THR Hi! Post THR recovery

Latest…….still not sourced a masseur , don’t think that’s gunna happen soon , although I have agreed to a reference back at the hospitals orthopedics.
No football lately , jarring causing lower back ache pain post / day after still niggly aches on daily basis ,but not hindered in gym and generally feel lot better afterwards although day after have an ache,I am 70 with early shaky shaky maybe it’s something to do with the Parkys.
I will post result of any x Ray I have ,but that could be a while.
Meantime good luck everyone
 
Hi JW,
It is nice to hear from you. I am sorry football causes your lower back to ache and that you're still bothered by daily discomfort. Thankfully you're able to tolerate the gym and find it beneficial. I do think the Parkinson's could be contributing to some of your symptoms, but that's just an assumption. Your physician should be able to offer an educated opinion on that. I'm happy that you're seeking advice through the hospitals orthopedics. I wish you only the best. Please stay in touch and let us know what your hear.
@JohnWilky
 
Hello everyone, yes I’m still alive (oh no I hear some) writing whilst awaiting x ray on new ( 2 1/2 years) hip & still having achey problems. Just seen surgeon & he gave me a though examination & suspects Bursitis, but having an x ray to be sure. I m also thinking my Parkinson’s maybe taking an effect. Still doing gym regularly and a bit of football (soccer) can’t run though just bark out orders!
Can’t really walk any distance without discomfort but exercising pain free is confusing, uncomfortable in bed, but Parky’s didn’t help. I will confirm surgeons pre x-ray suspicions, otherwise Parky’s is a ball acher and slowly getting worse unfortunately, but hey brown stuff happens!!!
Best wishes everyone, reading up on bursitis again now.
 
@JohnWilky Good to see you but sorry it's all about pain. Bursitis can be a bear - but it is treatable. Very common after THR - especially for more active members. Here's an article from our Library Trochanteric bursitis with THR.

Has your surgeon mentioned an injection? Please keep us updated!
 
All intact, looks good fitting. Surgeon did suggest injection which I declined (don’t want anymore ‘surgical’ treatment) see how exercise goes, he’s recommended stretching!
Something tells me it’s not a science, we will see.
 
he’s recommended stretching!
Since bursitis can be caused by excess exercise be sure and keep things gentle. It can take awhile to calm down. Some people have very good results with the injection. But I do understand your hesitation.
 
FWIW I strained myself back in Jan. and had x-rays and all was good. Muscles got better but then stalled and still had nagging pain every day. I was going to the gym and it was OK but it hurt walking and I would limp at times. I'd turned down the injection in Jan but decided it would be worth a try so I went for it. No big deal just a deep shot and for 2 days I was pain free. Then after some pain came back but it has slowly disappeared. Hoping it is promoting healing and the pain stays gone.
 
Happy Christmas ( belated will do for next year ) and Happy New year to all hipsters pre or post BS moderators a very happy and pain free New Year.
Still exercising regularly but nowhere near pain free but struggle on , bad news for my 39 year old son who has had a poor examination x ray showing severe wear and tear in both hips explaining his suffers post exercise .
I will encourage him to post for recommendations going forward , far too young for surgery & for a sporting fanatic a poor diagnosis.
Happy New Year all , stay fit !
 
@JohnWilky Please encourage your son to get in to see an orthopedic surgeon who treats lots of younger people! He is definitely NOT too young for hip replacements. And if both hips are really bad - if surgeon agrees - a bilateral replacement (both at the same time) will get him back to enjoying life faster. We have seen people as young as teenagers getting new hips here and most return to physically demanding jobs and athletic activities! He does not need to be in constant pain!
 
Hello John Wilky and Happy New year to you!
It is nice to hear from you. I am sorry your son is dealing with the pain of deteriorating hips.
Like those that responded before me, I agree that by todays standards your son is not too young for THR.
We've had members younger than 39 that have experienced THR, one being on our staff. Please encourage him to come and read here. Best Wishes to both of you. We're here for support if you're ever in need.
@JohnWilky
 
Sorry for boring everyone fwiw here now I can / say admit I have finally succumbed to trochanter bursa aggravation.

Save looking back in this thread I have tried to play / train / exercise through the condition only to finally admit I'm not superman, and protect the area from as much as I can and rest it for a month or so.

I want to continue cardio type exercising, but crucially without aggravation.
I'm really asking for suggestions of cardio exercise without moving the area.

Otherwise coming up to 3 years (March 1) with new left hip and considering I gym most days and play football at weekend I'm satisfied that it’s worked.

So good luck to all especially those just about to have surgery, it was worth it for me.
 
@JohnWilky What activities aggravate your bursitis? Does walking both it? Nordic walking is a great cardio workout but can also be done at a slower pace - building up to more active levels.
 
Sorry for boring everyone fwiw here now I can / say admit I have finally succumbed to trochanter bursa aggravation.

Save looking back in this thread I have tried to play / train / exercise through the condition only to finally admit I,m not superman , and protect the area from as much as I can ,and rest it for a month or so.

I want to continue cardio type exercising but crucially without aggravation.
I.m really asking for suggestions of cardio exercise without moving the area

Otherwise coming up to 3 years (March 1) with new left hip and considering I gym most days and play football at weekend I,m satisfied that it’s worked.

So good luck to all especially those just about to have surgery , it was worth it for me.
Hey there! Sorry to hear of the set back! THere are a number of things depending on just how much mobility or lack thereof you have? It is harder, but some upper body work can get the old heart pumping pretty good.
 
@JohnWilky do you have access to a pool? If so you could either sign up for a water aerobics or water Zumba class. The water makes it easier to move, stretch, etc. Just have to watch you don't overdo as its really easy since you don't feel pain while in the water.

You can also try regular swimming, water walking, stretching, etc. I know at the gym I used to go to they had handheld weights of sorts that were made somewhat like the material of pool noodles. It really surprised me how difficult it could be to pull these up if you had them down at your sides under water. Good luck, hope you find something that works for you.
 
Hi John Wilky :wave: It's always nice to hear from you.
I thought of you the other evening as I watched a documentary on David Beckham and realized what we call soccer here in the states is referred to as football across the pond. I always envisioned you playing football, but am now wondering if it is soccer you play?
I am sorry to read about the trochanteric bursitis. I do hope you find some exercise you can comfortably engage in and with time and rest it eases for you. Stay in touch and let us know how you're getting on. Going on THREE years already since your TKR, unbelievable...where does time go?!!
@JohnWilky
 
Be sure to alternate with ice/heat, I have bursitis off and on in both hips (only one replacement), and it helps.
I'll be two years post op in couple of weeks and majority of time I'm 100 percent but bursitis seems to kick in here & there. Plus this cold damp weather we are having (no sun for 11 days) doesn't help.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom