THR Here we go again...Hip #2 Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that it stops when you get up could it be pinched nerve or some other pain related to sleeping position? For me it was the lower back and then neck and shoulder pains.

All the suggestions about pillows were what I did and it helped. Major need was for me to support my butt from the back so that it was not pulling down on my spine.
At five weeks now that is no longer a need but at three weeks it was crucial.

As I lay on unoperated side I had two pillows between my legs end to end from groin to past foot. Then I had pillows at my back and under my butt to assure I was not straining to stay level or roll backward..my spine needed to be at rest.
Melatonin before finally was what worked to get me more relaxed sleep.


Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
@ilovefall, I'm so sorry your back is giving you such fits. It sure doesn't take much to get it out of whack and when your back hurts, everything hurts.
I'm sending good vibes that you find a good sleeping solution and can alleviate that pain. *Hugs*
 
Four Week Update:

Doc said XRays looked good.

Walking 100% without assistance.

Cleared from all restrictions with the exception.... "If it hurts don't do it! Use common sense."

I advised about my weird knee pain and back pain on the operated side. Was advised that the dislocation was a rough one and they aren't surprised I'm having residual knee pain and believe it caused sciatica to act up. Sending me for outpatient PT to stretch and restrengthen.

Off blood thinner and can go back to using Advil YEY!!

Was complimented on how well I'm walking unaided and was given a big pat on the back. :)

Have to go back at 6 months.

Thanks everyone!!!
 
Great update @ilovefall ! Sounds like you are right on track for getting your life back. Enjoy that new hip!
 
Your healing sounds great.....I am happy for you @ilovefall . You help me understand something. When the doc went in to do my hip he had said there was some dislocation of my hip and that's why it hurts so much preop. I wonder if that's one of the reasons why I had knee pain before and Y now at six weeks the knee pain is coming back again as I exercise more and take steps more and more. The body must be learning how to take my strides in a different way.
[Bonesmart.org] Here we go again...Hip #2 Recovery


Time for a walk. I am going to look for my own beautiful road...
 
@hippywoman I have no clue if we are the same but when the OS told me I need both hips replaced do to degeneration of the joint I asked him if I was going to need knee done too cause it hurt as bad as hip! He replied nothing wrong with knee it is (I think he called it) transient pain, it was actualy hip pain.. I'd ask your Doc for he would know best... But yes you now have a new gate then pre op I am sure your body is getting used to

2 THR19th August 2015 2ND un scheduled
pin left leg 2012
spinal fusion L4-L5 L5-S1 2010
 
My doc said knee was transient too

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
Hi everyone. I need a little advice....

I'm worried I have a LLD on my new hip side. From having the other hip done, I know it can take a little while to feel it's not different. However, I'm 5 weeks post op and when sitting in the recliner it is obvious that my operated leg is a little longer. While standing it still feels longer too.

Thoughts and suggestions on an approximate time frame for this to straighten out. Knowing everyone's different, I just want an idea or suggestion so I stop worrying and stressing over it.

Thank you!! :)
 
Lld? Hmm my first hip felt longer for almost a year as the muscles and my spine adjusted to being normal. Did your doc measure you and xray you at follow up? Mine did first and second hip at my 6 week. I was even first hip though it felt off.
I would wait to worry after xray OK not worry just adapt when you have more knowledge.


Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 
My right leg felt longer for a few weeks and I kept getting back aches. As leg became stronger and pelvis adjusted (it had been tilted because of cartilage loss), everything seemed to even and level out. You could check with OS just for peace of mind though (I would - grin!).

Kristi
 
Thank you for your responses. @hippywoman and @kktoland :)

OS has said everything is even and it should work it's way out. Like I said it's just a little different this time than last. Oddly enough, my back went out on Saturday. I didn't do anything to make it happen. Just leaned to talk to my friend. (It's happened like this before). I'm assuming everything in that area (hips, pelvis, back) is just so traumatized. Hoping it all levels out soon.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You should wait 3-4 months for the LLD to level out. Sounds like your pelvis may still be tilted if you are having back issues. Your OS can take a measurement off your x-ray to confirm any LLD. Or a good PT or podiatrist can also do this.
 
@Jaycey will the pelvic tilt go away or is this something that I have always had and have to deal with? I've always had a bad back (herniated discs, arthritis, etc) and it tends to go out every now and then.

I'm worried. :(
 
Most everyone who has THR walks all wrong pre-op trying to stay off that bad hip. This can cause your pelvis to tilt slightly - especially if you limp around for a period of time. Post op many people report back problems as the pelvis is balancing back where it should be. Please don't worry. This can take a bit of time to resolve.
 
Hi Everyone!

7 week update:

  • Back to work fulltime (mostly desk job).
  • Sleeping finally getting better. Sleeping on both my sides. Operated side hurts after about an hour and then I roll over to non-operated side and I'm good there for few a hours, so on and so forth. Oh it will be heaven when the day comes that I climb in bed and don't wake up again until morning. Everyday brings me one day closer. :) @ agirlcanhope
  • Stiffness in leg subsiding at times and other times it's worse; which I know is part of recovery.
  • Back pain.....Finally my back pain (from it going "out" two weeks ago) is starting to subside. I truly believe my back went out because it is my right hip that I had replacement and that is my primary side. I always step first with that leg, etc., and with my walking, etc., being off, it's completely thrown my body for a loop. Fortunately, it seems to be falling into place and I pray now that both of my hips have been replaced, maybe my pelvis is sitting correctly and I won't have my back "going out" as much as it did before! @ fingerscrossed
  • My leg length difference is slowly straightening itself out.
  • I was actually able to put my sock on without any aid. This, as we all know, is a major accomplishment! ;-)
  • Knee pain on operated leg (doc claimed the extra knee pain was due to dislocation being difficult) is subsiding.
  • Outpatient PT is going well. Two weeks remaining. By far, my favorite part is when they stretch me! ahhh
As always, thank you BS friends for listening and sharing your advice and stories!!! Good luck to everyone!
 
Great update @ilovefall ! It all happens with a bit of patience. And the good news is you will continue to see improvement. Well done!
 
@ilovefall, what a wonderful update! I'm so glad to read about your advances. Wow, the thought of being able to put on my socks without a sock aid is just mind blowing. I'm so happy you can do that. It gives me hope!
Awesome news about you sleeping better.
Good vibes flowing that the back issues subside completely and that you continue these wonderful upward gains!
 
@ilovefall Congratulations on a wonderful update.You are doing so well and I am well impressed about the socks ! Great news that the back and knee are sorted and that you no like longer have an issue with LLD.
 
Happy New Year BS Friends!

11 week update:

For the most part, I'm doing well. I still feel a lot of heaviness and stiffness on my operated side. This hip replacement recovery is definitely harder than the last. Not sure if it is because......
**this side is my predominant (I'm right handed) side and therefore step first with this side
**this side had the anterior approach (left side had the side approach)

Regardless of the cause, it's frustrating because I was much stronger and healthier going into this surgery. Seems like this side is taking longer for me to feel comfortable. I sleep, but I wake up several time with pain and stiffness in the new hip/leg. I also still feel as though I limp. I'm told by my family that they don't see a limp, but I feel one. I'm finally not feeling the LLD as much. That's getting better!

Just not in a good place right now. I'm heading on a cruise in 3 1/2 weeks and I really want to relax and enjoy myself. Docs all assure me that everything's going well. Just wish I was feeling it! :( @ feelingfrustrated
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom