Revision TKR HELP - 16 months out and in pain<

I agree with referee 54!
That PT place is terrible. You're right not to go back there.

Meanwhile, until you find a new (and better) PT facility, just continue with the exercises you've been doing at home. Those, and walking around a bit, are really all you need right now anyway.
 
I am not sure where you live---around here, there are many, many PT centers, but we are all at the mercy of what your insurance will accept.

I would call somebody with your insurance and talk to them--perhaps they can give you insight as to where another PT center might be that will treat you as you should be treated.

Document what happened and carefully explain how disappointed you were with not only how you were treated, but also the lack of respect and attention that you deserve.
 
It is also important to remember that those PT folks work for you---not the other way around---and it seemed like they did not want your employment opportunities!
 
Oh no! They were so disrespectful. I am so sorry you had to deal with this. There will be someplace else that will work out and treat you as you deserve. On another note, yay for going off the Lovenox. I was on it a couple years ago for a blood clot in my lower leg for 3 weeks. I celebrated when I was off that stuff.
Kelly
 
Agree that you should look for a better and more professional pt provider. Can't imagine that they would treat a client like that -- from drop off thru the manager. There are so many great pt providers near us. Two colleges here offer pt degrees so the staff are seem so current and focused. Hope you find someone who is focused on your success.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
My PT group was in the same building/offices as my OS, so they were great! The even did all my paperwork and diagnostic work with me sitting on a PT table, leg up. Make some phone calls tomorrow, someone better is out there.
 
I suggest you call then insurance company and tell them you want to complain about that place. Did anyone recommend this place to you? The insurance company can give you the names of a few places near you. Maybe your OS office can point you in another direction. If they told you about this place I would let them know about it too. I hope you find another one that works for you.
 
Had my 6 week post-op appt with OS on Friday - he's very pleased with my recovery. I'll be going back to him in 2 months. I am also very pleased - in theory - but I am SO tired of being so tired all the time. I went out to a store yesterday to buy a few things for Thanksgiving. I was on my feet for maybe 45 minutes, all told. I was then completely exhausted and my knees are swollen and achey today.

I can go up the stairs foot over foot (not like a toddler) and do it very slowly down the stairs, also. I'm still using a cane, but can walk around a room without it. I can make meals and feed the animals (except the horses), but I'm still housebound and getting crankier and crankier.

Oh, and I also have to concentrate quite hard to walk with my body straight and not "waddle" from one side to the other when walking. Anyone else have that? For some reason that's my default gait and if I forget for a second I fall back into that.

Yup, one big whine today from me. But I really hope all my BoneSmart buddies are doing well!!
 
My gait was different after my TKR so I took the advice of others on this forum and went to a running store to get some sneakers for work and also off duty ones. I wore my old sneakers and they measured my feet and looked at how my feet and legs were now that it's much more straightened then before. She examined my old sneakers too and then made some suggestions for me. My gait is better now. This might help you too.

As far as the tiredness I'm not sure how long it takes to go away completely. I'm very slowly getting more stamina but there was nothing I could do to hurry it along. I still have days when all I seem to do is sleep.
 
Had my 6 week post-op appt with OS on Friday - he's very pleased with my recovery. I'll be going back to him in 2 months. I am also very pleased - in theory - but I am SO tired of being so tired all the time. I went out to a store yesterday to buy a few things for Thanksgiving. I was on my feet for maybe 45 minutes, all told. I was then completely exhausted and my knees are swollen and achey today.
. . . . . . .. .
Oh, and I also have to concentrate quite hard to walk with my body straight and not "waddle" from one side to the other when walking. Anyone else have that? For some reason that's my default gait and if I forget for a second I fall back into that.
I'm glad your check up with your OS went well.

I'm afraid the tiredness is going to longer fora while yet. it happens because most of your body's energy is being directed towards healing your knees, and there isn't much energy left for anything else. This article explains it:
Energy drain for TKRs
For you, even more energy is being used on healing, because you had both knees done.

Although it doesn't happen most of the time, I still tend to waddle when I'm tired. Just like you, I then have to concentrate hard, so I don't waddle. For me, it's an indicator - "OK girl, you've done enough. It's time for a rest!"
 
Thank you for posting this @Scheherazade. I am almost 4 weeks and cannot believe how tired I am. I was starting to think there was something wrong with me. Like you I am sick of it.
I am glad you are doing well.
Happy Thanksgiving!!
 
Thank you @newlybionic, Celle and Glamg1979 for responding. I guess relearning to walk (on new knees) isn't easy and fatigue is to be expected for a long time.:bored:Sigh. Plus, the whole working harder will only set you further back is very hard to deal with. :thud: Here's hoping I'm more cheery in my next post!
 
Hi Scheherazade,
I've edited out a couple of tags in your post. Multiple tagging like that causes a few problems for people viewing on phones and some tablets.
The second part of this article explains it:
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If the people you wanted to tag have been posting on your thread recently, they'll be following your progress anyway, so they'll see your post and you don't need to tag them.
 
Hi...new to Bonesmart...loved reading about your journey. My BTKR is Dec 1 and it was so encouraging to hear from you. Was wondering about how long it was until you ventured outside, even for like a car ride after surgery? I know I'm going to be housebound for awhile but it sure would be nice to get out to see Christmas lights. Can't wait to be on the other side.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi ScooperTR and welcome to the very best possible source of info about having this surgery and managing your life for the next few months!

If your recovery is like mine was, you should be able to handle a few short car rides to see the lights by Christmas, but I wouldn't count on any strolls around the neighborhood. My husband just took me on a 20 minute drive last week, and I think it was the longest trip I've had yet. It took me several weeks before I could comfortably bend my knees enough to get in the car relatively easily.

This recovery really, truly is a long, slow slog, but when you are past the hump, the whole rest of your life will be better! Make the most of this forum, it is a treasure trove. If you have any more specific questions, please ask. It's nice to have buddies and to be a buddy here.
 
@ScooperTR I was out and driving at 2 weeks. I had my left knee done and wasn't on pain meds( I wouldn't recommend that. I was sick because of them)
 
Just over seven weeks out and I'm still exhausted much of the time. I still need naps during the day and I still can't stand for more than 5 minutes straight without feeling weary and achey. I can walk without a cane in the house, but it's not a smooth gait. I know I'm still healing, but I really thought - especially given how well I was doing out of the starting gate - that I'd be further along by now.

I did not go back to any outpatient PT and do exercises at home. I think my ROM is pretty good - the OS was pleased, but the exhaustion and the wobbly-Frankenstein gate are dreadful. No question in my mind that I had to have the surgery, but I did think I'd be further along.

Hope others are feeling more cheerful, and hope everyone in the U.S. had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
 
I think this recovery is the most surprising thing about having total knee replacement. We all know the surgery is going to be tough considering what is done to your body, but with modern medicine, we are all accustomed to "getting back to life" much more quickly. Patience and perserverance is the key. Maybe throw in some prayer too! Hang in there - life is worth it.
 
I was exhausted at 12 weeks when I went back to work part time. The exhaustion seemed to last longer than the knee pain for me, I thought it was due to my infection. My OS originally suggested not going back to work for 3 months, but I thought I could go back earlier. That didn't happen!
PT was good for helping me work on my gait. The therapist put me on a treadmill at the lowest setting to watch me walk, then made suggestions on my gait. I would practice at every pt session and at home. It is a whole new way of holding myself, posture and heel/toe walking, but sometimes using the cane gave me just the right amount of support to straighten my walk.
 
I think I had in my mind that I should be at certain milestones that I set arbitraliary. It did not go according to my plan. I didn't take into account that I wasn't 20 anymore and that my knee having been damaged before the surgery caused my muscles, tendons and ligaments to no longer be where they should be once my new knee was completed. It does help to see all the people on this forum who are ahead of me having great outcomes. It took me a while to build up stamina. It has been a a slow start steady increase with some starts and stops. I'm sure that you will continue to see improvement as time goes by.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom