THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Friends, I wanted to pop in here since I haven't updated in awhile. Physically I am doing very well. I have gradually increased my hours at work and will be back on full-time this week and I am ready. I have a desk job so it is not strenuous and I am not really experiencing the energy drain any longer. I am still on my cane but allowed to wean myself now. I am taking that very slowly and starting to go without it in spurts at home but I still take it with me when I am out and about. We will be taking a co-worker out to lunch tomorrow and we will be walking to the restaurant, so it will be a good test to see how I do. I haven't walked that distance yet.

My hips are feeling so much stronger. I think the added activity with me going back to work has been very beneficial. There are times I am almost forgetting about my hips and that is incredible to me and not something I thought I would ever say. I find myself walking very quickly since it feels so good to move, so I have to remind myself to slow down and watch my gait to make sure I am walking correctly.

One of my biggest concerns (and y'all can laugh if you want to) was how I was going to go to the bathroom at work without my 3-in-1 over the toilet.:heehee: My PT laughed and jokingly admonished me: "you are not taking your 3-in-1 to work" :snork: Anyways, it has not been a problem. The toilet is lower but I always use the handicapped stall and grab the bar with both hands to lower/raise myself being careful not to twist though. I don't think I could have done this any sooner but it has gotten easier now.

I bought an extra reacher and keep it at my desk and another in the car. Those have been lifesavers. I don't know if I have always been such a klutz or am just noticing it more now since I can't reach down to pick things up, but I find I am dropping stuff all the time. Those reachers are the greatest invention ever, aren't they? :yes:
 
I was the same way. I dropped things, CONSTANTLY! (before the surgery, and for a while afterward.) That has stopped. I really think it's a symptom. It used to really bug me. I felt so klutzy. I think it has something to do with motor skills and the nervous system. It should go away, though. It has for me.

I was so happy to read your update. That's wonderful news. You sound really on track. When you start forgetting about your hips, it's really exciting. That's happening with me, too. It's pretty miraculous, the change.

I think in time you will be able to reach down and pick things up easily, too. That's where I am now. It's incredible, because I used to be unable to pick up the dog poop, pinecones, etc. (without leaning heavily on the dog.) Now I just do it without thinking.

Thanks for posting. I was wondering how you were doing. You sound terrific!
 
Hi @Hipster Girl! What a great update. :) I'm so glad you're doing well and that the work situation is good.
I smile about the 3 in 1 commode comment, but SO understand. Low toilets abound and that's scary! I'm glad your work has the handicapped stall and that you're doing well with that.

It's awesome that you're starting to forget your hips and feel stronger. :) Yaay about the waning energy drain as well.

I have always been a 'dropper'. It's even moreso now and you are so right that the grabbers are a must have. I have three planted around the house and use them a lot. They come in handy for closing the dishwasher door, etc.

Keep up the great work! I am just tickled pink for you! :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks @Hip Hip Hooray! and @DeepBreath, I am seriously amazed at how much better I am feeling these days.:SUNsmile:

I was in a weird place emotionally after I went back to work because I was feeling sad about all the changes and so many people left the company while I was out, and more are leaving every day due to the relocation. I don't like good-byes and these people have been like family for so many years, so it's just hard, and I would find myself in a blue mood and on the verge of tears. There may have been some post-op blues lingering also, contributing to how I was feeling.

Thankfully that cloud is lifting and I am glad to be back at work so I can at least say good-bye to those who are leaving. There are so many, I have two good-bye lunches coming up this week alone. I am also feeling more hopeful about my own job situation and what opportunities may become available to me in the coming months. It helps to be back at work among others going through the same thing. Just like how all of us on Bonesmart are able to relate to each other like no one else can, it is always good to be able to talk with those going through the same thing. It just makes it easier.

There are people in other departments who do not have to relocate or leave the company and I had thought how lucky they were, but now I feel like I am truly at peace with this change and looking forward to what lies ahead. Somehow, some way, I think I will land on my feet. My new hips have given me hope. :yes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you will land on your feel. It sounds like you were really connected to those people. That's how it is in show business. It's hard to say good-bye. Who knows what will happen? I'm sure something exciting and fulfilling is in store for you...

I still get emotional around people I really love, too. I think it's healthy, though. It shows that you care and your heart is open.
 
That's true @Hip Hip Hooray! if we didn't care about them, it wouldn't be sad to say good-bye. :yes:

I did pretty good with the walk to the restaurant - I took my cane of course. The walk was fine; the only issue was how low the seats were at the table...and no arms on the chairs. It's funny how things like that I never noticed before are now so obvious.

I'm doing well on my full-time schedule.....a bit tired at the end of the day but nothing extraordinary. I forgot about the rush hour traffic since I haven't had to deal with it in awhile but even that will lessen as people start taking vacation around the holidays. Work has been very busy but I am taking it in stride and doing what I can do in a day but not stressing if I can't finish everything. There is always tomorrow.
 
@Hipster Girl, I'm glad you're feeling better. :) I can so understand your feelings regarding work. That would have to be tough. I'm sending good thoughts that your future is filled with much happiness and wonderful opportunities. You have such a great attitude. I can't imagine any smart company not snapping you up in a heartbeat. :flwrysmile:
 
awww thanks @DeepBreath, I so hope you are right! I am going to continue taking it easy until the end of the year and then come January is when I will kick it into gear and start updating my resume and turn my focus towards this new chapter and looking for other job opportunities. I bought a lovely new career blazer during these holiday sales so now I have something to wear to job interviews. My company has gone business casual so I didn't have the right attire for going out and marketing myself.

One thing I just have to share and I am just thrilled beyond belief: yesterday I went to Sam's Club which for those of you familiar you know it is a big warehouse club that is always packed full of people. My hips did fabulously! I actually was able to walk around at my leisure up & down every aisle looking at everything including all the lovely Christmas items on display, and it dawned on me how it had been YEARS since I have been able to take my time and leisurely shop. For the longest time, I have been going and getting out just as fast as I can because of excruciating pain in my hips, and now that pain is no longer! I mean I knew that already but to actually experience it in a situation that has been very difficult for me for so long, just really makes it all hit home for me, and I had tears of joy in my eyes! The recoveries have not been fun but I am soooooooo glad I had these surgeries!
:yes!:
 
Good for you, @Hipster Girl! I think taking a break and allowing yourself to enjoy these lovely last weeks of the year is a good idea and then starting fresh in 2016. :)
I love your Sam's Club story! It truly is stuff like this that makes me hopeful. Shopping of any kind became a nightmare for me over the last year. I would arrive back home just exhausted from the pain.
Reading about you being able to take your time and actually enjoy the experience is wonderful! I'm so happy for you!! :happydance:
 
Thanks @DeepBreath it truly was an incredible feeling!

I went for my 8 week post-op appointment yesterday and only saw the PT, not the OS, but I had a very good visit. No x-rays this time but I was given some new exercises. I told her I am still using the cane because my gait is off whenever I walk more than a few steps without it, so I will be starting outpatient PT after the holidays. She told me my hips were weak for so long so they just need some strengthening. So I am excited that there isn't anything to be concerned about and that there is a plan. Plus she is the one I will be seeing for PT so that gives me a lot of confidence since she works with my OS and will obviously follow his protocol.

I asked about my restrictions and was told the 90 degrees is for 6 months which is a huge relief because I had previously been told it was a lifelong restriction. Six months I can do. Lifetime, not so much.... so I am very happy about that!
I hope all my fellow Bonesmarties have a very:merry christmas::treestar:
 
Merry Christmas to you, too @Hipster Girl! For some reason I missed your last couple of updates. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your shopping trip. That's how I've been feeling, too. It's like I'd forgotten what it was like to be pain free. It crept up on me slowly...over time. I just didn't realize how bad it had gotten until it was gone.

The PT sounds good. That makes sense that the muscles were weak. That's great about the restrictions being lifted after six months, too. Good news!

So glad that you bought yourself a blazer. It makes such a difference to wear something snazzy to a job interview. You just carry yourself differently. I'm excited to see what your next career move will be...
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! you will be happy to hear I will be getting in the pool for some of my PT. I'm not too sure what all that will entail but I am very much looking forward to it since I've heard such great things about pool therapy from you and others. I think it is going to be very beneficial. I also feel like I need some stretching exercises too, in addition to strengthening.

I'm so glad I will be working with the PT from my surgeon's office who will follow his instructions. And she can answer any questions I might have based on his protocol - for example, I didn't think of it until I left my appointment but I wanted to ask about abdominal exercises & which ones are okay to do. I always used the ab crunch machine with light weights in the gym but that definitely has me going past 90 degrees so that one is no-no. Same thing with another ab roller type machine. I really want to work out my abs but I don't know what I could do without breaking my restrictions......other than maybe planks but those might be tough also because I have to get on & off the floor somehow. I've got abs on the brain right now because all those Christmas cookies are starting to show :snork:
 
I use the machine at the gym that's like a rocking chair for your upper body for sit ups. You might be able to do that one. Sometimes just adjusting the angle you are at works. I agree that the abs are really important. The stair master works the core, too. (even though you don't always feel it.) I also just focus on pulling my navel into my spine on all the exercises. (even when I'm on the bike.) It makes a big difference.

Now that I'm four months out, I'm able to do a lot more exercises safely. You'll get there. The PT sounds good. Let us know how it goes...
 
@Hipster Girl, that is great news about your restrictions and the PT. How awesome that the PT person works with your surgeon. That's got to be a comfort.
I was told the same thing about my muscles being weak for so long. I'm excited to hear about your PT when you start! I have been relieved that it's basically just gentle stretching right now.
Have a great day! :)
 
Yay, so happy to see the site up and running this morning! For a week or so now, I either haven't been able to get on at all or it crashes on me within minutes. I got an email on the Bonesmart New Year's Eve party but I wasn't able to get on so I missed it and did not get to participate. :sad:

I went to the gym yesterday for the first time in 4 months! I had to do it. I was only able to manage the stairclimber for 5 minutes before it started to feel uncomfortable so I stopped and did 10 minutes on the elliptical, just enough to get my blood flowing a little bit - it felt great!

Then I went to the weight machines and that was a lot trickier because some of them I would be breaking the 90 degree restriction if I bent down that low to adjust the weight or the seat, so there were some machines I just wasn't able to use, but that's OK, I just did the ones that wouldn't cause me any problems. It was also a bit tricky getting on some of the machines because of how they are built. Some you have to lift your leg up and over to get on, so I passed on those. I went much lighter on the weights than normal since it's been a few months and my muscles are weak. More than anything, I just wanted to get a feel for the exercises again and kind of do a test run to see what I could do.

@Hip Hip Hooray! I used that one ab machine mentioned in your post above that is like a rocking chair. To lower the weight from the previous person, I sat down first and scooted over with my butt so I could adjust the weight, rather than bending or torquing. Then while doing the exercise, I extended my legs out instead of bending them to increase the angle just to make sure I wasn't breaking the 90 degrees.

It felt great to use my muscles again. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel a few hours later but I have not experienced any adverse affects. I feel really good. My upper body is a little sore (triceps especially) but it's a good kind of sore that tells me I needed to work those muscles. I am encouraged by that.

The best part was walking up and down all the stairs to get to the fitness area. I was worried how I would navigate all those stairs since I haven't had to deal with any since my surgeries. Turns our there is a railing in the center of the stairs that separates those going up & coming down - I don't know if that has always been there or I just never noticed - so I had a railing on each side to hold onto which was a big help, and I just went slowly and took the stairs normally. It has been years since I have taken those stairs without having to tell someone to cut in front of me because I was hurting and limping so badly that I was taking forever. Yesterday I felt NORMAL! What an amazing feeling.
 
That is fantastic! I know what you mean. It's such a rush to blend in again, and not feel like your body is giving out. You sound like you're doing really well at the gym. I use light weights now, too. In time, you'll be able to get on and off all of those machines again. Does your gym have a pool? I think I'm going to go today. Your post motivated me.

Congratulations on your progress. You are doing so well. (And you are smart to not overdo at this stage...)
 
I went back to the gym today to do the elliptical and managed 15 minutes. It was really just a test for myself and it was a challenge. My hips didn't bother me at all but I now know I have lost my cardio fitness which is really no wonder considering I have been so sedentary the past few months. Now that I know 15 minutes is too much, I will go back to doing the 10 minutes next time I go to the gym and will use that as my starting point, keeping it there for awhile and then gradually increase the time. Honestly it feels so good to be moving again that I'm okay with being patient and by spring I should be doing much better.

I am having to change the way I do a few things, like for instance I still can't tie my shoes so I am using slip-ons (well-fitting and they won't slip off though) instead of my normal workout shoes, and I have to make sure my pants have pockets because I can't put my keys and phone on the ground like I used to because I won't be able to bend to pick them up.

@Hip Hip Hooray! my gym does have a pool but it is one of those lap pools with the cords to divide the lanes.
 
That makes sense. 15 mins. doesn't sound like much, but it sure feels like a lot after a THR. It sounds like you are making all of the adjustments that you need. Soon you will be able to bend down again to pick up your keys, and you'll be able to tie your shoes.

It's great that you're back into your gym routine. I really think the body responds well to those healthy habits. You were wise to let yourself heal for a while, first. I'm really happy for you.
 
@Hipster Girl, yaay for the great experience at the gym! It does feel good to get moving, doesn't it? Knowing that it will lead to stronger muscles and increased stamina is another huge plus. :)
I also have to wear slip ons. I look forward to being able to tie my shoes once again and give myself a pedicure. :)
Keep up the great work!
 
I had one of those out-of-nowhere "sudden" accomplishments. I had been getting frustrated because I was still using the cane after I was supposed to be weaning myself but then several days ago I forgot my cane and started walking without it and did very well, and I haven't used it since. I can feel my muscles getting stronger and when I catch my reflection in a mirror, my gait looks pretty good, no limping.

I am doing well at the gym and am loving that I can use the weight machines again and tone these muscles. It feels amazing, and I have already noticed my cardio stamina improving as well. I am holding off on calling the PT at this point until I figure out if I still want to do that or if the gym is enough. I went with a high deductible insurance plan this year since I will be out of work soon, so I am really watching my pennies.

One thing I am curious about is how soon until you can put your foot up on the opposite knee for putting shoes/socks on, etc? When I went for my last post-op, I was told I can start doing that which is great but I have found that even though I am allowed to do it now, I can't physically manage it. I am still using my sock aid to put socks on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom