THR Here we go again...Hip #2 Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
"human bobble head" :heehee: What a perfect description of those early, sleepy days!
It sounds like you are doing terrific, @ilovefall. Gosh, it took me nearly a week to be able to lift my leg onto and off of the bed. Kudos! Also great news about the solo shower and the walking!
I'm sorry about the poor night's sleep. Hopefully, tonight will be much better.
Take care and keep up the great work. Enjoy the naps. :)
 
One thing I have learned from my two times, my doc and posts from others is that sleep can be disturbed by med effects, having to pee so much, body changes and unfamiliar beds and more. 8 hrs straight of sleep as pain meds are reduced or gone may take awhile. Grrr. But it does get better. Have a restful day.



Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 5

Walked 600 feet outside 2x today w/cane.

Was able to do three straight legs raises while laying down .

Taking Tylenol mostly and some Tramadol in between.

Icing and elevating most of the day.

You're doing great @ilovefall! I still get exhausted going to the bathroom and getting resettled into bed.

I tried to do a leg lift, lol! After much coaxing, I was able to lift my heel off the bed. Guess I'll stick to slides etc. for now.

Keep up the good work!

Kristi
 
Sounds great. Slow and steady wins the race. I've a few of those jittery episodes with the oxy also. I'm still not sure if I like it or not. Mostly I just get itchy from it though.

Take care.

Pete


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @ilovefall
I had my surgery through Rothman also. Are you on the FORCE app? It's worked very well for me. The Phys. Assist. recommended formal PT sessions after my 4 week check up.
But? Does your app recommend a straight leg lift already? The most I was to do was the heel slides.
You sound great! Keep on keeping on.. will keep an eye on your recovery thread. :)
 
VERY VERY stiff heavy feeling leg today!!!!! Could be the amount of exercises I did yesterday. But any other thoughts??? Go.....
 
Hi, catching up late on your thread but I suspect your initial assumption is correct. I know that during my recovery whatever I did one day I paid for the next if I pushed a bit too hard. Easiest way round it was to plan for the up and down days as best you can & whilst slow and steady will win all the time with the recovery we all know we will have "crazy" days so just be prepared to pay for them and smile while you ice the leg and eat the chocolate.

Have a great recovery day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
Yup .its like that old song.. You put your left foot in, you put your left out and eventually you'll do the hokey pokey . For now I am doing better but always with play,/rest/walk/rest.
Lots of time for hokey pokey in the future.



Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
@ilovefall, my log leg was stubborn. I was in the hospital for 4 days and then at home for probably 3 days before I had any improvement. Thankfully, it does abate pretty soon.
I hope you're having a good day. Sending out good thoughts for you. :)
 
Oh and remember to ice and elevate on and off especially on active days to reduce swelling. I still ice multiple times a day and it helps with aches and tree trunk leg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
Sounds great. Slow and steady wins the race. I've a few of those jittery episodes with the oxy also. I'm still not sure if I like it or not. Mostly I just get itchy from it though.

Take care.

Pete


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I had the same reaction to Vancomyacin. . Started itching on my scalp and worked it's way down. Benydrl on top of morphine. Grin! I was one goofy patient.
 
I'm getting into this late but sounds you are doing well, just listen to all the great suggestions. The best advice is from those who have been there. Good luck.:loveshwr:
 
Today was better. Was able to get a relatively good sleep last night. Rested yesterday and stayed on top of pain meds. Will post more tomorrow as it will be my one week mark!!
 
One week update:

Sleeping at night better!

Surgical bandage removed (incision looks pretty good).

Able to lift leg independently up onto the couch, bed and/or recliner.

Taking short walks outside.

Able to get shower and dress independently (minus socks....hahah indoor/outdoor slippers are my main footwear at this point)

Doing exercises (2-3x a day) that doc gave me and remembering some from last THR when I had home PT.

Still having bathroom issues but things are slowly coming along.

Pain is averaging around a 3.

Walking with cane.
 
Sounds like our recoveries are very similar so far @ilovefall, with the exception of outdoor walks. Haven't been out of house since coming home last Thursday, mainly because of the eight steps to get to the living are. No problems last time but if I don't have to go somewhere, why push my luck :). Also, it is raining lots here now so I'll stay on my cozy couch.

Keep up the good work!
 
One week update:

Sleeping at night better!

Surgical bandage removed (incision looks pretty good).

Able to lift leg independently up onto the couch, bed and/or recliner.

Taking short walks outside.

Able to get shower and dress independently (minus socks....hahah indoor/outdoor slippers are my main footwear at this point)

Doing exercises (2-3x a day) that doc gave me and remembering some from last THR when I had home PT.

Still having bathroom issues but things are slowly coming along.

Pain is averaging around a 3.

Walking with cane.
I can get my compression stockings and my socks on and off easily now. The first few days I couldn't get those darn compression socks on by myself. I looked at a picture of my leg back then and no wonder I couldn't get them on because my leg was twice the size as it normally is. Now the stockings have stretched and my legs have shrunk so its easy.[emoji1] [emoji1]
Sounds like you are a real trooper. I am cheering for you!!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom