Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning @DrToonz ! Hope your weekend was good? We haven't heard from you in a couple of days, I'm thinking (hoping) it was a fun weekend! Just wanted to check in before I leave. Hope you're well
 
The cold is going away. I feel about 85% today.
Walking without my hiking poles (for the most part...I'd probably take one were I to go out for any lenght of time).
Sleeping is OK on either side (for short periods and better with a pillow between the knees) and on my face or my back.
Incision still not quite perfectly healed up on left side. Will ask PA about that today/soon. It's not infected it's just a troublesome spot.
Hurts for first few steps to walk after sitting/ laying/ sleeping/ whatever, but then walking slowly and smaller steps is pretty painless.
Long distance (100's of feet or more) = sore after but only a little and not long term.
Still taking ibuprofen/ aspirin/ acetaminophen because I get sore when I've been doing something and I don't take it.
I still can't put my own socks on EASILY but I do put them on by myself without TOO much trouble (and definitely without as much pain as prior to surgery!
I think that might be my update today. :)

Now...when will I be good enough to go freakin' HIKING!?

My better attitude is back and I Remain Optimistic.
 
Here's the funny thing: Now I'm stressed about returning to work? Will I feel OK? Will I be able to do the job that I've been COMPLETELY neglecting for almost 2 whole months? Will I remember how to DO my job?

I know that these are silly questions, and I have a very supportive group of people I work with/for, but it still crosses my mind. I know that the work has been piling up, however, so I've got no lack of stuff to do when I return.

Just a thought.
 
And another thought/ question for those who have been through this:
After I've been up and walking around (I do it slowly as I'm afraid to do any sudden moves) I feel pretty good. There is a little soreness at the top of my left leg, but just a bit. Most pieces feel OK.
BUT
When I've been sitting for any length of time (seriously: from 2 minutes to 2 hours it's pretty much the same), when I stand I'm tentative to take the first steps and they're sore. Quite sore. But again...5 steps later and they're back to feeling OK.

Is this normal?
 
@DrToonz . Here is my experience: from the start I focussed on walking. That was the first thing I did aside from a little bit of the exercises the PT gave me to do. For the most part I skipped those and walked instead. My first goal was to get an even stride and if that meant shorter steps that's what I did. I wanted to learn how to walk without a limp again. I can now easily walk 3 miles. I don't do that every day though. Not yet. I want to give my hip a chance to recover from that particular effort. I walked those 3 miles yesterday, but not today. My hip feels a bit tighter after the walk, but recovers nicely.
From what I have read, you mainly cycle on a trainer. I am a cyclist myself and I know that I don't stretch the front of my hips much when I ride my bike. As of yet I have not ridden my bike at all since my surgery. I felt it would be more important to 'walk normally', because that would stretch the tight front of my hips almost accidentally without effort. I don't know if this is the right thing to do for everybody, but for me it works great. At first my walking was much shorter and slower. I increased very gradually. And now I walk like a 'normal' person, probably faster and without pain or tightness.
Why have you not been doing much walking aside from 100 feet? Is it too hard to do? Too painful?
By the way, after sitting for a while I also have to give myself a second or two to adjust to the new upright position, but then I am good to 'go'. The 'second or two' used to be longer.
After walking I go back to lounging on my sofa, but more stretched out than on your 'big chair'. I have a method that works for me. Maybe it'll work for you. By the way: I am sure I can ride my bike now without any problems. Why don't I? Because I want to walk. I know how to ride a bike.
I am extremely optimistic
 
Yes @ DrToonz.....very normal....think it's those big glute muscles that get stiff after sitting down....even st 6 months post op mine are a little tight. My remedy is to do the squeezing of the glutes before Im ready to get up and walk ( the exercise they gave you to do after the op) about 10 or so squeezes and then they seem ready to support and ready to walk!! Hope your cold is better now. You want to go back to work after 8 weeks? After bi lateral ? Wow....I'm impressed. I'm retired ...have had only RTHR...would not have been ready until my 12 week mark.......!! Take care....Chrissie xxx
 
The soreness is normal and will likely persist for some time. I am more than 3 months post op and still have some soreness when rising after sitting for a period of time in a position that flexes my hip to about 90 degrees. My soreness is mostly where the OS told me he had to give everything a good "tug" - the top of the thigh and groin area. I should say that my other leg also stiffens after sitting but not as much. I am afraid age as well as surgery is to blame. I started mild stretching of my hip flexors last week and that has helped - the soreness does seem to be receding.
 
Oh, as much as I don't like recovering, I am also worried about returning to work. Same types of worries... I know it will come back but with nothing else to do, I worry.

I only had my left hip done but waited a bit to long and my legs or my.knees are not as strong as I would like. I am slow when I get up. I will be 6 weeks tomorrow and am now walking just shy of a half mile daily, with a crutch. With a crutch I have a great gait, without it I go much slower and with a limp. I will work on it until it goes away and eventually in will do both knees.

I think I am getting a cold today. Hang in there and we will both be back to work soon enough.
 
Two words to get your head and hips turned squarely to a new goal this summer or early fall (before the snows arrive, anyhow): Kendall Katwalk . It's on my to-do list in the Snoqualmie region! Have you been? Have you seen the scenery? Eyes on the prize! :-)
 
I`m also very stiff and tentative when I first stand up. Besides feeling `rusty``, my balance is not great right now. `hoppy nanny thanks for the hint about glute squeezes - I`ll try that. My keyboard is acting up and i can`t do the at sign or a capital i!!
 
Well, Toonzy, how are you doing? Have you tried walking a little bit more? It's so gorgeous right now in our beautiful state of WA. I went on my first bike ride yesterday and paid close attention to the flexion on my hip joint. Here is what I found: my thigh and my torso are never in a straight line. The always is an angle between the thigh and my upper body. I would think if I had only been cycling since my surgery and not focussed on walking, I would have definite tightness in my hip flexors which would make walking uncomfortable. I am no expert, but my experience tells me that walking 'is where it's at' after hip replacement surgery. Why did I start out walking in the first place? Bonesmarties have advised that that is the thing to do. No special exercises needed for the hip as it heels itself. And in my case the Bonesmarties were right.
Out, out you go Toonzy, you signed up for this 5 k. Better get training:dancy:, but no jumping jacks. As a reward for afterwards :beer:. Don't make me come over there:hissy:.
 
Hey @DrToonz!
If your job is anything like my job, by the time you get back, quite a few policies and procedures will have changed, there will be new clients and new expectations and your boss will be repeating the mantra "WE can do this!" By we she means me. :yes!: Just relax and go with the flow. You will find that with the absence of chronic pain and disability, you have a lot more energy!
 
@DrToonz - as you have already heard, stiffness after sitting for any length of time is part of this recovery. Things will continue to ease and muscles will become more supportive - worry not!

Your biggest challenge when returning to work won't be if you can do the job. It will be stamina! I hope you are planning on a Phased return to work? You are going back a bit early - especially after BTHR.
 
I agree - stiffness, soreness is normal when you've been still for awhile. I always figured that was just old age catching up with me anyway. I also have some soreness in muscles as I get to walking better and longer - but for me also Tylenol takes care of it and its better every week. I work out of my home so got back into it almost immediately but just didn't do much the first few weeks - so the big change from sitting at home to working will seem hard - but maybe going back some ½ days first might help.
 
Why have you not been doing much walking aside from 100 feet? Is it too hard to do? Too painful?
I'm afraid of "overdoing it" truthfully. I have been out now to the dog park with the DW and the DD (that's devoted dog) a bunch of times and each is about 1/3 to 1/5 of a mile of slow hiking-pole-included walking. It works fine. I will increase the intentional walking shortly.

I am extremely optimistic
As am I.
You want to go back to work after 8 weeks?
I feel OK and I work a desk job. I'll be mellow and I have a note from the Dr saying that I may need to re-evaluate if it's not working out.
I will be 6 weeks tomorrow and am now walking just shy of a half mile daily
This is exciting. I'm going to up the mileage this weekend and see what happens.
Kendall Katwalk
I looked it up. Quite the day hike. Awesome. [click] [and a video -click]
walking 'is where it's at' after hip replacement surgery
I seem to be sensing this as a theme. Dr told me to walk "as much as I'm comfortable with". I'm going to UP it a bit shortly and see what "comfortable with" means.

As a reward for afterwards
Good idea. :cheers:
stiffness after sitting for any length of time is part of this recovery
Then I'll embrace it (I sure hope you're right!)
planning on a Phased return to work?
Yes. Half-days for the first week. Then it's full time at 8-weeks post-op.

I remain (as stated above) optimistic.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I only had one hip and the increase in walking distance came very quickly between weeks 5 and 6. Your body will tell you ... just listen!
 
Wow. Quite a hike. Thanks for posting it i dont think i would do that before or after surgery or anytime for that matter. This way i got to see it. Glad yr feeling more normal. It us amazing to be able to get up and (after that initial adjustment) be able to walk without pain. Bring it on ! (Life,that is)
 
@DrToonz . Yes, listen to your body, but tolerate some tightness and a little bit of discomfort. Those hips are meant for walking, after all, that is why you wanted them, right? Trust them, they are firmly in place. I do understand the initial strange feeling though, but I decided to 'just walk' and see what happens. Walk twice a day. All you have to do is open your front door, set a goal, walk the distance while listening to your body, but don't get freaked out if there is a twinge or two. Actually in your case 'two twinges or four'. That's normal. After all, things have been messed around with inside there. And after that walk lay back and ice for a while. Don't be afraid and worry. If you doc gave you the okay 'go and do it'. The walking and other activities.
I don't want to brag, but yesterday I increased my walking to '4 miles'!!! It went amazing without pain. And I slept like a log last night. Today I'll won't do that again though, not because I can't, but because I don't want to over do. I am mixing my activities up and if it does not rain later on I'll go on a bike ride. And then, after that I'll do this :beer:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom