THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations on the accomplishment, @Hipster Girl! What a wonderful thing. :)
I'm interested to hear what others will have to say about your putting on your socks question. I'm still using my sock aid and suspect I'll be doing so for quite some time yet.
SO happy that you're feeling and doing so great. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Guys! I was able to put my socks on the day after my surgery, but that was because I had the anterior method, and it didn't affect my flexibility in that area. The therapist at the hospital had me put my foot up next to me on the chair, and do it that way. I had to be able to put those stockings on, in order to go home.

It sounds like your workouts are going really well, @Hipster Girl. I know what you mean about watching what you spend. I felt the same way, and have been happy with the gym as my place to get back into fitness. My surgeon gives us the option of a prescription for PT, or doing our own workout at the gym. I had already purchased a gym membership, too.

I don't know what recovery is like after the posterior surgery, but I'm sure from the sounds of your recovery that you will soon be able to put on your socks. I had to wear slip on shoes for the last year, pre surgery. It takes time for the mobility and flexibility to return, but it does. I was told to work very gradually. Bit by bit...
 
I had the anterior surgery also but it has been years since I have been able to put my foot on top of the opposite knee so I really think I could use some help from a PT for this so we can figure out what is going on and how to correct it. It doesn't seem to be getting any better with my workouts probably because I am not doing much stretching and I'm not really sure how to stretch without breaking the 90 degrees.

Other than that, I am pleased with how my workouts are going. On Friday I tried the Stair Master again but still only managed 5 minutes because it felt uncomfortable on my right hip area so I am not going to try this machine again for awhile. So I went to the Adaptive Motion Trainer and did 10 minutes and it felt amazing. It's a unique machine in that in kind of combines running motion with stairclimbing with elliptical - hard to explain but you can see what it looks here:

https://www.precor.com/en-us/vary-your-muscle-engagement

I have been doing it with the long strides because it feels like a wonderful gentle stretching motion. It feels great! I think this is going to be my "go to" machine for awhile.

Some of my other mini accomplishments are:

I am no longer moving my car when I am at a shopping center and I need to go to more than one store. I used to move my car rather than walk to the other store because my hips hurt too much. Now I park my car one time, do my shopping at multiple stores, and go back to my car....woot! :yay:

I went to get my hair done and used to take the elevator to the 2nd level. This time, for the first time in years, I took the stairs both up & down. I just took it slow both ways and held onto the railing for assistance. I did great going up. Going down was a bit harder for some reason. But I am still very new at this stair thing since I have a one-level house. Still very happy that I was able to do it.
:yes!:
 
Hooray, @Hipster Girl! Those accomplishments are truly satisfying, aren't they? It's amazing to think how just a few months ago things like keeping the car in one place and taking the stairs instead of the elevator would have been pretty much impossible. I'm so happy for you! :SUNsmile:

I'm glad you found the Adaptive Motion Trainer and that it is a workout that feels good to you.
I will say that I think PT is very good in that they can help you assess and reach your goals, both short and long term. My PT person not only has me doing specific stretching exercises, but also takes a good 15 minutes every session to manually stretch me out (gently...no uncomfortable pushing and pulling) and then she does the massage. The way she describes it to me is that those quad and hamstring muscles (on me, specifically...everybody likely has different areas that need working on) are like very tight rubber bands and it's our job, working together, to stretch them out so my flexibility is greater.
You'll get there with the foot on the opposite knee. :)

I hope your day is great, friend. :flwrysmile:
 
You sound like you're doing great, @Hipster Girl. Sorry, I didn't realize you had the anterior approach. It took me quite a while to feel like I was safe putting my foot on my knee. Even now, the knee doesn't flop open in that position. It's still tight. I should start doing that position more often. I'm sure you'll get there in time. That's an intense stretch.

I use the same machine on your link at the gym. I love it, too. It feels so easy on the joints. It's one of my favorites. Congratulations on the walking in the parking lot and taking the stairs. All of those improvements are exciting. It's really good from a psychological standpoint, too. It builds confidence. I'm really happy for you.
 
Thanks @DeepBreath and @Hip Hip Hooray! all those improvements do feel great. I did have a setback this week in that I had to start using my cane a bit again. I have been so exhausted this week.


One of my co-workers is an attention seeker and one of those people who like to kiss up to the boss. The boss had asked she & I to label the many file cabinets to identify what was in them and if they are going or staying, and he specifically said that he would have EVERYONE in the department pitch in to move files and consolidate cabinet space, so that the burden didn't fall on one or two people. Well, my difficult co-worker loves to kiss-up and so after we labeled everything, she starts going into all the cabinets and moving everything by herself, clanging and making a big racket so everyone would hear her and take notice and think poor poor *name* doing the work all by herself. So even though she took this on herself of her own volition, she is being quite vocal about her displeasure and is playing the martyr, saying I'm not helping her.

We also have tons of records and she kept saying how this needs to go to storage and that needs to go to storage. That's all well and good but sending important documents to storage requires proper indexing so that they can be located and pulled back at a later date. We have databases that the information needs to be entered into, and the info needs to be detailed and identifiable, rather than just shipping boxes of files off to storage to get them out of the way while creating problems for others trying to locate those records down the road, which is something I have experienced firsthand and am trying to prevent for those coming after us. So now she is choosing to send hundreds of files to storage and is complaining very loudly and in front of my boss's office, that I am not helping her. None of this is priority as the files are going to the new location anyhow, so there is no reason our replacements couldn't decide what goes & stays, and send things off at a comfortable pace as time permits rather than us doing it in a frenzied pace and doing it insufficiently just to get them sent off. It is time-consuming to do it correctly and I have other more important duties that bring money back into the company which is my priority.

I am noticing that this co-worker just likes to get things off her plate and isn't concerned about if something is done correctly or accurately or in line with company procedure. She knows she is a short-timer and is more concerned about advertising to everyone that she did this or that, and expecting praise for it, even though they don't even realize yet that she is doing things wrong. Since I have been back at work, I am finding lots of things she did incorrectly or not at all, some of which will cost the company money. I caught several of her costly mistakes this week and corrected them myself. But because she kisses up to the bosses, they don't see it. She puts on a really good front and tries to buddy up to them instead of focusing on the work where I focus on the work and don't advertise or seek praise for doing my job. Every little thing she does, she makes sure everyone knows about it.

Sorry for rambling but it feels therapeutic to vent - it's mentally exhausting dealing with such a kiss-up, back-stabbing type person. Thank goodness this is a short-term situation. :yes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hipster Girl, vent away, friend! Sometimes you just have to unload that aggravation.
:gaah: about your co-worker. I absolutely cannot stand perpetual victims and crisis seekers. You are spot on about them being exhausting. How nice of her to do all that stuff incorrectly and make a huge mess for the people on the other side who will eventually have to deal with it, as well as complaining loudly while managing to pat herself on the back. Yeesh. It sounds like you have a firm handle on exactly what you need to do though and that is the most important thing.
Sending good thoughts your way that your time dealing with her is very short. I'm sorry about the setback. It's aggravating and worrisome when that happens. Take good care of yourself and you'll be right as rain very soon.
Hang in there, Hipster. We're always here to lend an ear or a shoulder if you need it. :console2:
 
@DeepBreath thanks for that....I have to say it was very therapeutic to come on here and vent and it made me feel better to get it all out. I had a relaxing weekend and got some much needed extra sleep so I feel better, but we will see what tomorrow holds at work.

We typically have a staff meeting on Mondays and if my co-worker makes any of her snide remarks, I am prepared on how to professionally counter her. I hope it doesn't come to that but I am prepared. She is a newbie at the company and I am not going to let her ruin a stellar working reputation that I have spent decades building.
 
Good for you, @Hipster Girl. She sounds very manipulative. You are smart to be prepared with a snappy comeback. I am always so shocked when people behave that way that I am usually speechless. I find that if you confront them, they are more careful with their behavior in the future. Many people are too intimidated. There is so much office bullying going on now. It's really a shame. She is lucky to work with you. I hate that kind of stuff. I'm sure your work speaks for itself. Let us know how things go.
 
@Hipster Girl I 100% agree with @Hip Hip Hooray! and am sending major kudos to you for preparing a response if the PITA co-worker pipes up in the meeting. One negative 'apple' in a bunch can really bring the whole group down. Good for you for standing firm in defense of your reputation.
Hip Hip is so right about people like that generally backing down if people call them on their bs. It's not fun to confront people, but sometimes it has to be done.
I hope this week is less stressful for you. :)
 
Hi @DeepBreath and @Hip Hip Hooray! you two are awesome with all your encouragement! It went better than expected in the meeting. We go around the table and each of us has a chance to talk every week and I was called first this time so when it was my turn, I had a list of significant follow-up items that had come up in last week's meeting that I had taken care of.

I just matter-of-factly went down the list from the previous week and said a few words and checked off each particular item to let them know it was complete. This way, I was able to take the high road and not stoop to the my co-worker's level by not even addressing her antics, and it was very clear that the stuff I had worked on were priority items.

I didn't call her out publicly for doing things incorrectly like I could have. I felt good about taking the high road and still vindicating myself. The co-worker still didn't like the fact that she wasn't the center of attention and I could feel her glaring at me through my peripheral vision because her dirty tactics didn't work. Serves her right :heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you, @Hipster Girl. I'm sure other people noticed her negative energy. I'm glad you got to go first. There's an old saying, "The best in their field always know the best in their field." I think I read this about professional basketball, but it applies everywhere. I'm excited to see what kind of job opportunities you attract in the near future...I think your business mind will be a great asset to you next situation. It's really important to be aware of what things are costing. You seem to do that naturally.
 
I did some research on people who buddy up to the boss and are always tooting their own horn like my co-worker and apparently it stems from insecurity. That makes a lot of sense when I think about it. Her insecurity is very apparent which is why she's always seeking praise and attention, and I could probably overlook it until I discovered she is putting me down in the process of building herself up. That is going too far, and I now know I have to watch my back with her which makes it not a good situation but at least it's short-term so I can deal with it. The boss has only been there a short time also so he doesn't know my work like the one before him and the long-timers. Otherwise this wouldn't concern me at all, but I have worked hard all these years and I don't want my reputation tarnished by her just because she has some agenda.

@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm getting kind of excited about what the future holds. I've gained some good experience where I'm at that should help me going forward. A big concern for me is doing a resume that will get me an interview. I haven't looked for a job in the 21st century (!) and I guess the new thing is for companies to screen your resume using software filters or whatever, so you have to be specific in what it says because otherwise the software kicks it out. I preferred the old days when there was a phone number in the classifieds to call and you could talk to a real person and if you clicked with the interviewer and were personable, then they would grant you an interview.

Hope you are doing well @Hip Hip ! Running late this morning but I will check in on your thread tonight...hope you have a great day!
:flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It is great to have a place to vent and to share our successes and questions, isn't it. I am interested in all your exercise experiences. It has been years since I could do much! Have. Good day!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@Hipster Girl, I am so proud of you I'm busting my buttons over here! :yes!: Way to be professional, focus on the job at hand, and allow your excellent work to speak for itself. You are one class act, lady! :)
What you said about people like your problem co-worker is spot on. If a person is confident in their abilities they don't need to toot their own horn so loudly. Anybody who is in somebody's face constantly giving them the rundown of their own amazingness (probably not a real word) is struggling with low self esteem. Sad, but not your problem.
Good for you for watching your back though. Folks like that do not bother with scruples and would rather put in the effort to undermine others than to hone their own job skills. I continue to send good thoughts your way for this last bit of time with your current company, and for finding the perfect position in a new (lucky!) company.
By the way, I so agree with you about preferring the 'old' way of doing things. Filtering for keywords does not give an in depth view of a job applicant. I think it's sad this is the norm nowadays.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @jomarie58 :wave:thanks for popping in...yes, it is definitely nice to have a place to vent - very therapeutic.

@DeepBreath you are too sweet! I really appreciate all your encouragement! I've never really had to deal with a difficult co-worker before so this is very new to me. We had a great cohesive group for so many years and we all got along fabulously. I didn't realize how good I had it until now since I never had to deal with this in the workplace.

It is so ironic your use of the word amazingness because I swear she said something like that today about herself. She had finished a project and so was going down the hall gloating and saying out loud "Aren't I awesome" or "amazing" (i can't remember which word she used). She was saying it in a joking manner but you just know she really thinks that about herself.....she needs attention 24/7. I just shake my head and am counting the days. :)

I am signed up for a career transition workshop this Friday. I'm not entirely sure what all will be covered but I am looking forward to this first step. I think if nothing else, I will walk out of there motivated and ready for this new chapter.

My hips have been feeling much better this week. I don't know what to attribute that to but am so grateful.:yes:
 
It is so ironic your use of the word amazingness because I swear she said something like that today about herself. She had finished a project and so was going down the hall gloating and saying out loud "Aren't I awesome" or "amazing"
Oh my gosh, I'm channeling the rotten coworker! :yikes:
Ugh, how utterly exhausting that sounds, Hipster. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with that. It sounds like your company is so wonderful and obviously fosters a great work environment. That somebody like PITA can come in at the 11th hour and try to poo stuff up is aggravating.
I guess the silver lining to all that is the relief of knowing you're nothing like that. It must be tiring to feel like attention is needed 24/7 and trying to bring that about. I hope time flies for you.

Ooh, the career transition workshop sounds interesting! I hope you get a lot of good, solid information about going on to your next position. Fingers crossed for that.

It's awesome that your hips have been feeling good as well! That is just the most amazing feeling.
Keep up the good work, friend, and again, kudos for taking the high road. Your work obviously speaks for itself. You've got this. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Big ((((hugs)))) @DeepBreath and thank you - she is truly a piece of work but I've come to realize she is going to have to live with herself 24/7 and I only have to put up with it for two more months, so I've got the better end of this deal, ha

The Career Transition Workshop was excellent and loaded with great information. This particular workshop is held quarterly but they have weekly meetings that I will start attending once I am officially out of work. Just like how up hippies come here to commiserate with others who have gone through the same thing, it was so encouraging to be among others who are "in transition" (they don't use the word "unemployed", ha) and are going through the same thing.

It was positive and uplifting and I did some networking with those at my table and we exchanged business cards and are going to connect on LinkedIn. One guy I met, his wife is in the same line of work, so he gave me her card as well. Another one worked at one of my target companies for 15 years and just recently left for a better opportunity, so I am going to connect with him as well. I am on LinkedIn but have not been active or finished my profile but I need to change all that. The workshop left me feeling re-energized. Oh, and I noticed how normal I felt and I didn't even notice my hips until the end of the day and I think that was more from stiffness from sitting too much but no actual pain. I felt so NORMAL. Incredible!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hipster Girl, it sounds like you had a terrific day! :) You are spot on about my coworker. Imagine having to live with acting like that all your life. It's sad really. My mom had a favorite saying that I remember and respect to this day:
"Strive to be the kind of person whom people like to see arrive and are sorry to see go"
You strike me as one of those kinds of people. :)
The Workshop sounded great. It's a great thing to be able to connect with people who are going through the same things as we are. I'm a big believer in networking! You never know who might be able to give you a heads up about different career opportunities. :)
Yaay for those great feeling hips! :yes!: I've noticed I have to be very conscious of not sitting too long or my hips are stiff and sometimes my knees will protest too.

Sending good vibes for you as you continue on, friend. You have a terrific attitude and that is so valuable. *HUGS*
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My mom had a favorite saying that I remember and respect to this day:
"Strive to be the kind of person whom people like to see arrive and are sorry to see go"
Hi @DeepBreath, that is a really great saying your mom had! I am going to remember that. I love inspirational sayings like that - they really do make you think.

Very busy week this week. Things are speeding up. They are interviewing for my replacement which is a weird feeling to know I'm being replaced but of course it was my decision not to move so I have to remember that. It will be even weirder when I have to train the new person but in a way I will be glad to meet her.

I think I am going to schedule a massage for this weekend with one of those many gift cards I got at Christmas.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom