Guest viewing is limited

TKR Happydale's Left knee, now properly installed,

[Bonesmart.org] Happydale's Left knee, now properly installed,
Thanks folks! The photo advice was just what I needed, and I so appreciate all the friendly supportive comments.

I'm doing great at the end of day 2 in the hospital. No nausea! Bonus: I can even eat food. My hospital allows pet visitors, but I told my daughter I am too afraid they wouldn't be polite enough for this quiet atmosphere. I believe I'll be going home in the morning, and I can't wait to see my two pups!
 
Oops, forgot to answer your question about whether it's easier the second time around. My big answer is a resounding YES!! Before surgery I was hoping for a recovery the same as last time, but thus far my second recovery is going way better. And I wasn't as nervous. Nerves and lack of sleep can really do a number on pain levels. So I was able to sleep well, worry less, and as a result, less pain. Or at least that's my theory.
 
i love your photo ~ your nest looks so comfy and what's even better, is you have a lovely smile on your face. i don't think i smiled much in my hospital nest...sigh! glad to hear your experience is better the second time around.
 
Beautiful smile! I don't remember much nor my TKR hospital stay...GA took care of that!
 
Great report Happydale - and you look great in the photo - I know what you mean about not having visitors see the backstory --- I had a room full of folks (not visitors but hospital personnel) and the PT was asking me to sit up, I couldn't feel anything due to the block, including the fact that apparently my bladder decided it was time to go . . . created quite a calamity with everyone rushing around trying to clean things up. I was glad not to have visitors at that moment. Hope you continue to progress well.:flwrysmile:
 
You look great in the photo! Glad to hear the second time around for you has been better. I am hoping for that too when the time comes.
 
It wonderful to hear that your 2nd is going better than the 1st. That smile goes with your name!
 
Oh, Sara, good to see your smile - it is infectious ! I don't know if you are home yet, but I hope your transfer is smooth ("may the odds be ever in your favor") and in the company of pillows and pain meds.
I promised to start a thread for our therapy pets - maybe you can post some pics of your pups when you are feeling up to it. @Happydale
 
Congratulations @Happydale, it sounds like everything is going very well for you! I have been so overwhelmed by my situation that I haven't had a a,chance to check in on anyone else. Best of luck to you for continued successful healing. Your are certainly an inspiration to me. Thank you!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ah, doesn't it just feel so good to read such supportive comments from our comrades-in-legs? (Get it?) Thanks to all of you for your care and support.

I'm happily in my own bed now on discharge day - ice machine humming, my night's worth of pain meds laid out and labeled in little cups by my highly organized sister, and really no pain. I still have my nerve block in, full of numbing medicine, so that's probably a big contributor to my comfort level. It will run empty tomorrow, or maybe Monday if I don't push the button too often. Now if only I didn't have to go to pee every hour, I'd have no complaints!

I'm already looking forward to a shower, but I can't have one until I pull this catheter out - a task that makes me pretty queezy. But then I also haven't been brave enough to take a look at my scar. These are big challenges for the wus that I am. I will keep you posted on my progress with those two unpleasantries. And, @nensi, I will definitely work on the doggie photos soon. Great project!

Time for a pill. :egypdance:
 
Hi @Happydale, I'm glad you are home and getting settled. I too tried to make my nerve block last by only pushing if I had too! @KarriB i think she is referring to pulling the nerve block out, not a catheter as in urine cath, lol. You were probably much smarter than I was by waiting a year rather than 10 weeks. I am getting almost to the point that I'm glad I got them done! I hope you continue to do well and I loved your beautiful smile!
 
Boy I hear y'a about the peeing. It's like having Murphy on your team - whenever you get really comfy, ice just right, feet not cold, pillows perfect - that niggling sensation starts, bladder call !
Trying to ignore it right now, icing and elevating with the Suzy cat snoozing at my feet!
Great to have an organized sister, you can catch up on the , much needed to start charging up your batteries.
 
How good for you to be back home and on that nerve block! I hope I can have one for my next knee.

It sounds like you have everything under control. Even your bladder is helping you get exercise!
 
Congratulations! Sounds like you are off to a great start! There is a lot of comfort the second time around in knowing what to expect.

Be sure to ramp up meds for when the nerve block wears off. I thought it would gradually drop off, but mine was like switching off a light! I was not prepared!

Your 4 legged nurses are adorable!
 
Hello Sara ! It looks like you tuckered your nurses right out! Or maybe they are setting a good example for you. :) I really love the colorful mandala print on that pillow - bright, saturated colors are my favorites. I bet it feels good to be surrounded with your familiar peeps and objects - good for healing.
I hope you are keeping the pain at bay!
And Sara, @Happydale, I just wanted to send you big hugs for reaching out when I was feeling blue the other day, it felt so good and it helps to read and reread your posts. You have a way of expressing yourself that your sunny character comes through ! Xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sara @Happydale - welcome to the other side and it sounds as though everything is moving in the right direction!
I hope you keep ahead of the pain with a good medication schedule. I found the first two weeks really hard but stayed well medicated and that helped pull me through. The worst is behind you and upgraded knees, pain free are in your future. Keep your eye on the prize!
Peg
 
Wus is probably my middle name also.
Can you get a visiting nurse to pull out the nerve block catheter instead of doing it yourself?
I couldn't inject myself with the anticoagulant meds either. DH did it 10x then I got tablet version. I also had to keep incision covered for about 4 days after stitches were removed.
Good healing!
 
Back
Top Bottom