Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fabulous news....ahh yes the weight loss....I'm still struggling with 14lbs excess baggage! Might have to step my mouth up! ...so glad all going so well got you...Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@DrToonz........Just updated on you, wow I am so envious of your capabilities! I have almost made it to the 4th month and I am disappointed in my progress.....I actually regressed for a while, piriformis syndrome, a real pain in the butt! Still stiff and waddle the first 5-6 steps upon rising and achy pretty much most of the time. I am still wiped out by the end of the day, have to use my weekends to rest up. Hot Georgia days, so that is draining as well.

Have to have my knee cleaned out as the knee OS did not do a complete job back in Sept., doing that July 11th, perhaps that will help since it is keeping me from bending, stairs, etc......Bummed about that since I have to go through it all over again, PT and healing.

Good news on the ablation.....check in on you soon. Take care.
 
@DrToonz, I am 6 months post bilaterals and doing remarkably well. I started back to weight watchers in April and have dropped 14 lbs to date. I am able to squat and get back up on my own (most times lol) and am feeling better than I have in years. I am even back to heels occasionally! I say all this only because I know next Monday is your 6 month anniversary as well. Wishing all u hipster friends uneventful recoveries.
(I still have the numb patch, not much smaller than before, annoying but nothing else and still get the tingly pains in that same area). Blessings to everyone!

Sincerely, Judy


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 
Thanks for posting. You let us know that are about five months behind you that 'painfree' is going to last a while, maybe...
 
Well, today's my 50th birthday. That's something.

I thought I'd update.

I'm 2 days shy of 7 months post-op.
At this point, I do what I want, when I want. I don't quite have the strength to stand from a squat (almost...very very close) or to take really large steps up (like when hiking, there's a large rock or something and I need to put one foot WAY up like on a giant stairway). I still have bigger-than-my-hand sized numb spots around and below the incision.
BUT..
I have hiked multiple over-5-mile hikes (Iron Mountain in San Diego was fun) with ZERO consideration for the hips. No pain. Nothing. I also climb under the car and back out to work on it (like a hundred freaking times doing one pain-in-the-butt (literally, but normal, not hip) starter change), walk when and where I want (like 15 miles on one amazing day at Disneyland), even the occasional 25-step jog to or from the car or whatever (I do NOT run. This is by choice. I think I could, but I don't see a point in the potential damage to the new parts). I'd like to say I'm about 98% 'back'. Yay!
My surgery and recovery were (and still are) right on schedule and I'm ridiculously happy with the decision. I cannot imagine where I'd be if I'd kept deteriorating and not done anything about the hip pain. I would definitely be just sitting if not wheelchair bound. As it is, I'm planning a trip to do the Teton Crest Trail next summer. Training will begin shortly.
I gained an amazing amount of weight in the last 7 months. Like 40+ pounds. Holy ****. I've weighed quite a bit more, but not in years. My quest for losing that weight has begun, nut not in earnest and I will be kicking that process into gear starting NOW.
I understand that the weight is the cause of a lot of my troubles and losing it will help in all aspects of my health and my abilities. I just need some motivation to DO IT.
If there are hippies out there wondering whether they need new hips and when to do it...DO IT.
HEART ABLATION: You may have read of my recent Cardiac Ablation. It was not 100% successful, and at this point, the heartbeat is slightly irregular, but no Fibrillation as of yet so that's good. I'll see my cardiologist in 2 weeks as a follow-up. Not sure what the next step is to get that rhythm back to perfect (or even if that's possible) but I'm not slowed down by the way it is at the moment, so that's good.
OK, so that's my report. I hope all my BTHR (and THR) peeps are doing well and feel as successful as I do.
Get out there and move!
DrToonz
 
Great update....so glad to hear you are doing so well. I am just about 4 months out of trhr and all I can say is I have a life again...No limp, can tie shoes, etc. So bravo to you and I hope everything with your heart gets better. :) Sue
 
Happy Birthday! Life gets incredibly good when you can move! I have struggled with my weight for years, but finally reached normal BMI with low carb diet, especially wheat, portion control and stress control. You have always been a go for it all kinda guy, so I suggest, even though you didn't ask, ( my bad ) modified HGG diet without the HCG. It is essentially an elimination diet and you will lose weight. Then you will find out what foods make you gain weight ( add what you want once at a time ).

So happy for you!
 
Nice to hear you're doing well @DrToonz! I am too and I have also gained weight during my recovery. Not 40 lbs, but still quite a lot. I think it's time to go back to Weight Watchers! No, I KNOW it's time :)
 
Glad you are so well @DrToonz. I have not been on in a while so just catching up!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
A friend of a friend just had a THR and that prompted me to recommend Bonesmart which in turn reminds me to give a little update.
I've been doing great. Hips are fantastic. No restrictions still, all movement is improving and for the most part I don't even feel like I've had anything done (with the exception that I'm back to normal instead of in pain).

Had another check-up with the surgeon and he said that everything looks perfect.

Still have numbness at the incision sites. One side more than the other. About a hand-sized area. I'll happily deal with this forever for the life-changing awesomeness that is new hips.

I've been doing a home remodel project including tons of work on the knees doing flooring, baseboards, kitchen cabinets, electricity and such and no problems at all. I still struggle slightly with strength in trying to stand from being on the floor so I lean on a wall or whatever a bit. No biggy and it's getting better.

The heart is getting a little better in the rhythmic reliability and still no fibrillation. That's good.

Neither surgeon nor cardiologist wants to seem me for another 6 months. That's good too.

I intend to train for and do a long hike again in summer, 2015 so I'm looking forward to that!

Good luck, hippies!
 
More proof there is life after BTHR! Great update @DrToonz . Thanks for passing the word about BoneSmart!
 
@DrToonz That is wonderful to hear!! My hip is 8 months out and doing great but I now have my left knee that is being done in Nov. Hope you continue to do well with both of your issues.
 
Great report! So happy to read that both hips and heart are good.
 
Just checked in and saw your post!! Awesome news!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@DrToonz my dad had the Maze Procedure (ablation in heart) for atrial fibrillation at the same time he had some stints bypassed. It worked for him. He's off coumadin for good. They said if it the ablation didn't work he'd need a pacemaker. Hopefully yours is now under control and the ablation worked.
 
A quickie update:
HIPS: Everything working as planned. I've been doing a bunch of remodeling of a house and so I've been up and down off my knees like a million times. (put a big laminate floor in, did a bunch of electrical/ plumbing/ painting, etc). This has caused some minor aches and pains in the hips, but nothing that doesn't fade after. I chalk it up to just weak muscles.
Speaking of weak muscles, the hip muscles are still not as strong as they once were. I presume they'll get there over time (I had like 49 years to build them up before, so 10-1/2 months seems an unreasonable expectation now).
This means when I go to stand from kneeling, it's hard, if not impossible, to do in the 'normal' way where you just lift one foot to be flat on the floor then use that leg to stand you up. Nope. Can't do it. I need hands on the floor or a wall to lean on a little to make it work. No biggy and it's getting easier.
Still have numbness at incision site. Both sides and not really getting any smaller. 3"x3" area on left and a hand-sized area on the right. This doesn't bother me much because it's VERY worth it for my new quality of life.

HEART: Ablation seems successful. Heartbeat returning to more rhythmic as time goes on. Rhythm was very odd for a couple months and SLOOWWLLY becoming more rhythmic over time. Not fibrillation or anything, just slightly larger and/or smaller gaps between beats or the occasional multiple beats RIGHT next to one another.
At this point, it's pretty normal and I don't feel it like I used to (It used to really annoy/concern me).
Doc says "see you in 6 months" so he's not concerned.

I'm hoping to hike this summer for a full 30 miles in the backcountry at elevation. Cross your fingers that my permit is approved!

Hope you all are doing well.

DrToonz.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom