THR Here we go again...Hip #2 Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ilovefall It sounds like you are doing very well, that's great! I wish I had found this forum 3 weeks ago. I had a hip replacement on the 13th of Oct, today is 3 weeks and it has not been as easy for me. They did a nerve block and I was wondering if any of you had that done? The outer side of my surgery leg is still numb and sensitive. I can not stand anyone to touch the outer side of my ankle. I am still walking with a cane and can not walk more than a few steps without it. I was not told the numbness would last this long. I also wake up in pain and have to get up and walk around about 2 in the morning. I am still on Hydrocodone (can't take anything less without being in pain). They say I am doing good but after reading your progress, I don't feel that I am where I should be, thought I would be back to work by now? Any advise would be helpful.
 
@SouthernDawn

This is my second hip replacement and I can't imagine one would be able to go back to work in three weeks.

What type of surgical approach did you have? I think my quick turn around this time is due to the approach (anterior). Last time I had a lateral.

I still have numbness in the outside of my thigh and hip area. It takes time for that to come back. Yes, I'm still sore sometimes, but it's more of a stiffness than a pain.

Try not to compare yourself to others; since we all heal differently. :) I always do, but was given this good advice last time. Try to be positive and do your exercises and walk. Four weeks was a big turnaround for me last time around. Good luck!!
 
@ilovefall I had an Anterior Method RTHR. My surgeon said that was the best for me. I did not know about the nerve block and can't make a comparison to not having one. This is the first surgery I have had. I just hope the numbness goes away, I guess I've read too much and petrified of having nerve damage :scaredycat:
 
@SouthernDawn

Don't stress about the numbness in your leg. From what I've been told the numbness between the knee and hip is due to the surgery not the spinal.

Just give it time. Good luck and God bless!! :)
 
Quick question.....I'm trying to remember (from my last surgery) how long it takes for that slightly longer leg length feeling to straighten out.

I'm not rushing things, as I know most of it is muscles, swelling, etc., I just wanted an idea of time.

Thanks BS friends!!!! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My last one took about a year to finally settle out. This time .. Same doc and same procedure... I have no feeling of difference.. I actually feel like both legs are now even. No rational explanation.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
how long it takes for that slightly longer leg length feeling to straighten out.
This is different for everyone. But the advice is to wait at least 3-4 months before using any kind of lift in you shoe to even out the feeling. In most cases this feeling disappears though. At your followup visit with your OS ask him to look at this on your x-ray. On screen they can show you any discrepancy.
 
The feeling I had first time had nothing to do with leg length...just hip chunkiness.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
Hi lovefall

Been reading through your thread and glad everything has turned out well, welcome to the double hippy club.

Billy
 
@SouthernDawn, prior to my surgery I asked my surgeon about the potential of nerve damage that is the main "risk" of the anterior approach. He told me that it shows up in the inner thigh/groin area, not the outside, and is very painful (he also assured me that he's never had a case : ). Like you, I have the numbness on the outer thigh, with sensitivity. This is my 6th surgery and I can assure you that this is typical and it will resolve with time. I bet the tenderness on the outer side of the ankle is from those boots they strap you into on the special table. I have that sensitivity on the back of my ankle on the operated leg.

I feel like my progress is slower than everyone else I read about, so I try to think about the progress I've made since the day I came home and that gives me some perspective. That, along with the missing pain from the bone-on-bone, reminds me that I'm doing fine. I'm still on a walker and can't put all my weight on the operated leg, and I"m still taking the oxy and tramadol for pain. When I wonder why I'm still having so much pain and in so many places, I just remember the sound of what I think was a mallet of some sort pounding away when I awakened somewhat in the OR and I tell myself "is it any wonder!" I think you are doing GREAT!
 
Ok im strange but for mine I wish it could be videotaped to watch later lol
 
3 Week Update:

Walking around the house w/o cane.

Taking 700 ft walks 3/x a day. 500 feet of each walk is w/o the cane! YEY!!

Stiffness is still there. But understandable.

Knee pain in operated leg is annoying!

Sleeping better on non-operated side.

Starting to lay in operated side comfortably for short times.

Driving comfortably for short distances.

Showering and dressing independently (with the exception of my right shoe ;)

Going to Doctor next week for four week follow up.
 
Ok BS friends......I'm having terrible back pain in the early morning hours. I've tried taking more pain meds around 3 to ward off the pain, but they didn't even help.

I generally suffer from a bad back, but this pain in insane and stops immediately when I get up. Almost like my back is telling me "I can't sleep on it any longer....it doesn't like it". I'm sleeping for small periods of time on my non-operated side, but even switching to the side by that time isn't an option.

Ugh was hoping to sleep in a little bit while I'm off from work. Getting up at 6 isn't enjoyable when I'm not working. :(

Thoughts??? Suggestions???
 
Have you tried using a wedge of some form to sleep on? It might not solve everything but could change the angle your backs at and potentially reduce the pain or at least hold it off for longer.

I'm assuming you are already seeing someone to get the back problem itself resolved?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
Not sleeping on a wedge. Just pillows under knees-to-feet. I also have a wonderful new mattress. :(

Back problems have been addressed by docs. Arthritis, herniated discs, bulging discs, blah, blah, whine... :(
 
Try a wedge type pillow under knees only. That will take some pressure off your lower back. If you sleep on non op side, long body type pillow between legs from thigh to feet and wedge or pillow wedged behind you to keep yourself from rolling backwards onto your back.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom