THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I almost forgot. It's body soap. It has olive oil and coconut oil in it. It has to cure for 5-6 weeks. I'm excited to use it. Patience is not my strong point. I've made melt and pour soaps before, but this is my first time making cold processed soap. Melt and pour you can use right away. I just popped the new soap out of the molds. I make my own laundry soap, too. Suzie Homemaker...that's me!
 
@Hipster Girl, I went to a cocktail party at the end of January and wore a tea length dress. My legs are so white and I knew I'd have to have stockings of some sort. I ended up buying these from Amazon:
** Darn, I put in the URL but when I double checked it after posting it said it wasn't a valid one on the site. The name of the stockings are: Leg Avenue Women's Stay Up 3-Inch Lace Top Thigh Highs.
They are thigh high stockings and I was able to put them on with my sock aid just slick as a whistle. They are very comfortable and the silicone lace top stays up perfectly. I thought they were a pretty good bargain.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend and that you're able to find a perfect pair of shoes to go with your new intereview outfit!
Sending good wishes as always. You've been a trooper throughout this whole process and I know it hasn't been easy. *Hugs* :)
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! yes, it's the flexibility that's an issue - I just wasn't sure I would be able to put on stockings but @DeepBreath that is encouraging that you were able to do it with your sock aid so hopefully that works for me too.

Thanks for the tip on the thigh highs, those look like exactly what I need. I have been reading some online articles about hosiery being back in style thanks to Kate Middleton and I am so glad it is! I just feel so much more pulled together when I wear stockings. I always wear pants to work but I would like to be able to wear a skirt to interview and my legs are super white and I don't feel comfortable going bare legged. To me, there are certain times when hosiery is a must - weddings, funerals, interviews, cocktail parties, and all formal occasions. I remember going to a bridal show last year with a friend who was getting married and the models who had on wedding gowns were bare legged and it just looked so "off" with something as formal as a wedding dress.

@Hip Hip Hooray! your body soap sounds so luxurious! I am impatient too and it would be so hard for me to wait or 6 weeks to use it but I am sure it will be well worth the wait and how satisfying to know that you made it yourself. Yes, Suzie Homemaker is right! You are an inspiration! :SUNsmile:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I wear stockings, too. My legs are white with freckles. I like the little black dress with sheer black stockings and pumps. I'm curious to hear if you will be able to put your stockings on at this point. I was surprised at how much easier it was for me compared to before the surgery. Everything just seems to take time and patience. Your post made me realize that I can now put on my undies, socks, and tights without pain or difficulty. It was really hard for the three years before the surgery. I used to be in the bathroom at auditions for ages, trying to get dressed. I don't miss those days! I still have a little trouble buckling my dance shoes. Pumps are easier.

Thanks for the encouragement with the soap. I feel like a little kid with her first bicycle. I keep checking it.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! that sounds like a fun project...can you tell any difference when you check it?

I'm glad to know I'm not alone with the stockings. For quite a few years, the fashion industry was encouraging everyone to go bare legged but I've always thought my legs looks better with stockings especially since I'm so pasty white. For years I would tan so I could go without but I try not to tan anymore since so much more is known about how it's not good for us.

it's funny you say that about the pumps because I was shoe shopping this morning and found the perfect pair of shoes to complete my outfit but they have buckles and I thought how in the world am I supposed to buckle them? So I'm on the hunt for some nude pumps. I actually had more flexibility before surgery and I didn't have to worry about the 90 degree thing so I could twist more to be able to put my shoes on. I'm just concerned now about bending too far. All the shoes I've been wearing have been slip-ons and I still use the long handled shoe horn that came with my hip kit.
 
If I remember correctly, you had the anterior method. Is that right? That's what I had. I don't know what your surgeon said, but mine said that I can do anything that is comfortable. I never had the 90 degree restriction. I wonder if you start to ease slowly down putting on your shoes if your body will release? He told me to work gradually.

And yes, the soap does change, and I can definitely tell the difference. It's drying out. It's gone from green, to brown, to tan, to creme, and now white. It's really cool...
 
@Hipster Girl, I'm glad the stockings sound like something you'd like. I was really pleased with how comfortable they are. I agree about being glad that stockings are coming back. I feel more put together when I wear them.
I have also found I have less flexibility than I did prior to surgery due to not feeling comfortable twisting around while sitting down. I'm hoping that improves with time.
The nude pumps sound like a terrific addition to your interview outfit. They're classic and go with so many things.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! that is so cool about the soap changing color so you can see the progress. I bet that is exciting, seeing your handiwork in action and I bet it smells wonderful!

You have a good memory, yes, I had the anterior method but my surgeon put me on the 90 degree restriction so even though I'm pretty far out from surgery now, I still don't feel comfortable going past that too much, even if I could.

@DeepBreath yesterday was very challenging for me with the shoe shopping. I went to a couple stores including DSW - I don't think I have ever been there; my goodness, I have never seen so many shoes! Anyways, I had tennis shoes and socks on but I was looking for dress shoes so I had to take my socks off without my sock aid and put those little nylon thingies on that they have by the shoes in order to try on shoes. My right hip has hardly any rotation at all and it was very hard for me to put them on. Plus being a Saturday it was super crowded so definitely not smart planning on my part. I did find a pair of nude pumps but had to go up a 1/2 size because they weren't leather so they wouldn't stretch. They will work perfectly with my interview suit. Now all I need is an interview! :wink:
 
@Hipster Girl, ugh...shoe shopping under those kinds of conditions sounds not very fun! I'm glad you found a nice pair though. It made me think of 'Field of Dreams' "If you build it, he will come"...except that you've built your lovely interview outfit and now the interviews will come. :)
 
oh, I like the way you think @DeepBreath and I soooo hope you are right! Bring on the interviews, I am ready! :yes!:

The shoe shopping was a gentle reminder that I am still healing and even though I feel so much better than pre-surgery, there are still some things I can't do quite yet...it is a process.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Those interviews will come, @Hipster Girl, and you'll go into them looking mah-velous!
You are so right about it being a process. Now that I am quite comfortable with walking without any sort of aid and have kind of 'leveled out' as far as super recovery leaps go, I sometimes feel a bit impatient. I try to remind myself to remain grateful because it is just miles better than what it was before.
I go in for a check up with my OS tomorrow. I am kind of wondering if he will scold me for not doing more ROM exercises since he lifted my restrictions at my last appointment in early January. At that point I was still on my cane and the thought of walking without it was unbelievable. I tend to be super cautious and am taking things slowly with movements that break the former restrictions. I do cross midline a lot and bend farther than 90 degrees and am much more comfortable twisting, but I have yet to feel brave enough to do 'official' PT exercises employing those movements. I figure I'll get where I need to go and I'm happy doing it at a pace where I'm comfortable. :)
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Oh, I didn't realize you had a 90 degree restriction. That makes sense. It sounds like it was hard to try on shoes at the shoe store. I'm glad you found some nude pumps. I was looking at some of those at T.J. Maxx. They were patent leather. Your outfit sounds really cute. I will be visualizing work opportunities coming to you. I feel the same way. I do have one audition next week. It's intense, looking for work at this age.
 
@Hipster Girl - Sorry you had a rough time shoe shopping. But sounds like you found the perfect interview shoes, so good for you!

I hope those interviews start coming your way soon! It can be so frustrating sending out resumes to what seems like outer space and not getting replies. Hang in there and something great will come your way. It takes such patience...

Hope you had a great weekend and are refreshed for your busy week to come. :)
 
@DeepBreath I hope all goes well at your OS appointment tomorrow. I think it's great that you have a follow-up this far out to really assess your progress. For some reason, my surgeon only had us go back to see him at 4 weeks & 8 weeks, now I don't go back until one year which I think is too far away. There is so much that happens in those early months that I would welcome a little guidance from my OS instead of kind of figuring things out on my own. He is a great surgeon but the follow-up has been a bit lacking for my taste.

@Hip Hip Hooray! what is your audition for this week? Oh, and I keep forgetting, I read that some of the ladies from your knitting group were interested in purchasing your soaps and you asked what would be a good price. When I go for massage therapy, they have handmade soaps for sale in the waiting room and I think they are around $8-$12, I will double check next time I go in. I'll be going in at the end of the month. I think your soaps sound so pretty and feminine with the roses and flowers. And I am very impressed that you were able to do all the conversions from the metric system. I wouldn't have a clue how to do that! :scratch:

Thanks for the good wishes @Readysetgo - yup, it feels like my resumes are ending up in a black hole somewhere. Aside from contacting my recruiter, I am probably going to take it easy as far as submitting applications the next couple weeks while I wrap things up at my current job. It's too much doing both. Then I will hit it full steam ahead in April. I need a breather for now.
 
@Hipster Girl, thank you for the good wishes. I'm happy that he is seeing me this far out as well. I'm not sure what the follow up timeline will look like from here on out, but I always have my long list of questions for each stage of recovery. I know for the surgeons this is all in a day's work, but for us it's all brand new.
I'll admit that I want my hand held through this! :)

Sending tons of good wishes for your last couple of weeks at work. I'm sure it's getting challenging now that it's down to the nitty gritty of the transition. Good for you for knowing what you need to focus on. Have a great week. :)
 
@DeepBreath, our replacements have been hired and are starting tomorrow but they won't be coming up to train with us until next week. Now that they are officially hired, it is getting down to the wire. Thanks for all the good wishes - you're right it is getting challenging and also emotional in a lot of ways but in a way the changing of the seasons with Spring upon us and it being a season of new beginnings, it's almost symbolic in a way. I know it's silly but I'm glad it's happening this time of year for that reason.

I am sure the surgeon will be well pleased with all your progress. It's good that you take a long list of questions with you for your follow-up appointments. I hope he takes the time to answer everything tomorrow and that you leave there with the answers you need. Please keep us posted on how it goes. :)
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I used an on line calculator to convert the measurements. Otherwise I would have been lost. Thanks for telling me the price at the massage place. That's a lot higher than I expected. I was going to charge $6.00 for a single bar, $20.00 for 4, and $90.00 for a bulk batch of 20 bars. You've got me thinking...

My audition is for a show in Vegas. The character is a star in her forties, and she wears a corset. I'm usually typed into those spots, because I was a dancer. We'll see. It will be good practice. I may go buy another bombshell bra in suntan, and a pair of pumps like yours. How you look is so much in this business.

I understand how emotional it is when you are in limbo, work-wise. I've been waking up in the middle of the night. It's a challenge to stay calm and keep plugging away at opportunities. I hope the transition at work goes smoothly. It sounds like you deserve a break.
 
@Hipster Girl, I don't think it's silly at all to be glad this transition is happening at this time of year. I am a very 'symbolic' person and the seasons all have certain meanings for me. I love the thought of you coming out of your 'chrysalis' and fluttering off to a brand new opportunity. That's exactly the image I'm going to have in my mind as I send good thoughts your way! :flwrysmile:
 
ooh, I love that image @DeepBreath! :)

@Hip Hip Hooray! the show in Vegas sounds interesting - I hope it's a great audition. Is the corset uncomfortable?

I'm sorry to hear you are waking in the middle of the night but I definitely understand it. It's mentally very draining and unnerving to be in limbo. I had two more rejection emails waiting for me when I got home from work today. It's hard to dust off and keep going but that's what we have to do. I don't know what people have against older workers - don't they realize everybody gets older, including them?? :sigh:

I like your idea of giving a small price break if someone purchases multiple bars - that's a great idea and will encourage people to buy extras as gifts.
 
I know what you mean about older workers. It's a weird feeling. Now that I have my new hips, I don't feel old. Oh well. We just need one person to make us an offer. I thought that had happened with Menopause the Musical, but I didn't get a contract.

I'm sorry you got those rejection notices. That must be difficult. In my business you just don't hear from them. Either way, it's a challenge. As my dance partner used to tell me, "Just press on Honey, press on." He was very successful.

Oh, you asked if the corset is uncomfortable. Probably. No more uncomfortable than a bad hip, I'm sure. The costume designers are usually excellent. I think it's probably just like wearing a tight dress. We'll see if I get that far...that in itself would be an accomplishment!

I'm visualizing the best for you. Take care of yourself.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom