THR Hip #2 In situ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye best to lass. Lucky you its been dreek and raw cold. I did try to sort the garden out but everything creaked and groaned so left it. Hope ya feel better soon

Legin THR Sep 14

@Kim22 sounds like you are making all the right choices in your recovery regime!
@Legin I heard those turnips and cabbages groaning all the way across the ocean :lol:

My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!

Chortle

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Hi to you all.I hope that my hipster friends are all doing well.I thought it was time for an update as I am 6 weeks today.I would say that I am making progress now.I am walking well in with a good gait.I still use the cane outside but rarely indoors.I can come downstairs normally but my hip doesn't feel strong enough to go up yet so I still climb them one at a time.I still have muscular aches and pains but I reckon this is to be expected after what they put you through during surgery but it so much better than the arthritis pain.I still try to have a daily walk and this is now 0.6 mile as I am increasing the distance ever so slowly mainly because I have learned from the mistakes I made with hip 1 when I did too much walking too soon.I am so aware that I have reached the danger zone of having less pain and feeling so much better when it is easy to overdo it.So I am reining in my enthusiasm for activity for now hoping that this will pay off and I will avoid tendinitis this time.I have my six week review with my surgeon on Friday and I am hoping that he will relax some of the restrictions.I can't wait to be able to sleep on my side again.

Nice one. Now trust you most have diff going down stairs....... Good luck with appointment

Legin THR Sep 14

Happy Six Week Mark, @Kim22! It sounds like you are doing fabulously. :) I am winging good thoughts your way for your review on Friday. Keep up with the great recovery, friend! :flwrysmile:

Go slow. :tiredwheel:
Wishing you a great post op visit this week. That's odd that you can go down stairs easily rather than up. I've had no problem going up step over step since week 3, but just finally getting better at coming down.

Thank you to you both I will let you know how my appointment goes on Friday.I hope all is well with you @DeepBreath and two weeks tomorrow you will be the proud owner of two brand new hips.I am really hoping that you get a nice room mate this time.I was very lucky with the ladies who were in my six bedder as they were all very pleasant and some were very amusing and we had a few laughs as well as a few tears.I always thought that I would have liked a private room but as the others were so supportive I am not sure now.Imust admit that a private bathroom would be good though.
@Legin I tried to listen in to your radio interview but It wouldn't allow me access via my iPad

@Doodles51 and @Legin I would have to be different but I didn't know that I was.I thought it was because going up involved more flexion of the knee and the knee has been tight from the start although this seems to be improving.I think I will ask @Jaycey for her opinion

Sounds like you are doing well @Kim22.... So pleased for you. Good luck with your appointment on Friday xxx

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Its OK I talked for an hour thought it was twenty mins. Hospital app the morrow pain clinic, oh yes I will HV thirty electric shocks pls

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Update following appointment with OS

Hip is good and consultant pleased with the way I was walking and moving.The advice was to gradually relax the hip restrictions over the next 6 weeks which involves keeping the toilet raisers and higher seats until I am three months but I can lie on either side with a pillow between the legs.I can drive as long as I am confident in my ability to do an emergency stop.One thing he stressed was that I was not to do any exercises but just to walk as that was all hips needed.I am more than happy with that as I found that even doing 5 reps of basic hip exercises made my muscles sore.I asked him if my shallow acetabulum had made the surgery more difficult and he said no but he had taken great care with the positioning of the implant to avoid psoas tendinitis.One bit of advice which may be of interest as I know over the years it has led to a lot of discussion was regarding dental treatment.He said that I should avoid any dental treatment including scaling and polishing until my implant has been in a year to avoid infection traveling from the mouth to the hip which over the first year has an increased blood supply and in theory more susceptible to infection.He also said that if I needed emergency dental work it should be done under antibiotics.He told me that the dentist would disagree but he is convinced that antibiotics were necessary.I remember having this discussion with my dentist sometime after my first hip and he told me that antibiotics were no longer recommended.It only goes to show how advice can change.So onwards and upwards and I hope all my friends on Bonesmart are doing well.

I thought it was because going up involved more flexion of the knee and the knee has been tight from the start although this seems to be improving.
Sounds like muscles are still weak. Depending on how long you limped around pre-op, muscles can atrophy quite quickly. Just keep the slow pace. I predict one day you will suddenly find yourself going upstairs normally.

@Kim22, so glad you had what sounds to be a great visit with your OS. Onward and upward indeed!

Just popping ma head in and a wee hiya wave. You seem to be doing well lass. Good on ya

Legin THR Sep 14

Hi @Legin thank you for popping in on my thread it is nice to hear from you.I am doing ok thanks for asking, still taking things slow and steady by walking a bit more and using my stick a bit less.I haven't started any exercises as directed by the man himself but hope to start pool work in the new year.So as you see not much to report.One good thing is that so far I have avoided injury for which I am very grateful as by this time in my last recovery I was dealing with a groin strain injury on top of recovering from the surgery.How are you doing now ?

@

@Kim22, I'm so glad to hear that you're doing well and are not dealing with the groin strain issue. It sounds like you are doing beautifully.
I hope you are enjoying a wonderful Holiday season and that the New Year finds you able to do your pool work and getting even stronger. :flwrysmile:

Hi Kim22 I think we have our first replacements relatively close. I have mine Jan 2013. Preparing for the second replacement in Jan 2016. Glad to hear you are doing so well.

Hi @nanal Welcome back I remember you from the class of 2013 you were a few weeks ahead of me.I see that you are going in for the second time in January and I wish you all the very best.I am doing great now but I haven't rushed things at all this time.How are your preparations going ?

Hi @Kim22
Just popped into see how you are getting along.....great to hear that you have taken it slowly this this time around & are reaping the rewards. Hope the pool work gets going in 2016 & you get some benefit from it.

My hip is just amazing....I rarely think about it now & it's got better & better....now if the rest of my body would cooperate!!
Do hope you have a great Christmas & a pain free 2016...much love Chrissie xxx

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics