THR Hike’s Recovery

That the OS will even ask about PT in a way that you'll need to fudge the response or that OS will ever find out whether you did all exercises/reps.
 
I hope that your anxiety soon dissipates, it’s a horrid thing. I really wouldn’t worry too much about PT I stopped doing the exercises they tell you to do at home within a couple of days as the straight leg lifts caused groin pains and just focused on my walking and gait. I attended a couple of group PT sessions at the hospital which was where I got the ok to use and exercise bike. My OS didn’t even know they’d signed me off after those 2 sessions. So I wouldn’t worry about yours saying anything.
 
I find it crazy to do 30 reps of each - there’s 9 exercises in addition to walking. NINE. So, I told him I will do my best but I refuse to go all hard core when I’m only day 6 post-op. He’s probably going to tell on me. Whatever. :heehee:
Good for you! Is crazy and bet PT hasn't had hip replacement.
You know what is good for you.
Hope tomorrow is a good day.
 
One week hippiversary. Last week around this time I was either talking with surgeon or anesthesiologist.

Had a better night. Had major issues falling asleep - would start to doze and all of a sudden I’d be wide awake. After 1.5 hours of this I took an oxy. Not the best plan but I need sleep. However, the awful anxious feeling didn’t crash down upon me. I consider this progress. Thank you again @Jaycey I would not have immediately looked at meds as the culprit.

Wonder when I can stop sleeping on my back. I’ll ask PT tomorrow.

Friend popping in later (we’ve got snow this AM) to say hi and bring up some flower arrangements I got yesterday. Can’t get them upstairs to my room by myself. Son tentatively coming over to cook dinner later. Other than that I’m planning to exercise some, cruise around on my cane, and plan a menu for next week. I’d like to start cooking again and I think by next week I’ll be able to stand for a longer period of time.

Onward....
 
Hello @hikejunkie. Hope all is going well still? I re-read your post about spinal with sedation, as I saw my OS yesterday and he said that's what he proposes for me - up until now I'd assumed he only did general anaesthesia, as a former patient of his told me he didn't like the chance of anybody moving. I think the spinal sounds the better option for pain relief after surgery and for less nausea, etc., but I had that passing thought about being conscious of what was going on, so was relieved to read that you weren't!
 
@Cassidy - other than this sleep issue, all is going well. Thank you for asking! :) I’m taking Tylenol only for pain and icing. I’m noticing a bit more stiffness when I wake up but that’s normal.

I had the same thoughts as you with my first replacement regarding waking which was my first experience with spinal and sedation. I knew nothing after my hug. What’s cool is you wake up more alert. I had no nausea. I was chatting with the nurse and my daughter. Best part: no pain. :yes!:

This time again I knew nothing after getting my hug. I’ve read about awakenings but I really think that’s very rare. I was joking with anesthesia guy and told him as long as I get my hug and don’t wake up, all good. He felt the need to explain “awake” to me and perhaps this will help you. He said we think of awake as, well, awake - alert like you or I are now. He considers awake a slight movement or twitch. We are not even close to cognizance. So, in essence if we did “wake” we’re not “awake”.

Ask for a hugger. :)
 
Hello @hikejunkie. Sorry to hear about the anxiety. It might be partly circumstantial, as I began to get very anxious when I had my long stint in hospital around 12 years ago - and it hit me again when I first got home, because I think in my mind I'd associated coming home as being back to normal, which of course takes time. It didn't last too long though. I had sleeping pills for a week or so, because I had feelings of dread just as I was supposed to drop off to sleep, so didn't - but, again, this passed. So hopefully you'll soon be over that horrible phase. Thanks for the info about the spinal anaesthetic. I thought it sounded a good idea until I read somebody's thread that said they'd been aware of the drilling and sawing - which didn't fill me with good thoughts!!
 
Hi @hikejunkie happy oneweekiversary! You are doing so well that I forgot it’s only been a week for you. Happy to hear that the anxiety wasn’t as bad!
 
Love the hug thing, very cool @hikejunkie
Whoever thought of that idea must be a comforting gentle soul.
Glad your anxiety seems to be lessening.
I hope the rest of your week is peaceful.
 
Hello @hikejunkie. Hope all is going well still? I re-read your post about spinal with sedation, as I saw my OS yesterday and he said that's what he proposes for me - up until now I'd assumed he only did general anaesthesia, as a former patient of his told me he didn't like the chance of anybody moving. I think the spinal sounds the better option for pain relief after surgery and for less nausea, etc., but I had that passing thought about being conscious of what was going on, so was relieved to read that you weren't!

I had spinal with my LHR the same day-3/6. I’m so glad I chose it! Sedation was just fine—never heard or felt a thing!
 
Thank you all for checking in with me! Apologies for not expressing my appreciation sooner. I’ve had a bit of a setback and with my introverted nature I tend to go off the grid, so to speak, until I figure things out. Had a major sobfest yesterday - on and off all day over one subject (new pain) or another (insert everything else here). :bawl:

First, good news. I’m having no more anxiety nor any issues falling asleep since I got off the Celebrex. However, I wake up a lot during the night. I think that’s pretty normal for a stomach/side sleeper forced to sleeping on back.

Now, bad news. PT was here yesterday. Everything I’ve been doing is all gentle movement but there were two yesterday that caused problems quite quickly. Both standing exercises - one you bring operated leg to the side and the other towards the back. I got about 3 reps in on side, stopped. Got 2 reps to the back, stopped. Quite painful. PT didn’t push but advised many have issues with these exercises. I wanted to yell and cuss while asking “if people have problems with these, then why are they doing them?!” :hissy:

My pain level up until yesterday was 0-1. Pretty amazing considering my time post-op and only taking Tylenol. I’ve joked surgeon sprinkled fairy dust in my implant. I’m at that level not moving but now have pain 3-5 sitting on toilet, getting into bed, occasionally towards end of walking - right in my butt cheek. And the entire leg feels lit up. :sad: I expect aches and pains but am just not dealing with this well.

I’m not sure when the blues set in but this setback seems to have bloomed into a full blown disaster of epic proportions with no way to fix it. And for some reason I’m blaming myself. I’m aware I’m overreacting and it just seems like perhaps this is just where I need to be until it passes. Prior to yesterday I had been cruising around on my cane, looking forward to start cooking again this weekend and was in a good place - then bam. :climb:

I’m due for check in with surgeon’s PA today re Celebrex/anxiety issue so will discuss discontinuing PT at least until I see surgeon on Wednesday next week. Also want to see if I can take anti-inflammatory other then Celebrex. For now I’m reclining in bed with two ice packs drinking coffee. :bored:

Onward...
 
Sorry you are having a setback @hikejunkie. Those do seem to happen on the twisted recovery road. I think talking to pa about it all is a good idea. I believe the side and back exercises are for abductors (@SaraK would probably know for sure with her pt experience). They still bother me, so I am not doing many of them, just try them out to check for any improvement, an I am slowly able to increase them.

Ice packs and coffee is the way my day starts! Hope you get some answers today.
 
Thank you @MammaT - I’ll think of you during my early morning coffee and icing. :) I’ve got my answer from surgeon so will take some deep breaths and move on from here.
 
Hi @hikejunkie
I'm sorry to hear you were struggling yesterday, both physically and emotionally.
I hope you're feeling better this morning.
It's good to hear your anxiety has eased since you stopped the Celebrex. I'll bet the frequent waking could be due to switching positions since you're uncomfortable on your back.

It's wise you stopped the exercises that were uncomfortable. I think it's easy for people to feel PT
knows best. Giving PT a break until you see your surgeon next week is a good decision, especially since your pain has increased.

The Post Op Blues do come out of nowhere. So sorry you're struggling :console2:
Here's a refresher-
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

I hope today feels brighter than yesterday.
Hugs
 
@hikejunkie - it seems a little early for those sorts of exercises - my PT was just doing passive stretching and "gravity based" exercises at this point (letting leg drop without activating the abductor muscles. The good news is that, when I tried something that ended up being problematic, the pain usually went away in a day or two. You didn't do much of the problematic exercises so you probably didn't inflame things too badly. Caveat, though, if you felt a significant sharp pain, you might want to get it checked out if it doesn't improve in a day or so. I had a partial tear in a glute muscle due to a mishap at the doctor's office and ended up needing to give the muscle complete rest for several weeks.
 
I used Hydro instead of Oxy, didn't have any anxiety but wasn't taking anything else with them. My PT to start was 11 exercises 3x per day and I could feel my leg gain strength every day. I am not a back sleeper so I woke often during the night. At about 2 weeks I started sleeping on my side with the pillow between my legs and slept much better. I can now sleep on both sides but the operated side gets a little sore sometimes. Instead of standing and spreading my leg I do it lying down. Did some research and the lying down is better to start with.
 
@hikejunkie sending you lots of hugs! :console2:The blues can strike when you least expect them. Cry when you need to. Could the blues have anything to do with coming off of the meds? There are always little setbacks on this journey, but it will get better. I think you're doing the right thing backing off on those exercises. You can always go back to them later. I had a hard time with those ones as well and still don't do them very often. Walking is still the best! Hope you're having a better day. :friends:
 
I am sorry all of this is getting to you. I hate it for you. Week to ten days sounds like the optimum time for all to go a little buggy worth emotions.
Hope today is a Good Day.:console2:
 
Back
Top Bottom