Guest viewing is limited

THR Hip number 2 on board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Kay9 How are you feeling this morning ? I really hope the hospital staff have got their act together now and have improved their care.We are all routing for you and hoping that you are getting adequate pain relief and that you start to feel better very soon.Healng hugs
 
Hi all :wowspring:Thanks for all your support and cheer leading:yay:.

I was discharged at 10 this morning. Was a bit of an awkward moment when PALS lady rang me as I was with the nurse discharging me :heehee: So I told her I couldnt talk then and shes calling me back. I didnt want to talk with the nurse there. But I did say to my sister who was sat there "that was PALS. The Patient Liason Service":snork: And the nurses head shot up!

Ive kind of reached a compromise on my wanting a walker. I said I cant be discharged on sticks like last time, because Im not as stable as last time and that I wanted a walker, so the Nurse went to see physio, my favourite people:blackcloud:. She came back and said they never discharge with a walker no matter what, but have agreed to discharge me with crutches as well as sticks if I wanted? Ive never used crutches before so had a go on them and found them much better than the sticks, I feel much more supported and stable on them, so Im quite happy with that.
Painwise Im not too bad, although I do wish they would discharge with something stronger than Ibuprofin and paracetamol. Some Gabapantin would have been good too. When reading out my discharge drug list the nurse said they havnt put Tramadol in there because I have some at home. I never said I had some at home, but luckily I do have some, enough until I can order more anyway. Also apparently I should have been given a special staple removing tool, but they couldnt find one in time for me to go so are posting one off to me.

Ah now, the famous incision. That was a bit of a battle. It was last changed last night by nice nurse, and this morning I asked the nurse on duty to take another look at it before I go. She was reluctant , she said it doesnt look as if it needs looking at as not much bleeding had come through in the night, but to me it looked as if quite a lot had come through. I said ok I will take a look myself and made as if to start taking the dressing off:wink: And she suddenly helped then. She cleaned the wound because it was quite bloody and I pointed out the gaps where the nice nurse said it looks as if more staples should have been used. She made some noises but didnt say anything, so I said while we have the dressing off, could she please put some steristrips on, just for my own peace of mind. She said it didnt need it, I said Id be happier, we went around in circles a bit and then she put them on :yes: After it was dressed I asked if I could have some to take home, just incase, and a spare dressing or two. She said I wouldnt need it, I said Id like it anyway and then, incredibly, she said that most people dont have to even change the dressing at all from when its been put on in theatre !:thud: I said "exactly,! Yet mine has been changed multiple times a day, so doesnt that prove somethings not right?!" :) I got the spare dressings and the steristrips.

Just before we left the room the nurse put a survey card on the table for me to fill out giving feedback about my care.:flabber: Oh I filled that out alright:censored:.

Anyway, Ive survived, Im home, and now the fun begins with my Mum and Daughter all over again.

:dubious:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I do want to add, I honestly do not know what I would have done with all my BoneSmart friends. I dont know how I would've coped with this, well, I wouldnt have coped, Id have just accepted what they said and possibly been very ill.
You all have been such a support, you have been true friends even though Ive never met a single one of you, you made me feel less alone,gave me the strength to do what needed to be done, and the courage to face these people and stand up for myself.
What is scary is that Im sure this isnt the first time this has happened , but other people probably faced it all alone as they didnt have this place to come running to and get feedback and comfort from. What would happen to those people ? It doesnt bare thinking about.

Thankyou thankyou each and every one of you. I could NOT have done this without you. I just could NOT, its that simple.
 
Yaaaay. The fact that PALS will be involved hopefully will mean less of a chance of it being so bad. You are on fire girl, I pity any cold caller knocking on your door right now......
Take care lass megga hugs

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hooraayy for you @Kay9 !!!!!!!!! You stood up to them and got what you needed, I am overjoyed for you!
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during the part with the nurse and PALS and the steri-strips and the "under no circumstances do we ever discharge anyone with a walker" part. I suppose that means if some 90 year old frail person used a walker all the time, they would refuse the walker to that person at discharge purely on principle!! Tearing hair out time :lol:
I'm glad the crutches are to your taste-- just pleeeeease promise me you won't use them on any ladders to second story windows..... ;)
You know the drill now-- and you'll get to make up for lost time with the ice, too. If I thought we wouldn't land in the hoosegow for it, I'd mail you my supply of tramadol :lol:
By now you've certainly done your 900 front steps, and mum and daughter know you better this time round! And... daughter has that scrumptious spring holiday to anticipate. Is she like my son-- driving both herself and you mad during the anticipation phase?
You've been in my prayers and will stay there :)



My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
So happy to read you are discharged - and with crutches. Yes, they are much more stable and safer for you at this point.

I really don't understand how your records could have been so different from your real situation. I can't stress enough - please tell PALS everything. You are exactly right, this is probably happening over and over again. By speaking up you will do your bit to (hopefully) save someone else from going through this.

BTW - if you have any problems with your incision call your GP. They should also be able to take those staples out for you. Make an appointment in the next 10-14 days. They may even send a nurse to check the wound and change the dressing if needed.
Just before we left the room the nurse put a survey card on the table for me to fill out giving feedback about my care.
Wow - bet the survey card was smoking!

Happy we could help you through that nightmare. This is what BoneSmart is all about. Rest up now and take good care of yourself. You have lots of friends here sending you healing vibes!
 
Hi @Jaycey, I spoke with PALS and added the bits that have happened since I filled out the online form, so they now have the entire picture. We spoke for quite a long time, and I gave them permission to access my medical records if need be, and she asked me what route I would want to go down with this. I wasnt sure, as I didnt know Id be given options, I didnt know it worked like that, so I asked what she advised, but she said she couldnt influence me in any way but I think she was hinting at option 3 to be honest, so she is going to call me back tomorrow after Ive thought about it. PALS would approach the hospital and after putting my concerns to them would arrange for...

1) A telephone meeting with Managers/Senior staff where they would likely apologise and that would be that.

2) A written apology from them.

3) A face to face meeting with Managers/Senior Staff And an apology asked for

4) As above but then they would give me details of who to contact to make a formal complaint, as PALS dont actually deal with that side of it, and I would then go down the official complaint route. She mentioned the Independent Complaints Advocacy or something like that.

She said I could also remain anonymous and they would put my complaint to the hospital, but I cant see the point in that.

So Im unsure what to do. On the one hand, I dont want anyone else to be treated there the same way as I was, and if I kick up the maximum fuss, things there might change? If I dont take it further, its never going to change is it? But on the other hand, I would like them to just acknowledge that they treated me badly , apologise to me, and then put it behind me and concentrate on recovering.

What would you all do?
 
Well, at least they called you back and discussed the issues. I guess my main concerns are that if nothing is said, then this behaviour will just continue. But then my other concern is for you! You need all your energy to recover and get your life back. Would you really be up for a face to face meeting? You could of course schedule this at your own convenience when you are further into your recovery.

I guess if it were me I would demand an apology (be that written, over the phone or face to face) and an explanation of how this appalling treatment was allowed. I would also want the senior management in the hospital to confirm that immediate steps are being taken to correct this situation. But that's me and I am not recovering from THR nor have I just suffered days of abuse at the hands of incompetent staff.

Why don't you just tell PALS that you will be taking this forward but you will contact them when you are further down the line with your recovery? I really don't think you need to be forced into making an immediate decision. Sure they would like to get rid of the issue ASAP. But your health and recovery is more important than their having this over their head for a few months.

Now for the important part - how are you feeling? Wound OK, meds controlling your pain? That should be your focus now.
 
Well said @Jaycey You need all your energy for healing now so I would advise the PALS worker that you will decide on your course of action when you are further on in your recovery and feeling stronger.I really admire how you have coped with all this but now it is time to concentrate on your recovery.Take care of yourself
 
@Kay9, I am SO happy for and proud of you! You made it through that nightmare and are thankfully at home. Please know that I will continue sending you good thoughts and healing vibes. I hope you will continue to update as you can.
Jaycey has given you great advice. I hope now you can focus on taking good care of yourself. May I add that I CANNOT believe that they were/are just going to provide you with a staple remover for you to do that yourself. What a bunch of hacks!

Take care, Kay. I hope you are very comfortable at this very moment and that each day sees you improving. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @DeepBreath I was given a staple remover as well as several dressings on discharge from hospital for use by the district nurse who took my clips out at 2 weeks.
 
@Kim22, ahhh, okay. Well, that makes more sense. I just had visions of them handing over a staple remover from the local office supply store to Kay and saying, "Here, sort it out for yourself!"
I was given dressing supplies as well on discharge, but had sutures and glue, so I wasn't sure how they approached that.
 
@Kay9 as usual, @Jaycey has hit all a available nails square on the head! I believe you should wait till you feel really mentally recovered, find someone to go with you for moral support, and do a face-to-face with written everything. I have done collective bargaining a few times, and everything in writing is safest. Even email, as that comes date stamped! Get s throwaway Gmail account just for this heh heh. Call it something like MadDog at gmail dot com :rotfl:
I am glad you're home. Close your shell over you and rest and heal!!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Thanks for your brilliant advice as always @Jaycey :)

I think I will do as you suggested and tell PALS I will contact them when Im ready to go forward with this, I feel pretty drained and weary at the moment. Thanks for all the help youve given, I wouldn't have known where to start!

Operation wise, Im having a bit of a icky day, my pain doesnt seem very well managed even though Im taking paracetamol and Tramadol to the schedule Josephine advised with my other hip, it worked well then. I seemto always have a good bit of residue pain no matter what. I think Im missing the Gabapentin and odd dose of Oramorph I had. I almost took the Ibuprofin today but Im aware that its not safe to be taken with Paracetamol, I remember the article Josephine posted last time. Ive still got the bad groin pain and front of thigh and the incision is very sore, although it does seem to have almost stopped bleeding, finally :yes!: The area around it is very very swollen and as hard as a rock too. And when I sit down, It feels as if I can feel the ball of the hip, (I know its not though ) but theres like a large very hard area that feels like Im sitting on something?

Im battling with the pillows again at night:bored:...ahhhh I remember it now, its all coming back to me. Pillows here there and everywhere and still not comfortable. I can remember weeks, no months of that from last time:groan:

Im already on top of the constipation issue...Ive discovered the joy of the Glycerine Suppository:whistle: Amazing little things:yes:.

Im moving a lot better now. Not quite a gazelle yet, but Im up to .1 mile an hour:old:

Thankyou @Kim22 , I couldnt have done it without you all being here.

@DeepBreath God forbid they expected me to remove the staples! That wouldve been the final straw:oyvey:. No, its that they send patients home with the remover to take to the GP for them to remove them. And thankyou too for all your support, you have all been damn fine:snork:
 
@zauberflöte , mad dog at gmail dot com ....I like that!:snork:. Thats the type of email address that demands a reply, or we will "send the boys round":arrow:

Thanks for your never ending support to me, youve been there for me since my first hip, and I want you to know its hasnt gone un-noticed. :flwrysmile:
 
I do wish they would discharge with something stronger than Ibuprofin and paracetamol.
That's inhuman after all you've been through.
I will contact them when I'm ready to go forward with this, I feel pretty drained and weary at the moment.
You don't have to do it immediately. You can wait weeks or months if you want to.
the schedule Josephine advised with my other hip, it worked well then
Ah but it didn't work so well for my second knee and I changed it to regimen #2

[Bonesmart.org] Hip number 2 on board


I think Im missing the Gabapentin
Speak with your GP. He's in charge of your care now anyway.
I almost took the Ibuprofin today but Im aware that its not safe to be taken with Paracetamol, I remember the article Josephine posted last time.
That's not what the article said! There's no harm in taking them both together if you want to. The article was advising against taking NSAIDs period!

Tylenol/ibuprofen cocktail
acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
 
@Kay9, you have a fabulous sense of humor! I'm glad it's getting a chance to shine now that you're not being tortured. :tantrum2: Sorry, I'm going to hold a grudge against that place for quite some time.
I'm glad you don't have to take your own staples out. I'm not going to lie, when I read that I felt a bit :sick: I would not be able to do that!
I sure hope you get your meds sorted out soon. I'm very glad to hear your incision is no longer bleeding though. That was terrible!
I'm glad I could be there for you in some small way. This truly is a great forum filled with such wonderful people and information. I am continuing to send out good thoughts and prayers for you as you settle into your recovery.
Take care, hippie buddy. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Kay9 Its such a great feeling to sign on and find your posts and the good news! Welcome home!!
So, you have established your complaint. Maybe just take your time and keep jotting down things that you want addressed, but tell your rep that you need some time to heal and recover before preceding with any face to face situations. I think it's very commendable that you are considering it. I'd love to see that one nasty nurse have to face you across the table. I still get all riled up thinking about it. hugs to you, you did it! thank goodness your incision is beginning to clot and heal up. As point of reference, I never had to change mine, no blood or oozing whatsoever.
Did you hear anything about your blood levels?
It is so shocking just how badly they handled your case and look at you! You stood up to them and you made sure to have some good dressing care before you left! Awesome sauce!! Loved how you said that you would check it yourself....:heehee:

I am still praying for you and that healing light is still wafting around you. You got some great advice from Josephine Re: the meds and I agree that you should call your GP to get something extra for the bad days.

You are home! Safe and sound. Now rest, baby yourself... and heal. :ice:
P.S. I think you are pretty great, you faced down some of the bad guys.
 
@Kay9 re the tennis ball you are sitting on-- I'm pretty sure it's the piriformis muscle angry for a while. I had it big time, and I'd had anterior. Unfortunately, on my right side that had bothered me anyway for many years before OA struck. I had a miraculous recovery of it approximately a year ago where I could FEEL it relaxing. Then we took a very long road trip last May and it was as bad as ever two hours into the drive grrrrrr. But-- the tennis ball effect only lasted a few weeks-- it was more painful than the hip itself :lol:
You are Woman and we've heard you roar, and you're going to roar even louder once you get some recovery behind you and get going (you heard the lady, you can wait months if need be!) with PALS again. I wanna be there, see stuff hit the fan :lol:


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
I wish you all the best for your second recovery and success with the complaints procedure, @Kay9 . I'd agree with all that's been said by @Jaycey and @zauberflöte . Concentrate on recovering and when you'r feeling strong enough go through with option 3. Yes, they should apologize. They may still have mixed up your records. That's exactly why I dedided not to choose a hospital where they treat you like on an assembly line. My husband also pointed out: What if they operate on the wrong leg. I congratulate you for taking the whole nightmare with so much strength and determination. Everything will be allright. I'm pleased with the improvement in your mobility - but I think you can do it because you're fit and slim. That way, you get the benefit of looking after your weight. I like Zauberflöte's suggestion of a separate email address for this kind of thing "maddog at gmail dot com". How are you getting on with your mother, your daughter and your sister? All the best - Constanze
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom