THR Hip number 2 on board

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I saw the pic I did have hmmmmm moment. I think it is really important you speak to OS as if nothing else it will calm those nagging thoughts. He can also reassess you pain management. Take care pal and big hugs

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thankyou everyone.

I cant see my surgeon because he is working in Essex now. I asked if they could speak to him but they said not really.

Im just waiting to go to xray to see if theres any problem there, although they dont think there is. If nothing shows on the xray, the doctor said I just have to push through it and get walking with physio. I dont know how Im supposed to do that when I cant put my leg down.

Ok they came to get me for xray as I was writing that, xray looks ok so its not a fracture or anything. My leg is huge! Its still bleeding but they arnt worried about it @Josephine and said its pretty normal...I believe you more than I believe them, I havnt got much faith in them at the moment to be honest. Theyre still only letting me ice for 20 mims at a time.
Physio have just been as I was writing, theyve made me walk down the passage on sticks ( theyve taken the frame away) and I did it but it was excruciating, every step made me cry. Theyre coming back later this afternoon for me to do stairs. Im in agony and dreading it but I guess I have no choice but to do it, seeing as theres nothing wrong showing up on xray. The nurse said maybe this leg was manipulated more roughly than the other one, or the surgeon may have had trouble getting the prosthetic in or something, or it could be nerve damage. Either way Ive got to get mobile today, so after some morphine and tramadol and something beginning with G, gaber-something, Im off to the stairs.

Ive just looked and the new dressing is covered already, im hoping that blood looks more than it is really, if you see what I mean, because its been like it now since Wednesday, Im guessing im not losing as much blood as It looks?
 
@Kay9 Ask to speak to PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Services) in the hospital immediately. Better yet, call them on your cell phone and get them working for you. This is ridiculous making you get mobile while you pain and bleeding is not controlled. You need to speak to the surgeon on call. If the nurses won't arrange this get PALS involved.
 
I agree you need to get the process slowed down. It feels like they are following a predetermined plan. It does sound like there was greater manipulation this time, I'm well versed in that one. The Haber is Gaberpentin well probably so. Its for nerve pain. Hang in their shiny shoes

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Oh @Kay if I were there you would see the steam exploding out my ears!!! I am quite angry at the way you have been treated-- and NOT treated, too.
What would happen if you said that you were not taking one step until you had been seen by the hospitalist Doctor? On call surgeon, whatever they may be called.
I am very glad your xray is good, but everything else needs to be sorted out and put right pronto. Jaycey's idea of calling PALS sounds like just the ticket!
Many prayers :) :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
I hope the morphine and gaberpentin work. Just getting you out of pain should be the first priority. I can't believe they expect you to walk without the walker already.

I'm hoping that you've gotten some support through PALS. I refused to do certain things right after my surgery. We're all pulling for you. You definitely need a strong advocate for protection. The PT's don't know what it feels like. If it were me, I would refuse to do stairs or anything that was making me cry until a qualified surgeon sees that wound, and your pain is under control. (I know, easy for me to say.) It's so hard to be by yourself in situations like this. I'm saying prayers for you. You deserve empathy and assistance right now. The ice thing really bothers me, too.
 
Im in agony and dreading it but I guess I have no choice but to do it, seeing as theres nothing wrong showing up on xray.
On the contrary - you do indeed have a choice. Please tell PT you will not do anymore walking without proper support (a walker) and only after you have seen the surgeon on call. They are trying to put you on the "normal track" and your case is not straight forward. Please do not feel you need to leave hospital with any of these complications. The safest place for you to be right now in there.
 
@Jaycey Im unsure how to go about contacting Pals, so I mentioned it to one of the nicer nurses and she said she was unsure too and will see what she can find out . So I then asked if there was an on-call surgeon could come and speak to me and look at my incision, and she said she will speak to someone about that, but that really it should be the surgeon that did the op seeing me. I told her Id already asked to see him but he is working in another hospital in another town all weekend. ( I feel I have to keep repeating stuff to every nurse on a shift change, its like nothing is ever passed over?)

Anyway, I tried to shower but moving about and getting undressed was so painful I ended up having to stop and ring the bell for help. The Nurse helped me, took me back to my bed and told me to rest. 2 minutes after she went Physio came in. I said I cant do this now, Im in too much pain, so they went off to see to someone else . They came back after and were insistent I do the stairs. Every step was awful, I tried really hard to do it but just couldnt, I ended up crying and the physio seemed a bit fed up of me, they had to go get a wheelchair to bring me back to my room.

Ive been told Im going home tomorrow probably. Ive asked over and over about my wound but every person says something different or dont seem to know what to say. Ive put another picture up of it Ive just taken now, with another new dressing that was put on this morning...I think it looks like the bleeding is slowing down a bit? Or is that wishful thinking?

Thanks for making me feel Im not on my own. Its only my Mum and one of my sisters visiting and they dont want to cause any trouble, my sister says Im lucky to be in such a nice hospital, and I kind of agree , but she hasnt got to be in pain like this. It is a lovely place but for some reason they dont seem to be giving me the treatment I need, and Im feeling like a nuisance.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Hip number 2 on board
    image.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 230
Please insist on seeing a surgeon. You need that wound checked. And your mom and sister should be kicking up a fuss. This is just not right. PT has no right to be forcing you.
 
Ive just asked again for a surgeon to come and see me. The Nurse asked me if I wanted the dressing changed again or left...I didnt know because Im not a Nurse:shrug: So I just said to leave it. It hurts to have it changed all the time because its pulling at it so leaving it for now is best I think. Most of the nurses are saying its normal to be bleeding like that, only one said it doesnt look right to her.
I thought, like last time, the dressing goes on and stays on until the 2 week check to have staples or stitches out, it shouldnt be needing daily changes, even I know that.

As soon as the surgeon comes I will let you know @Jaycey . Thankyou again for all your help and concern.:flwrysmile:
 
Sweetie, you DO NOT have to just do what they say. @Kay9, this is YOUR body and YOUR pain and YOUR bleeding we're talking about. I know this is rough, but you need to start being the squeaky wheel. Start complaining, start refusing, and do it loudly.
Believe all of us when we tell you that the care you are receiving is rubbish. From one hand not knowing what the other is doing, to their refusal to listen to you...it's wrong.
DEMAND until you are listened to.
I'm so sorry you're having to endure this. Please know I am sending out good thoughts for you by the ton, and if I could I would gladly go to that hospital and kick some rear ends for you. :console2:
 
I agree you need to see a surgeon. Do not let others there tell you what to do. Who is overseeing your meds etc? Is there a nurse manager you can speak with? What type of tape are they putting around or over the dressing? I only had mine changed once before I went home the next day (glued) but when I took tape off there were open blisters from skin coming off from the tape. It hurt like crazy. Is your pain inside or topical? I don't know how they could be putting tape on and off like that. I am wishing you quick answers to your problems.
 
Thankyou everyone for your support and encouragement its very appreciated and comforting to know you are here to talk to.

Its 3.50am and I rang the bell for more pain meds at 3.20ish, the night nurse came and went to get them but hasnt come back yet so im going to ring the bell again . Its a small hospital, only 24 beds I think, and Im in my own room, at the end of the corridor , theres no noise outside or any sign anyone else is here, I feel Im in this place on my own!

@Doodles51 Ive no idea whose over-seeing my meds, I rarely see the same nurse twice, at night is the only time I see the same nurse coming in.
The pain is both inside and topical. The leg hurts deep in the groin and all around the top of the thigh, but the incision hurts too, like a stinging pain. Im guessing its because its being pulled about a lot with dressing changes?

Ok nurse has just come back with my meds, paracetamol and ibuprofen. Ive no idea whats happening here, but I just said To her that I was down for stronger meds if I need them, she looked on my chart and asked me why I refused Gaberpentin earlier?:unsure:. I never refused it? But she said its written on my chart. Obviously a mix up or something.

No surgeon has been to look at my wound. I am going to ask again in the morning. I know they want me out of here tomorrow, thats why physio are pushing and pushing. They make it very hard to say no to them, they dont just say "ok" and leave. When I told them yesterday I couldnt do it, they said I have to, the xrays are fine and theres no reason I cant try harder, that of course its uncomfortable but its beneficial. I dont call crying with every step "uncomfortable". Then we did standing exercises, but I cant lift my leg without massive pain so that didnt go well, I saw them glance between themselves when I cried out a bit, so they obviously think Im a bit of a wuss. I wish they knew me..I dont make a fuss, I dont play on things, I push myself and get on with it. If I say Im in pain then I really am in a lot of pain otherwise I would just put up with it.
I know Im going to have a battle with physio tomorrow but Im NOT doing it if Im in this pain still. They can hang around giving each-other looks all they want, Im not doing anything tomorrow that makes me cry.

So, my "to do" list tomorrow is ask AGAIN for a surgeon to check my wound, refuse Physio if this pain is still this intense, find out why its on my notes that Im refusing meds when Im not and if none of that goes the way I want it to, ask for whoever is in charge to contact PALS .

This is a beautiful hospital, more like a hotel, Michelin starred Chef, plush surroundings and all private rooms, but if the basic care isnt right, none of the above matters. Its a private hospital and Im here as an NHS patient, its probably nothing to do with me not being a private patient like most here are, but Im beginning to wonder if my treatment here is anything to do with that. I hope not, because I deserve the same care as anyone with money to pay for it.

Omg another Nurse just came in with Gaberpentin for me, and said I couldnt have Morphine because it makes me very sick doesnt it. I said No, it doesnt make me sick, and she said its in my notes. Wth is going on? Im beginning to think Ive got somebody else's notes! Ive NOT refused pain meds and Ive NOT been very sick with Morphine.
Roll on tomorrow, I can feel a kick off coming on now. And now my wound has just bled through onto my PJs. Just great.
Edited to add Ive just looked at the wound and the reason its bled through is because the dressing is off on one side, its come away. So now im going to have to have that done too. They must be sick of me ringing that bell tonight.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello @Kay9 I'm upset reading your thread, if I were closer I'd be there in a flash! Sending you good thoughts and happy, healing vibes along with strength to get those nurses to get it together for you. I hope you are able to get some rest and that you at least have some :ice: to help with the pain. All the best to you.
 
@Kay9 I am just sickened just reading about your treatment! I wish I could come to your aide and kick up a fuss that would have the staff reeling in their footsteps! nobody should be treated with such callous unprofessionalism.
And of course you aren't a wuss. Everyone has their perception of what pain is and if you are crying with each movement then you have met your max. I will begin sending prayers right now and sending you healing light to surround you and help you heal.
This is just so upsetting.. please promise me that you will raise a big fuss?
 
Thankyou @Plum Perfect , I appreciate your thoughts. Ive just had the dressing changed and the nurse was lovely, even made me a cup of tea . She said it looks to her like there arnt enough staples in the incision, especially at the ends, she thinks it looks a bit open. That would account for the bleeding I guess? I said I wanted a surgeon to take a look tomorrow and she agreed. She redressed it but its throbbing like hell now. I cant believe nobody is concerned about the fact its been bleeding through dressings for 3 days , their lack of concern would reassure me that alls ok, if not for Jaycey and Josephine telling me its not normal. I trust BoneSmart more than I trust the hospital staff.
Am slightly fed up at the moment.
 
Hi @CricketHip we were cross posting then. Thankyou so much for your kindness, you all make me feel less alone in this. Its sad that I cant rely on my Family to help me, but strangers thousands of miles away are concerned for me. Yes I promise I will kick up a mighty fuss tomorrow Crickethip. Im done being compliant.
Thanks for your healing light. Just the words make me feel better.
 
Dear Kay9, I am so disappointed for you! You should have a more caring and empathetic medical team to take care of you! At least the last nurse you saw seems to care a little...I am praying for you that you find relief from the pain and some answers to your questions.




Just4mules (Julie)
October 20, 2015 LTHR
 
Thankyou @Just4mules , yep the last nurse was lovely, tried to be gentle when changing the dressing and apologised because it hurt. Just seemed more caring in general. And of course, made me a cuppa, which was lovely.
Hoping pain meds kick in soon because its throbbing like hell, and the groin pain is intense whenever I move my leg. I need to sleep too, am so tired.
 
@Kay9 So sorry that you are having these difficulties & frustrations in hospital. Please do insist that a doctor looks at your scar today & don't leave until they have (once you leave the hospital there will be nobody to see it). It really doesn't matter that you are an NHS patient....you should be receiving better treatment than you currently are.
So glad the nurse you last saw was kind......that's how they all should be. It's not your fault, you are not making an undue fuss...you just need to be reassured that your wound is ok & that is not unreasonable.
Also, do not let the physios bully you into doing what you don't want or can't do.....
Thinking of you & hoping that you can get some answers & treatment you need..........please don't let them send you home until you are satisfied that all is well.
Sending lots of good wishes your way xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom