Guest viewing is limited

THR Hip Pain 1 Year After THR

Reading back thru all your history revision may be a quick way to solve your pain issues.

Read you had some concerns about the femeral implant removal once the bone had secured the implant Due to complications the implant had progressed further down the femur bone . In many revisions femural implant is easily removed thru osteotomy a system of removing the implant. In my case it was needed also due to a loosening of the femeral implant . chat with your surgeon about what procedure is anticipated, and manufacture of implant. In my case a fracture in the greatortotancher also was found during surgery didn’t show up in xrays or mris or contrast mris.

once the revision was done , I regained my confidence to walk without pain again. It’s a healing journey we all take one day at a time.

keep posting on your next treatments .
 
Hi, have a quick question. Should i cancel any dental procedures until i get my hip sorted out? Reason i ask is i have a cleaning coming up in a couple of weeks and will take an antibiotic prior to the appointment. Any info/advice is appreciated. Thanks.
 
I completely agree with Elf1.. it's best to get that advice from your OS. Thy seem to have differences in their views and opinions but the most important opinion is what your OS believes.
Goodluck!! You day is fast approaching.. @BigChief56
 
Thanks all. Appreciate the advice.
 
Hello @BigChief56
Prayers for best case scenario in all.
Let us know what you hear....we'll be here.
Peace and comfort to you.
 
Got my x-rays. One is from May 2019 and the other is the most recent in Oct. I selected full image, if thumbnail would better, please let me know. Thanks, Jerry
 
Cropped them so they would just focus on the
[Bonesmart.org] Hip Pain 1 Year After THR
[Bonesmart.org] Hip Pain 1 Year After THR
implant.
 
The xray from my 1 week follow up is not in there. I'll get that the next visit. I scanned the print out they gave me. Not a great copy unfortunately.
[Bonesmart.org] Hip Pain 1 Year After THR
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@BigChief56 .....would it be possible for you to post the xrays without cropping them? And to identify the date of each image? If there are privacy issues, it's okay to crop a little on the sides, but it's important to have the full top-to-bottom image.

You're correct that the print out in your post just above is really of no value, so I've reduced it to a thumbnail image. Hopefully you can get an original image for it as well.

When do you expect to have a consultation with your surgeon about the results of all these tests?
 
Sure @Jamie I can post the full info. I may just crop out my info. Here is the May 2019 image.
Lt Hip May 2019 Xray (5).jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jamie here is the Oct 2019 image.
Lt Hip Oct 2019 Xray (3).jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jamie when i was in getting the images, they still didn't have the CT, bone scan, or blood work results yet. They suggested i call in another day or so. I have an appt with the original surgeon, next Thursday.
 
Hi @Josephine, I had THR in Nov 2018. All seemed well at the start except i couldn't really lift my leg at the beginning of the recovery and my foot pointed out pretty noticeably. At the 6 week follow up I discuss what I think are still issues - hip hurt on the outside of the thigh, still was struggling lifting my leg when sitting (getting in and out a car was a challenge), foot was still pointing outward, still very pronounce limp. He stated that these would resolve with time and we scheduled PT to help with any muscular imbalances.

So did that fairly steady from Jan 19 to early May 19. At times the leg felt better but at others felt worse. When it felt worse, the pain radiated down my thigh. I did some research and based on that I was thinking that this might be a tendon problem. I got an appointment with my surgeon's PA. He didn't seem to interested in determining what the issue was. Took an xray and he stated all was ok so I pressed and got a MRI. Heard from their office (med tech I think) a week or so later and they stated the surgeon/PA determined all was normal. So I figured I would give it more time and wait until my 1 year follow up (Nov 19).

A couple of weeks ago (mid Oct 19) I received a letter from my surgeon stating he was changing practices and could follow him or choose a different surgeon at the current practice. I opted to go to another surgeon to get a second look at it as it still hurt and at times I get a stabbing pain in the outside of my thigh. I also still have a pronounced limp.

They took an xray and while waiting and the xray was up, it was obvious I have a problem. The current surgeon explained that the stem implant has gone further into my femur and this has thrown off the bio-mechanics of the hip.

Current pain is at the top of the thigh, but it isn't constant. It is more noticeable when my leg is not supported (on a bar stool, rolling over in bed, in a chair where my foot isn't on the ground, etc.) As i am sitting here typing this there is no pain at all. First thing in the morning it is very painful (8/9) as i get up and start moving. Takes several minutes for that to get better. It does hurt quite a bit as i transition from sitting to standing and it takes several steps for that to become tolerable. Getting in and out of a car is a challenge. I can stand with full weight on the leg and it doesn't hurt, but if i stand with very little weight on it and transition to walking that is very painful. Ever since surgery i can't really rotate my leg to the outside while sitting...kind of mimicking the test a doc will do when you are on your back on the exam table. Not sure of the medical terms.
 
hip hurt on the outside of the thigh, still was struggling lifting my leg when sitting
Thanks. That explains a lot. I think this was caused by these two bone spurs interconnecting.

BC1.JPG


As for the loosening, I would say it is most definitely loosened as you can see from the dark shadow around the stem. The interlocking of the bone spurs may well have contributed to the loosening.

BC2.JPG
 
@Josephine, thanks. The testing I had done is to see it is infected, especially the blood work. That is a big concern for me. So it looks like it was most likely loose in May. Would the 2 spurs areas have interacted back then? The xray where they very close was the most recent.
 
I can't really say as I have no date line for that. I don't know what dates the two xrays were taken.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom