THR Hip number 2 on board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I heard a kaaaabooom, oooer is that you 9ers I hope so. The statement re stairs and want you home tells it all they are following a plan and want the bed. I was kept in 6 days and they wanted to keep me longer. Stand ya ground lass imagine its a shoe shop who have sold you faulty shoes.......

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Still holding you up in prayer and sending you healing energy. Just remember today.. NO MEANS NO.
You can make a fuss and hey they can't be any more indefinite than they are being already.
Hope to hear something positive soon...
 
Yes @Legin you are spot on. They have been told to push me to complete whatever I need to to be discharged on the day they already had written down. a Nurse just told me that in not those words exactly but I know thats what she meant.
Thankyou @Jaycey , I wish you were nearer too. Ive caused some upset here today and now I feel awkward.

First of all this morning, after my shower( which was hard work and painful) I led on my bed, the Nurse came in and said I was due pain relief and she would get me something stronger like Tramadol because I was obviously in pain. She went and a few minutes later Physio came. I told them Id just had a shower and was hurting and was waiting for pain relief. They said ( theres 2 of them, 2 women) they just wanted me to do something simple, not the stairs or anything. I got up and they started me doing standing exercises, but it hurt too much and I stopped and said No I wasnt doing them. One of them said I really wasnt doing myself any favours by not "trying". I got upset, then the nurse came back with the Tramadol and told them off, basically. Apparently she passed the physios as they were on their way to me and she told them to wait until I had had my pain relief before doing physio. They obviously ignored her.

Then another Nurse came in and said Physio had discharged me. It seems to me physio run the flippin hospital! I said I was worried about going home, was in so much pain I didnt even feel I could get dressed and do the trip etc, and that I was worried about my wound, which is still bleeding. She had a look at the dressing, said it needed changing,but that it looked ok to her ,and she would speak to someone about a surgeon taking a look at it before I leave. Anyway to cut a long story short, a nice Nurse told me my surgeon was back in this hospital tomorrow morning. She said I could stay another night and see him. I was really pleased with that. Then the other Nurse came in and said she shouldnt have said that, theres no guarantee I could see my surgeon, but they cant force me to go if I don't feel ready, even though she thinks there is no reason for me to not go home because all the other hip replacement patients in the same time as me have gone. I said I wasnt going until Id seen him. It went down like a lead balloon and I feel awkward now. I know they want me gone.

So Im staying another night in the hope I can see my surgeon. If not him, ANY surgeon. I wouldn't have insisted on staying, if not for you @Jaycey so thank you for your support, it was needed.

Ive upset the Physio, And the Nurse.
Oh and a small thing... since Ive been in here Ive had my vape stick. I do it discreetly and not often. A Doctor saw it and asked me to puff it so he could see how much steam comes out of it, it was only a bit and he said thats fine, as long as I dont get near the fire alarm. Another Nurse picked it up and asked for the website I bought it from. What Im getting at is that people know its here and nobody told me not to use it. The Nurse thats not very happy with me came in just now and said " somebody has just informed me you have one of those vape cigarettes" I said yes, and she proceeded to tell me off, saying they are not allowed and that I must have been told that. I told her about the Doctor saying it was fine etc but she just got madder and said he was wrong, theres not one rule for one and another rule for someone else. She spoke to me like I was a child.
I dont even feel like staying here now, theres an atmosphere and I feel awkward, but Im staying because I know this incision bleeding so much all the time and the pain Im in with it is not normal, and I want it looked at before I go home otherwise Im going to be worrying about it.

Oh and the walker @Jaycey, I asked about that, they said the walker is only for the first initial walking, that they dont let patients use them after that because it encourages the patient to lean heavily on it and not to learn to walk/weight bare properly. They dont use crutches for the same reason, they said. So its sticks only after the first walk.
 
@Kay9 oooooooooooooooo I am FURIOUS at your treatment!! Good for you for standing your ground w physio!! DO NOT WORRY ABOUT WHO YOU MAY BE UPSETTING! :) That was emphasis, not yelling! You are the tax-paying consumer; your taxes pay their salaries. It is not the other way round. So keep on being squeaky and as obnoxious as you need to be-- I have a physician/surgeon brother in law who I watched ream out hospital staff over the treatment our mother in law was getting-- they got very frightened and all CYA-ish, but they shaped up. Shall I send him for you? He's in Berlin
Till tomorrow ;)
I would think that if you passively resisted discharge, and just lay there, and they forced you out on the street, you would have grounds for a malpractice suit or something. That wouldn't be fun, and they might wish to avoid it.
You've been in my prayers even in the middle of the night!! :)



My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Maybe it's time to say, ever so sweetly, that you may need to call an attorney?
My gosh, and now you feel awkward and unwanted. I am so sorry.
Surely there's someone to stay with you today?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
but they cant force me to go if I don't feel ready, even though she thinks there is no reason for me to not go home because all the other hip replacement patients in the same time as me have gone
I am literally in tears. This is SO wrong. You are not just another patient. Your recovery is your own and no nurse has any right to suggest this!
I said I wasnt going until Id seen him. It went down like a lead balloon and I feel awkward now. I know they want me gone.
@Kay9 DO NOT feel awkward. You did exactly what you needed to do. Frankly, letting you go today was darn risky. I am very proud of you! Trying to deal with all this while fighting a battle with staff must be so horrid!
Ive upset the Physio, And the Nurse.
It's against forum rules to write what I am thinking here. Physio is not in charge and neither are the nurses. You should not be going home until (1) your pain is controlled, (2) you can safely mobilise on your own, (3) that incision is checked and the bleeding is controlled. Please keep this little list in your head and don't budge on any of these issues. For your own safety you need all this ticked off the list.
 
Well done @Kay9 That must of been very difficult for you...but you did it!! What they (physios, nurses) think is immaterial...it's you that is the important one in this scenario. Please don't let them frighten you into leaving before your (simple) demands are met. Xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kay9, wow, so sorry to hear about this horrid treatment! You did the right thing to stand your ground and have nothing to feel bad about. I can only imagine how uncomfortable it is there with the staff's mistreatment of you and am so sorry you are having to endure that. You should not leave until you see your surgeon about the incision and get the pain under control. I know it's got to be hard but you need to be your own best advocate. Hang in there!
 
@zauberflöte I had to smile at the image of me laying quietly on the floor outside of the hospital:). I might do that..if I could get down onto the floor lol. Send me your b.i.l from Berlin. Tell him its room 24:thumb:

@CricketHip Ive not had any visitors today, thats my own fault because I do tell people not to visit because I wont be in here long plus Its difficult to get here for a lot of people. I do wish someone had been here today though. In a way, you all have been though.

Thankyou @Rubadub :)

Oh @Jaycey Im so sorry Ive upset you:sad:. Please dont be upset, if it wasnt for you I would have just left the hospital bleeding and in pain! You gave me the push to stand up for myself. Thankyou for being proud of me :yes: im proud of myself in a way. I dont feel comfortable here now but at least Ive spoken out.
Im going to follow the three points youve given me, and will make sure I check them off and not go before theyre checked. Thanks for your support,youve helped me big time. As for the Physios, I actually do think they enjoy hurting people. That might be a bit harsh of me...I guess they are only doing their jobs. Wish they didnt look quite so smug doing it, and so annoyed when I refused though.

@Hoppy Nanny yep it was hard to stand up to "professionals" who supposedly know their jobs, me just a patient with no medical training. They obviously didnt like it. Im led on my bed now typing this, my door is open and the nurse went by and gave me a frosty half smile. Awkward. Hope shes not the one changing my dressing tonight, she might give it a good pull!
 
@Hipster Girl cross posting again. Thankyou for your post. Yep you are right, I do have to be my own best advocate, theres nobody else to do it. I do feel a lot better that Im standing my ground and staying tonight, but its an uncomfortable situation now. Oh well. Tomorrow will soon be here.
 
@Kay9, I hope my previous comment to you did not come across too harsh. It was my indignation at how you're being mistreated that led me to put such vehemence behind my words. I hope you understand.
I am SO proud of you for standing your ground!! :yes!:
I do not like confrontation, especially with 'professional' people. The fact that you did so, while in so much pain and distress, is a signal of how very brave you are. Good for you!
Stick to your guns. As usual, Jaycey is absolutely right. You deserve to have your pain, mobility, and the incision issue squared away before they discharge you.

You truly do have a squad of cheerleaders here who are in there in spirit, so you are not alone.
Keep advocating for yourself, friend. You're doing great! *HUGS*
 
Im so sorry Ive upset you
You did not upset me. The staff at whatever hospital you are in upset me. I have (unfortunately) seen this before and hate it. From what you have posted I take it you are in a private hospital having NHS treatment. The hospital doesn't happen to have a green logo does it? Just curious. In any case, treatment should be the same and you should not be rushed into clearing a bed!
As for the Physios, I actually do think they enjoy hurting people.
Then they should be fired! Their job is to help you get mobile - not try to fit you into their schedule.
yep it was hard to stand up to "professionals" who supposedly know their jobs
These people are not behaving professionally and they obviously should not be in their roles if they can not treat patients as individuals. Tough if they don't want you there - it's not their call!

Sorry if I sound harsh now. I am very passionate about proper patient care be it NHS or private. Your care has not been the least bit professional. Hang tough @Kay9 . It's your recovery and you are not just a number!
 
@Kay9 Jaycey is articulating exactly how I feel-- we are all of us upset at the staff who are giving you low quality care. If all of us were in your room, they'd have to call for crowd control because we are already an angry mob-- probably a good thing we're hundreds and thousands of miles away!!
Keep on standing up for yourself, we are all proud of you, and you should continue to be proud of yourself!!!!!!!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@DeepBreath No not at all, I didnt think you were being harsh. Im thankful that you care enough to get annoyed to be honest.
I hate confrontation. Unless its anything to do with animals being mistreated ( I go NUTS) i dont like arguing with anyone. I dont even ring the bell here unless Im desperate, because I dont want to be a nuisance. So now Im feeling like one BIG nuisance its not very nice. But Im glad I did it. I feel a little more in control.
Thanks for the cheerleading:yay:
 
@Kay9, of course you feel like a 'nuisance' because you are purposely being treated like one. That really burns me up. It might be a 'posh' place, but their care and most of their staff sound like :censored:.
LOL, I so understand about the animal issue. I have to get really riled up to properly advocate for myself, but mistreat an animal, a child, or somebody who is struggling...oh man...STAND BACK!
You're into the evening there right now, correct? At least there's not too long until tomorrow and you'll hopefully see a surgeon. Keep to your guns. You're doing the right thing! :)
 
@Jaycey yes its a private hospital, but now with choose and book or whatever its called, I was able to choose to come here. I was here for my last hip op and as you all know, I loved my surgeon come the end, he was SO good and I healed so fast. I thought Id have a similar experience with the 2nd hip . So wrong.

I dont remember the staff being like this either:unsure: i think they were ok, barr one or two. I dont know why this experience is so different this time. The hospital has a Red logo I think,I cant see anything with the logo on at the moment but Im sure its Red. A red circle. And youve voiced exactly how I feel when you said I shouldnt be rushed into clearing a bed. Thats spot on how I feel.
 
@zauberflöte :heehee: Crowd control, that made me laugh. I wish you could all be here, imagine that!:snork:
Thanks for saying your proud of me, its making me feel supported even though you are all faarrr faaaarrr away! Its comforting to know Ive got people behind me and that Im doing the right thing.:yes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom