Revision TKR HELP - 16 months out and in pain<

I used our elliptical following my TKRs but not at 3 weeks post surgery. I didn't use it until my PT said it was fine to do so; using it too early might slow down your recovery (in my opinion anyway).
 
It is on my list of approved things to do . I have used mine but not until about 8 weeks and very slow ! But my ROM was only 90 then .
 
I will tell you that using an elliptical machine too early can cause some not-so-nice issues. Too much movement, too soon.

I can hop on one for an hour or so, now, but I was only allowed to get on one over a year after my BTKR.

I would stick to riding a bike at this stage of recovery---you will cause yourself more issues if you hop on an elliptical at this stage in your recovery.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I also merged both of your recovery threads, as per forum regulations---only one recovery thread per member.

The reason for this is that it is much easier for us to see where you have been, what issues you may have had, what you are doing, what you are going through, and such if there is only one recovery thread---we do not have to bounce back and forth between recovery thread,s and you will not receive duplicate posts.

Thanks for your understanding!

Tim C.
 
I finally managed to climb onto our elliptical a few weeks ago. Man is it ever high up! I did about two minutes then collapsed in a sweaty heap. Seems that my knee can handle it but the rest of my body can't!
 
@Scheherazade sounds like you are making good progress. Good call on rethinking covering the the story on an international figure. Know that was a hard call to make. Being a journalist must be a very interesting job, have always wished I could write for a living. How about The Great American Novel, have you written it yet? :type:
 
I finally managed to climb onto our elliptical a few weeks ago. Man is it ever high up! I did about two minutes then collapsed in a sweaty heap. Seems that my knee can handle it but the rest of my body can't!
Sounds like it could be, after approval from OS, but only if the rest of the body is ready!
 
I also merged both of your recovery threads, as per forum regulations---only one recovery thread per member.

The reason for this is that it is much easier for us to see where you have been, what issues you may have had, what you are doing, what you are going through, and such if there is only one recovery thread---we do not have to bounce back and forth between recovery thread,s and you will not receive duplicate posts.

Thanks for your understanding!

Tim C.
Okay, my bad. I thought it would be better for people to see the specific issue, as most people with this info may very well not be reading a generic thread titled "Scheherazade Survived." I think that's a flaw (having a single thread in which to post all issues raised post-surgery) in the system, although it probably is better than any of the alternatives.
 
@Scheherazade sounds like you are making good progress. Good call on rethinking covering the the story on an international figure. Know that was a hard call to make. Being a journalist must be a very interesting job, have always wished I could write for a living. How about The Great American Novel, have you written it yet? :type:
It is an amazing job, although truth be told I would make more money if I babysat!:hairpulling: But it is fascinating and I love doing the research, the interviews, and educating the readers.

I could never write a novel - not enough imagination. Love to read, though!
 
I thought it would be better for people to see the specific issue, as most people with this info may very well not be reading a generic thread titled "Scheherazade Survived."
We can change your thread title, if you'd like. Just tell us what you'd like and we'll get it changed for you.

If you have a new question, just tag one of the Moderators or Advisers and it will be answered.
 
Scherazade I'm doing fairly well at the moment. I went to surgeon this week with complaints of increased pain and lost of ROM. I'm taking NSAID now and told to lay off PT until I see him in 2 weeks. Las therapy was Monday. I'm actually feeling much better!! I was working so hard at getting better I actually got worse!!! Fell for the old saying no pain no gain.:loll:
 
I was working so hard at getting better I actually got worse!!!
Well-worded---it is contrary to what we think will work---and it is contrary to what we have been taught since we were little---the value of hard work---but hard work has no place in a TKR recovery---working smarter and listening to one's body (the knee!!) is paramount.

Think of this---even world-class athletes take days off---not only do they need it physically, but they also need it psychologically, too.

Now consider the fact that we have undergone a tremendously traumatic surgery, and the knee has been devastated---if an athlete would take time off---and they are in prime condition and perfectly fit---shouldn't it stand to reason that we do pretty much the same thing---seeing how we have just had two bones sawed off, pounding, filing, gluing and such done to our knee or our knees?
 
Congrats on such a speedy recovery. Remember to be kind to yourself, and don't judge too harshly on your off days.
 
Hi, just reading your thread for the first time. I, too, am a journalist, although these days I call myself a writer/editor. I too started working my second week post-op (a little), and ramped up from there. My first off-site interview was 6 weeks out and I was really nervous about whether there would be steps, etc. The more pressing reason I am checking in, though, is because your avatar looks just like my cat Mugs, who passed 2 years ago from cancer. Congrats on your revovery, which sounds like it is going really well.
 
Hi there @Wanttobebiking. I do think that for quite some time I will be thinking about the physical setups of all places I need to be for work or anything else. Stairs? Narrow aisles? etc.

I went to a non-work related event tonight and I had to go to the bathroom. Well, of course the toilets are very low and it was not a delight trying to get up. But that's because I'm such a goof - it never occurred to me to go in the stall for the disabled!

The cat in my avatar is named Felix. She came home with me from Israel last year and has taken over the second floor of my house - she won't let any of the dogs in our (her?) bedroom! So sorry for your loss of Mugs. I am a huge animal lover and the loss of every one of my four-legged companions has been so painful.
 
I was a vet tech before I became a journalist and I do a lot of writing in veterinary medicine. Those handicapped stalls are fantastic but old buildings don't always have them. Glad you are doing well. I leave tomorrow for a two-week vacation, which is well deserved because I pretty much worked through recovery, mostly from bed on my laptop--not very ergonomic. By 5 weeks my aching body gave me plenty of incentive to start a series of massage appointments. At 8 weeks I was back at my desktop for 8-10 hours a day. Have a good couple of weeks!
 
I don't know about an elliptical. I have been using a Nu Step machine and love it. It reminds me if a sitting down elliptical. I am doing 15 minutes before PT starts
 
@Wanttobebiking enjoy that well-deserved vacation!

@webbie73, it sounds like everyone agrees no elliptical at least during the early period following TKR. I'll ask my OS whether/when I can start using it. I see him on Nov. 20, 6 weeks post-surgery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom