THR Here we go again...Hip #2 Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very unlikely if you have antibiotics at that even at the lower dose.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Jaycey Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, I'm just a nervous person when it comes to the hips. Now that my fears of infection have been calmed, my fears have now turned to loosening or another problem with it. My doctor's nurse feels it is muscle/tendon related. She's put me on Mobic until my appointment, which is NEXT Wednesday, the 21st. Thanks for tagging @Jamie

@CricketHip thank you for the well wishes. My appointment is next week.
 
(((@ilovefall))) I am sending out good vibes for you that you get some solid answers soon so your mind can be at rest. It's no fun to worry about this stuff.
It's good to remember that our minds are powerful things. We can manifest things through worry. Not to say that you aren't truly feeling the stiffness...but rather that our minds can take common things and make them seem so dire. I am the queen of inventing things to worry about, and the infection risk with our new hips is a big one for me. You're not alone.
Big *Hugs* Hippie Friend. We're all pulling for you.
 
Please try not to worry about your hip. It is not likely that any discomfort you're feeling is the result of your tooth infection. Late onset infections just don't happen that way. It may be that you've irritated some of the soft tissues in your hip to cause the stiffness. Or it may be that you're just worrying about it. But, believe me....if you had infection or loosening, you'd have pain that would be constant and noticeable.

That said....when you have worries like you are experiencing, it always is good to go have things checked out. There is a lot to be said for being able to put your mind at ease. I know a little of what you're experiencing. After my second TKR, I learned that I had a severe pocket of infection below one of my back teeth that was undiscoverable in the xrays I had done before surgery. I waited 6 weeks after the TKR to go to the dentist because the tooth wasn't particularly painful until then. I had a very difficult root canal done and a crown. Even knowing that it was not likely that any of that would impact my new knee, I worried. And it took the longest time to really believe that the dentists got all the infection out. I would find myself thinking the tooth hurt again, that the crown didn't fit right, that the infection was back. But it all eventually settled and I'm sure that is what will happen with your hip too.
 
Thank you so much @Jamie! You guys have eased my mind to help get through to next Wednesday. It really is so strange. The discomfort/pain is replicating the post op pain I had when doing my exercises. Full weight bearing only causes a tightness or (as I always referred to it) "block of wood" feeling. All rotation is pain free. Mostly just extreme tightness or stiffness when lifting knee 90 degrees straight up. I know all hip replacement recoveries are different. But I have to say this anterior approach was overall a harder recovery than the lateral approach I had on my left hip. Just sayin [emoji4].

Everyone please keep the prayers coming. God bless!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Jaycey I'm not doing anything that what I've been doing since my doctor discharged me at 6 months post op. I was referring to the PT exercises post op.

Since my last post, the pain/stiffness/discomfort has somewhat subsided. Best way I can describe it is: when standing, place your hand where your leg and hip meet (at the groin). Lift your knee straight up so leg is at 90 degrees. That tendon you feel pop up when you lift your knee is where the pain/stiffness/discomfort is. It's also sometimes to the right of the incision (anterior). Feels like a giant hard knot in there.

Hoping I get some answers tomorrow. The mind is a powerful thing and it's got me going crazy.
:what:

Thank you @DeepBreath and @Cynthia777.
 
Does icing ease this at all? Hope you get some answers tomorrow. Please update when you can.
 
Hello my BS friends! Good news to report! My hip(s) look great. Doc said my right hip looks perfect. The pain and the discomfort that I've been feeling is muscle/tendon inflammation. He said even though it's been a year the muscles/tendons are still recovering. He said it could simply be a stage of recovery or i could have done something that aggravated them.

He also told me I don't have to pre-medicate before dental procedures. I must have seemed shocked because he said if I choose to medicate that's fine too. [emoji16]

Otherwise, he counted this appointment as my one year checkup so I don't have to go back until next October.

Thank you to everyone that left me kind words, encouragement, prayers and professional opinions. This site has been wonderful for me over the last four years. [emoji173]️[emoji173]️


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great news @ilovefall! Although I've been gone for a bit, you've been in my prayers every day (I have you and a few others on my iPhone reminders). I'm almost 8 months post-op first THR and 5 months since my second THR and I still get an ache or pain here and there. I especially notice pain when I suddenly twist. I read on one OS's site that it actually can take up to two years to be fully healed! Crazy, huh? God Bless!
 
ADVICE PLEASE.......All of a sudden I developed excruciating upper calf pain when walking and go up and down stairs. My knee also seems to be crackling, popping etc. this is all on the right leg (the hip for this thread). I'm terrified there is some type of loosening of the hip prosthetics! This pain is worse sometimes and less sometimes. Any ideas??? I'm sick to my stomach with worry!
 
Hi Diane, oh dear, so the first question that comes to mind is: have you done anything different?
I understand your nervousness but it. Could it be that you took a stumble and didn't really pay it any mind until the pain began? Or started some new exercise?
Or, God forbid, the actual knee Is acting up?
 
Thank you for your reply @CricketHip
No stumble no changes in what I did. Yes there's a chance that the knee is acting up. My PCP feels it's coming from my back. But being a double hippy, I can't help but worry. I wonder if I will ever stop worrying about it every time I have a new issue. I hate being a nervous nelly.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Day 2:

I slept from 8:30-6:30; only waking for the nurse to take vitals. So glad I could sleep because I certainly didn't the night before surgery!

Since yesterday, I've walked the halls (50 feet round trip) 5x since I got to my room yesterday morning.

I've washed my face, brushed my teeth and fixed my insane hair.

Sat in chair about 5 times since yesterday.

I've done my exercises faithfully and am awaiting PT sometime today. After that, I will be discharged to go home.

"Hip hip" Hooray!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom