Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's the mark, then I look forward to it. It can't come soon enough.
That's not to sound ungrateful, because if where I am RIGHT NOW is the result, I'm still WAY better off than I was before!
 
Hello Dr Toonz! Your Father-in-law needs a Kindle for Christmas. Good to hear you are doing so well. I haven't been walking or biking like you, but I did take up line dancing. To go from barely being able to walk with a cane to scootin' about the dance floor is a miracle ( and wonderful fun!).
 
After researching the options, I too have decided on a ceramic on ceramic hip. My surgery is to be on Jan 16. For me, it came down to the lack of long term research on the Cobalt on Cobalt (the metal ions issue) and the osteolysis issue with the polyethylene. Even though the highly crosslinked poly wear rate is only 10% of the conventional poly, I was still concerned of the body's immune system attacking even these particles and the possibility of bone less because of it. The wear rate for ceramic is approximately the same as highly cross linked poly, but doesn't seem to generate the immune system response, at least in what I have read. My surgeon originally wanted to go with the highly cross linked poly but agreed with my decision. His only reservation was the .5% "squeaking" problem with ceramic on ceramic. In any case, I am glad to hear that you feel good about your choice.


Great Dr. TO ON IM 3 WEEKS FROM MY SECOND HIP REPLACEMENT AND ITS GETTING BETTER DAY BY DAY. IM ABLE TO GET AROUND THE HOUSE WITH JUST A CANE BUT WHEN I PUT SHOES ON ITS MORE DIFFICULT. EVERY THING IS GOING WELL OTHER THAN MY INCISION INCISION IS HEALING SLOWER. GOT TO LITTLE SPOTS THAT'S NOT TOTALLY CLOSED YET. IM LOOKING TO GET WHERE YOU ARE NOW. IM THREE IN A HALF MONTHS FROM MY FIRST ALSO. GOOD TO KNOW THAT THINGS ARE GOING WELL. BE ENCOURAGED.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Your Father-in-law needs a Kindle for Christmas
We tried that. It's not about reading books, it's about collecting stuff. Ugh.
EVERY THING IS GOING WELL OTHER THAN MY INCISION INCISION IS HEALING SLOWER
I had that too. One spot took like 2 weeks longer. Keep it clean. I used antibiotic ointment and changed the dressing often to make sure I didn't get an infection and ...viola!... it healed. It was slow because I have a little belly-fat-crease right there at the top of the incision. You'll be good.
I had hiking poles instead of a cane. Worked fantastic. Two at first then one then none. You can really lean on them because of the way you hold them, unlike a cane.
Anyway...good thing you're getting through!

Rode my bike again today. Had a great time on this sunny day with almost zero pain. Yay!
 
Can't wait to get there .... your back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
OK..I'm very excited because today I FOUND A TRAIL!
I did a 1000-ft elevation gain over 1.6 miles.
This wa like a 5-k but uphill (half), in the woods, in the rain and with a light backpack.
ZERO problems. I was hyper-aware of any unusual feelings hut found that there was realistically NOTHING.
Oh, yes!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
The trail: "Rattlesnake Ledge".
No, there aren't any rattlesnakes anywhere there.
A VERY popular trail. We got there early though so we only saw crowds on our way down!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
Best of luck! I'm sure you're excellent hands :-)



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@DrToonz just checking in on you and let everyone know things are still good here inTN. I have a full week of training the end of the month and am actually looking forward to it now! Take care and good luck!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi, folks.
I know it's too damned easy to NOT update here on BoneSmart when all is going well. It's a good sign, but I also know that when I was seeing my fellow hippies lagging in some updates, I worried about them.
Worry not for this kid!
Cardiac Ablation went well.
No signs of trouble from it. I did have to take a week off of work just sitting around being bored. Doctor suggested it as the 'best' way to avoid potential trouble.
I'm also on a handful of preventative post-op drugs. I also have a no-caffeine and no-alcohol instruction for at least a month (that one is trouble for me!). I'm following the doctor's orders though, and will continue to do so.
Doctor says I can ramp up the exercising from NONE last week to HIKING at the first weeks in July.
I've done one 4 mile walk and a couple other shorter walks. All seems fine.

HIPS:
Lately I've had reason to celebrate a few times when I've been walking up a stairway or something and realized that I had ZERO pain. Even a few times after sitting the pain has been very slight. Previously, as you know, it has been quite painful for just a few steps after standing. Now it's less.

Also I don't have ANY pain when I stand up after sleeping. This is also new.

In all, everything is going well and I still have hopes of doing a backpack-carrying hike, even a shorter one, this summer. The ablation thing set me back for exercise quite a bit and I'm terribly out of shape, but I know that it's achievable!

Good luck, hippies!! :)
 
Great to hear DrToonz! Glad you're doing well :)

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
 
Wonderful update, @DrToonz ! I am delighted to hear that you are doing well and will soon be back to your fun activities :hiking: :cheers:
 
I thought I'd check in.
I realized recently that since the ablation, I've been on Colcrys as an anti-inflammatory and I'm wondering if that is helping me to feel a little better. Hmmmm....
Anyway...I've been walking up to 4.5 miles every other day or so and it's working fine. Trying to get back into doing hills. Yesterday I did a 3.3mile walk including down 300' and up 300' elevation.
Huffing and puffing, but the hips had no problem.
Now I just need to lose the 40 pounds I gained in the last 10 months of slackerism.

:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey....good to hear from you!!! I'm happy you're doing well. At least you know your hips aren't going to hold you back from a more active lifestyle. If you keep up that walking, I'm betting your next report will include some weight loss too. You're doing GREAT!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom