Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes....how are you doing. Not long till the 5 km day on the 27 th

@GaRosehippy I had that deep groin pain and the PT said it was the joint and was a sign of overdoing it. Maynbe you should list the symptoms of your thread and tag Josephine??
 
I experienced deep growing pain for 18 months - then woke up one day and it was all gone! I hope it is the same for you - hugs from OZ
 
Hello, all!
It's been a while since I've posted. That's because I've been busy working full time and playing on the weekends when I'm not helping the in-laws to empty my father-in-law's house because he's moved to a retirement apartment. He has a ridiculously huge collection of books (like 15,000 -- I may have mentioned this before) and collections of other things too as well as the usual stuff a house has. Busy, busy, busy!

Health update: My heart imaging and tests went swimmingly. No problems and the Cardiac Electrophysiologist tells me that my heart looks great. I have an appointment for an ablation on May 29 to stop that weird AFib thing that I've got going on. It happened AGAIN last Monday and AGAIN I went into the ER and AGAIN was "CardioVert'ed" with 150 joules from the defibrillator. Not horrifying, but annoying and potentially dangerous so it's getting fixed next month.

HIPS: The hips are coming along. I still have considerable stiffness after sitting for any length of time (even 10 minutes) but after I've walked a bit, I'm ok. Only stiffness.
I can now squat down to pick up something off the floor - haven't done that in like 8 months or more.
I can now tie my shoes with BOTH hands.
I can now put my right and left feet on my knees (it's difficult, but do-able and not painful) in order to put on my socks.
I can now do TEN MILES on the exercise bike with no repercussion.
I can now walk FIVE miles outdoors with no repercussion.
I've been walking about 15 miles a week and I'm back to dieting to lose this extra weight I've gained back by being laid up for so many months.
The 5k coming up next weekend? Not even a thing at all. It won't even be challenging.
The pain that I have occasionally and the ROM that is limited seems to be slowly improving weekly. It's not DAILY improvement so it can be a little disheartening when no improvements are noted in a week or so, but over time, it's better. I am WAY better than I was prior to the surgery. WAY.

I am off drugs entirely. No 'hard' drugs and no tylenol and no ibuprofen. (only a single dose here and there if I know I'm going to be exerting myself unusually).

I don't think that I could at this point do a long or steep hike. Uneven ground is still more difficult than flat sidewalks or even exercise bikes. I can see that June might not happen for hiking but I'm still hoping for August.

I haven't driven my motorcycle yet, but I have sat on it, felt that it seems OK and decided I will do it shortly. I'm doing some maintenance now (oil change, filter changes, new battery) on both my bike and the DW's so when that's done, it's RIDIN' TIME! (weather permitting...it rains here A LOT).

Feeling guilty that I'm not on Bonesmart as much as I'd like and not giving as much input to the newly-diagnosed or those who are upcoming in their surgeries, but I have just had a lot going on. I hope that my occasional update will be sufficient to give some comfort to those worried that even a BTHR has a positive outcome.

Hoping you're all feeling good!

I remain (quite) optimistic!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear you are doing so well. I am nowhere near getting my foot on my knee on operated side - but never could before... Maybe after a long time I will...
It's great to hear you are so much better than before surgery. And soon to be back on your motorbike- sounds fun- hope you get some good biking weather soon
Gill


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Great news @DrToonz.....a great update. Hoping you get the AFib sorted soon and keep up the good progress....sounds like the 5k will be a piece of cake! Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Great to get an update. Sounds like u are doing awesome. Good luck with the ablation. All my best. Sue


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Great job dr. Toonz keep up the good work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
:hog: Way to go Dr Toonz!!! Sounds like you are doing very very well regarding the BTHR recuperation. And hopefully the A fib will be fixed easily. :hiking:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hippy Toonz
Let's face it, the whole point of this surgery is to get your life back. Now that you have it back, you are busy doing all the things you weren't able to do before. You are busy, busy, busy; and that is good, GOOD, and BETTER!

Great update! Keep up the good work and keep us posted. We care.
 
Great update! So happy things are going so well for you. Continued success my friend!
 
@DrToonz sounds like you're doing great. Your optimism has taken you far and inspired a lot of us to be optimistic - thanks:)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
hi @DrToonz . great to hear how well you're doing. I also don't post much but I do follow the people I 'know'. I guess that's how it goes pretty much. I'm also doing well. I can relate to that stiffness after sitting. pt told me today to move my leg around back and forth etc before I stand up to get the blood flowing. i'll see if it helps.
 
Hello stranger @DrToonz... life can get crazy! I just asked Josephine about the stiffness after sitting, man those several first steps can be a doozy, at least for me. I too have been back to work, part-time at 3 1/2 weeks and this week started full time. I can't squat and get back up, need something to assist getting up and down to the floor. I can touch the floor with my legs apart, but not very well with feet together. I still take a 15 mg time released morphine twice a day and Aleve, but have bulges and L3 and L4 issues. Wasn't really an issue until I stumbled on Monday and twisted to catch myself, so Tues. was bad, Wed. was first tears in 4 weeks! But multiple issues, rain, cooler weather, longer strides in walking, stomach virus that hit at 2:19 in the a.m.! So a huge ball of misery, today is a happier day, you know how that goes. Take care, thanks for the update, you helped me through some tough times with your cheerful updates, good luck with the 5K.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@DrToonz you are coming up on 3 months I know because mine was this past Monday. Sounds you are making excellent progress, too. My Bonesmart app crashed on me or I would have checked in earlier. Things here are back to normal, work, exercise, play and now a vacation to the mountains.

To all my hipster pals, keep on keeping on.....

Judy
 
Hey @DrToonz it's great to hear you are out and about and enjoying life...that's why we get the THR and anyone who reports on getting their life back is great news to those of us still waiting for that day!!!!!:whistle:

I hope you get that heart situation sorted...annoying to say the least :kickedout:

How fantastic that you are squatting to the floor!!!!! I think that 5K will definitely be too easy

And Roseann @GaRosehippy how fantastic that you are getting up and down off the floor at 6 wks???? Post BTHR

@Freaky freak nice to hear you are doing well too!!!!

Keep up the great work.....
 
A quickie update: All is pretty well. Still hurts to stand/walk after sitting for any length of time. If I take ibuprofen and/or acetaminophen that takes care of almost all pain.
I'm WAY better than prior to surgery.
My 5k which I signed up for WAY early / right after surgery and which, at the time, I was wondering would be walkable, is tomorrow morning. I have ZERO doubt that I will do it with no problem at all. I've been walking 15-20 miles per week (at 2-4 miles at a time). This morning I did 2.5 miles up and down hills (the hills are a first). There does not seem to be any repercussion from that at all. Walking generally doesn't hurt, but can be fatigued a little in the hip area after about1.5 miles or so.
Numbness still exists on the surface. Unchanged. Quite a bit on the right and a hand-sized area on the left. Hmmmm...

I remain optimistic.
 
Best of luck for tomorrow @DrToonz use tomorrow as a basis for the next race!!!
 
Dr. T, I remember thinking no way you'd manage the 5k back when you first mentioned it. And now here you are proving me totally wrong. I'm so glad....there are times I just love being wrong. :)

Sharon
 
All the best on your walk today @DrToonz ! Please let us know how it goes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom