Lounge Doctor

THR Hi! Post THR recovery

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@JohnWilky Good to see you sounding a bit more positive. Yes, the early weeks of this recovery can really drag! I too found week 6 a turning point.

Let us know how your follow up appointment goes.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
You sound very upbeat and it seems you’re making good progress, JW. I hope your sleep regulates soon. Good luck with your 6 week post op appointment on Friday. Please let us hear the good news afterward.
Have a great week!
@JohnWilky

OP
OP
JohnWilky

JohnWilky

Country
It wouldn’t be Weds if I didn’t have another question , I know please be gentle.What questions would Hippys recommend I put to my surgeon on Friday ? I realise that anything will be me or my case ,but any tips.
One for the forum I am flying on one crutch atm but still struggling with dead leg wobble stumpy walk without crutch or support, is this normal.

As yesterday was speaking to an older chap yesterday who said after 6 weeks ( that’s me now. ) he was driving , swimming, entering marathons,tour de France (ok but) post his replacement. I hear you say why don’t you wait two days and ask Surgeon, but just wondering what the expert bonesmarties were at 6 week.

Apologies if I’ve repeated myself again and again and again etc

Have a good day everyone

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
I am flying on one crutch atm but still struggling
Keep using the crutch as long as you are still struggling. If you transition too quickly you run the risk of developing a chronic limp.
after 6 weeks ( that’s me now. ) he was driving , swimming, entering marathons,tour de France (ok but) post his replacement.
Sorry but this is :censored:! Everyone reaches different milestones by 6 weeks. Yes, maybe your friend was swimming and driving. I drove at 6 weeks post LTHR and at 4 weeks post RTHR. I am sure your surgeon will release you to drive on Friday. And if your wound is totally healed they will probably release you to swim. We do have members who run (and do marathons), but you might want to wait awhile to face that challenge.

helenium

Country
Any questions you have, be sure to write them down JW. I always think I'll remember everything, but I've learned to go in clutching my list. My surgeon takes it from me and goes through it item by item, ticking as he goes! I'm sure you'll want to know when you can sleep on either side without fear of harming your new hip. Good luck!

OP
OP
JohnWilky

JohnWilky

Country
Report from 7 week check up.....I did as advised went armed with all my questions written down, wonderful surgeon praised my preparation and remarked that she hoped every patient was as prepared.

All good news encourage me to walk as much as possible, guided by any pain I the hip area, noted.
Explained that almost everyone had sleep problems lying on back, and said that now I can sleep on either side with pillow between my legs. She said that sleeping on new hip side may feel weird at first and sleeping on non op side maybe preferable.
Continue with any limited exercises I do especially gently stretching the psoas major
(listen me now the expert)
Can continue with any PT if I think necessary, but let your body tell you. I won’t be.
So she was overall very pleased with my scar and explained that any puffiness or swelling will be normal for quite a while, which I control with icing.
Discharged and won’t be seeing her again, brilliant attitude, and has given me much more confidence.
Of course I mentioned Bonesmart and she was pleasantly encouraging about following about the superb advice and encouragement I receive through our brilliant forum.
So in euphoric mood, hopefully tonight’s the night sleep wise and I’m on my way to full recovery.
Cheers everyone, May even down a celebratory pint later!
Good luck to all and speedy recoveries.

N.B any articles, experience or advice on sleeping on the side will be much appreciated.

Last edited:

helenium

Country
What a great post op report JW.
Would be grateful to hear what gentle exercise you do for stretching the psoas (yes, you sound like an expert now!).
Hope you get a good night's sleep after enjoying your celebratory pint. Well deserved!
:cheers:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
What a wonderful update! It is so encouraging to receive reassurance from your surgeon that you’re progressing as you should be. You’re right, it is kind of a natural high leaving your appointment with a nod from your OS.
Of course I mentioned Bonesmart and she was pleasantly encouraging about following about the superb advice and encouragement I receive through our brilliant forum.
I love this quote and we thank you for mentioning BoneSmart. Even more so I love your use of the word “our” forum, as it is ours collectively and it’s wonderful to read you expressing that.
Cheers to you JW :cheers: for all your patience and perseverance as you move through early recovery. I hope you have a lovely weekend!
@JohnWilky

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@JohnWilky Great report - glad your followup was good!

Just keep trying the side sleeping. It's tough at first. You might only spend 20 minutes on your side and then wake up to switch to back sleeping. Be patient - it will come. Always put that pillow between your legs.

Hope you enjoyed that pint!

Teresa17

Country
@JohnWilky Congratulations on your discharge!! What a great feeling you must have knowing you’re that much closer to resuming a “normal” life.

I’ve been sleeping on my non-operative side for several weeks. Only issue is I think I rotate my hips while asleep and sometimes wake up w a backache. I use a pillow and make sure my hips are aligned when I fall asleep but I think I rotate through the night. But I also have back issues.

I tried sleeping on my operated side the other night. It didn’t hurt but my leg had a weird feeling- kinda like it was asleep or heavy. It’s hard to explain. It didn’t hurt, but my leg had an uncomfortable feeling. I lasted about 10 minutes before I rolled over. Maybe try rolling over slowly to test the pain level and then take it from there. Good luck!

Kiwihipster

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Oh you’re going to sleep so much better now you’ve got the ok to side sleep! I was never given a restriction re sleeping on my non-op side but didn’t get the courage to try until about 10 days post op, and it was amazing. At 5 weeks now, I sleep about 90 minutes at the beginning of the night, then wake up to roll to my back for a few hours, then finish off with another side sleep. It’s my op side that I prefer to sleep on though so I’m hoping I get the all clear in about 7 days at my 6 week appointment.

I just use one generously bouncy pillow and keep my knees bent, then I roll in a smooth motion and don’t wriggle around once I’m on my side. If you don’t like your alignment once you’re on your side then roll back and start again. I keep my feet aligned on top of each other (so my body is not rolled either slightly forward or back). I am pretty short so one pillow is enough to support my feet at the same time, you might need two pillows, or one pillow and then a cushion between your ankles. Enjoy a much better sleep! And thanks for your detailed updates :)

OP
OP
JohnWilky

JohnWilky

Country
Wow thanks everybody for the brilliant responses to my last post, you can tell I’m getting better in the tardiness of my reply in that I haven't been mithering everyone on the day and night.

Sunday had a lovely day 2 hr walking with Mistress Wilky and friend in some beautiful countryside, chatting away to everyone who cared to listen to us, hey guess what I’m not the only person to have a new hip!!! Or have trouble sleeping!

Easily managed route before watching Manchester Utd (and they won) at sons house before Caroline and I having lovely Indian curry take away, even my appetite is coming back. All this before tackling the dreaded sleep, I have to agree with previous posts, although my last 3 nights I have slept in snatches, it’s not a breeze and takes some getting used too (side sleeping) there is a lot of fidgeting and pillow movement, Mistress W has upped and shifted to another bedroom can’t blame her, she’ ll be back!! Early to bed coz we are up at 6 this morrow to drive to daughters to care for our 3 young granddaughters
(luckily 2 are school now)

That’s the interesting bit over, started / done a little fitness regime I’ve concocted, incorporating my limited excersises and crutch aided shuttles to get my lungs working again. But as advised by hippys slowly and gently

Psoas stretch is op leg resting at right angles on chair (tricky at first) and gentle fwd stretch of thigh ensuring your back is upright and straight, gently gently.

7 weeks today and off all meds, icing is sufficient.

I wish everyone a great day and a speedy recovery. Thanks all.

p.s did get to go for celebratory pint, was brilliant to speak to and see all to all the regulars of course not an ounce of sympathy and exactly how it should be.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
You’re funny, JW! I’m guessing many are entertained by your updates.
Your progress is great.You’re taking the slow measured approach and it’s working well for you. I hope the restless nights soon ease and you get some solid restorative sleep. For now, catch some Z’s when you’re able.
Best wishes for a wonderful week. Happy Seven Week Anniversary! :yay:
@JohnWilky

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
Glad to hear you had a chance to have a pint with the lads, it's the little things that let us know life is returning to normal.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave: @JohnWilky
Good to catch up on your thread and see how well you are doing.:happydance:
The sleep part was the last piece of my refinery puzzle to fall into place and I'm sure it didn't help that my sleep cycle was horrid for so long prior to my hip replacements. :bored:
Keep the Faith, you will get there.
Easy does it stretches can be helpful.
I just had to remind myself often -
Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing... If a long full step right now is causing pain and limping, don't take long full steps. Take smaller steps. Take a short walk several times a day, instead of longer walks.

This isn't the time to do anything to excess. Baby steps now, and lots of patience, pays off big time later. Consider yourself as still recovering from surgery and structure your return to your life as a slow, gradual process where you introduce very small increments in activity, and then give yourself time to see how you react to it.
All temporary, and worth the patience. I am certainly glad I am able to get back to a full happy life.

Teresa17

Country
@JohnWilky Wow! I’m really impressed you went on a 2 hour walk! Something for me to look forward to! How long have you been off meds? I’m at 4 weeks and still taking Tramadol at night and ibuprofen in the morning. . Not necessarily because I need it, more preventative.

@Mojo333
. If a long full step right now is causing pain and limping, don't take long full steps. Take smaller steps.
I appreciated reading this. Went to the store yesterday and it hurts walking from the parking lot. I’ve been working on my step length and it hurts. I’m going to back off for now.

OP
OP
JohnWilky

JohnWilky

Country
Been off paracetamol now for 2 weeks or more ( 71/2 week today) and feeling no pain apart from, now let me explain, on lifting my op leg up at the front Psoas very, very tight (too tight really ) but I get a pain in the right side of my thigh just above left knee, basically on the fwd inner thigh area as you look down to left knee. (hope that’s not too complicated)

Described on a diagram as Semimembranosus, in all my days never had an ache or pain in this area. Strange, but I accept the magnitude of the procedure is going to create little niggles, so not too worried.

Finally on Wilky weekly whinge, not making any progress without sole crutch far too limpy yet on gammy leg, but slowly slowly.

good luck all

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @JohnWilky
At not even two full months post op, you have a lot of time to still lose pain and make progress. This recovery can last a full year and even longer for some. I’m not sure if you’re practicing heel-toe walking, but if not...here’s a tip.

Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
1619184824963.jpeg

Have a great weekend! :wave:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Countrybumpkin
Recent bookmarks