THR Hip #2 In situ

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hoppy Nanny Hi Chrissie thank you for your lovely message and I can't tell you how delighted I am that your hip is so good and you don't even think about it anymore I just long to be at that point in my recovery I am 12 weeks today and I have taken my recovery very slowly but this hasn't been easy as I long to be active again and our weather has been atrocious lately which makes walking difficult We have had so much rain and last weekend we had snow on the ground for 3 days but thankfully that has gone now.I am looking forward to getting in the pool after Christmas.I am walking better but generally still need the cane for anything other than very short walks.I did try without it when I was more or less pain free but it was a mistake as I experienced some leg pain later that evening I can walk up and downstairs normally and my ROM has really come on over the past week I am almost able to put my sock on the left foot.I can easily do the right side but still need the aid to get it on the front of my left one.I am experiencing muscle pains and still need a bit of a lie down to rest the muscles most days but I find this very effective.Of course I have overdone things like Christmas shopping but try to rest up afterwards.I hope you have a very happy Christmas and wishing you all the very best for the new year.I hope your other joints behave themselves and take a lesson from your wonderful hip.
 
@Josephine Hi I hope you are well and over your recent cold.I read on someone else's thread that although you don't recommend exercises for hips you do recommend stretches I was wondering which stretches are safe and effective ? I am now 3 months into recovery and so far I have only done short walks
 
@Kim22 I found gentle hamstring stretches from a sitting position really helped after both THRs. In fact, I did not have piriformis issues post RTHR and I think part of the reason was the gentle stretches. Here's a thread about hamstring stretches from our Library.
 
Hi all I haven't updated my thread since before Christmas and now it is after Easter ! Where did all all that time go ? Anyway it is 6 months since I had the left hip replaced and 3 years for the right one and I am pleased to say that at last after 5 years of hip problems I am doing well.I am relishing in being so active and being able to participate in family activities instead of sitting on the sidelines as a spectator I spent Easter weekend with my family and was able to join in the fun playing with my two small grandsons.We visited indoor and outdoor play areas and took them swimming.I had a lovely walk in the spring sunshine with my husband this morning and It was wonderful not having to stop to rest due to hip pain.I am hoping to get back to Pilates on the 11th April.I still get muscle aches from time to time after a lot of activity but I would describe it as minor discomfort and it doesn't last long.I did have achy knees too but they have improved since I started doing strengthening exercises for the quads and the glutes.I am so grateful for this surgery which has given me my life back and to all who supported me on this site before and after my two hip replacements I hope you are all doing well and enjoying your new hips.
 
What a pleasant surprise to hear from you, after all this time. I am truly happy for you that you are now enjoying life again. Best wishes for continued improvement!
 
Yay! Glad to hear your good news @Kim22. So lovely that you have progressed so far & are doing so much more with your new hips.
Those muscle aches too will go in time.
I've just started Tai Chi which I have found very good for strengthening my muscles (and not too energetic) relieves stress too!!
Hope things continue to go well... Love Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny @Doodles51 Great to hear from you both.I am so thrilled to be walking without pain again at last and to be able to do so many activities that most people take for granted.I returned to Pilates this morning and all seems well this evening.I was concerned that I would pay for it with pain but so far so good.We are off to sunny ( hopefully ) Spain on Thursday and I am really looking forward to our trip to Granada which will be my first city break with two good hips.We visited Pisa last year whilst on a cruise and it was no fun limping about with a stick in pain.Just to let you know Chrissie that I returned to Slimming World in January and I have lost 12 lb and back to my target weight.I am hoping that with a little less weight to cart about my ceramic hips will last for 25 years.I hope you are both doing well and I agree with @DeepBreath an update on your progress @Doodles51 would be brilliant.
 
Well done on your weight loss @Kim22 I need to follow your example as I've let 7lbs creep back on!!!

Glad you are back at Pilates with no pain.... Amazing. I'm well jealous of your journey to Granada.... We went a few years back & loved it.....are you visiting The Alhambra Palace... Hope so... It's stunning!
Lovely to hear you are back up & enjoying those lovely new hips.

My hip is fabulous..... & I decided to stop taking statins & since then a lot of my aches & pains have gone & im sleeping like a baby!!!!

Take care .... Love Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny Hi Chrissie we are still in Spain on the Costa Calida chilling in the sun which is lovely but I have seen so many pictures on Facebook of snow and sleet back home that I am dreading returning home on Thursday.We spent the weekend in Granada which was fantastic.What a great place with a lively atmosphere full of people of all ages having fun in the sun.We did visit the Alambra and it was totally stunning and worth the walk up the very steep incline to get there ( even more steep than Durham cathedral ) I am thrilled to report that my hip(s) were brilliant and I can't begin to tell you how wonderful it felt to be able to enjoy my new level of activity without a walking stick, limp or pain.Thanks for your encouragement regarding the weight loss but alas feel that I have enjoyed too much paella, wine and tapas over this holiday and I will be back to square one when I get home ! I am so glad that your hip is so good and that you have come off the statins I have read a few articles regarding the negative effects of statins so coming off them seems like a good plan.
 
Enjoy the rest of your holiday Kim....we have even had a little snow today ! Only 4 degrees tonight...hopefully it will be better for your return. Glad you made it up to the Alhambra ..lforgot about those steep steps! It was before my hip gave out so never gave it a thought then. So glad your hips are behaving too. Love Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
A very Happy New Year to all my fellow Bonesmarties.It's been some time since I visited this site, it has been 15 months since I had my left hip replaced and getting on for 4 years for the right one.I am doing well and I'm so happy with the results as I have my life back.I am walking, swimming and have booked up for a physio led Pilates class starting on Monday.The joy I feel of being able to play with my two small grandsons is immense and how great was it to be able to do the Christmas shopping without having to stop to sit at regular intervals.We went to the wedding of my God daughter in December and I was up dancing for most of the night with everyone else which I loved.I hope to get back on my bike in the spring which will be the first time in five years.So life is good and I am very grateful to my surgeon and my two new hips.I still had a few lingering muscle aches but these are not holding me back and let's face it how many 60 year old don't ? I believe in keeping moving and daily stretching.I hope all of you are doing well in your various stages of recovery and remember this process is a marathon not a sprint.
 
@Kim22 so lovely to hear from you! Sounds like those hips are doing well. Long may this continue! Thanks for keeping in touch!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom