THR Hip Pain 1 Year After THR

@BigChief56 hoping that PT wasn't much more than an assessment of what you want from it, a little massage maybe and some very gentle stretches. You are very early on so please take it easy. I know when I was basically two days out of surgery I wasn't letting anyone touch me or make me do anything. :rotfl: I got up when I had to go to the bathroom and walked there and back and put my ice back on. :ice:
 
Hello and Happy Friday to you @BigChief56
It's a special day....Happy One Month Anniversary!
We hope you're doing well and would love to read an update on your progress if you have the time to share one. Hoping all is well and you're feeling stronger and more confident week by week. Will look forward to hearing from you soon. :fingersx:
All the best until then! :)
 
Hi @Layla thanks for the 1 month thoughts. Sorry i haven’t been consistent in my updates. I am doing pretty well. Went back to work on 23 Jan and that seems to be going ok. I only did 3 PT sessions (1/week) and after that really have just concentrated on walking not doing the exercises. Once i am walking w/o a cane i may incorporate some of the PT exercises into my normal exercise regimen. I still have a bit of a limp so i still use a cane. I see the surgeon next Friday (7 Feb) for my roughly 6 week follow up. All seems ok, but it have one spot (muscle i think) near the top, outside of my thigh that is painful when i need to push off that leg (going up stairs, rising from chair, getting in a car, etc) so i am interested to see what he says. Felt a pop in that spot about week or so ago accompanied with pain. Interestingly, that same place bothered me during my first surgery so i don’t plan on settling for a “don’t worry about, it will work out over time“. I did that on the first one and 12 months later i was getting a revision. So overall compared to how i felt pre-surgery, i feel great.

On other note, when i had my right hip resurfaced in 2006, i had a posterior surgical approach that was a very difficult recovery. On my recent revision that was a posterior approach, there must have been changes to the technique (not cut as much muscle or something) as the surgical recovery was fairly similar to my direct anterior approach except for the 90 degree issues. Not a lot of pain and a pretty quick bounce back from the surgery. Hope all is well with you and I’ll post the results of my next appointment.
 
Good to read your update @BigChief56 Have wondered how you are getting along. Hope you get all your questions resolved at your six week OS appointment. Hope this revision gets you to 100% very soon.
 
Good to hear from you @BigChief56 Thanks for updating!
Wow...you returned to work early. Are you exhausted after work? I hope you don't have to do much more than lay around for the remainder of the evening once you return home from work. At least for a few more weeks.

Hopefully you get an explanation for the popping sensation from your OS this coming Friday. I've read that it can be in relation to the Psoas tendon rubbing against the new hip. With exercise and time the sensation will disappear as it usually occurs while the hip is healing and in turning the leg to the side. That's if this is what you're dealing with. Following is an article on noises and possible causes -

I experienced the Posterior approach for my THR and really had no issues either. Also no restrictions. It's good to read you had a positive experience also.

Best wishes for your appointment Friday. Let us know how it goes if you have time to share. Until next time...all the best to you!
 
Thanks @Layla. The first couple of days i was tired when i returned, but last week seemed to go okay. Generally walk when i get home then rest up. Thanks for the info on the popping. It only happened once so i don’t think it would be a tendon. It felt like i popped an internal stich or it was scar tissue breaking loose. We’ll see if the surgeon has any thoughts. I’ll update after the appointment. Would like to get cleared so i can resume working out out and riding my exercise bike.
 
@BigChief56 Sounds like we are progressing on a similar time line. I am waiting to push exercise until I can walk without a cane too. Fingers crossed that popping you had was just something getting back in proper alignment.

My outer thigh and glutes are still weaker than they were before surgery. I am trying to strengthen inner and outer thigh with simple isometric exercise at 25% strength so I don’t overdo, but steadily build up my muscles. Balance is thankfully almost 100%. Will watch for your update after your appointment Friday. Good luck!
 
@Layla @Fit4Family had my appointment Friday and all looked good on the x-rays. He said it would be several months before he will be able to see bone growing in on the x-ray. At this point he said he is looking for any gaps between the bone/implant and he didn’t see anything of concern. Have my next follow up is in 6 weeks. I’ve been off my cane for several days and that is going well. My hip seems to be responding by getting stronger and (once warmed up) my limp isn’t too bad. On the pain at the side of my hip, he probed the various tendons that come across that area. After we talked about and he finished the exam, he thinks it was the IT band either popping over the hip or finding it’s normal groove. The pain in that area has diminished over the past week or so. He wants me to keep an eye on it and if it happens again, get in and see him. Still just walking to work the hip, will likely start incorporating some other exercise in the next couple of weeks. Probably won’t start on my bike until the outer thigh soreness is gone when i go up the stairs. Feeling pretty good and this hip feels “right”. After my first surgery in 2018, it never felt “right” from day 1 so I’m pretty confident this one will be good. Next on my list is a knee replacement. Hoping to push that off until next spring/summer at least, but we’ll see how that goes. With the hip better the knee is getting pretty stiff/sore at times. I’ll try to provide more consistent updates.
 
Great update @BigChief56 So happy that your hip feels right this time. I can truly relate to that. I have my follow up tomorrow. Seems like we are tracking very similarly. I am still using cane out of the house but practicing inside without. Fingers crossed that IT band settles for you and that you can wait a good long while before addressing your knee. Best wishes.
 
Awesome update @BigChief56 you seem to be progressing right along. That is great that your hip feels right this time! I know the first time that I kind of realized that my hip just felt like mine and not something foreign was so cool! Keep you the great work, slow and steady.
 
Hello.
Thanks for updating. You seem to be doing well and it's encouraging you noted that your hip feels "right." Especially given you mentioned the first surgery never felt right.

Sorry to hear you need a TKR. Hopefully you can hold off until you feel you're ready, or the timing is right for you. We'd love to continue following your THR recovery here if you don't mind sharing updates and you'll also find great support on the knee side when the time comes.
Wishing you a wonderful week! :)
 
Thanks all. @Layla my need for a TKR led to my hip problems. Looking back i could have been a bit smarter and sequenced my joint replacements a bit better. Might have saved me a surgery (or two). Live and learn. :)
 
@BigChief56 Ok. My husband is flying F-35’s at Luke. Nothing to do with hip replacement though. Just saw your profile picture. I am glad you are doing better. I am 9 weeks post-op and still struggling with different symptoms. Patience is the key I guess. And ice :)
 
@Melina patience is the key on this type of recovery. Ice is very helpful, was yours an anterior or posterior approach? What kind of symptoms are you struggling with?

I spent 6 years at Luke in the 1980s when they had two wings. I was in the 405 TTW and worked F-15A/B/C/D/E aircraft...really enjoyed that area, though it is much different now. When I was on AFMC staff did quite a few visits to Edwards and the Marietta plant when the F-22 was rolling out...thought this was a cool pic so i put it up for my profile pic....better than my mug. :heehee:
 
@BigChief56 Posterior approach. I struggle with some numbness/tingling and also burning/warmth in my leg. My surgeon says it probably is because the swelling irritates the sciatic nerve. Also that a tight piriformis can contribute to this. I hope it will pass. I love the F-22.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom