THR Hi Ho Hi Ho....

Keep the faith Gillycat! we'll deal with these nasty psoas issues together! After a long walk on the beach, climbing the stairs back to the rental house wasn't easy. Even with the psoas issue, isn't it nice to be able to handle that 12 hour shift with much reduced pain or discomfort? Isn't it grand to be able to tale that walk in the countryside with hubby and dog? I'll be talking to my OS on Thurs about the psoas issues but generally try to focus on what I CAN do now, not the problems! If nothing else changed from here, I'd still be one happy camper!
 
Thanks @SaraK for the reality check. You are correct, it is something to handle the 12 hour shift with the much reduced pain levels and zero locking up. Trouble is it doesn't leave much time for the gentle stretches and exercise I feel my hip needs. Sorry you're having psoas issues too but as you said we can tackle them together. Love your positivity and yes I've come so far, and mainly very satisfied with result, it just feels slightly worse than last month. Hopefully just a temporary set back.
@jaydub63, I know I've read other posts about psoas stretches. Just wish I could remember where.

Wishing you both a peaceful and restorative week ahead.
 
You said it feels slightly Worse than last week - could that be because you're doing more now? I know that, in my case, it is worse the more I do. Maybe it just needs more time to catch up to the rest of our activities. Probably no surprise but, unless the OS tells me to slow down, I have no intention of doing so! I'm starting to do some yoga - maybe we could each try some restorative yoga each night and see if that helps.
 
Ah bliss! Just back from trigger point Pilates. Lots of hip and spine work. Better than pain killers. Was really surprised how much strength loss in just a short while of missing classes. Sure I walked out a full inch taller just by improving posture and engaging core.
Happy bunny again.
Thanks @Layla for the link to stretches.
@SaraK, you’re probably right about increases in activity making hip sadder- I don’t think it’s because there’s a major hitch. Just lots of static postures and not enough down time or restorative exercise.
Note to self- Save some time for stretching, relaxation and targeted exercise. It’ll help keep me sane too.
 
:hi:
We figure so much out by trial and error.
I know I did.
Keep listening to your body and keep the relaxation on your list with the stretching and exercises.
Strengthening g AMD toning can be regained.
Have a nICE day:ice:
 
Great week.
Busy at work, but holding up just fine.
Took delivery of my new car- I love it. Still learning how it works, what the different buttons do, mastering the electric break and.........enjoying just looking at it. I know- I'm a bit sad and probably need to get out more.
Previously good hip grumbling along, making its presence felt. Nothing too bad yet, and nothing that can't be managed with mild pain killers, rest and if all else fails, the analgesic effects of beer.
Getting up early tomorrow for a swim before work. It sets me up for the day ahead and I hope will help me shift some of the post surgery weight gain.
Well- guess it's off to bed now. Another busy day expected tomorrow. My gran used to say that you did all your growing and healing while you're asleep. Too late to grow- so here's hoping to mend.
 
:friends:@gillycat11
So glad to hear you are doing well.
I do so hope you enjoy your swim:swim:
 
Afternoon with mum today. Visiting for her 88th birthday. Lots of cards, flowers and gifts.
Lovely party tea. We all ate far too much but I guess sometimes its compulsory.
Tomorrow I'm doing a Morning of Pilates and gong bath. Apparently it's an hour of Pilates followed by an hour of relaxation and the healing vibration of gongs.?? Never done it before, don't know what to expect, but I'll see in the morning.
All I know is that we have to take a pillow and blanket.
Had a minor panic today- thought someone had scratched my car! Cue strop and foot stomping- only for hubby to go out and discover it was the join between 2 panels! How embarrassing!
 
Gong bath?
I really must expand my horizons.
Do come back and tell!
:wave:hope all continues to go well with you.
Sending good mojo your way:roseshwr:
 
Last edited:
Well, @Mojo333, what happened was after some Pilates, all the shutters were closed and lights turned down then the gong player- I don't know if she has a special title brought in 2 massive copper gongs- like those you see on TV documentaries about Tibetan monasteries. We all lay on our mats on the floor wrapped in blankets while the lady played these gongs. The idea was to relax and in some cases meditate. It was a surprisingly relaxing experience considering the size of these gongs and the small space. One lady even went to sleep- but she said she was just meditating! Anyway, I'm sure she was snoring!
The organiser said the process was centuries old, passed down from Chinese traditional healing traditions, now being researched in a more Western scientific manner and that there may be some evidence that the sound vibrations aid healing at a cellular level.
I know nothing about that- but it was a relaxing way of winding down and being peaceful after a busy week at work and home.
And on a plus side- hip and groin has been remarkably good since.
Poor hubby has been suffering back and hip pain for several months, but being a bloke was putting off going to see about it. I thought his symptoms sounded very similar to my pre op hip pain but he was in denial. He has now got results from X-rays, bloods and examinations and has a couple of bulging vertebral discs, an arthritic knee and 2 arthritic hips! The left worse than the right. I figure he'll soon be coming down the replacement route too. He is being referred to an orthopaedic surgeon but is still hoping for a conservative treatment option.
This story sounds so familiar.
Will see what happens but I could end up repaying him for all the care he gave me after my operation 8 months ago today!
 
I do think there is some science behind healing vibrations. I don't have access to the gong thing, but I have a ceiling fan that needs replacing and is kind of off balance. I come in and sit in the recliner and it kind of hums me into this ethereal peaceful place...
Poor man's paradise!:heehee:

Seriously, I would go for the experience...you never know until you try.

Poor hubby. I don't know how he's been getting along with all that going on.
My DH was so giving, concerned, and gracious also...will be nice to give back.

Glad you are doing well, @gillycat11 !
All the best to you.
 
Sounds pretty cool, @gillycat11! I have a psychology professor friend who's into experiencing stuff like this and research involving relaxation and happiness - I'll mention this to him in case he wants to try it!
 
Lucky You ~
I'm ALL about meditating, peaceful vibrations (Reiki)...natural homeopathic remedies, Eastern Medicine and healing~
Sounds like you have a beautiful studio and safe space to practice in and to calm the mind~
Sending positive healing vibes to you for your on-going recovery!
 
One lady even went to sleep- but she said she was just meditating! Anyway, I'm sure she was snoring!
That is hilarious @gillycat11

Sounds interesting for sure. It's nice you enjoyed it and also that your hip and groin are feeling better.

Wow! Poor hubs had a lot thrown at him all at once. He got answers for his discomfort but a tough pill to swallow. You'd be a great caregiver due to your profession and first hand experience. He lucked out there!

Hope you have a nice weekend!
 
This week we've been in full celebration mode at work, on the news, on TV- in fact all over the UK celebrating 70 years of our NHS. Thanks to the NHS, I had my hip replacement, my meds, my physiotherapy, and the knowledge that should anything have gone wrong I had access to a whole range of experts and professionals in a safe modern hospital and all free at the point of care. Happy birthday NHS and thank you. Here's to another 70 years- and more.
Also the country is gripped by World Cup fever. Everyone's really upbeat. It's all helped along by the lovely warm weather we're having too. Lots of fun in the sun, ice cream and picnics! Lovely!
Joined a new gym. The new one has longer opening hours so I should be able to go more often fitting it around work. Meeting one of the personal trainers next week. Even if I don't use the gym area often, at least it has a pool and I'll be able to swim more often.
Still waiting for hubby's referral to go through and for him to get appointment. I don't know whether it's true, but his walking seems to be getting worse every day. Of course he says it's not- trying to pretend there's nothing wrong and it'll all be a big mistake. I smell denial.
Wishing everyone a happy weekend.
 
I know that denial you speak of all to well @gillycat11
Maybe if I take this supplement. Maybe if I start seeing a chiropractor, Maybe if I incorporate this into my diet. Maybe NOT....in the end.

It's a tough pill to swallow. You feel old. You feel too young. You feel sad, maybe even defeated. You give in.

We all come in our own time. It's difficult to watch someone you love struggle though. Especially when you know first hand the relief it will bring him. He'll get there....

Wishing you a peaceful weekend in the lovely weather you're currently enjoying!
Happy to hear you're doing so well.
 
Hi Gillycat,
Where in the UK are you? I love the sound of the gong bath and I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments re the NHS, we have to make sure we protect it.
How soon did you start swimming again, I'm just going into my sixth week and swam like crazy before the op, I think this helped a lot with fitness and I've had little trouble so far in recovery.
I love your story and how much energy you seem to have.
 
Yes @Layla, denial is a big step to overcome in order to start the journey to recovery. I remember it well. Only he can make the decision on what to do and when to do it. It’s just sad seeing him struggling when I know there’s probably a solution or at least help if he accepts it.

On a different note- is anyone else having problems with the app?
Since the last update , I can read posts but when I log in to reply I’m not ably to reply- not text box appears. Having to do it all through the website. Any suggestions accepted.

Happy hippy weekend to all my fellow hippies, or are we hipsters? X
 
@lalibeila , I’m in Nortern England. The gong bath is at my local Pilates centre.
I too swam like a maniac pre op. A mile at a time 3 or 4 times a week. I think it was all part of the denial thing I went through. Even up to my surgery date. It helped with my flexibility but also was very soothing for my joints.

I waited til about 10 or 12 weeks until I got in the pool afterwards and hip precautions were lifted before I swam. Even then I started VERY cautiously. Initially just walking in water to waist depth , then 1 length, 2 lengths , 4 lengths doubling up distance over some time and stopping frequently.
Initially it was slow going and really frustrating and surprisingly difficult. Even hard just getting in and out of bather and putting shoes and socks back on!
Mentally, physically and emotionally it’s been a big part in my rehab and also helping me now shed a couple of post op pounds.
Good luck with your rehab. You’ll soon be back in that pool!:swim::swim::swim:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom