TKR Happydale's Left knee, now properly installed,

It's hard to believe it's time for my one week report. It's been a tough week since my surgery, and yet I must admit it has flown by quickly. Already there has been some improvement. I notice it's a little less painful getting in and out of bed, I'm getting a bit more of my appetite back, my scar is looking a tad bit more healed, and the bruises from my pre-surgery fall are starting to fade.

I met my home P.T. yesterday. I knew that no one could compare favorably to the amazing PT I had last year, but this one does seem knowledgeable and caring. She told me not to use heat anywhere on my body, and not to rub my leg because it could loosen a blood clot. This is bad news for me! I wonder if anyone else has been told these things. I find gentle massage to be a comfort. She also told me that when I'm making a turn with my walker I should turn to the right (non-operative) side. I'm finding this hard to remember!

My dear sister arrives at my bedroom door each morning at 6 a.m. with two cups of coffee, one for her and one for me. She crawls into bed and we lie around watching the morning news. Night time is the worst, so by 6:00 I'm always happy that another day has arrived.

I really appreciate joining hands with all of my BoneSmartie friends, as we trudge through the highs and lows of this recovery. Here's to another good day of healing!
 
Oh, Sara, good to read your first weeks report ! What a great sister to have! I have also found my kids to be such a comfort these last weeks. It has always been the other way around, this has been an enriching experience for me. Good that you are recognising the healing you are experiencing, however small, it's moving in the general direction of better...
The PT is for sure used to having to repeat things about a million times to our brainfogged selves. Heck, my 18 year old is the champion of forgetfulness and it doesn't phase him a bit. Nope, doesn't miss a beat.
:martini: Here's me raising my glass to your next week!
 
I never heard that about not rubbing our legs. Not that I was trying to during that first week. Just... news to me. Sounds like you're doing great! That first week is a hard one, but you are able to find the small triumphs and see progress. Your sister is a keeper!
 
I don't think massaging your legs will do any harm; nor will applying heat to anywhere apart from your knee. Just don't massage your calf if it gets sore - and if it does, get checked for a DVT.

Probably, turning away from your newly operated leg is a good idea for now, but you can do it either way if it feels comfortable. There are no hard and fast rules. Just do what feels best.
 
My nurse said the same thing about not rubbing my leg. This is what Josephine said:
sistersinhim said: ↑
Do you think that massaging my leg is dangerous like my home nurse said? I did it the first day home and it helped.
Josephine said: I think 'dangerous' is a little excessive! But be gentle with it.
 
Happydale, I think noticing the small but positive changes during the first two weeks is essential to our emotional well-being. Good for you in finding some of those little gems and may you continue to do so each week. My leg was too swollen and hurt too much to even think about gentle massage the first two weeks, but I did begin quad massaging during the third week. I didn't apply any heat to the area until that same week because I was afraid of increased swelling, but my PT assured me I could apply it to my quad and ice my knee at the same time. I'm still doing that; hah!

Your sister really is a dream! How wonderful that she's available to you at this time. Both of you will carry these sisterly memories forever!:SUNsmile:
 
Thanks, nensi, SusieShoes, celle, sistersinhim, Pheebs52, liam2015, and VW54. As I read through your supportive posts, it went through my head that I'm always surprised to receive so many responses. It is an amazing human attribute to be able to connect with others and share so much of ourselves with people we don't know. You are all like a big warm hug.
 
Hi Happydale, I am slowly catching up with everyone after being off line for a few days. Your first week sounds like things are going well.

I too loved the story of your sister crawling in the bed with you each morning. My only sister is 12 years younger than me and our family adopted her when she was 13 months old. She has a significant learning disability. While she is one of the most loving and giving people I know her learning disability changes the sister relationship where her mental and emotional age is much more than 12 years in difference. We have 4 daughters however and I see that wonderful sister bond between them. Sorry I got sidetracked on sisters....

I see your surgeries were almost a year apart. I imagine recovery will be much easier than the 10 weeks I chose. It's wonderful your bionic knee was ready for round two!
 
Hey Becky, I enjoyed hearing about your sister and your lucky daughters who all have 3 sisters to choose from! The only reason I waited a year between my surgeries was that I dreaded going through this again. Fortunately, it has so far been easier than my first knee. I sincerely think it's because I'm less emotional and scared than I was last year. Doesn't it feel great to know we have two viable knees?? And aren't we glad we're not spiders with 8 legs???
 
You always have such an optimistic outlook / your username Happydale suits you well! Instead of begrudging our poor one or two legs we can celebrate not having more than two - brilliant! :yes!:
 
@Happydale you have powered through the worst week. Here's hoping that your next few go well and you have a good recovery.
What a sweet sister! I have 3 sisters but none of them live close but I have a couple of friends who are like sisters to me. They delivered food, coffee, books and treats the first couple of weeks. My daughter and son, although they have families of their own have also been exceptional. It must be a reflection on the wonderful role model that my hubby is!
Keep your BS friends updated on how you are doing. We are here for you when you encounter the dark days ( or more probably nights!!) and will hold your hand because we all know now that this is far from a straight path!
 
I think it's time for an update on my recovery. All in all, it's going well, even though I'm getting really tired of this already. My pain has been comfortably controlled, I'm moving around a bit more, and I feel stronger. I did have a very bad day on Saturday. For some reason unknown, I was dizzy and several times felt like I could pass out. That's a scary feeling when you're climbing the stairs or using the walker! Possible causes: Abruptly discontinuing Tramadol??? Constipation??? Lying flat on my back to do my exercises?? All three of these possibilities have been addressed, but I'm still afraid of a repeat. I've been pausing in an upright position before trying to move, just to make sure I'm not dizzy. I told you all what a wus I am!

But everything has been fine Sunday and Monday. I really feel ready to cut back on the Tramadol, so I'm stretching the time between doses by an extra 2 hours. I'm very anxious to be off of it all together, but don't want to create any new problems.

For my first TKR I had the most wonderful PT coming to my home - she was very professional and helpful in addressing my recovery in a comprehensive way - not just showing me exercises. My current PT doesn't measure up, but I will say she has helped with a couple things. She adjusted my walker to be much higher, which is surprisingly more comfortable to use. She supports my leg during the exercises, which makes them more comfortable (and maybe less effective?). I'm looking forward to going to PT and returning to my familiar person.

Danielle, a young friend of my daughter's, came over today and painted my toe nails and added little flowers on them. So sweet! My naked toe nails have been bothering me since my surgery, when they force you to remove nail polish. All the support and attention from friends, family, and mere acquaintances really makes a person feel the love.

So full steam ahead to reach the two week mark in 3 days!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Happydale's Left knee, now properly installed,
    IMG_3596.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 167
Oh, how cute! I love the toe nails! Your first two weeks are almost over with. It sounds like you're doing really well.
 
Yeahhhh! We've got this! Getting those meds out of your system, as you know, will make you feel like a new woman! Two weeks down, 2 more to go and we'll be over that first month hurdle! Yeahhhhhhhhh!

Love your cute toes! My 6 yr old grand daughter wanted to know if mine were painted yet! Sadly, no.
Just waiting until a pedi is approved!!!
 
I had a dizzy issue and while I was never sure of the exact cause, it might have been dehydration. I felt dizzy, generally lousy and kind of underwater. I made an effort to increase fluids and it resolved in a day or two and I haven't had the issue since. Might be worth a try?
 
Back
Top Bottom