THR Hip number 2 on board

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DeepBreath yes its 8.45pm now. So at least I dont have a full day here today feeling like I shouldnt be here.

Im terrible if anyone hurts an animal. Any animal but dogs in particular. Ive been knocked out because I tried to stop an idiot hitting his poor dog and he turned on me. I hate animal abuse and will never, ever turn away or walk away without trying to do something.
Pity Im not more like that about myself lol..
 
@Kay9, I hear you. If we only put that passion into defending ourselves, right? I think it's terrific that you advocate for those who cannot speak for themselves though. That says a lot about your character. :)
 
Thankyou @DeepBreath :flwrysmile:.

Yay shift change and nice nurse who made me a cuppa is on:yes!: Shes just poked her head in the door and asked if I needed anything, I said Ice please,,so shes getting me some, I haven't had any today. Im going to ask her to change my dressing, she was very gentle last night.
 
Yaaay! So happy your nice nurse will be there to watch over you tonight. :)
Sending good vibes that tonight will be restful, your incision and pain are better, and that tomorrow sees you discussing, and resolving the issues.
Take care, hippie buddy. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Kay9 I have just caught up with your thread and I just want to say how sorry I am that you have had such a bad time in hospital I hope you have a better nights sleep with less pain and you get to see a surgeon in the morning.
 
Kay9, I agree 110% with everything Jaycey has said and more. My blood pressure must have gone up 10 points just reading all this. Do you have a phone? Then you should phone the main hospital and ask to speak to your surgeon - I'd say or his secretary but it's Saturday of course! If they won't or can't pass on a message, ask to speak to his registrar or Fellow and tell him all about it and that you desperately need to be seen by someone because of this bleeding.

You get in touch with PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) by simply phoning the hospital and asking to be put through to their office. I do suggest you do this at the earliest opportunity which means you should document all your treatment and experience so you can pass it over to them. Another place you can register your complaint is the Quality Care Commission who take reports of this nature very seriously. Each and every incident you mentioned was a case of gross neglect, abuse and unprofessional behaviour and you could even take legal action if your felt inclined but at a later date, of course.

For myself - and I say this for all other UK members who are reading this - I would never, ever choose to be treated in a private hospital as they generally have no resident medical staff and certainly none overnight. I don't think this is safe for patients fresh out of surgery nor for those who, like Kay9, have complications.

Kay9, you've done well against appalling odds to stand your ground (pardon the pun!) and in the face of abusive and uncompromising staff which you should not have had to do. None of this was your fault. You are not a wuss, a nuisance or a complainer. You had a right and a duty to complain about this appalling treatment and I really do hope you will take it further at such a time as you feel able to.

I hope you get to see your surgeon and are able to tell him what atrocious treatment you have had.
 
:friends:Thank you @DeepBreath and @Kim22 . The nurse is lovely, shes changed my dressing and didn't hurt me much at all, she was as gentle as she could be, which wasnt easy for her as the dressing was stuck to the wound. She had a good look at the wound, and again thinks it looks like theres too big a gap at the ends that aren't stapled. She also said the staples dont look very close together. Shes not sure thats where the blood is coming from though as the whole incision looks quite bloody. She mentioned a Haematoma ( dont know if thats spelled correctly ) that could be another cause.

Im definitely staying here until I see my surgeon, or any surgeon if not him. The dressing she put on about 20 minutes already has blood on it. Not much, to be fair, but its still some.

My horrible pain isn't quite so bad tonight. Ive had plenty of pain relief, :yes!:and the Ice is great, Ive not had any today even though Ive asked over and over, they seem to go to get it then forget. Its just more of an ache at the moment, although Im getting up to go to the bathroom in a minute, that usually makes it worse for a while. Hopefully the pain tablets will be totally kicked in and I wont be in too much discomfort by then.

Thankyou everyone, youve all been more support than I think you realise. If nasty Nurse is on I may tell her she has an attitude problem as Im leaving:yes:. And if I see the Physios, I may tell them they are brutal and that until they have had their leg sawed chopped and hammered they have no clue how this really feels .:no-fin:.

Feeling a bit woozy now, maybe its the tablets :chillpill:. Id better go to the bathroom now before it kicks in too much otherwise they may find me in the morning asleep on the loo:shocked:.
 
Well said, Josephine. Kay9, I just caught up with your thread. It's just sickening to me what has happened. I'm so glad you have a nicer nurse now. I'm also very relieved that you stood up for yourself. They have been so abusive to you. The PT's sound like bullies. It's inexcusable, not to mention dangerous.

At least that nurse told them off when you hadn't had your meds. Finally someone there defended you. They are supposed to medicate you before PT.

It sounds very disorganized and like there are a lot of power struggles going on...I don't understand why another surgeon hasn't looked at your incision. It's a hospital! It seems so ridiculous to me. My surgeon went on vacation the third day I was there, but one of his fellows still came first thing in the morning to check on me. You've had a major surgery, and they should be more responsible.

I hope things get better and that you can get rest and healing. You have good documentation here if you need it.
 
@Josephine thankyou so much! I was hoping to hear your thoughts on this. Ive quickly read what youve said and will read it again in the morning when Im more lucid. Youve given me a lot of good info and Ive decided Im going to take this further. im not usually the type of person to do that but I think I have to.
I will read and re-read your post tomorrow and do whatever I need to do. Thankyou so much :)
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Yes your right...last time my surgeon came twice to my room to check on me after surgery. In the beginning I wasnt very taken with him, his people skills seemed poor and he never smiled, but he turned out to be a great surgeon and I know thats why my recovery was so rapid.

This surgeon now hasnt even been to see me once since surgery. I understand he works in lots of different hospitals, but I think its important that the surgeon sees his patient after surgery. Im taking forever tomtype because my eyes keep closing lol, somI think I need tomgo now, but I didmt want to ignore your post .
 
Hi @Kay9 hope your eyes are now shut. The last bit of your post was funny. Read it when you are lucid xx

I too am totally disgusted with that hospital and the staff. I want to drive down there tomorrow and see you and help in some way. I am probably only an hour away in Bromsgrove worc. Please message me if you want a bit of support. Xxxxxxxxoxox

And they better come and help you and the surgeon better show up, as you have a wicked holiday booked for next year and we want to hear about it!!!

Will check in on your progress tomorrow and I mean it...if you want a visitor let me know

Xx
 
It's a hospital! It seems so ridiculous to me.
Actually, it's not a hospital, it's a nursing home and a small one at that - only 24 beds so Kay said. So no resident medical staff, on call staff or anything. Not good.
 
I just read Josephine's message. Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize it was a small nursing home. I can't believe they would put someone there right after a hip replacement. They actually do the surgery in the same facility? I find that so strange and unsafe. I hope Suzette comes to visit you. And I hope you got some sleep. Please don't worry about answering posts.
 
@Kay9 I am so happy to hear that the "good nurse" is on tonight with you!
I know you are exhausted and will hopefully get a good night's sleep but if you are awake early in the morning please try to write down your thoughts/questions and concerns for the surgeon.
Well, only if you think it would help. I know it always helps me.
Josephine gave some really good advice, if the surgeon is a no show tomorrow morning you will have some good pointers from her on how to proceed.
You can sleep easy tonight, you have your nurse to help you if it's needed... so rest easy and prayers still going up for you. I am so proud of you for standing your ground.
 
I'll be checking on you today @Kay9 ! Stay strong and keep that little list in your head.

I agree what Jo said about calling the hospital main number and asking to speak to your surgeon. Or - do you have an office number for your OS? Even though it's Sunday, your OS may have an emergency contact number.
 
So glad that Josephine & Jaycey are here for you @Kay9 it must vindicate the way you feel & hopefully empower you to insist that you get the treatment you deserve. This is not what you need after a major op.

The surgeon should have come to see you well before now.... I'm sure that's the protocol no matter what hospital you are in.

Hoping that you get some answers today and can get on with your recovery.

Thinking of you xxxx




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Thank you everyone. Its been very unreliable getting online using the hospitals wifi, Ive been trying since 11am, I think they dont want me to talk to you :sos:.:yes::wink:

Quite a lot gone on today.
A special thankyou to you @Suzette , thats a extremely kind offer to make and you are a special person to offer to do that, thankyou from the bottom of my heart, it touched me very much to be honest, maybe Im a bit over-emotional at the moment but it brought tears to my eyes. I hopefully will be sorted out properly and out of here today anyway. Fingers crossed. But Thankyou:flwrysmile:
Edited to add, I wrote that then found out I wont be home today...as below.

This may be long, sorry.

First, Ive contacted PALS. I found out that my local PALS is in the main hospital near here, but there was no phone number to contact them so I went onto their website. There was a form to fill out if I wanted to contact them, so I did that, I found it easier to do that than try to relay it all over the phone because I was able to put all the detail in there. I told them EVERYTHING, even small things that I probably wouldnt have mentioned by phone. Anyway, they contact you back within 24 hours and then we will take it from there. Their website is very interesting and informative and I feel confident they will help me with this, so thankyou @Jaycey for telling me to contact them. Ive also found out that The Quality Care Commision are linked to that same hospital, So I emailed them my complaint too, in the same detail as to PALS, thankyou @Josephine for telling me about them as I didnt even know they existed.

Dont faint anybody, but I have seen a Surgeon! :thud:Not MY surgeon but at least a Surgeon. What happened was the nurse came in with my discharge bag of tablets and letter etc.. Seemed to think I was going then. i said I was waiting to see my surgeon, and she looked really puzzled and said "oh. Ok. Well I will have to check that" and went. She came back and said theres nothing in my notes that says the surgeon wants to see me.?? I told her no, its that I want to see HIM. Off she went again. Then another nurse, I think more senior, came in and said My surgeon had been in earlier but was not there now. I got really annoyed and said there was supposed to be a message left for him that I wanted to see him, but she didnt know anything about that. I got very upset and to be fair she was very kind but by this time I was beyond being "nice" and said Im contacting EVERYONE about this, even the press! Anyway to cut a very long story short ( theres was lots of tooo-ing and fro-ing and tears and confusion) a Surgeon came to look at my wound. He said similar to the Nurse, that it looks as if the ends and a small bit in the middle possibly are a little open. He said they will eventually knit together but it could take a few more days before that happens but in his opinion its already started happening as one bit looks like its started to do that. He said the problem was that with all the wound dressing disturbing it its probably taken a bit longer than it should have. He did say it could have done with a few more staples, but didnt suggest rectifying that now. He also mentioned blood vessel rupture although he didnt go into that much even though I asked him to explain. It is very swollen and red but he didnt think there was an infection there, but Im now on IV antibiotics just as a safeguard I think? I said does that mean Im not going home today and he said yes, I will be here overnight. The bleeding seems to be lessening thankfully, its still bleeding but not too much.
Then another Doctor I hadnt seen before came in and said he wanted to do a blood test because they noticed that in my blood test results from earlier in my stay, that my haemoglobin was low. He told me some numbers, I think he said they only worry about it if its below 80? @Josephine you will know this, and mine was 72, I think thats what he said anyway. He was Indian I think and I did find it difficult to understand him, I dont mean that in any racist way whatsoever, so I hope I havnt offended anyone but his accent was just strong thats all .

Surely if it was that low when I had blood tests earlier, I guess 2 or 3 days ago that was and the day I came in, then they should have addressed that before? Because it means if I hadn't kicked up a fuss about going home, I wouldnt have found this out and would just have gone. I dont know why suddenly they are addressing this now, maybe because of blood loss, I dont know? Anyway, he did another blood test and will be getting back to me with results this afternoon.

So finally I feel things are moving forward a bit. Im unhappy Im staying here another night, especially with the awkward atmosphere here yesterday. Although to be honest I havnt seen the nasty nurse today at all. I seem to rarely see the same nurse twice, I think a lot of them here are Agency nurses? Of course the physio are always here.:arrow:Just let them try to get me even doing bed exercises today! :censored:

So thats all my update. If Josephine or Jaycey could give their thoughts about whats happened this morning that would be great ThankYou.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Kay9 phew you got things moving. How absolutely terrible. So glad you have informed PALS and CQC. I had to report my Dads nursing home to the CQC and they did sort things and put them on special measures...

A females hb is supposed to be about 12 so I bet yours is 7. Sometimes I think they talk in bigger numbers that I dont understand either. Maybe a different sort of test.

Good you are on antibiotics even if its a just in case and good they are now listening at last. Disgusting the way you have been treated.

Try and get some rest before going home.
Is your mom coming to help again?

And...I am only up the road, well motorway, if needed.

Loads of love and wishes xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom