Revision TKR HELP - 16 months out and in pain<

I remembered that we were both bilaterals and a day apart but I didn't remember you were also from Pennsylvania. I'm from outside Harrisburg so am close by.

When I had my first monster bursa on the left knee, I went to the OS twice but it was at Christmas and they only had physician assistants working who said it was bursitis and gave me scrips to bring down the swelling and for pain. Then we left for 3 months in Florida. After 4 more weeks of no relief, I searched on line and read advice to go to an OS to have fluid from the bursa aspirated or have the bursa removed. I didn't trust anyone in Florida to stick a needle in my knee so I just kept icing and elevating and not doing much. Finally it got better but now different bursa sacs pop up then subside whenever I dance or exercise. Maybe since yours was more permanent like my first one was in the beginning, aspiration was appropriate. But since mine pop up and subside, my OS is letting them go. It was comforting to hear your OS say this happens sometimes as a result of knee replacements. Perhaps a sensitivity or adaptability issue. We're still getting used to each other.
 
I'm now 16 months post-BTKR and feeling desperate. Although my knees were feeling okay by about the one year mark, they've begun hurting again. Now both knees hurt almost always when I walk. The right knee hurts worse (I have to wear a brace if I'm walking any distance), but my left leg has occasionally been very swollen and then last week my left knee swelled up and it became very painful - not at my knee, but more towards the inside and slightly above. After a few days it became black and blue, but I absolutely did not hit or bang it. I feel like I'm going crazy. Any thoughts?
 
Scherazade,
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your knees. Reading your history it seems you have had challenges all along.
Have you sought a second opinion? You will want to search for an OS that specializes in revisions, they have the background and education to determine what is going on with troubled knees.
What you are experiencing is not normal and needs to be investigated. Do not let anyone brush you off.
You are not going crazy, you have very real symptoms that deserve a full work up and physical examination.

For now Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate on schedule as prescribed or follow the instructions on OTC medications.

I am going to tag @Jamie , she can assist you finding a revision specialist near your area.
 
So sorry to hear your problems have continued. You'll notice that I merged your latest thread in with your original recovery thread (leaving your new title). It's important to have your knee history handy as you did have a few problems after a really great beginning.

One question.....you had your right knee aspirated months ago. What happened between then and now other than the most recent events you've written about? Did the fluid come back? Did you have pain or that heavy feeling for a while? Tell me a little more about what went on once the problems started.

I do agree that you need to see a revision specialist. If you need help locating one, just let me know and I'll do some research for you to see who is available in or near Philadelphia.
 
I have had that heavy feeling in both knees for a few weeks. But the swelling and tight, pulling feeling in my left knee is less than a week old. I returned from a very long (11 hours) plane ride in the past week, but was able to sleep with my legs up almost the whole time.
 
The plane ride may be the problem then....or at least part of it. Sitting (or lying sleeping) for that long a period of time is rough on anyone, but especially on new knees. You should be getting up and walking around every so often.

However, I still think you need to see someone because of the unexplained bruising on your one knee. If you don't want to search out a revision specialist right now, at least make an appointment with your previous surgeon or your GP.
 
Scheherazade, sorry to hear your BTKR pain has continued. You and I were BTKR Feisties a day apart and both from PA. If you don't hear of a good revision OS in Philadelphia, let me know and I'll ask my OS's group for a recommendation. Since our cities our so close, they may have a good knowledge of OS's capabilities in Philadelphia.

To share an update on my knees, I continued to have stabbing pain in my left knee up until this fall when I had my left hip replaced. My OS had recommended that I replace my hips before my knees, but my knees hurt too badly. Best wishes that you find a solution soon.
 
Oh dear. Boy, I just cannot imagine going through more major surgery so soon after having the BTKR, BusterBeans. I guess I will have to start reading up on revisions. I actually feared that perhaps it was a blood clot/DVT, but it's taken me over a week to have an ultrasound/dopplers which is finally scheduled for today. At this point, though, had it been a DVT any horrible aftermath would have already happened. I really am frustrated. It seems as though, other than through BoneSmart, I'm the only one I know of for whom knee replacements haven't worked.
 
Had a doppler ultrasound today. Good news: no blood clots, my veins look "beautiful." Bad news: lots of inflammation around my knee, which the technician said should not still be there so long after the surgery. She said that it looks as though my body is still fighting the replacements. HUH? She suggested I go back to the OS and ask him what is going on. To be continued.....
 
There are lots of reasons for troubled knees, poor alignment of the prosthesis, flexion instability, infection, cement failure, or metal allergy, etc. Best you see your surgeon for his opinion, and start looking for a second opinion.
@Jamie has offered to help.
 
If you tell Jamie your post code, she may be able to suggest suitable surgeons in your area.
 
@Jamie my zip code is 19072. I have already made an appointment with my OS and am hoping someone can recommend a revision specialist in my area (I asked earlier today.) Thanks everyone.
 
Good luck! I"m glad you got the doppler done when you said bruising after an 11 hour plane ride I though "oh darn I bet she has a blood clot". So glad I was wrong.

So frustrating isn't it. I'm only 2 months out, so really can't complain, but my pain was not constant before I did this and in fact Morning of the surger knee wasn't bothering me at all. I hope some day I get to the place that my knee hurts less post surgery than it did before.

I really hope you find a solution soon. When is you apt. With your OS?

My inlaws are near Philly btw. In Yardley and BIL works in a school in Philly.
 
Hi Carol Anne,

My appt with my OS is early Friday morning. I hope he'll be helpful. When I saw him for my 1 yr checkup I told him I thought I'd be further along and he just kind of shrugged and said - "well, no, that's probably it." And I've regressed since then. It must mean there is a problem - I can't believe I went through all this trauma and pain just to be as non-mobile and in pain as I was before the surgery. But most people are very happy with their results, so mine is an anomaly. Wishing you a fantastic recovery and a freedom from knee-pain future!

By the way, some of my kids went to school in Yardley - it's a lovely area.
 
I took a look at the surgeons at the Rothman Institute (1-800-321-9999) and found a couple of possibilities for you to check out:

Dr. John Abraham
Dr. Michael Harrer
Dr. Eric Smith
Dr. Jeffrey Vakil

I do know of this revision specialist in Pittsburg, if you are willing to drive:

broken link removed: https://www.upmc.com/services/orthopaedics/experts/pages/joint-replacement-experts.aspx
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center

Knee and hip revisions.
 
So sorry to hear you are having problems I had bilateral 12/8/16
I do get stiffness if I keep them one way too long like sitting, laying with them straight out
I swim at the YMCA 3 times a week My prayers are with you that OS can get you results .


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
If you don't find an OS in Phylly you don't like I have one that is in Allentown that did my revision and I can't be happier. He trained at the Unniversity of PA out in Pittsburgh. If you want his name, let me know.
 
Hi everyone -

I saw my OS yesterday. More X-rays were taken and he said they look perfect. But he saw how concerned we were (my husband came, as he does with all appointments - not having been present both times when I received cancer news, he tries to always come when I have a serious dr appt) and said both knees looked kind of swollen. He took out about 10 cc's of fluid from each knee (which isn't that much, right?). The bruising around the inner side of my left knee and thigh no one has been able to explain, but because the very tight feeling and pain has been ongoing and increasing for many months already made him consider an allergy to something in the replacements. My replacements do contain nickel, which I understand is often the problem WHEN someone has an allergy to something in the replacements.

As for the swelling and pain, it is definitely not from "overdoing it," which I know from reading Bonesmart threads is often the culprit. If anything, my activities are more limited than they have been at any time in my life, up until right before the surgery. I have pain just going up and down stairs and any walking beyond half a block.

Strangely, I was doing really pretty well in June and July last summer. The recovery was slow and annoying until then (which was the 9 and 10 month mark), and then sometime starting in August or September my knees began to bother me and severely limit my normal daily activity.:thud:

So I will have the blood test to see if I am having an allergic reaction to something in the implants. The idea of having to have them removed and new ones put it, and going through the whole process again, is beyond daunting. But what also really scares me is if they find that I DON'T have an allergy, that there is no explanation for the pain and swelling (I feel the tightness/pain in the front of my knees even today, after having fluid removed yesterday) and it is something I will just have forever or take steroids whenever I can chance it.:sigh:

Any ideas for some other explanation than an allergic reaction? The OS agreed to send the fluid taken from my knees for analysis, even though he said the fluid was clear. My regular doctor insisted he do that to make sure there was no infection, but OS is certain there is none.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom