Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DrToonz Don't worry too much about the socks - it takes a while to get the muscles needed to do that easily to stretch out and be willing to move in those directions. And I think for us bilaterals it's pretty typical to have one leg that bends more easily than the other .... took me about 6 months for the right leg to bend in the sock on directions. You are doing extremely well! I am delighted for you that you're thinking of going back to work already.. and half days to start off with sound like a very good plan. I, fortunately, was already retired when I had my hips done so did not have to even think about that major milestone.

And oh yeah the midday sleepies do continue for a while! Even it the outsides look all (or 99%) healed up the insides still have healing to do and bone to grow and muscles to strengthen.
 
Hey, @djklaugh : bilateral experiences are hard to come by. You say you didn't have to consider when to 'go back to work' but at what point were you walking without pain? I still hurt (week 5 ended today) but it's not bad. It's doable, it's just annoying. I'd say it's even or BETTER than it was pre-surgery in most ways.
 
i went to work after 7 weeks off, so, i guess the start of the 8th week. desk job,
quiet in december at work anyways, and got up often to stretch and walk a little.
sure, it was tiring, but great to be out of the house. by then it was more of
the stiffness and muscle aches than pain
 
@DrToonz When you walk where does it hurt? At the incisions? or does it seem more muscular in origin? For me I was pretty much pain free by week 7 or 8 though muscles would complain if I was too vigorous in my exercising. Plus I was 64 when I had my BTHR so I rather expected some muscle aches and pains. It usually was not enough discomfort to warrant even an aspirin or Ibuprofen - and would go away with a good night sleep. If your pain seems to be coming from particular muscles you might need some strengthening exercises for them. Remember it took you quite a while to get to the point of needing hip replacements - and during that time the muscles were getting used in all the wrong ways. So it may take them some time to get rehabbed back to the way things should be.
 
When you walk where does it hurt? At the incisions? or does it seem more muscular in origin?
It really seems like it's muscular. Incisions have some stiffness and soreness, but really its stiffness and weakness of all the muscles at the hip.
When I stand after sitting for a while or when I get up in the morning it hurts pretty good and takes some time to get to where I can walk without my pole.
After I walk a few then it works OK and I get a little less walking pain/stiffness.
Anyway...it's not really that it feels like something's WRONG, it really feels like it's SLOWLY getting better so I'm not too worried.
Slow but sure.
 
This morning: 45 minutes / 5 miles on the exercise bike.
Now: Ice & Elevation.

It's a good thing.
 
@DrToonz The same thing is happening to me! I guess that shouldn't be a surprise, we've just had huge surgery - you more than me! I am also stiff when I get up in the morning or when I stand after sitting for a long time. What's different is when I do stand up then, I brace myself for the pain in my hip and it's not there! That's soooo good. I expect we're right where we should be - I am much better off than I was last week at this time. Hopefully, better again next week.
 
Those of us who are over 60 may find that we will be stiff forever after sitting for any length of time. It has much more to do with age than with the hip replacement. Too bad this op doesn't manage to make our whole body younger, stronger, and ache free.
 
Good for you @DrToonz. Progressing well. Like you I am posting less as I am 6wks out today and back at work full time for the 2nd week. It is much easier this week. I can even go up and down the 15 steps to my office without holding on to the rail. I still do most of the time as I make 6-7 trips each day so getting in all the exercise I can handle with just that. Keep up the good work everyone. I will continue to pop in and check on everyone. Keep on keeping on...Judy
 
@DrToonz So glad that things seem to be going so smooth for you!! Helps me to know that I may at least begin to be back to some semblance of normalcy in a few weeks. Thanks so much for the update!!
 
Get you some Emergen-C and take it 2x a day for a few days! It really works. You mix it with water and drink it.
 
I feel like I'm getting a cold.
Grrrrrr. :sad:

Unlike! But you know the drill: rest and fluids! My husband also recommends zinc. I am so impressed with your 5 miles on the bike. I get 150 feet on crutches. LOL. Get well soon.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
WOW ... now I feel like a slacker, only a day behind but only one leg done. Good for you. And I know, everyone is on their own recovery path. Hope you stave off the cold ...
 
I had a talk with my OS's PA today regarding a handful of things:

1. Drugs. I've been taking aspirin (325mg 1x/day), Ibuprofen (400mg 3x/day) and Acetaminophen (1000 3x/day) every day. When I asked how long I need to continue this, I was told that the Aspirin was to be for 1 month, the Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen was to be taken "as needed" for swelling / pain. I have no recollection of them telling me this stuff when it was prescribed to me. I thought it was a necessary ongoing regimen. Hmmmm....

2. Exercise. I told her that I've been 'spinning' the no-resistence recumbent bike and described my 3-times/week doing that and that the last 3 times have been 45 minutes. She was surprised by the duration and suggested I dial it back. At the same time she told me that if I was not experiencing pain/swelling either at the time or later in the day or the next day after doing this exercise, then I could continue. It's another "It's up to you, don't overdo it." Statement.

3. Returning to work. I was trying to get some idea what it will take to either, depending on how I feel, get a "go ahead" from the doctor to give my employer (they require it) OR get a note extending the already-approved 6-week mark. I really thought that at 5 weeks I'd be ready to try half-days, but that's today and I'm not feeling it. The PA told me that she really thought I should 'take it easy' and reminded me that I had TWO hip replacements. She left the decision up to me, but seemed to be discouraging 'rushing' back to work. She also brought up the "2-months" rule of how long it takes for the bones to get sufficiently grown into the prostheses.

So that's the update for posterity. I'm going to minimize the drugs now. I'm going to cut back on the spinning exercise time a little and I'm going to wait AT LEAST to the 6 week mark to try going back to work.

I am NOT, at this time, able to walk without some pain. I can DO it, it just hurts a little.
Also, this cold (sniffing, feeling crappy, sneezing, coughing, stuffy nose, etc) has REALLY got me down. I was feeling pretty optimistic but today sucks a**.

DrToonz.
I remain (reluctantly) optimistic about the long term.
 
DrToonz, sorry you are feeling a bit fed up. It's good you got advice. Hope you feel better soon. I was on the same drugs as you, bar aspirin (I'm almost sure acitominophen is what we call paracetamol) and I found I was just forgetting to take them. I still take either one if I have pain eg on evening of a gym day...
Don't forget that overall you are doing really well. If your cold feels ok why not drive somewhere scenic and go for a short walk?
Hope you feel better soon and look after yourself. :-)
 
Glad you got clarification on your meds. I remain impressed and in awe of your recovery. The cold will go away and the pain Wil get less and less.
 
I eagerly read your updates @DrToonz as I am also "looking forward" to bilateral hip replacement (no date yet). And I always appreciate your humor and your frank, not gonna sugar-coat it recovery stories! You might want to try powered vitamin C. I get mine in bulk from Amazon. You can take massive doses til you feel better. 1/4 teaspoon is 1,000 mg which can easily be mixed in water or any flavoured liquid (beer???)
 
Morning @DrToonz! I hear you loud and clear. I have not been taking aspirin but a blood thinner which I finally finished. I could not take ibuprofen at the same time so was just taking Tylenol. What a revelation when I started the ibuprophen! Much better pain control. I also cannot walk without a little pain and if it's time to take my meds, significant pain. I'm not cutting down on the meds as long as I'm feeling this way. I hope you have a better day today.

Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom