Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Hippy Toonz
@DrToonz, have a great walk today---hope it's as nice a day there for it as it is here in the sunny South.
 
Isn't it just wonderful! All the things that we can do now. This may be the best thing I've done for myself. Congratulations on your 5K walk.
 
Ya buddy! Nice work. The 5k and then the motorcycle ride. I'll bet that felt good.
 
@Freaky Freak…Dr. Kurtz is my surgeon and I am trying to decide whether or not to have bilateral hip replacement. Both hips are shot. I had planned to have SuperPATH, but it sounds like you did very well with direct anterior bilateral. Any input would be so greatly appreciated!
 
Hey Dr. Toonz! Been a while since hearing from you. I am headed for my second hip surgery on June 9. How are you doing, please?
 
@DrToonz, finally got my Bonesmart app to quit crashing, so how in the world are you? Form a quick glance it appears you are pretty well recovered.
 
Hey Freaky Freak! I am joining your club in June, just wondering how you are doing with two implants since January, right? Hope Dr. Toonz does not mind asking you on his thread...
 
@Freaky freak,
No, not too late. Going in tomorrow morning at 5:30, surgery at 9:00. My family really, really didn't want me to have both done at once, because we just don't have the help we'd need. So, the plan is SuperPath on the left hip tomorrow and if all goes well, in 5-6 weeks, I'll have SuperPath on the right. Any last minute advice? Also, is it ok to put the tennis balls on the walker before you go to the hospital, or do they like the rubber tips on it until you are steady on your feet?
 
The hospital should have one for use in your room. Take a wheelchair in, relax, let it all go. Hey Urbanfarmgirl, we have a lot in common I see and my second hip will be done in June, after great success with the left one done in April!! Two hips done at once is hard on the body I would believe, bcuz one hip surgery was hard on me!! I have relatives up your way, good luck to you!!
 
My posts are fewer, that's for sure!

I'm doing well, I think. I hurt pretty substantially still when standing after sitting for any length of time. It only lasts for 10-20 steps or so and then I'm good.

I've done a TON of walking, up to about 5 miles at one time maximum. I've done MANY 5k's since early April (not sanctioned time things [I did ONE of those in 57 minutes]) as I walk a bunch.
Over the last couple days I moved about 300 boxes of books (Saturday), climbed up the ladder onto the roof to pressure-wash the gutters out, did a bunch of yard work and have been generally active.
I did have a couple days where it felt like I over-did it. Interestingly though, this was NOT after/on an unusually busy or physical day. There was nothing unusual that I'd done. Just normal days but I must have slept funny on it or something. It was REALLY sore (just the left).

Hey, @Freaky freak : good to hear from you.
Hey, @waterman1 : I don't mind a little thread-hijack. Whatever gets you the answers you need!

I can tell you that I'm WAY better than I was prior to surgery. I'm 3-1/2 months out and I can now ride my motorcycle with NO pain (if you've read my extensive thread, you'd know that was one of my big goals). It used to hurt like mad so I'd only done ONE ride in the last 2 years. Now I've taken advantage of a few of the awesome sunny days we've had here in the PNW in the last couple weeks.

Looking forward to summer and the next goal met: A hike. Somewhere. Anywhere. I need a little trail time and I haven't had any in a while. (...sigh...).
 
@urbanfarmgirl : I'm very sorry that I missed your question.
I'm happy with 2 at once, but I've talked to many who were very happy to have done 1 at a time.
I had LOTS of help for that first 10 days (like 100% of the time I had a caretaker (DW & MOM mostly)). If a person didn't have that, I'd say that 2 at once would be quite difficult.

Good luck today! See you on the other side!
 
Nice to hear from you here DrToonz! I had my right hip done the day after your surgery and am feeling fine as well. I also am extremely stiff when I first stand up after sitting and mostly it goes away after the first 10 or 20 steps. One day this week, that did not happen - I stood up and just walked without even thinking about it and no pain or stiffness about three or four times in one day. Then I went back to the same old same old. It gave me hope that this will pass at some point. Hope so :)
 
One day this week, that did not happen - I stood up and just walked without even thinking about it and no pain or stiffness about three or four times in one day.
This is what I look forward to. I have a coworker who is post-FOURTH hip replacement (she got the metal-on-metal ones and needed to have them replaced). She's about 3 weeks ahead of me for the fourth surgery and doing great. She tells me (from her recollection of surgery #2) that her greatest moments came after 6 months. That's when she started forgetting more often than not. I look forward to that.
For now...I need a trail!! :)
 
@DrToonz @grandma chris. Glad to hear you are both doing do well. 'Tis true, Dr Toonz.... After 6 months it gets easier and easier....I still think that this is a years worth of recovery to get all the benefits....but so well worth it! Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom