Guest viewing is limited

TKR Happydale's Left knee, now properly installed,

I guess I'm at about 9 weeks post op. I sure wish I had kept up with my posts at this stage for my first knee replacement, so I could quit worrying!

In general, I'm doing just fine. I am pretty much living my normal life, and I even have some extraordinary accomplishments. Last week we had a family wedding, and I pulled off a pre-wedding dinner at my house for 19 out-of-towners. I even fast danced (in almost normal shoes) at the wedding. According to the step tracker on my phone, it looks like I usually take about 3000 steps a day. I know I'm capable of more, as on the days I've taken 4,000, I still don't need a Tylenol.

I ended up going back to PT after being discharged. Unfortunately I had to see a different therapist. She measured my bend to be way less than it had been previously. I'm beginning to believe that the measurements they take are way less precise than I thought. It seems to vary based on the person taking the measurement and the position I'm in when they measure.

Regardless, I wasn't surprised that it was less. She ascertained that my hamstring was very weak and gave me some exercises to strengthen that. I sure hope that helps, as I'm noticing the impact of that.

Going up and down stairs is still not good! It hurts and I really need to put a lot of weight on the handrail. My other complaint is that wretched click that's on the outer side of my knee. Usually I don't pay attention to it, which is my best solution, but other times it's all I can focus on. Ugh!

Well, there, I got that all out. I know I'm being impatient, and I know for sure that I'm entering a period when I'm so anxious to be "normal" again that I overdo it, then need to recover from that, then I'm back to doing more than I should.

I expect to be perfectly fine by 12 weeks when I see my doctor for the last time, so I'm vowing to continue strengthening and stretching those hamstrings and ignore that clicky thing.

I am thankful that those are my only knee problems, and when I'm honest with myself, I know I can expect to continue improving.
 
@Happydale, at 12 weeks out you will be doing even better than you are now. And it sounds like you are doing well indeed. Cooking for 19 isn't exactly chicken feed! Glad to see you on the boards again :yes:
 
Our surgery dates are really close, and I can sympathize with all you said. I too so want to just be normal. Where is that elusive box of patience?? I also have that annoying click, but mine is on the inside of my knee. I sure hope it goes away. Just try to stay out of the ODIC club, it's not a good club to visit.
 
At 3 months, progress will be slower and you'll even have times when it hits a plateau. That's all normal.

The ROM numbers really aren't that important (except to the PTs). What you can do with your knees is more important, and that all sounds good.
I'm also sceptical about some of the ROM measurements reported here. I cannot believe that anyone can measure something like 92 degrees or 108 degrees. I discount anything less than fives - 90, 95, 100, 105.

Your knees will continue to improve for a long time yet and managing stairs normally is one of the last accomplishments to come.
 
I'm beginning to believe that the measurements they take are way less precise than I thought. It seems to vary based on the person taking the measurement and the position I'm in when they measure.
Absolutely! It's a very variable thing. If you would like me to take a measurement, I'd be happy to do so. I just need a photo of your leg, in shorts, and including foot and hip in one of these poses

[Bonesmart.org] Happydale's Left knee, now properly installed,


As for extension, you can assess that yourself - Extension: how to estimate it
She ascertained that my hamstring was very weak and gave me some exercises to strengthen that. I sure hope that helps. I expect to be perfectly fine by 12 weeks when I see my doctor for the last time, so I'm vowing to continue strengthening and stretching those hamstrings
What exercises did she suggest and what exercises are you doing?
Going up and down stairs is still not good! It hurts and I really need to put a lot of weight on the handrail.
Well you're 15 weeks out or 4 and a bit months. I was about 5 months before I started doing stairs properly. Then it just kind of happened! So don't force yourself to do them normally while it still hurts. It will come eventually, all on its own!
 
Hi @Happydale
I'm a bit over 4 months tomorrow and just in the last week started gingerly attempting foot over foot going down. Some days and on some steps its not to bad! I'm ok going up.
Another person on this list ? (@Pheebs52 )suggested going down backwards foot over foot as a practice and getting the muscles ready for facing forward

Of course you need to be careful. I'm been doing that for a few weeks and it does give a little confidence.
As far as ROM. I have never had mine measured and have enjoyed watching it get better slowly but surely.
My right knee was replaced almost 2 years ago. At about 1 year, it quite suddenly made a big leap. I have no idea why. So keep the faith
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom