THR Hi Ho Hi Ho....

Go Gilly:egypdance: go Gilly:egypdance:
Shopping without dropping!:yes!:
 
A weekend of contrasts- Saturday was really civilised (we never use the 'Q' word), but Sunday was mad crazy.
Thank goodness for day off today. Taking mum to garden centre to buy plants to refresh the flower beds.
 
Not sure where it went but I just lost my post. Computer crashed and when it came back I was logged out and it was gone!
Oh well here I go again. By the way how do I get pictures on too? Every time I try it says it's too big- have cropped and tried reducing resolution but still no joy.
Anyway here I go- post 2nd attempt.
Did first full 12 hour shift yesterday! No hip pain, no niggles and no cramping or seizing up! Wasn't able to say that last year! New hip stood up to it just fine. Back, knees and feet not so great. Oh my aching feet! Was glad to get my feet into a nice bubbly soak.
Today I ran/ walked a mile with Poppy the dog. Well mostly walked but it's a start!
This afternoon we've just walked. Total of 10km so far- she's sulking massively now. Think she preferred the pre op me. I didn't put so many exercise demands on her.
Seen an article in a magazine refuting the claim that running/ exercise was bad for joints- particularly knees. Rather than that it seemed to imply that there was a reduced incidence in joint issues in runners. Bit late for my new hip but hoping a little light jogging might help the old one and my knees.
Now just chilling in front of the TV, wondering what I can do next. I'm like a big kid! This movement thing's great- especially when it doesn't hurt! Yippee!
 
@gillycat11 Glad to read your update, and congrats on getting started with the running! I'm holding out for a few more weeks until I hit the 6 month mark. That's exactly where I will be - mostly walking with a bit of running thrown in. I haven't done it in so long it will be a thrill to even go a few yards. Sorry to hear your pup is not enjoying her newly energetic owner, but it's good for her too! Way to go on acing the 12 hr shift!
 
Thanks @Layla. Will give it a go if capable.
Was trying to show the end result of having a new hip and a new found energy.
[Bonesmart.org] Hi Ho Hi Ho....
Poor thing was shattered.
Not sure that Poppy doesn't 'like' walks or runs @jaybub63- just don't think she understands them. Not enough time to stop and sniff.
She soon perked up after a snooze and a biscuit. But then- don't we all!
 
Poppy looks so sweet.
Hope you are still Hip Happy, @gillycat11
It is has been a full week of May showers here in Georgia and no sign of a break for another week.
See need the rain, but makes food pick ups for the Food Bank miserable.
I am still super cautious about slick surfaces also as things are going so well...I catch myself wondering if I can mess it up?
Hope your day is lovely!:SUNsmile:
 
Thanks @Mojo333, she’s my hairy baby. I don’t know how I’d have coped these past months without her. She’s been my companion when everyone was at work when I was just recovering and my motivation to get out and walk from really very early on.
So even when I was on crutches she still needed to go out- so I’d just take her, rain frost or snow.
Now it’s probably me that’s pushing her to walk more or go further- but it’s just so liberating being able to have a long walk in the countryside or coast without the pain!
We’re in the midst of an unseasonable warm spell so enjoying being able to go out without a coat!
 
Tip for posting pictures....email the pic to yourself, then use that pic for posting!
Your posts are encouraging...I have surgery June 12 and 2 wk trip to Italy in mid October, Paris in late Nov! I¡m ready to rock and roll!
 
Thanks @the southerncook, will probably try that next time I want to post a picture. That's a lovely travel schedule you have lined up for later in the year. So far- nothing so exciting planned for me- just a walking holiday in the English Lake District in August. We have booked time off later in the year but not booked anything yet.

Had a bit of a scare this week. Saturday was great- out walking, visiting relatives, enjoying freedom, and of course there was the small distraction of a royal wedding that simply HAD to be watched!
But by Sunday I had increase in throbbing hip pain, heat over joint and was back to lifting leg in and out of the car again. It felt like it had pre op only without the locking up. I could still walk, but couldn't lift leg to get upstairs one leg after the other and was back to leading with the good one. I even managed to convince myself there was a noise too! :yikes: So last few days spent icing, elevating and resting as much as I can- even icing on meal breaks at work! Things seem to be settling down again now after a few days of reduced activity but it scared me at the time.Logic tells me it must be muscular and soft tissue ache as there's no nerves in the hip itself but frightening all the same.
Reckon its never too late to overdo it!
 
No ma'am.
Had a few of those days myself.
Directly related to over activity or excessive lifting.
Take care @gillycat11

You'll be back on track soon.
 
Aww, Poppy. What a sweetie! I love black labs. I grew up with them and married a guy who loves them also.
We're on our third.

Sorry you're hurting. Glad it's easing, I'm sure you just overdid it a bit. I'll bet you'll be out pounding the pavement with Poppy in no time.

A great rest of the week to you!

@gillycat11
 
@gillycat11: thanks so much for your followup - inspiring, fun, and funny. It's also helpful that it's been so long since your surgery and you're still posting to let us know that there are still a few bumps in the road and not to freak when we encounter them. All the best, and have a great week!
 
Hope all has gotten better
@gillycat11
It's the weekend:egypdance:
I have to do small business pick up for food bank this morning and Monday am...which cuts me out of any away plans for long holiday, but already seeing major vehicle wrecks on interstates...do don't want to get in that fracas anyway!
Honestly, that might be my one big fear I haven't mastered yet. Don't like crazy traffic and do NOT want my hips wrecked!
Hope your weekend is wonderful!:SUNsmile:
 
A day of 2 halves. Started off uncomfortable and miserable, blubbing about why I'd had it done, when hubby suggested I went for a swim as I'd got so much relief from it before surgery. Think he wanted me out of the house too because he didn't know what to say or do. So pre loaded with paracetamol and brufen off I went, towel in hand. The water felt freezing, even though it probably wasn't, but I soon warmed up. Only half a mile today but it did me the power of good. Still stiff when I got out, but mentally 100% better.
After lunch we had a dog guided walk in a local country park- that's when we let her off lead and she decides where to go- we then follow.
Great fun Poppy gets to sniff and wander to her heart's content.
Over an hour later, after going up and over hills, steps, grass, stepping stones and loads of different surfaces we got back to the car.
Realisation- I will get ups and downs. My new hip is strong. The rest of me is still me- so if I do something which would have made my muscles hurt before- it'll make them sore now. Not everything is the fault of this hip so I should stop over thinking it and get back on with it.
So here we are, full circle. Still slightly sore, leg still connected to torso- that is my hip WASN'T in the process of falling apart! But mentally repaired, relaxed and restored.
Don't blame you not fancying busy interstates @Mojo333. Still here's hoping you manage some downtime this weekend.
@Layla, yes labs are truly wonderful companions and great motivators to keep moving, get going and - when all else fails , great listeners.
@Bone-obo- just shows, seven months out, can still get sore, scared and downright miserable. But also shows what a wonderfully supportive community we have here on Bonesmart.
 
:goodpost:
Realisation- I will get ups and downs. My new hip is strong. The rest of me is still me- so if I do something which would have made my muscles hurt before- it'll make them sore now. Not everything is the fault of this hip so I should stop over thinking it and get back on with it.

I think that is very true and I can use that reminder also. Thank you
 
You're right @gillycat11 - we get so used to blaming things on the hips. I told my trainer after the first THR that I'd know the hip was basically rehabbed/healed when both sides hurt after increasing the intensity instead of just the op side! Then the other side started hurting more ... Voila - time for second THR!

I'm glad the swim and walk were restorative!
 
Flat and deflated. Groin still sore. Leg feels like lead when trying to climb stairs. Back on full time, full duties at work. No time to exercise or stretch it out. Feel certain that it's something to do with psoas because it's far better after I've stood up straight, stretched it out or walked about, but none of those activities go down very well on a 12 hour shift, in a multidisciplinary team meeting or during a patient assessment.
Thankfully I've had the weekend off and been able to walk in the countryside with the dog and hubby.
Contacted the operating consultant in the week, because I must have sleep walked through the surgery thing because I didn't actually know what my prosthetic was made of or long term management and restriction!
Turns out its steel with a polyethylene cup- so I WILL certainly trigger security scanners, but surprisingly should be ok taking patients to MRI scans. Haven't wanted to risk that one yet- have delegated that duty so far!
He's also said I need prophylactic antibiotic cover for life for any operation or dental procedure of greater than 30 minutes, involving lots of blood or infection- sounds gross!
In among some of the restrictions for the future, he just dropped into the mix that running and jumping 'not recommended' . Considering that pre op he said I'd be able to run, not marathon distances, but up to about 5-6 miles, this has come as unwanted news. I can understand not bouncing along jumping, but not the gentle jogging/ running.
Hoping to get chance to get in a couple of swims and a gentle Pilates session this week. It's always made me feel much more positive regardless of how miserable, uncomfortable or tired I'm feeling.
Been car shopping again- partly triggered by sore hip/ groin but also a sort of dreaded inevitability that the non operated hip is rumbling on in the background. Think I've pretty much sorted what I want- just have to finance it now!
Which brings me back to the start! Work, work and more work!
 
@gillycat11 I'm sorry to hear you've hit a bit of a snag with your new hip. Hopefully something you'll get it sorted out quickly. I know what those weeks are like when you just have no down time for yourself. Others on here have mentioned good stretches for the psoas so maybe that will help you too.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom