with them. It's kind of funny now because I am sure they think I am nuts and wonder why is this person crying over computer issues but I think it is just too much all at once and I haven't had any time to decompress.

My hips feel really good when I'm walking but I still need to work on my range of motion and have been lax in doing the PT exercises. I know I need to be better about doing them. I'm going to carve out time today to go to the gym and also to do the basic PT exercises. I still can't put my foot up on my opposite knee so this morning before I got out of bed, I put my legs in that position while laying down and did a stretch. Maybe if I start by doing it laying down, then once it loosens up, I will be able to do it while sitting up? That's my goal anyway.
I hope everyone here is having a fantastic weekend! :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hipster Girl, wow, your schedule sounds super busy. Rolling my eyes over your problem coworker. She truly is a professional victim, isn't she? Good luck to her. It sounds like with her (untreated) issues she will have a tough time of it throughout life. She may fool a few people for a little while, but with that behavior she's not going to be able to fool people for long.
I'm sending tons of good wishes for you regarding the resumes you've submitted. It sounds like you're doing all you can do. The right position is out there for you. Keep the faith, friend. :)
The appointment with the recruiter and the skills assessment sounds promising. I'm sorry you were having technical issues. That can drive anybody to tears (or a rage induced crime).
Hey! I think it sounds really promising that you can get your foot into that position while lying down. I'd say that's a really good sign. 'Small steps' will equal a big accomplishment one day. :)

Chin up, friend! You're going to reach all those goals you're working so hard to gain now.
Sending good wishes for the upcoming week. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @DeepBreath, some of the jobs I applied for had been posted for several weeks and I probably submitted my resume too late but three of those companies are on my short list of target companies so hopefully they will keep my resume on file for future opportunities. If I am fortunate enough to get any interviews, I am going to go to as many as I can because I am rusty and need the interview practice. Unlike my problem coworker, I tend to downplay any strengths but when applying for a job, you kind of have to sell yourself. That's the part I don't like.

I had to chuckle on your rage induced crime comment :snork: I was just so exasperated and couldn't help myself. I feel sorry for the technical support people who had to help me (yes, I called multiple times :wink: )

I'm feeling better today. Went to the gym earlier and did 30 minutes on the upright bike and then some of the weight machines. It felt really good. Then I went to Kohl's to buy a purse for tomorrow's meeting with the recruiter. My favorite purses are the ones I can cram everything but the kitchen sink into but they aren't very professional looking so I bought a new one today. It was on sale and I got to use my Kohl's cash so it only ended up costing $24. It is a nice purse and will make me feel more polished.

I finally finished up all my testing tonight and will find out my scores tomorrow. I think I did well on most of them but I don't know how the computer glitches are going to hurt me because some of the questions I had to keep repeating. I am one of those nerdy people that don't want to just pass but want to get at least a 90 on all of them so I've been watching tons of youtube educational videos this weekend before taking my tests. I'll be curious to see how I did. My appointment was moved from tomorrow afternoon to tomorrow morning. I can't wait to get it over with so I can finally catch a breather and relax tomorrow afternoon and evening. I'm going to take it much easier this week and very much looking forward to that. :yes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hipster Girl, interviews are definitely nerve wracking. I think going on as many interviews as you can is a good plan. Hopefully there won't be too many before you find just the right position. :)

I am so not a techy person. If things don't work exactly as they're supposed to (and how often does that happen?) I go crazy. I'm glad the tech people were there to help you, but honestly if the system worked the way it should then you wouldn't have had to call multiples time.

Yay about the gym. That sounds like a great workout. :)
I got a tingle when you were talking about your new purse that you got for a bargain! I'm not a shoe person, but handbags? Oh yeah.... :) There's something so wonderful about carrying a sharp new bag somewhere.
I'm hoping your appointment went well and that you got great test scores. I don't think it's nerdy at all to want to do really well on a test. Why take it otherwise?

Have a super day, friend! I'm glad you have a more chill week ahead of you. You really deserve that. :)
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, For some reason, your updates didn't show up on my alerts. I'm so impressed with all of the interviews that you are doing. I bet you really stand out from the crowd. You have such great attention to detail, and sound so conscientious. I agree with you about getting the practice. I do the same thing with auditions. It's a skill. The purse sounds really pretty.

It's too bad that you're still having to deal with that difficult co worker. Those kind of people can really zap your energy. It sounds like you are taking the high road.

I wouldn't worry about that hip stretch that you mentioned. I am at almost six months from surgery, and although I can now do it sitting down, my knee doesn't fall open easily. It still sticks up at an angle. That part of the hip is still stiff. I've found that my hips are opening and relaxing in other stretches with time. At first I did the foot to knee laying down, with the opposite foot on the floor. It's less stress on the joint that way. From there, I slowly started lifting the foot up to the side of the couch or wall. That's a difficult stretch. My sense is that on my body it will take a year to fully release and relax. (I had my surgery in Aug.) You sound like you're making great progress to me. I just checked your dates. That's great that you got to the gym.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! good to know about the stretch. I can only do it laying down if I use a pillow (actually I got that tip from one of your posts about using a pillow although a different stretch). I am going to try doing it gradually using your method. I know I wasn't this stiff before surgery but of course I had all those other issues, like crunchy bone on bone pain :)

@DeepBreath my new purse made all the difference today as silly as that sounds, and everything went better than I expected. I even aced the stairs to the building the recruiter was in. I wouldn't have been able to do that before, and I found a wave of gratitude coming over me that I feel so normal.

I did very well on my exams, getting 97 on all but one that I got an 87 on. Funny thing is the one I got the 87 on is the one I knew the best but I was having the computer issues so I wasn't able to complete some of the answers. I could ask to retake it but I know that I know the material so I'm okay with that score.

The recruiter has a position she wants me to interview for but it is downtown but they will be moving a tad bit closer in April. It's still pretty far from the preferred area I gave her and the job itself doesn't sound terribly appealing but she was encouraging me to go and told me I could tell her I'm not interested if I go and it doesn't sound like something I want. The good thing is I walked away from our meeting feeling more confident like there really is a position out there for me, and the market is really good right now. I am going to take it easy the rest of the day and binge watch some TV. :dancy:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Wow! You are doing so well. Those are excellent scores. It sounds like the recruiter really likes you, too. I have a feeling you will have a new job lined up very soon.

I don't know about you, but I've been focusing more on strength than flexibility with my hips. I'm trying to rebuild as much muscle as I can. I'm really surprised with how flexible I am at six months. I still have a tiny straddle, but I'm hoping that will open in time. Keep me posted on your ROM. For me, it's something that returns very gradually. It's like it's happening when I sleep!

I hope you enjoyed the t.v. You deserve it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom