Revision TKR HELP - 16 months out and in pain<

Thank you @Scheherazade, I had a very nice Thanksgiving. My son hosted at his house and I barely moved from his wonderful recliner. But of course I was wiped out the next day! I understand your frustration at the fatigue, I am starting to feel guilty that at 4 weeks I am really not up to doing much. My hubby has to keep reminding me that is all normal in the recovery of a total knee.
I think how slow this process has been is the hardest and my recovery has been excellent... just slower than what I want.
I have good days and bad ones too. Hope you are having a good day today.
 
Hi folks,

Four months out now and my knees, right one in particular, still aches by the middle of the day, and just gets worse as the day goes on. The first hour or so of each day is relatively okay, but after that even sitting in a chair for more than a half hour is uncomfortable, and increasingly so. My ROM and my flexion are both good, I'm walking without walker or cane, but I'm really surprised by how limited I still am.

Any thoughts?
 
I think you're fine when we consider this can be a year long recovery. I was still using a cane at 4 months because my leg/knee would get achy/tired and I only had a RTKR.
 
I agree with KarriB.

I can't remember when my knee stopped hurting from sitting too long. But I do remember how at the end of the day, my knee would be more sore than at the beginning of the day. Sometimes that still holds true, depending on my exercise level, and I'm nearly 7 months post-op. I also know that as my activity level picked up the knee soreness increased during the day to the point I iced at night. At four months, particularly if you are working and becoming more active, I would expect that your knee would be more sore as the day progresses. One thing I did, having a desk job, is to get up and walk around every 45 minutes so my knee wouldn't get so stiff. That is a non-issue at 7 months. I can sit all day at my desk without discomfort.

I too have been amazed at how long the recovery is. While I feel I am nearly there now (still have some issues going down stairs), I thought I would be where I am now at three or four months post-op. I also start to focus on what's still not right with my knee as those anniversaries approach. Even though people have said not to set goals, I am very goal oriented. I thought for sure that by 5 months, then 6 months, and now 7 months, stairs would be a non-issue. Stairs are getting better. It's just taking time.

My OS has showed me my x-rays, which look fantastic, so I know nothing is wrong with the implant, kneecap tracking, and alignment. In my case, it's the soft tissue healing and adjustment to the new alignment that is taking time--much longer than I ever imagined.

Be patient. It will come.
 
I won't be 4 months until the 28th of the month. Like you I have excellent ROM but as my activity level increases I find at night my knee and the muscles involved are quite uncomfortable! I cannot stand for long periods of time because knee will start hurting. So my days are periods of activity followed by a rest period. Actually your post was very helpful because it validates that my recovery is on target. Hang in there, we will be happy about all of this in about 8 months!!
 
Mine is the same. Great mobility but still sore after activities. Still aware of knees most of the time
I'm impatient. Seeing my doc for 3 mo. Check on rt. He originally told me to give it 3 months before expecting anything great.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
Yep, six months before I felt able to do some normal things without my knee talking back.
 
I can empathize with you Scheherazade... In my 3rd month, I was coming along pretty well, but then my PT over-flexed my left knee and I began experiencing the most pain I'd had since the surgery! I had to always rely on a cane, and after just a brief time walking I would be in such pain I couldn't bear ANY weight on that knee. After no relief for a very discouraging 3 & 1/2 weeks my husband and I decided to do a full-on concentration of icing & elevating... I would ice (cryo-cuffs) for several hours, several times a day, and do major elevation of my legs, keeping my activity to a minimum, for three straight days. Don't know if it was a fluke, or just the perfect treatment, but the 4th day was the BEST day I'd had since surgery!! My knees were DRAMATICALLY improved, and have continued better since then. I am now 4 & 1/2 months out, and have some stiffness in the mornings and after a lot of walking, but am taking stairs well - one after the other, up and down - and am feeling the most positive, since surgery, about my recovery!
I hope you can get to that point before too long. I, too, have had to do a major mental readjustment in my timeline expectations! Your knees have their own timeline, and mine have even switched, as far as which one is most problematic at any particular time. Go figure!!
Hang in there! Better days will come!!
 
Scheherazade, I thought I was the only one who was still having discomfort and pain after 4-1/2 months. Other people kept telling me they were pain free after 3 months and I wondered what I was doing wrong or worse what was wrong with my (bilateral) knees. After reading everyone's comments, maybe we're expecting too much too early.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@BusterBeans and @Scheherazade - I think people who tell you they were pain free at 3 months have probably forgotten a bit - just as you forget the pain of childbirth. Don't feel discouraged by them and try not to listen to them.
While there are a few who have very quick and easy recoveries, they are in a minority. Most of us still have niggles and reminders from the knee for much longer. I think it was about 6 months before I took my last Tylenol for knee pain.
 
Thank you for this. I appreciate it. Think you are right.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
Other people kept telling me they were pain free after 3 months and I wondered what I was doing wrong or worse what was wrong with my (bilateral) knees.
Nope---I was still stiff and sore for quite some time---it took five months to lose a limp and it was not until around eight months or so that I would say that I was really close to being 100% and pain-free.
 
Celle and Referee, if physical activity (like Silver Sneakers classes) which is pretty low impact cause soreness and yes some pain, is that part of rebuilding your muscles and you should keep doing it?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Celle and Referee, if physical activity (like Silver Sneakers classes) which is pretty low impact cause soreness and yes some pain, is that part of rebuilding your muscles and you should keep doing it?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
After nearly seven months post-surgery I had an appointment with my OS this morning. Despite an initial amazingly fast recovery, I was stuck moving along slowly from about 4 months out. True, I was walking without an assistive device, but I was dra-a-a-agging and my right knee felt very tight; I was conscious of it every step I took. I was tired of people telling me I really had to continue to follow through with my physical therapy (both because I knew from Josephine and the general Bonesmart mantra of PT being often the problem, not the answer, and also because my legs are incredibly strong and have been so before the surgery and since shortly after the surgery.)

Anyway, I almost canceled my appointment this morning because I was so sure the doctor was going to tell me I should be happy where I am and a full recovery takes up to a full year. But instead he told me there was quite a bit of fluid in my right knee (the left, which was the real problem before the surgery, has been fine). He then aspirated over 25ccs of fluid! Yay! Actually, it hurt like heck when he did it, but the tightness is almost entirely gone. I hope it stays this way.

Just wanted to share this if folks are experiencing similar discomfort despite strong muscles and more than enough PT!
 
That's lot of fluid to have in the small space of your knee joint. No wonder you were stiff and sore! Did he send the fluid away for testing?
I hope the fluid stays away now.

Treat your knee extra gently for the next little while.
 
Scheherazade, I'm glad you have an answer to why your one knee wasn't improving despite all your efforts and now you can move forward. Was the fluid your surgeon drained from a bursa? Was the tightness you described always there or did it occur after exercise and slowly dissipate afterwards only to reappear again after exercise?I've been plagued with bursitis caused by overzealous PTists for the past 5 months. Because mine comes and goes with exercise, my surgeon says I need to be patient because BTKRs take 12 months for recovery... But I have that tightness, swelling and discomfort you describe and am frustrated. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
 
Hmm. I don't know exactly why there was so much fluid buildup. When I asked the OS why there was so much fluid, he responded: "because you had your knee joints replaced - that happens, sometimes." Not exactly helpful. And I saw him put the vial in the Sharps box, so I know he did not send it out for testing. What I do know is that I've had that tight feeling for a long time, not just when exercising, although it does seem to get worse when I am doing things, including exercising, that put some stress on the knees. I'm not sure how helpful this is. I also don't know what I am supposed to do if the fluid builds up again. I can't just keep going to get it aspirated. Primarily because it hurt like heck! I also know that I did have scar tissue that was giving me a problem in that same knee. When the PTist did friction massage it felt/hurt/felt much better.

We had our surgery a day apart, did you remember that? Also, we're both in Pennsylvania (I'm just outside of Philly, where are you?) I'm hoping we're both feeling much better soon!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom