THR Here we go again...Hip #2 Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 Day Update:

Been walking more. Gait "feels" a little smoother.

Exercises are easier. Straight legs lifts coming along.

Sleeping pretty good at night. Sleeping on non-operated side for small amounts of time throughout the night.

Taking Tylenol during day (Tramadol if needed) and oxycodone at bedtime (with a benedryl....per my doctors advice).

Pain averages around a 2/3.

Showering and dressing independently.

Preparing my own breakfast and helping a little bit at dinner time.

Tomorrow will be my first real outing. :) My parents are taking me to lunch. :)

ADDITIONAL NOTE: blues aren't nearly as bad. My husband told me yesterday he actually saw "Diane" again. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You sound like you have some good advice from your doc and steady progress. I think I would have had better sleep with the benedryl cocktail.

I am happy for you

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That outing may be just the thing to chase those blues away and the benydrl sounds like just the ticket for some much needed sleep.

I didn't go back to look, do you still have staples? If so, when do those come out?

Hang in there! You're moving right along! :yay:

Kristi
 
Yaaay, @ilovefall! It sounds like you are doing great! I hope you enjoy your outing today. Sending good wishes that the blues are all swept away very soon.
My name is Diane as well. :)
 
Oh Lord.....the itching/hives/rash are driving me crazy!!!! Seems that they are primarily on my right side (surgery side). Mostly on my stomach and thigh area.

I'm scared to death that I'm allergic to the prosthetic!!

I'm down to only taking 1 or 2 oxycodone or Tramadol at bedtime. Otherwise it's just Tylenol. Doc added benedryl at bedtime to help with sleeping. Doesn't seem to help the itching though.

Thoughts??????
 
@ilovefall sorry to hear about your itchy hives which must be driving you mad.I developed 3 itchy blister/ hives not on the wound but a few centimetres around it at the margin of where the dressings had been and they were very itchy.I have never been sensitive to any dressing before so like you I was concerned.I rang the district nurse to come out on two occasions to check them and neither of them were concerned.They both said that they had seen other orthopaedic patients with similar conditions post surgery and they cleared up on their own I was reassured.I took an antihistamine for a couple of days and once all the dressings were removed the blisters quickly healed.Have you rang your surgeon's office for advice?
 
@Kim22. I talked to them on Friday when the rash around the incision was bothering me. That seems to have eased up so I was going to call again in a few hours. Stay tuned...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no! Keep us posted. I'd rather have pain than itching .. just me. I tend to claw the skin off where I'm itching.
 
@ilovefall Did you manage to speak to someone and get their advice ?
 
I'm scared to death that I'm allergic to the prosthetic!!
The implant is way below the skin, very deep. If you were allergic you would have a totally different reaction.

I have heard of members who develop itching from their pain meds. Have you been able to discuss this with your OS or GP?
 
I talked to my doctor's staff. They said it's completely unrelated to the prosthetic and/or the liner. They feel it is not related to the meds either. Advised that I would have had symptoms prior to now if it was the meds. Not nearly two weeks later. Never came right out and said it but most likely caused by nerves/emotions.
 
most likely caused by nerves/emotions.
Sounds about right. We all react differently to the trauma of surgery. It's not only physical trauma - emotional too. Hope things are easing for you!
 
Additionally, any thoughts on pain on/in right butt cheek!! Painful to touch. Looks like a bruise has faded but it's REALLY hurting now. Don't recall this happening when I had the left hip done. Thoughts??

(As always thank you all for the input) :)
 
I have that too on and off related to how I sleep or being extra active.
I ice it and do butt crunches and thigh tightening and that helps.

All kinds of different kinks and tweaks happen for me related to level of exercise and If I sit too long . I keep track of what I am doing and make sure I have a range of activity and rest. That helps. I overdid it yesterday and icing as I write!

Sleep well.
 
@ilovefall hello! I think you are doing pretty well with your recovery. That makes me happy. :)
the assortment of itches and pains and tightness seems to move around fairly consistently for the first several weeks.. at least that's been my experience.
I am at 6 weeks today and my main issue is the lateral side of the operative knee. It doesn't slow me down but helps remind me that I am still healing.
Oh and the tightness and stiffness at lateral thigh.
I don't think a day goes by that I don't marvel at the lack on bone on bone pain in hip joint, though. so grateful!

Best of luck to you, I hope you have a wonderful week ahead of you. :loveshwr:
 
@ilovefall, I'm sorry to hear about the itchies. That is no fun for sure. Aside from my weird rash/peeling I have with every surgery, I also had various odd itchy phases. I thought everything had calmed down and decided to mow my legs. Holy Cow. I itched SO badly the next couple of days after that.
I have found that Gold Bond Rapid Relief Anti-Itch Cream and Gold Bond Intensive Healing Anti-Itch Skin Protectant are both great for those itchy break outs.
It sounds like you're doing great with your recovery! Sending continued healing vibes your way. :)
 
:friends:
Additionally, any thoughts on pain on/in right butt cheek!! Painful to touch. Looks like a bruise has faded but it's REALLY hurting now. Don't recall this happening when I had the left hip done. Thoughts??

(As always thank you all for the input) :)

Dear Ilovefall. I'm wishing a better day for you. I don't have any good advice to give you, just know I'm going to keep you in my prayers. Does it hurt to lean? Maybe sit on some pillows? Your whole body has gone through a trauma. :flwrysmile:
 
Two Weeks Post Op:

Strength is returning!

Able to do straight leg lift to about 30 degrees! Can do about 4 before resting.

Walking w/o cane around house.

Showering and dressing independantly w/o assistance.

Getting in and out of car w/o assistance.

Going on small outings.

Beginning to assist in cooking family meals.

Taking three short walks a day outside. Feeling stronger everyday.

Sleeping is ok at night. Lower back hurts from laying on it. Sleeping on non-operated side a few times throughout the night.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom