THR Hip number 2 on board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my friend I am very proud of you! Sounds like sticking to your guns paid off and you are finally getting the care you need. Don't ease up and don't do anything "on demand". You are in charge now!

Don't forget to ask the surgeon about a walker. I think given your pain levels and the fact you have not been immediately mobile you will need more support. Canes just don't give you that kind of support.

So happy things are finally working for you @Kay9 !
 
Thankyou @Suzette you really are an :angel:.

My sister was coming in but cant now until this eve but thats fine because Im very tired. Im suddenly really exhausted with all this.
Nurse brought me pain relief and it was just as Lunch was being brought in. She said how nice lunch looked and I agreed. She was really nice and chatty and we talked about the fact its a star rated Michelin Chef or something, and as she was going she made a remark about me enjoying it, especially as Im not paying for it. Now that remark is probably innocent and not meant to upset me, but Im now paranoid and awkward so its playing on my mind. I dont think for one second she meant it like that but the point Im making is thats how This experience here has made me feel...I wouldnt be feeling upset by such an innocuous remark normally, but its making me question even innocent remarks. And I shouldnt be feeling like that.

Anyway, Im resting quietly on my bed now, Im worried to get off the internet incase I cant get back on but my ipad battery is low and I need to turn it off, Im going to try and sleep for a while and will be back later:flwrysmile:
 
Well done, Kay! You got'm where it hurts - the local press! Nice one!
He did say it could have done with a few more staples, but didnt suggest rectifying that now.
He could have used some Steristrips! What a plonker!
The bleeding seems to be lessening thankfully, its still bleeding but not too much. He also mentioned blood vessel rupture although he didnt go into that much even though I asked him to explain.
I mentioned this earlier. But in more detail ... during surgery, the blood pressure is lowered. During and at the end of the surgery, the surgeon looks for tiny little bleeders. These are the bane of a surgeon's life as they don't bleed frankly, they just ooooooze! Anyway, his last job is to look all over the exposed tissue to see if there are any of these oozing away and the ones he finds are sealed with diathermy, a kind of cautery. When everything appears to be nice and dry, then he closes the wound. Generally that's it but once in a while, as the patient wakes up, the blood pressure gets back up and the clot created by the diathermy might get 'blown off' the tiny blood vessel. Usually this only happens in one spot but if the patient is unlucky - as you seem to have been - maybe another one or two vessels pop as well. Now you have a general ooze, not unlike a bad nose bleed. It can be persistent but ultimately, the blood does clot and seal the little blood vessels. But there is a problem in that we are all given anti-coagulants to stop the formation of blood clots, also known as deep vein thrombosis. So now the oozing blood vessels cannot seal and the oozing goes on and one. It really has nothing to do with the dressings having been changed! In fact, it's essential that they are as wet dressings allow the ingress of bacteria/infection. Changing the dressings as soon as they get wet is a very necessary means to protect the wound from infection.
He was Indian I think and I did find it difficult to understand him, I don't mean that in any racist way whatsoever, so I hope I haven't offended anyone but his accent was just strong that's all.
Don't worry about it. When I moved up north from London, I found it almost impossible to understand what the locals were saying to me! Like "Wus me doccis name? Howay mun - ah diven nar"! (interpretation "what's my doctor's name? Away man, I don't know"!) :rotfl:
Surely if it was that low when I had blood tests earlier, I guess 2 or 3 days ago that was and the day I came in, then they should have addressed that before?
It's quite possible you became anaemic during your stay. And all that blood loss wouldn't have helped!
I think a lot of them here are Agency nurses?
Absolutely!
 
Thankyou @Jaycey , it makes me all smug when you tell me your proud of me:).

Ive asked for a walker but they dont let patients use them after the first day and dont discharge patients with them. I am very wobbly on sticks. I may ask again, as it may be different now they know Im upset and threatening to complain:wink::)
 
@Kay9 I'm glad to hear you have finally seen a surgeon & the other doctor to look at the your incision and run the blood tests, and start you on some antibiotics. Sounds like things are finally moving in the right direction. I'm sure you're ready to get home but it's for the best that they are keeping you another night. Hopefully things keep moving forward.

Good to hear you contacted PALS - I never heard of them before reading this thread but if ever there was a case where they needed to get involved, it is yours.

Hope you got some rest last night.
 
Oh wow thanks @Josephine thats really explained it in easy to understand detail! Why couldnt he have done that! I really think you have pin-pointed what the problem probably is. Yes to be honest I wondered if steri-strips might have been able to be used, but when he didnt mention it I thought I was wrong, because what do I know and he's a doctor! Actually I might even approach the nurse about it, Id much rather go home knowing the incision is fully closed. I may not need it, but it will make me feel happier if they could possibly do it?

Your story about the accent made me laugh. So funny:heehee:.

Yes Im sure your right and Im probably anaemic, Im totally drained and exhausted.
Thanks so much for all your help Josephine. I dont know what Id do without this place, honestly.
 
@Hipster Girl thankyou. Yes at last things seem to be getting better. im glad I kicked off now, I wouldn't normally do that but after reading here I realised that I wasnt actually being treated very well. This place has helped me so much.
 
I am very wobbly on sticks. I may ask again
Demand a walker. Remember that you are now off their treadmill for release. They may discharge many patients with sticks but your case is different. It would be a risk to you to try and go home on just sticks. Ask to speak to the physio department manager. These minions are just being silly! :rolleyes:
 
BRAVO, @Kay9! :yay: I am SO proud of you for being the squeaky wheel! I agree with Josephine about you mentioning the press. That was a stroke of genius. Also mentioning contacting everybody short of the Pope was great as well. It's sad that it takes threats for those imbeciles to start to do their jobs, but sometimes that's the way it is. Shaking my head....
I'm glad you've seen two doctors now and hope that they continue to be attentive. I'm sorry you have to spend yet more time there, but it is likely a good thing until they get everything sorted out.
My mind is just reeling about how nothing seems to be noted in your chart. What do those people do all day? Sit around and pick their noses? They're certainly not concerned about documentation or patient care.
That place is flat out dangerous. I'm surprised it's in business still.
As far as the nurse's comment about lunch...oh, you've PAID for that lunch, and every other meal, in SPADES.
They should be bringing you filet mignon and caviar with all you've put up with!
Anyway, you get some rest and continue to kick rear ends and take names! Good Job! :)
Oh, about the walker, could your mom or sister arrange to have one for you when you're discharged? I know around here you can purchase walkers at the local drug stores. I'm not sure if it's that way in the UK, but it's something to think about since they're being such dolts about it.
Wishing you a good day and I'll be checking in to see how you are. :console2:
 
@Suzette, you are a dear! Thank you for offering to do what the rest of us SO wish we could; go and support Kay.
You are awesome! :)
 
Such good news @Kay9
Can you hear the collective sigh of relief from us BoneSmarties!!!

Know how hard it must be to advocate for yourself at this time but you have done marvellously (with a lot of help from Josephine & Jaycey)

I would like to think that the nightmare is over & your great recovery can begin.

And, hey, if you want a walker you should flippin' well have one....ridiculous.....no way would I have been able to go without two crutches.... Cane was useless at that early stage.

As for that 'throw away' remark about not paying for your food... Just let it go over your head & order more next time!!!

@Suzette is an absolute star!!!!! Well done that girl!!! A typical BoneSmartie response..... We all wish we could come & cosset you for a few days....Such a fab community this is.

Sending healing wishes... Chrissie x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I'm so relieved that you finally saw a surgeon. I also think it's excellent that you contacted authorities and documented everything. It sounds like the incision is healing. It's interesting to hear all of the details from Josephine. I didn't know any of those things.

A walker makes such a difference. My dad brought me two that my mom had used before she died. I just think they give you so much more stability and security. I wish I could lend you mine.

I'm glad you're staying another night, just to be on the safe side. The remark that nurse made sounds very manipulative. What an ugly thing to say. When women make snide remarks like that to me I answer, "Thank you. What a sweet thing to say. I new you'd say something like that." It doesn't happen often, but it lets them know I'm on to them. I wonder if she's trying to bait you so that she can say you were difficult.

Anyway, I don't mean to be negative. I'm glad the food is good. You need that nutrition. I hope things continue to improve.
 
You can get a walker from the Red Cross. If you want, they will deliver it to the nursing home for you! And it just costs a donation to the fund!
What do those people do all day? Sit around and pick their noses?
Quite probably!
They should be bringing you filet mignon and caviar
from hospital kitchens?
[Bonesmart.org] Hip number 2 on board
 
LOL, Josephine. :) Perhaps the filet mignon and caviar could be brought in from a top notch restaurant? Since they can't be bothered to bring her ice or meds on schedule, I'm sure that would be asking for the moon.
Great information you've provided! Good to know. :)
 
@Kay9 Hope you are getting some much needed rest tonight. I assume you will be discharged tomorrow. My thoughts are with you!
 
@Kay9 everyone else has said all the things I would say so I will give you a Standing Ovation!!! You have taken charge, and it will pay off.
I like that the Red Cross will deliver you a walker right there where you are :lol: also, before I'd read Jo's post re that, I looked on Amazon UK and found exactly what you'd need-- walker with front wheels for under £25, Prime eligible if you have it.
It's nearly 6pm here so I'm hoping things are quiet there and you can get some healing sleep.
You mentioned your iPad battery running low-- all the hospitals here (don't know about nursing homes tho!) have every hookup you can imagine just at the head of the bed. So I was able to plug and play. There were a few times when the cord got tangled with the IV equipment but that was more funny than anything.
Looking forward to your next post saying you've had a lovely breakfast with bottomless cuppa, and have compiled your list of topics for the OS.
Also cannot wait to hear what PALS and the other one (not QVC but that's all I can think of) have to say.
Thinking of you zzzzzz-ing :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Hi @Kay9 first of all... applause for you, dear woman! You did so well.. and I can't wait for those other nasty nurses to see that you were ordered to stay another day by the orders of a surgeon!
I agree that some steer strips would be so reassuring to you and they should be in place before you're dismissed.
And yes, everything has been covered by the other Bonesmarties and I agree with all that's been said. @Suzette , what a sweetheart! Another shining example of how important this forum and web site is!!

I hope you are fast asleep and when you awaken you see a dry bandage and a kind faced surgeon waiting to discuss your care.

You are doing great! Keep up the stiff upper lip and don't take any lip.. still keeping you in my prayers. I try to picture you in the hospital bed in my prayers but <3 I can visualize is your high heeled red shoe.. haha
:prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer: :ice::ice::ice: :ice: :console2:
 
You star giz a hug. You handled it so well as they were hoping to bully you out home. I know I have said several times it seems things are better here but they really do seem so. It was me after six days in said right I'm going home ty. There are plenty of things annoy me here eg you won't wait in waiting room for over twenty mins so they just move you from one to another. But they are good the main problem I have is gps there treatment consists of antibiotics or its a virus so do nought. I have submitted a report to a committee that is talking to a parliamentary committee for my silly CRPS and main theme is more training for GPS. Anyway go girl you carry on biting butts, taking all infection controls into account of course.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Good morning @Kay9 ,
First of all - congratulations for having the operation on your other leg done.

I'm so sorry about those things that went wrong but glad there's light at the end of the tunnel. @Suzette is a very nice person, offering support. And Josephine is indeed very professional.

I read both your recovery threads with great interest and can't help repeating what others said who posted here: The follow-up treatment at this nursing home as they call it is a whole lot of rubbish. I'm not even so sure about your surgeon of the second time around: He seems to be working like in an assembly line and doesn't seem to be interested in following up the surgery. I met a surgeon like that here in Germany, someone who does thousands and thousands of hips a year at various hospital in the Rhine-Main area, apparently technically very professional but no time at all to speak to patients and answer their questions. So I post-poned surgery and chose a different one.

Regarding the icing: It's wrong to deprive you of your ice. The nurses at my hospital, too, claimed - no benefit beyond 15 or so minutes, and in my rehab centre where I went afterwards, they said ice was only for knee patients. What nonsense. When I was at home visiting hubby at week-ends, I iced longer on the sofa, and that felt very good.

About your haemoglobulin: Yes 12 or 13 is a normal level - I had below 8 some time back in the 90s and that's extremely low - people were wondering how I could still be up and about. It was seen to - I just took the contraceptive pill to moderate the menstrual bleeding and recovered fast. On leaving my hospital, it was about 11 - still low but acceptable.

I'm glad you contacted your patient advocate organisation. In Germany we have websites where we can rate doctors and hospitals and also write a short report. A well-known site is www.jameda.de. There, you can give marks like school marks to doctors and hospitals for things such as professionalism, bed-side manners, child-friendliness, parking facilities, food, etc., etc., I wonder whether something similar exists for UK hospitals and nursing facilities. If so, rate your nursing home there and give them the worst possible marks. Did you not say the place where you had the operation was in Bath? I lived there for six months in the winter of 1977/78 during my course of study.

You're not being racialist when you say you find people with strong accents hard to understand. I also have difficulty with some Indians. The thing is some of them not only have an accent, they mumble. Don't doctors in England have to take an English test? For doctors and nurses I think it's important to communicate well with the patients. My husband contacted a Polish nurse at his hospital when he had an OP on his shoulder and the pain would not subside. She didn't seem to understand him, and didn't respond to his request. Her German wasn't all that fluent.

Not providing the required pain killers and forcing you to get mobile so early - never heard of anything like that. At the hospital where I had the OP they don't usually get patients to walk before 48 hours have expired post OP, and I managed after 24 hours because I was so fit. On the first day, we were just supposed to do light exercises lying in bed. My painkiller was Voltaren (Diclofenac). Don't know if that's known in the UK but I've read it's also an NSAID like Ibuprofen and Parazetamol - and quite strong. I took it twice a day for 2 weeks and just in the evening for another weej - but then again I was probably healing fast and/or have a low pain threshold like many hobby sports people (I like triathlon). Depriving you of pain-killers when in pain: that's plainly and simply cruel. And the incision - well it looks as if whoever stitched it up bungled it up. So not only does the left hand not know what the right one is doing, but they also seem to be wanting to save costs - not managing the pain and discharging people at all costs even when they are not ready yet.

So pleased you are your own advocate. Let's hope that in a few week's time, you will be able to forget this and be up and about - but I think everything will be allright, because you show strength, perseverance and a first-class sense of humour. Good luck - Constanze
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom