THR Hi! Post THR recovery

Thank you folks for that super ,intelligent advice all of which ( as you all guess) I won’t take a blind bit of notice !!! I have rested from playing football ( soccer) this last couple week & that has , rather unsurprisingly relieved the injury a little, so I may leave it another couple of week ( if their one short; you know I,m right in there)

Many thanks much appreciated , don’t hesitate in asking advice on what not to do !


Good luck all.
 
Rest now, play later. It sounds like your "time out" is bringing relief.
Hopefully it all eases soon and you're able to slowly get back into the game. Good Luck, JW!
@JohnWilky
 
Hello , happy Easter all moaning old hipsters hope that your new bits are working as expected.

Enough about you lot , more about moi.
Three years on from my ( have I mentioned that before) new left hip )

My latest update , still suffering hip Bursa and tronchantric band / muscle aches , but able to visit gym several times / week & resumed playing footy.

New toy is a thermo gun , anyone got one , finding that it gives moderate immediate relief , but unsure if i’m using it correctly and how many / when I should play with it ? Any thoughts.

Good luck everyone, stay well .
 
Enough about you lot , more about moi.
You make my day, you funny guy! :heehee:
I've never used a theragun, but I'm guessing you'll receive some feedback here.
Just saw your name pop up and wanted to say, :hi:I am sorry you're still dealing with discomfort and pain.
I hope the you find ways to obtain relief.
Thanks for stopping by, always nice to hear from you, JW!
 
JW,
If it is called a theragun, you will find numerous videos online on the most effective way to use it for
bursitis...if interested. Great that it brings you some relief.
@JohnWilky
 
Another question, 3 years plus since got new hip, been pretty decent mobility, inc plenty of gym & playing football BUT!!! (you know that was coming) after recent football, pulled a calf in good leg….. but fatigue made me unable to keep decent stature & long story short!! Twisted! My back (new hip side) been laid for a week or so …. Any advice re recovery?… please

And good luck to all with their new bits.
 
Gosh JW, so sorry to read this. Has rest and ice brought any improvement? That would be my best advice, initially anyway. Does chiropractic ever help you? Massage? I hope you're at least noticing some improvement after a week of rest. Please keep us posted.
@JohnWilky
 
Thxs L, still achy , but pain has eased across most of my lower back yet still very sore above my ‘new’ hip lower back/side area.
Heat does ease it , Ice doesn’t help .
Still painful to bend that side of the body , but eases a lot when sat in comfy position
But try to keep moving and I know it’s gradually getting easier daily , although longer than I expected and have suffered before, normally back mobile after 5 days or so.
Sleep absolutely fine so no problem there.

On a really pleasing note the friend of mine who is 5 weeks on and progressing speedily , encouraging news for all pre / post hippies .
Good luck everyone.
 
Hello you all you fellow moaning burgers-a big good luck to all you pre new hippies ( the vast majority of the receivers goes really well ) and a well done to all post new hipsters , keep up the good work .
Enough about you lot , more importantly more about me ! I’m 3 years 3 month in with THR & still having niggles , Hip bursa on new hip side ( left, don’t think it matters which side it’s on )and tight Tronchantric band plus some lower back pain , but hey I’m 71 now & still play football weekly , swim & gym regularly so can’t complain really can you ?
Posting again to remind everyone I’m still here & hoping I wake up one day 100% but not holding out .
Asking for a friend who is 3 month in & has started with Sciatica ( just returned to work , desk job ) any good tips to help the poor lad ( 53) it was all going so well .
Good luck everyone, long live the Hippys
 
Hello there @JohnWilky ! How about having him come see us here on BoneSmart? We’d love to boost his morale a bit and give him individualized advice.
If he is back to work then I’m guessing that he needs to rest when home and cut out other activities to help him recover.
Glad you are still footballing and swimming and going to the gym, you really are amazing..
Keep up the good work.
I hope the niggles are few and far between.
 
Latest from Manchester, can’t get my Mucker to post on hither who is making slower progress, suffering now from reflux / indigestion , any advice ?
More importantly more about me ! Has a fall playing football ( I know ) landing awkwardly on my outstretched arms thus suffering injury to my ribs , really sore anyone with any advice ( aside good obvious) the good news the 3 1/2 y old new hip survived and is fine thank goodness,
Best wishes to all , sleep well.
 
So glad your hip wasn't injured in the fall, @JohnWilky. Also, glad to read that you are playing football. The joys of getting back to normal life!

Sorry you can't get your friend to join us. Regarding his reflux, that's something that happens to many of us in the early days of recovery. What worked best for me to stop it was to be careful to always eat something with fat and protein before taking any medication.

Perhaps others will have additional suggestions.
 
Nice to hear from you, sorry you had a fall but ribs can get bruised & really hurt for awhile.
Thankfully the hip survived!
I get reflux occasionally usually because I do it to myself. I call this my perfect recipe of an evening of heartburn: pasta, red wine & chocolate for dessert. I know I'm going to suffer later but at the time I'm indulging it tastes oh so good!
I use OTC Pepcid, usually works. If I'm really smart I take it before I indulge in my triple threat.
 
What are you doing falling down, John Wilky?!! :no-fin: :wink: I am sorry you hurt your ribs, thankfully the ol hip is good.
Hopefully you figure out what's giving you the indigestion and it stops. Thanks for stopping by, I hope next time your feeling better. Have a happy and safe August!
@JohnWilky
 
Advice for sore ribs? Don't allow people to give you bear hugs!! I hope that helps. :heehee:

Seriously, I was sorry to read your update about your injury. I hope you feel better soon.
 
Reflux - I used to suffer from this on a daily basis at night. I recently joined Slimming World to lose some weight and basically I haven’t had it since. Their system is basically low fat, low sugar, low alcohol, small amount of milk or cheese or yoghurt, small amount of bread or cereal and as much protein, vegetables, fruit, pulses as you like. And you can eat rice, pasta and potato.
As well as no reflux, I’ve also lost nearly a stone which is going to be good for my joints as well as everything else.
Good luck to you and your friend.
 
Hiya folks, thxs for those remedies & good advice. You will be completely uninterested to know, but you're getting it anyway. My ribs have eased enough for me to act stupid again! Still a touch tender though.
Friends indigestion and new hip have improved enough for him to go on a Mediterranean cruise this next couple of week, hope he finds is sea legs especially post a session in the ships bar (they take no prisoners)
Otherwise I’m writing on behalf of my 40 y old son, who is having / diagnosed early west and tear in both hips, not stopped him exercising f various activities everyday though.
He is enquiring about Hip resurfacing rather replacement, so what is the opinions experience of BoneSmarters, recovery etc etc? Please point me the right direction on BS.
Finally all the very best to new hipsters, and of course many thxs BS administration, you're the best.
 
Hi @JohnWilky

Here's a link to some threads that discuss Hip Resurfacing. You might find some information there.


Also, I did some research and found the following on the website of the Hospital for Special Surgery (highly reliable source, because it is the leading orthopedic hospital in the world):

While every orthopaedic treatment has both risks and benefits, there are two specific advantages unique to surface replacement. The first is the preservation of more natural bone. The second is that resurfacing involves a larger diameter ball than a traditional hip replacement. This affords greater hip joint stability and a lower likelihood of dislocating your hip later on.

For younger patients who may outlive their implant, the preservation of bone is the largest advantage. Since bone is preserved at the initial operation, more bone is available for a future operation, should one be needed. Over time, any hip implant may loosen or show signs of wear. In a young, active population, there is a high likelihood that more than one hip replacement operation may be necessary over their lifetime. The more bone that remains after the first operation, the greater the chances of a good outcome if a hip revision (a second operation) is required years later. The preservation of more bone also facilitates the use of a much larger ball size, which creates greater stability of the hip joint.

The general risks of hip resurfacing are the same as with traditional total hip replacement. These include infection, dislocation, blood clots, nerve injury, and extra bone formation around the hip that could make the hip stiff. The risk of infection with hip resurfacing is no different than with total hip replacement. The risk of dislocation is 10x lower, because of the larger diameter ball. The risk of nerve injury and extra bone formation around the hip are slightly higher with a hip resurfacing because of the need to work around your bone in an enclosed space.

A risk unique to hip resurfacing that is not present in traditional hip replacement is that of femoral neck fracture. The femoral neck is a vulnerable area of bone that connects the ball of your hip joint to the rest of your thighbone. With a hip resurfacing, the femoral neck is preserved, so there is a risk of fracture. We believe the risk of fracture in this area is between 1-2%. It is because the surgical exposure, preparation of bone, and placement of the component with cement may cause this bone to be more vulnerable. The risk of femoral neck fracture is why crutches are necessary for 4 weeks post-operative and impact activities are not recommended for 6 months. If you have a femoral neck fracture after hip resurfacing, you will need another operation to convert it to a traditional total hip replacement.

When a hip resurfacing wears out, it is generally because the femoral cap loosens from the underlying bone. If this happens, it can be converted to a traditional total hip replacement with a stem in the thigh bone, utilizing a big metal ball to match your socket. Generally, the socket is firmly attached to your bone and will not need to be revised. The end result is a metal-on-metal hip replacement with a big metal ball.



Hope this information is helpful.
 
Back
Top Bottom