Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Hip Pinning after ski accident

So sorry to read this, @Snoopy55. Losing a beloved pet truly is heartbreaking. How wonderful that he was part of your family for 14 years!

:console2:
It really is heartbreaking as it hasn't even been 24 hours since we put him down. I am sure time will heal but right now it is still very raw. Thank you so much.

Oh Snoopy…I’m so sorry. I know the heartbreak you’re feeling in losing a long time companion. Our furry friends certainly worm their way into our hearts and become one of the family. Losing them feels devastating. We’re Lab lovers also and have had several. I’m sure you have many photos from your 14 yrs together and I hope that soon looking at photos brings smiles instead of tears. Sending a warm hug your way. :console2:
@Snoopy55
Thank you layla. So you're a lab lover:) How many have you had? I can't imagine having another breed but as we are getting older and more transient we might consider something a little smaller. We have soooo many photos and so many videos too which has helped so much today. We've all had bouts of crying sporadically just looking at his pictures but it helps to just see his sweet face looking back at us.

@Snoopy55 I just read your thread. I’m glad you‘re doing better. I’m very sorry about your pup. It’s such a hard thing to go through. My thoughts are with you. You will never forget him but in time, the best memories will be in the forefront.

Marie
Thank you for taking the time to read my thread. Thank you for your kind words Marie. So appreciated.

@Snoopy55 so sorry about your pup, they are most definitely family. :console2:

So you're a lab lover:) How many have you had?
We’re on our 4th lab. One yellow, followed by three black. We did have a small terrier for several years when the kids were growing up. My hubs referred to that dog as either my dog, or the kids dog.
It is definitely hard losing our pets. :console2:

@Snoopy55
So sorry about your sweet fur baby.
My dear Shihtzu, Mojo, passed Iast year after 17 1/2 years of being part of my life and I still miss him horribly.
Hugs xxx
Oh boy 17 and half years is a lifetime. I can imagine how much you miss him still. They live in our hearts forever don't they?

So you're a lab lover:) How many have you had?
We’re on our 4th lab. One yellow, followed by three black. We did have a small terrier for several years when the kids were growing up. My hubs referred to that dog as either my dog, or the kids dog.
It is definitely hard losing our pets. :console2:
Wow! You got your share of shedding didn't you? I still have hair from my other yellow lab that lived with us before we even had our kids. Can't imagine having a terrier after labs but dogs are so special you basically love them all no matter the breed. How long does it take for you to be able to get another dog? I am thinking of a smaller breed next time because we will be traveling more and I hate leaving them. Cooper never went to a kennel we always had someone come to the house to watch him because he was an anxious mess.

Thank you all so much for all of your kind messages. I am sorry to take over the thread with my doggie's passing but I knew you all would understand.

On another note my hip is doing much better! No pain to speak of and just finished doing my PT exercises at home which are helping strengthen the muscles. I am walking much better-no gait at all these days just can't walk or stand for too too long like I used to pre-surgery but I am sure that will come in time. I am off to spend the day with my younger daughter as she is leaving soon. Sigh-the house will sure feel empty. Well my older daughter's cat Freddie is staying with us-she's very anti-social and doesn't love getting picked up so we mostly just admire her from afar-also she scratches!! But she's been glued to the door waiting for Cooper to come back:( He was her actual favorite:(((

Can't imagine having a terrier after labs but dogs are so special you basically love them all no matter the breed
It was a rescue dog and the kids wanted it. Naturally we all grew to love her.
How long does it take for you to be able to get another dog?
Not long, really. The loss leaves an emptiness I guess and while another dog never erases the memory of the one you lost, it seems to help ease the pain.

I‘m happy to hear your hip is doing better. The dog talk is a reality and a loss you’re suffering in the midst of your recovery. It’s stressful and emotional and can affect you physically. I hope you enjoy the time with your daughter and have a wonderful weekend. Fingers crossed you’re not tempted to over do it with the activity. :wink:

Snoopy,
Just reading about the loss of your beloved dog, I'm terribly sorry. I had a yellow lab that lived 12 1/2 years.
On a positive note I'm happy that you are feeling much better and the hip is behaving, same here, we are only 5 days apart on our surgeries, different procedures but still close on our dates.
Stay well my friend.

ot long, really. The loss leaves an emptiness I guess and while another dog never erases the memory of the one you lost, it seems to help ease the pain.
I am sure you are right. I would love to get one right now but I am still too sad. I am sure I won't wait too too long though.
I hope you enjoy the time with your daughter and have a wonderful weekend. Fingers crossed you’re not tempted to over do it with the activity.
lol no I think I have learned my lesson. I take frequent breaks and sit down when I am tired. I think I might have done a little too much driving today but I don't think it will complain too much. Nothing some advil wont cure but thank you for always thinking of me layla. hugs

Thank you so much @myglasshalffull. I really appreciate it and love that you are a lab gal too:) I think your trip is coming up? How are you feeling? Good to go?

Yes, leaving on 29th. Feeling very good, I've taken back several duties that my partner was doing including outdoor watering of the flowers and filling the bird feeders.
I'm looking forward to our trip to see my oldest son in Texas. We do a bunch of cooking and my grand daughters help so it's a lot of fun. They have gorgeous pool and big yard to enjoy as well.
Stay well!!

@Snoopy55 I just read through your whole thread! What an ordeal you’ve been through…and now the passing of your dear lab! I’m so very sorry for all that you’ve gone through and for your loss. I hope the pain of the loss lessens each day although I know you will miss him always. I am delighted to hear you seem to be on the other side of the pain now. Hoping and praying that your good trajectory continues! Nothing but up from here!

@CoffeandCrafts thanks so much. Yes the recovery has been very bumpy but the loss of my lab is hard to take because he was stuck to my side through the whole ordeal. The only thing thats helping is that I am up and about now and also I am not seeing him be sick. Nice to have you on the forum. You will love it here!

@Snoopy55 I can imagine how hard it must be… I have a little constant companion myself. Sending comforting thoughts and prayers!

Thank you so much @CoffeandCrafts. It's definitely an adjustment but everything happens for a reason. We are in a bit of a transitional time in our lives and traveling is in our future as my older daughter is a digital nomad and my younger one attends University of Edinburgh so we are going to be on the move alot in the next few years until we ourselves figure out where we want to settle. Once we do though a dog first on the list.

Hi everybody!

I haven't really posted an update about how I have been doing. Generally I am doing pretty well. Walking around a mile to 2 miles a day which is still not much and going to PT twice a week. I decided that I would scale my PT down to one time per week as I have had some flare ups in the past few sessions as we have been putting more and more pressure on the muscles and my soft tissues are still not completely healed so I end up feeling sore and uncomfortable the day after PT which ruins the next few days. My insurance is also horrible as I have a huge deductible and each PT visit costs me $100:hairpulling::hairpulling:

This coming week we will be at the beach for a week and I will do nothing but walk and see how I feel. If I feel well enough to increase my walking I will cancel all my upcoming PT appointments and just continue to walk longer. My only issue right now is stairs. I can manage going up the stairs relatively well. Unfortunately I have 13 pretty steep stairs to go up and down and I go up at least 6 times a day. I feel pretty sore at night after all the stairs. I still cannot come down the stairs the regular way as it is too much on the hip. My PT gave me some exercises to do for coming down the stairs but they really hurt when I did them yesterday so I am discontinuing them as well. My OS only gave me PT until the 17th of July anyway and I am sure he would have no problem extending it but I am reluctant at this point to ask for more. What do you all think?

Other than that I am very happy to be where I am in this journey-there has been lots of ups and downs. I just don't want to end up with chronic hip pain at 54. I guess I will try the no PT route for this week and let you all know how I am feeling. Have a great weekend everybody!

:wave: @Snoopy55
You are so supportive to other members and thank you for that...but it is good to see a report on your progress.

Walking around a mile to 2 miles a day which is still not much and going to PT twice a week. I decided that I would scale my PT down to one time per week as I have had some flare ups in the past few sessions as we have been putting more and more pressure on the muscles and my soft tissues are still not completely healed so I end up feeling sore and uncomfortable the day after PT which ruins the next few days
I think at 4 months post hip pinning, 2 miles per day sounds like plenty as you strengthen and tone Safely and Incrementally.

This coming week we will be at the beach for a week and I will do nothing but walk and see how I feel. If I feel well enough to increase my walking I will cancel all my upcoming PT appointments and just continue to walk longer.
The sand walks will definitely be a workout as muscles and tendons have to work harder vs walking on a hard surface so try not to overdo.
The main thing I remember at this point in my hip recovery is that it never seems too much until we stop.:nah:
I love the ocean and the salt air...makes my spirit happy!

I still cannot come down the stairs the regular way as it is too much on the hip
I still toddler stepped downstairs and held railings if possible for up to six months post op.
The gluteus medius engages for stability, and it took months for me to regain the strength (and confidence) and we do not need a fall, right?
I know it seems like forever, but it will come in time.
I just don't want to end up with chronic hip pain at 54.
Right, that is why you are trying to stay patient.
My BTHR was 3 months before my 54th birthday.
I felt infirmed and anxious during recovery, but where I was at 4 months certainly wasn't the same at 6-9-12 months....its that old patience and time thing again. :oyvey:
I guess I will try the no PT route for this week and let you all know how I am feeling
I think this is a good idea.
Will be looking out for your update.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie