Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to brag, but yesterday I increased my walking to '4 miles'!
Brag away! Not only do you deserve to brag, but it's an incentive to me.
I'm super competitive (in a good way I think) so when I see others doing it, I want to keep up.
The problem with that is that I end up wanting to do more (maybe) than I SHOULD do.
Hmmm...
Well...I'll go for a walk this morning before I go to my first 'back-to-work-half-day' at noon.
 
Well, I'm doing a whole lot more walking here in London than I did at home and that's for sure! Yesterday, I did way too much and ended up exhausted and cranky. Today we took the bus and tube everywhere we could. It was much more satisfactory - I was able to go right downtown and attend a nice lunchtime concert at London School of Economics. I am pleasantly tired now but not shattered. I think walking miles is vastly overrated so soon after hip surgery.
 
@DrToonz . I sensed competitiveness in you. I am competitive too. That is why I am pushing myself a little bit. On the Centennial Trail two days ago, on my first bike ride, a cyclist passed us. And guess what, even though that ride was supposed to be a 'see how it goes ride', I felt the instant urge to 'catch that guy' and show him who's boss. But guess what? I am older and wiser now and 'let him go'. He was a newbie anyway and I am sure it made him feel good to pass some people. Why take that away from him. In any case: my day will come. :cheers:
Out you go:)
 
Well, yesterday went OK. In the morning I did a half-mile walk and then went to work for 4.5 hours.
I got up every hour or so and walked a little loop around the office. When I stood up I was pretty damned sore. but 8 or so steps later, I was doing my walk OK.

Walking is always an exercise in attempting to walk "normally". No limp, no favoring, trying to take relatively full strides. I walk quite slowly, but the DW tells me that I look 'normal' walking when I'm trying.

The soreness has my optimism diminishing. It seems like improvements are not as quick to come as they were in the first 4-5 weeks. Today seems the same as a few days ago. Increasing movement (walking) doesn't seem to make anything BETTER but it also isn't making it WORSE so I'll continue.

Also, I've experimented with skipping my every 8 hours regiment of ibuprofen and acetaminophen. It seems like when I do that I get more sore so for now, I'll keep it up.

I'll ask doctor about that in 2 weeks when I have my next follow-up.

I'm not exactly sure how to describe my current status better than I have, but I don't think it's quite well-enough described. I'll try again.
I'm sore just a little while sleeping. Pillows between the knees helps. It's really not too bad and I sleep pretty well.
When I get up in the morning, I'm really quite sore when taking my first steps around to get dressed, showered and routine-wrapped.
If I sit for anything more than 5 minutes or so, when I stand up I'm quite sore again and the first few steps really hurt. Right at the hip joints.
When walking, I'm always sore, but not too bad. I can walk at a slow but deliberate pace with no poles for a half-mile no problem. I have not tried a mile or more yet. Maybe I will today. (the rain is DUMPING down right now though, so i'm not sure about that).
Icing seems a little helpful, but not great. The drugs seem helpful but I'm starting to feel like I'm NEVER going to get off them.

Optimism shrinking. I kind of want another week to pass RIGHT NOW so that I can see if an entire week makes a difference. this day-to-day no-change stuff is no good.

Drtoonz.
 
Hey @ Dr Toonz...sounds like a regular, s.l.o.w. & steady recovery to me.....the improvements do go by weeks rather than days as the recovery continues...and I had only one hip done. I would like to gently but firmly remind you that you had bilateral hips done!
I'm So impressed you are back at work and you are not using your poles for half a mile.....I was still using my crutch for months because of limp ( although I don't have one now!!!). There is a hip progression chart on here and it does show you how recovery flattens out after a while. I think it's a man thing ( sorry to be sexist)... Always in competition?? Wanting to be ahead of the game?
Just saying........!!! I'm just happy to be pain free and walking!! Slow and steady wins this particular race.... Take care..Chrissie xx
 
@DrToonz you are in what I called the one month slump! You see major results for about 4 weeks - very dramatic changes. Then you get to 4 weeks + and things seem to slow to a crawl.

Take heart - you are on to phase 2. This part takes all the patience you can muster. Slow and steady - and frankly going back to work and trying to cut down on meds is not the best thing to do for your optimism. Stay on the meds, slow and steady at work, ice when you can and don't be hard on yourself.

Sore = body needs rest and recovery.
 
I would like to gently but firmly remind you that you had bilateral hips done!
Yeah, yeah... hehe. I know! And on PAPER, and before I actually had this done, i would have expected to be not even as far along as i am now! It just GETS TO ME, you know?
I understand the data, I'm just not happy with it at the moment. :)

Thanks for the gentle (yet firm) reminder. I'll do my best to get back to my optimistic self.
 
Just like @Hoppy Nanny says: slow and steady. Increasing walking distance from one day to the next from 1/2 mile to 1 mile while you are still that sore...I probably would not do that. What I would do is walk the 1/2 mile two times a day. And have several hours of rest with ice in between.
Guess what? After doing my bike ride a few days ago and walking those 4 miles two days ago, I did almost nothing yesterday. No walking or cycling anyway. I was so tired from the previous day's efforts although my hip felt good. I had physical therapy and I was a bit sore afterwards. I felt more 'twinges of pain' throughout the day, but they are gone today.
You had a very long day yesterday. Wow. I am not looking forward to going back to work, but maybe it won't be too bad. I think it is going to make me really tired and then I won't want to do my exercises afterwards. I think to heal myself those exercises would do me a lot better than working. But I still need the paycheck.
You will get better.
 
Yeah, yeah... hehe. I know! And on PAPER, and before I actually had this done, i would have expected to be not even as far along as i am now! It just GETS TO ME, you know?
I understand the data, I'm just not happy with it at the moment. :)

Thanks for the gentle (yet firm) reminder. I'll do my best to get back to my optimistic self.

Good!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You are doing great! Remember how it was before .... try hard. This is so much better. Hang in there and don't work to much!
 
Well, after a good amount of walking yesterday, I felt great this morning.
So...

I went for a 3 mile walk today. A relatively slow walk at about 1 hour 15 minutes.
Came home a little sore and am icing and elevating.

I also have stayed on my ibuprofen/acetaminophen regimen, so that is, I think, helping.

If I feel good tomorrow I'll do it again.
 
3 miles from a half .... I guess it is all about the competition with you!! Good for you. You might need to take it slow today, especially if you are working full or even part time this week.

I only had one hip and am not going back to work for another week or so. So you are way ahead of me ... does that help you feel good about your progress??

Have a nice rest of your weekend.
 
No bad repercussions from the 3 mile walk.

I did spend the night in the E.R. though, learning about the CardioVert process and Atrial Fibrilation.

I've had an occasional few-minutes and up-to-an-hour bouts (a dozen or so) with atrial fibrilation, but not in 5 years or so. This coincides with the years when I was between 240 and 260 lbs. Before that I was 325. I have no idea if these facts are coincidental or not.

Anyway....heart started doing that weird thing. My GP has never been able to catch my A-Fib on an EKG and has always said that if it's happening and I can get to an EKG, he'd like to see it, so I woke up with this at 2am, it kept up (sometimes its gone in seconds, other times minutes) so I woke the DW and we went to the ER.

It lasted long enough that they gave me the Cardioversion treatment (a first for me of hearing of it and/or doing it), told me to follow up on Monday with my GP and let me go back home. I feel fine today.

Weird. Scary. Damn.
 
Sorry to hear you had to go through that. I suppose the upside is that now there is a record of what happens that can be investigated. Take it easy :-)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Damn is right. Scary. It seems yr getting much too tight with these emergency medicine guys. I sure hope they figure it out and things get back to the new normal fast.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom