TKR Happydale's Left knee, now properly installed,

@Happydale, I'm so glad you are home with your organized, caring sister, in your own bed, surrounded by your adorable, "fuzzy" nurses and best of all, relatively pain free! I second what SouthernCook said about ramping up the pain meds before that nerve block cath comes out....yes, indeedy. Your pictures are fab!
 
hope you're doing okay 4 days out. i love your furry nurses; the best comforters.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Happydale's Left knee, now properly installed, Suzy nurse is here "helping" me follow your thread - hope you are adjusting well, Sara.
 
Our furry friends have no idea how much they help us through this trying time!
 
The fur kids really are a tremendous help, aren't they? Nemo (the Pug) is softly snoring away on the chair next to mine and it's such a soothing sound, unlike hubby's lol! Princess Pheebs is stretched out on the floor in front of me, *guarding* against...I dunno what, perhaps an imminent bunny invasion? The furs are always a wonderful distraction. Happydale, I hope your night is smooth sailing!
 
I really appreciate you BoneSmartie friends! Thanks to all of you! I spent yesterday attempting to find some peace and quiet so I could catch up with all of you, but it never happened. I now have 3 folks taking care of me (so lucky!), but as a result, I feel rude to ignore them while I use my computer. My sister is taking her role so seriously, she won't let me out of her sight! She went so far as to refuse a glass of wine with dinner because she has to have a clear head while she's "working".

So here's my report: Sunday night I pulled out the catheter for my pain pump. That was gross but painless. It's a long wire that goes in at the thigh and seems to run forever down the front of the leg. I was sad to see that contraption go! My knee is a bit more painful now than it had been, but only a 2 or 3. I haven't taken the oxy yet- that is my emergency drug if necessary.

Similarly to nensi and her window shades, calamity struck yesterday. While I'm normally not one to be glued to the t.v., it's a major source of distraction during recovery. So the cable box quit working, and as my friend was on the phone with the cable company, she and my daughter touched the front of the t.v. And who knew?? It turns out that if you touch the front of the screen, the whole tv goes haywire, and has to be thrown away. I am not kidding! So now, no t.v.! The cable company is supposed to mail a new box and my friend is on her way to pick up a t.v. I purchased online. Uggg! It's enough to be waited on hand and foot, that I really hate to ask my helpers to get a new tv up and running.

I'm impressed with the health care system. Yesterday my surgeon called me to check in, and today my primary care physician called as well. I had one PT session on Sunday, and I'm waiting to hear from my PT case manager with a schedule of the rest of the PT visits.

My doggies are clearly upset about the whole change in the household. They look at me and say "What is wrong with you?". They're usually pretty neurotic, but lately they've been very chilled out. Nevertheless, they're a great distraction. I haven't been allowing them to sleep in my bedroom, which is sad.

All in all, life is good, I'm beginning to believe I will survive this, and I'm trying very hard to be content with my progress.
 
yikes ~ that is really weird about the t.v., never heard of that before. hope you get your new t.v. set up. it does help to pass the time and provide a distraction, also for your guests/caregivers. that was thoughtful of your surgeon and family dr. that phoned to check in on you! sounds like you're in a good place ~ wishing you a good recovery and not too much pain. it won't be long and you'll be inviting your doggies back in your room.:puppysmooze:
 
Wow, strange about the TV. Electronics can be finicky! We recently had to replace a cable box, only to find that wasn't the problem because it was the outside cable box. Lots of running around, but eventually it all got fixed. Sounds like you have wonderful caregivers, willing to go above and beyond so you don't have too big a lapse in your favorite distraction.

Don't hesitate to use the oxy at the first sign of pain increase. That's what it's there for.
 
What a nice report! Glad to hear you are doing so well and have attentive caregivers. Hope you are able to keep the pain managed - that is so critical to your well-being over the next couple of weeks. I see you are in MI - where? I grew up in MI but left in my 20s.
 
Glad to have you check in, Sara, and even gladder to hear that you are being coddled. Enjoy, let yourself be coddled, you will have more than enough time to take on challenges.
I also struggle to keep up with my Bonesmarties and often find myself thinking instead of actually typing a response. Haha, not surprising when you don't get the message. Jep, end of the day for me, so I a little frayed at the edges.
Stay ahead of the pain, Sara ! I'll check in tomorrow :)
 
So many new friends, it's sometimes hard to keep up with everyone's progress. So happy to hear you are on the road to recovery Sara. As someone told me, we are on the scenic route so take your time and let your sister and others help!
We also are having tv troubles so I sympathize. Hope it all works out because the squawk box helps pass the time sometimes ( especially in the middle of the night!)
 
Good grief, what kind of TV was that? Plasma? That's the only one I can think of that might be that ...er...*touchy.* Talk about bad timing though; pffft!

Your sis and my husband are what I refer to as "hovercraft," lol. That's ok though, better that than ones who don't care, right? We're really lucky to have them, even if they do drive us nutz.:heehee:

It's great to hear of an efficient health care system and truly caring physicians; yay! Horror stories abound, but the good stories rarely make the press.

It's a good idea for now to keep the canines out of your bedroom, but they find it all so confusing. They could also easily step on you inadvertently during the night and I know this how? Yes, been there. :yikes:

I'm glad your pain is not significant at present, but please, be really careful about it creeping up! I won't even try to understand not needing Rx pain meds at 5 days post-op since I needed every single one for 4 solid weeks, but if it's working for you, great! Here's wishing you a good night's sleep, a functioning, new TV and continued lack of significant pain! :cheers:
 
I let my kitties in with me. Only once did one cause a pain. He jumped off from my knee. A big, loud scream stopped all future flights from my knee. The kitties wouldn't lay on it as long as the ice was there. Too cold for them! Your dogs might be OK, especially if you show them the boundaries.
 
Hey, Pheebs52, I LOVE your posts. You are always so thoughtful and at the same time your sense of humor shines through. Thank you for all the encouragement. Just to be clear, I am taking every single pain pill on time as well. The only thing I haven't taken is the oxy, but other than that, I'm taking Tramadol round-the-clock along with Tylenol and ibuprofen. As I mentioned earlier, I'm a wus through and through!
 
Canada35, thank you. I like the scenic route analogy, because even though I'm as anxious as everyone else to be healed, I keep reminding myself that there isn't a deadline. I'm retired, and I haven't planned anything major coming up that requires mobility. Slow and steady..... Now my new t.v. is functional, the cable box has been replaced, and my internet speed got doubled! Such progress.
 
Now, this has been a good day for you! I love a fast internet!

It's great that you don't have to have the Oxy. The side effects of it are rough.
 
Phew, so you are on Tramadol @Happydale! I was beginning to think you were some sort of Superwoman, and you may just be, but probably not the kind with the golden bra and boots, lol! Okay, now I can see why you are fairly comfortable!

Great going on getting the new TV up and running even if there isn't much worthwhile on; hah! Faster speed is always a plus, so the little black cloud from the former TV turned out to be a silver lining after all.:yes!:
 
Just caught up with your thread! Sounds like you are doing well !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom