THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't they realize everybody gets older, including them?? :sigh:
There's the rub. I think quite a few of the people making decisions actually don't want to acknowledge that they themselves will one day be older and still trying to make a decent living. For all those who participated in ageism, I hope they are made very aware of how wrong they were. I know that's not nice of me, but I stand by it.
I'm so sorry to hear about the rejection emails, @Hipster Girl. I'm sending out renewed good vibes for you. Like @Hip Hip Hooray! says, "Just press on, Honey". That perfect position is out there! :flwrysmile:
 
Exactly @hip hip hooray, these new hips make me feel younger too. If this was last year and I was still limping around, I could see how I would appear older, but not now. I think Menopause the Musical would have been such a fun show but it makes you wonder, do they expect a twenty-something to play the part? That is one role I would think they would specifially target a little older (not old, but slightly older) performer. The right part is out there. I think your friend was on to something with the "press on" statement - words to live by! :yes:

I think I prefer the rejection notices to not hearing at all. I think it's terribly inconsiderate for them not to contact you. I know what that feels like and I get a lot of those silent rejections too. I will try to remember to "press on" too - I really like that!
@DeepBreath thanks for the support and encouragement friend! :flwrysmile:

I touched base with the recruiter today. One job she had previously told me about has already been filled. It was downtown and I wasn't particularly thrilled about the location or the hours, even though the job itself was a good fit so maybe it was for the best. She said she might have another position next week that she thinks I would be a good fit for, so we shall see.
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I think what happened with Menopause the Musical is that the woman playing the part is still there. All of the women in that cast are "older," but because of that, they stay in the show for a longer time. I'll just keep in touch with them. I'm probably on file. So much of it is timing. One woman has been doing that show for ten years!

I'm glad that your recruiter might have another position next week. That's encouraging. It's good that she's thinking about you.
 
@Hipster Girl, any time, friend. :)

@Hip Hip Hooray! Wow, I had no idea that people dug in and held on to roles for that length of time. It does make sense though. Sending good vibes that you will get great news regarding a role soon! :flwrysmile:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! that makes sense then if other women are staying in those roles longer - like @DeepBreath I didn't realize that either. 10 years is a long time for the one woman to be doing that show, wow! You are so right that timing is everything. Keep the faith - the right door is going to open for you when the timing is perfect. :flwrysmile:
 
Just caught up on your thread @Hipster Girl. I'm so sorry you are hitting such road blocks in your search for a job position. Last night one of our presidential candidates actually just mentioned your plight (older Americans looking for employment) and how very difficult it is for them. Many older job seekers have so much to offer, with years of experience behind us (NOTHING beats experience)! I remember many years ago when I was interviewing potential job applicants, the lady I hired was in her 50's. I really wanted to hire one of the other applicants, but when this lady looked right into my eyes and said, "I don't know why, but I want this job sooo bad", I didn't have the heart to not hire her (I laid awake that night trying to figure out how to tell her she didn't get the position...I called every applicant, informing them that the position had been filled...not easy)! She ended up being a great employee and worked for me for 18 years! I'm praying the perfect position comes along soon for you and they won't have the heart to tell you, you didn't get the job!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! that makes sense then if other women are staying in those roles longer - like @DeepBreath I didn't realize that either. 10 years is a long time for the one woman to be doing that show, wow! You are so right that timing is everything. Keep the faith - the right door is going to open for you when the timing is perfect. :flwrysmile:

Sorry, I forgot to respond to this, @Hipster Girl. Yes, I think people stay for a long time, because they know what the odds are of getting another show. When I was young, I went from show to show. I'm just staying open to all opportunities.
 
@Cynthia777, I could not agree more that nothing beats experience. It seems the emphasis these days is on having a degree but it doesn't seem to matter what the degree is in or if it's even applicable to the job, just the fact that someone finished 4 years of college. I don't have a degree but I have tons of experience and a solid work ethic which should be worth something. The millennials that companies target don't all have the best work ethic. Many of them finish college and then think the world owes them a corner office and six-figure income. But these are the candidates that companies actively recruit while those of us who are older with real world experience don't get a second glance.

I love your story about hiring the woman in her 50's who ended up being a great employee and working for you for 18 years. I know from reading your posts that you are a woman of faith and it seems God directed your path in that instance and it worked out for both of you. I hope He will similarly guide the path of some potential employer for me. :yes:

I went to a party at my old boss's home last night and got to see many retirees from the same company I am leaving and they are all so grateful they got out when they did. They have all heard about the depressing atmosphere at the office and how no one is smiling or laughing anymore. It was sooo nice to see those familiar faces of people I worked with for so many years and it just really drove home how different things are now. It's not the same as it used to be and not the healthiest of environments these days.

It feels like things are so much out of my control these days and that is hard for me because I am so used to being in control of everything. I had a great workout at the gym yesterday on the StairMaster and I could feel some of the stress melting away. That is such a great stress reliever. I also have a massage scheduled this morning that I desperately need. Then I will spend the day doing laundry and getting things ready for the work week.

This week will be a lot different because the new hires who are replacing those of us who are not relocating will be in town to train with us. I hope they are nice and that it isn't too terribly awkward. In preparation, I sent the two I will be training a lot of work emails last week and barely heard a peep back so I don't know if they were just busy with orientation or what. I kind of thought they would at least acknowledge some of the emails but they didn't. :unsure: I really want them to succeed in their new roles and for this to be as seamless transition as possible.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, I wish you lived close by because I would hire you in a New York minute. I'm actually looking for an assistant and I can only pray I come across someone like you! I have read your posts and KNOW you have much to offer! The Lord may well have been closing doors on your job quest because He has a much bigger and better job opportunity for you ahead. Many unseen blessings are sent our way on our journey through life. We may not understand why, but He sure knows what He's doing (I sure hate these lessons in trust, if you know what I mean). Keep the faith my friend and know you are in my prayers daily!

Ooh, don't get me started on entitlement issues...yikes! As the old saying goes, "Things ain't what they used to be"!!!!!

You're a great gal @Hipster Girl and would be an awesome addition to any company!
 
@Cynthia777 , I too wish I lived close to you too since you would hire me :heehee:

Seriously though, you are so right about the lessons in trust. I know God has His hand on this situation but it's so hard not knowing what His plan is or the timing. I had a dear friend tell me the reason I haven't gotten a job yet is that the door isn't ready to be opened yet. It's just hard since I don't do well with the unknown. I'm a planner by nature. Thank you so much for the prayers because I know there is power in prayer.

On the hip front, I just got back from having a massage this morning and for the very first time since before my surgeries, I was able to lay on my stomach no problem whatsoever so I'm pretty excited about that milestone :)

@Hip Hip Hooray! I remembered to check the prices on the handmade soaps at the massage place and they were selling each bar for $9 each. I checked several of them and they were all the same price, regardless of design or scent.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend and not too groggy from losing an hour of sleep with the time change. :flwrysmile:
 
You're so welcome!

On the hip front...you know, I haven't even tried laying in my stomach yet (my sleeping preference). I have had no problems sleeping on my side for weeks. I had the anterior approach, so my incision is located on the front of my hip. Which approach did you have @Hipster Girl?
 
@Hipster Girl - I'm happy you had a good time at your old boss's party. You deserve some fun with all you're striving for and coming up against these days! Working out also does relieve the stress, doesn't it? Just moving to get your mind off of things... And glad you got a massage - much needed. Fabulous that you can be on your stomach with no problems now. Love those milestones! :yes!:

Sure you don't want to move to California? So sweet of @Cynthia777 to say she'd hire you in a New York minute! I bet you two would be dynamos together!

Good luck to you this week. I'll be thinking of you! :flwrysmile:Hoping that everything goes great with the training and that some new work opportunities or leads come your way soon.
 
@Cynthia777 I had the anterior approach too but my OS is ultra cautious. That is great that you have been sleeping on your side already! Do you use a pillow between your knees so you don't cross mid-line or are you off all restrictions? I have only been sleeping on my back all this time since my surgeries but I prefer my side or stomach so it might be time for me to try that.

@Readysetgo haha......I LOVE California but don't see that move happening any time soon although I sure would love to work for someone like @Cynthia777!! I hope I can be as lucky enough to find a great boss like I'm sure she is! Thanks for thinking of me - it should be an interesting week. :)
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I know what you mean, I'm a planner, too. Things feel very up in the air with me, as well. I'm glad you went to the party. It sounds like you really loved your old job with the other group of people who worked there. I hope you can match that energy in your next position. You sound very reliable and conscientious. I don't have a degree, either. I really think your resume and abilities are what matter. You have so much experience. it really shows in your writing. I am saying prayers for you, too.

Thanks for checking on the prices of soap for me. That's good to know. Mine is still drying on the racks. It might be something I can do in my spare time, so I always have a stash to sell.

Working out helps me release stress and worry, too. I'm glad you've been getting to the gym. The massage sounds wonderful!
 
@Hipster Girl
Honestly, my OS told me at least three times (I kept asking him just to verify) that I had no restrictions whatsoever. I've been sleeping quite cimfortably on my side sometime at the end of the first week (op side was more comfortable), with no pillow between my legs. However, maybe your OS has a reason why he put you on this restriction? From what I've read, anterior approaches usually don't have the leg crossing issue. I would make a call to your OS just to verify what his reason is and more than likely it's as you said, he's just being more cautious.
 
You girls @Readysetgo and @Hipster Girl made me blush!

Wouldn't it be so cool to have a reunion of sorts, meeting up sometime down the road? I've been seriously considering hosting a three or four night sleepover to some of my favorite buddies here on BS, either next year or the following year. Our home is located on Orr's Island in Maine. If any of you would like to check it out, you can google "Kinsale by the sea" (we rent it out while we aren't using it). I think we would all have such a great time, giggling, laughing and sharing all of our war stories!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hip Hip Hooray! it really was a great group of people who used to work there and it was great to see them all again. One thing that struck me is how much retirement agrees with them and how evident the stress and worry was gone from their faces. The stress of Corporate America can really take its toll especially with all the changes over the past year.

@Cynthia777 that sounds like such a fun time! I googled "Kinsale by the sea" and the ocean view is just breathtaking. Is this your vacation home? One would be hard pressed to feel any stress whatsoever in an environment like that - it looks so calm and peaceful, just beautiful. :SUNsmile:
 
@Hipster Girl

Yes, it's our vacation home and has been in the family for three generations. We always go for at least two weeks in July (family reunion) and rent it out for the rest of the summer. Next year (or the following year depending on business) I'd like to see the fall colors, so we've been thinking about taking a second trip during September and staying until mid October. It's surrounded by pine trees and has the most calming effect (almost to the point of being sedating). :-)
 
@Cynthia777 the pictures are just gorgeous! What a perfect location for a vacation home and family reunions! :yes: That sounds like a good plan to go for a second trip in Sept-Oct. There is nothing as beautiful and serene as the leaves changing color in the fall in the Northeast.:)

@Hip Hip Hooray! How soon until your soaps are dry? I would love to see a pic if you can post it. They sound just lovely. I was paying closer attention to all the different designs and fragrances of the soaps at the spa yesterday because of you now making soaps, and I can tell how much goes into making each bar. I think doing it in your spare time and having an available stash to sell is a great idea.

I had another great workout yesterday - cardio only but a great stress reliever. This week is going to be challenging. Drinking a cup of coffee now and about to head out the door for work. Hope everyone here has a good Monday!:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, The soaps take about 5-6 weeks to cure. (I think. I have to check my notes.) I may try using one bar at the beginning of April. I still have one left from my melt and pour batch that I made last year. The longer they dry, the longer they last. It's really fun. I just love the feeling of quality soap. It's a nice luxury.

Glad to hear you had another great workout. You're right, cardio is a great stress reliever. I think I may go back to the gym again today. It helps to have those endorphins pumping through the body.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom