Guest viewing is limited

THR Hi I'm back..

Status
Not open for further replies.
At about eight weeks done, I have to say, Wow....
Even "if", I had to stay on a cane for the rest of my life... Yea, Pretty sure that's not gonna happen LOL, just saying if I did, I would do this all over again.. It has been wonderful..
Yesterday, I went to the barn, decided to ride the four-wheeler, before surgery, it was a "staged" event, I had to very carefull get on, most usually I would get on , on the left side and set sideways, "both legs on one side, riding sidesaddle", if I stepped across, I had to do it slowly and carefully, and then after I was on I had to keep moving until I could get semi-comfortable, never could set totally comfortable, and always set crooked, "and it hurt".....
Yesterday, I thought I would try and get on straight... wow what a difference, I stepped up and swung my leg over and set down, "NO PAIN", none... and rode it right up to the barn... No pain... wow...
My next appointment is April 8th..
 
Oh how I remember how utterly impossible to go horseback riding for a couple of years before surgery and the tears of joy when I was able to ride after my first hip surgery and even better.... Able to guide with legs for first time was absolutely mind blowing!. How soon until you're able to get back in the saddle?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Pony
Such an inspiration. Congrats. I bet it was a slice of heaven to get back in your horse.

I wish it was back on my horse, but no.... It was a four wheeler, but good practice for when I finally am able too lol..
@Me2 , I'm not sure, I'm still not supposed to be even walking without the walker or crutch's where my dr had to take the hardware out of my hip/leg, have to let the bone fill back in also where the pin's was needs to fill in.. I go back April the 8 th I'm sure he will let me know then..
 
I had my appointment today, got exrays all looked fine Dr. Castle said the holes in my bone was filling in, he stuffed some of my own bone into the top hole where he took the big screw out he said it looked really good, thank goodness..
I was worried, as My baby brother ended up in the hospital "he's the one who takes care of my dad" he lives with him, he had been feeling bad for several days. The dr put him in hospital and dad called me from home, "he had driven himself home", we went up to take my son to stay with him and I asked my brother if dad had had his meds, he said he thought he might have missed a dose and explained what and how much to give dad, I wrote everything down and asked again about the doses he had missed my brother said to just start with the evening dose so I got them out and put them in a separate case and then got his morning dose out explained to my son to give them and what time , we had to go home and take care of the animals and was going back out the next day.. The next morning my son called and said he had called 911 and that dad was shaking severely.. Sammy was so scared we fed the animals and took off..
Dad was still shaking very badly and couldn't hardly talk I was afraid he had had a stroke, come to find out he was on a very dangerous medication for his Essential Tremors and had missed to many doses, my brother didn't think it was that dangerous, dad was having seisures because of not enough of the meds being in his blood, so he was put in hospital but they couldn't get him in the same one as my brother and the only one that they could get him in was an hour and a half away.. My older brother finally showed up, and I explained I wasn't supposed to be walking and doing as much as I was and that he needed to go with and stay with dad at the hospital where my baby brother was already in the hospital and I had had surgery, he refused too.. said dad would be alright on his own, dad gets confused easily and every time his eyes opened he was looking for one of us I tried explaining that to him, still refused to go, so I threw a fit and said that's alright I'll go and stay with him, I called him and his wife a few names I usually never say and walked out of the hospital room "my baby brothers" and went to the ER where my dad was and I rode to the other hospital with him in the ambulance, about an hour after we got there my husband showed up and he had tried to talk to my older :blackcloud::gaah::tantrum2:dumb stupid brother and got pretty much no response so I resigned myself to having to stay with dad till he got out, finally about 9 after it had gotten dark my brother shows up and says he will stay, so we leave and go to my dads house and spent the night, the next morning we go visit my baby bro to see how he's doing and then because I didn't want my older bro to have to stay all day as well we figured we would go and let him go eat and rest for a while in his car, he took off and went home, said he needed to feed his chickens, he didn't care my horses and dog wasn't being taken care of, hubby finally was able to get a hold of our oldest daughter and she went and fed for us.. My bro didn't show up until after dark about 9 yet again, he didn't care how bad I was hurting.. was so glad he finally showed up though, I was so mad at him :hairpulling::headbang::tantrum: would love to have knocked him down... We made it as far as dads again, I just didn't feel like riding all the way home and hubby was finally able to get a hold of our daughter again so she fed for us again..
Dad is home and doing much better, and I now know his meds and how dangerous the one is.. My baby brother is finally home and feeling much better , he had a severe infection his kidneys almost shut down.. A big scare for him and a big scare for us on both his and dads health...
I had taken care of mom when she got sick and my older brother had not helped at all he said she was my responcibility and that dad was his and my baby brothers, I don't know why I really expected him to keep his word, we had left our home and move into a camper until she passed away over a year, and I had sold my horse so we could take care of her.. I'm so mad at my brother right now..
I'm sorry to complain on here but I'm just still so upset....
 
@Pony
What an ordeal you & your dad & baby brother have gone through! I'm so sorry!

So glad both are home from the hospital now & also so glad you could call on your daughter & son for help. Hopefully, now you can get back to taking care of yourself! Sending my best your way!
SweetPea69
 
I forgot to ask, how do you "train" your mind not to limp? Anyone? I'm still limping and the nurse said I have to retrain my mind..
 
At nine weeks and one day , wow! :happydance:
I can't believe the difference in me already.. I can in the past week tell I'm getting stronger and limping a little less.. Still have not figured out how to "train" my mind not to limp..
Walking a "lot" more :egypdance: I can now stand and brush my horse "both" until I'm done with "both" about a half hour each.. I can't believe I'm standing that long before just a few minutes and I was exhausted and hurting so bad I would end up not brushing them at all..
I can walk up to the barn and while I do get out of breath I'm not hurting but my knee does get tight.. By late evening my lower leg just above the knee and the smiley area in the knee does hurt a little, I do know I have some arthritis in my knee, but it doesn't hurt bad at all.. compared to my hip before surgery..
I can pretty much walk up steps normal..... yep normal... and even forgot and stepped onto the running board of the truck today with my new hip, sort of not quiet high enough kind of bumped my toe and made me realize which foot I used but was able to raise it and get on it.. :yes!:
Hubby was smiling as I got in the truck , he said doing great... :curtsey:
And today also for the first time, I was able to cut my own toenails on the new hip side LOL, told hubby he would not have to cut them any more lol.. :wink: He's been cutting them since I broke my hip ... long time... :giggle:
I'm still getting on the four wheeler and tried today, "on a role" lol, to get on the new hip side, haven't been able to "twist" on that foot because of pain and my hip would dislocate so easily, no problem, got right on, been getting on from the other side forever, albeit very carefully, and now I can get on and just throw my foot/leg right on over.... :dancy:
Wish my dr said not to wait till my next appointment in three months, just to be sure the bone is filled in... Oh this is so hard, I want to go riding.. :eyebrows::loveshwr:
For anyone getting ready for this surgery, go for it! So glad I did!....:wave::happydance::yay::flwrysmile: Love these smiley things LOL :egypdance:
 
@Pony
What great news!! So happy for you! You are an encouragement to those pre and post op.

I can tell that you are just in heaven to be able to take care of your horses. Just must be so exhilarating to be able to truly enjoy your passion without pre hip pain.

Just so happy for you.
God bless and have a wonderful week!!:horseriding:
 
@Arlene56 , oh yes, its always been my favorite thing to do ever since I was small.. My parents wondered where I got that too many times lol, although they did love dogs, cats and chickens LOL.. We were always finding new stray dogs to take care of.. so I guess I came by it honestly..
I've been wondering, though recently, as Snowman is 23 years old, does that really mean I would be riding if I got on him LOL........... No I'm not gonna misbehave I'm listening to my dr lol...
I do get a little tender at times in the bend of my hip so that's when I know I've over done it and just slow down and rest...
My main complaint is my scar's, they are still very tender and at times I get little stings there, the lower scar at my knee if I overdue it still gets a little stiff and tight, but the one where the dr took the rod/nail and large screw out is well, the bottom four inch's and the top three to four are tender but the middle four from the scar to about four inch's behind it is numb entirely, in front isn't just in behind it is, its weird..
 
@ anyone, I'm still having some pain in my inner thigh and down next to my knee when trying to walk without limping, still have not figured out how to do that completely... wondering if its just where my muscles were so weak from where I limped for so long..
 
I'm still having some pain in my inner thigh and down next to my knee when trying to walk without limping
Muscles atrophy pre-op. Depending on how long you limped around before your THR - it can take 12+ to get strength in your gait. Practice heel, toe walking focusing on very slow and measured (even) stride. Keep at it - the situation didn't develop overnight. It will take some time to resolve.
 
@Jaycey Thank you, I've actually limped for years, the nurse told me I had to retrain my mind but never explained how too lol..
 
I've actually limped for years
Me too - and it's darn hard to retrain yourself to walk differently. It's not really "brain training". It's more breaking the habit of limping. Use a walking aid as long as you need it. Then try the heel, toe walking. I am still working on correcting my gait 17 months post RTHR. Hard to do but just be patient. You'll get there!
 
@Simplieme Thank you I thought that was a cute pic of Athena, she's so sassy, she now has her feet under her so we have to be careful as those little feet are very quick, I sure don't want kicked LOL..
 
11 weeks and four days, I can raise my foot up all the way and get in the vehicle "normal" with no pain.. Still having some issue's with some slight pain in my thigh down the inside to my knee, but not bad at all, mostly after I've walked for a while.. so happy I had my surgery.. can walk up/down steps normal I still need more strength but wow so much better, I can tell I'm gaining strength every day..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom