TKR Happydale's Left knee, now properly installed,

It's amazing how often drinking more water will help us!

Thanks, Jajakio, I didn't have dehydration on my "possible cause" list, and that's something to consider. Plus, it's an easy fix.

Water is always too for you!

A strange turn of events! This is an unfortunate tangent to my TKR recovery... So before my surgery my friends got me a great bird feeder and installed it on a pole right next to my deck. It has been fantastic to sit outside on my deck, feet up in the air, ice on my knee, enjoying the continuous arrival of a big array of wild birds feeding close by. I believe the bird seed that's been spilling all over the deck has attracted various wildlife - perhaps some raccoons, possum, etc. They're leaving their big dirty prints all over the place.

So my daughter and her friend came over yesterday, and while we were all sitting IN MY HOUSE, they started screaming "Mouse!!!". The little thing darted here and there around the room. Magda and Danielle managed to catch it in a jar and release it in the woods. Phew! Was I relieved! Then last night, 3 of us human women and my 2 dogs were in the same room, and the MOUSE CONVENTION commenced. Yes, my Smartie friends, there were mice jumping hither and yon, shimmying up the lamp poles, darting everywhere. My dogs were going crazy, wagging their tails, belly crawling under the couch. Within seconds, my black dog nabbed one - killed instantly. Lots of screaming, jumping up on furniture, and then me, trapped in my fairly immobile body, unable to quickly take my exit, and certainly incapable of jumping up on the chair!

We retreated to the "safe" upstairs, only to find a mouse in the bathroom, one in the hallway, and mouse turds all over the...bathtub!!! All of this in one day. Apparently there is no safe haven in my own house. It is nearly impossible to get a good night sleep in week two of recovery with mice infiltrating every nook and cranny of the place.

Currently, my sister is out purchasing some live traps. My dogs are acting like it isn't even their job to deal with this, thus breaking the unspoken contract between pet parent and pet: I feed you, let you live with me, you deal with any vermin threatening our peace. Here is a photo of Amos, completely unconcerned and inattentive to his responsibilities. You can also see the offending bird feeder in the background. Do NOT let this happen to you!

I hope to report a full and complete resolution to this dreadful state of affairs, a.s.a.p.!!

Attachments

• IMG_3599.JPG
    IMG_3599.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 191
Yikes!!!! And it's not even late fall when they try to get in. Glad you have some help with the live traps -- hope you can get them all. What a dastardly turn of events. Can't wait for the update. No treats for the dogs unless they bring you the dead evidence! I just realized that I have a prairie dog under my front porch. I believe it is a male so no babies thankfully but I need to get a live trap and take it somewhere else pronto . . .

omg that made me laugh at the images. we had a mouse problem in our house a few years ago; no evidence of any since we got our dog, but they've probably migrated to the basement. i was using a live trap and would sleep on the sofa in the living room so i could hear if one got trapped, then i would take it down to the furthest part of the backyard, even at 1 or 2 in the morning, to release it. i caught 11 or 12 over 2 weeks and released them. then it stopped working. i put the trap in a plastic bag in the foyer closet since it wasn't working anymore and then one day i heard something in the closet and here a mouse had ripped through the plastic bag and got trapped in the trap. there must have been some bits of cracker or peanut butter that attracted him. shortly after we got our pup, a year ago january, we found a dead mouse in the space between the dishwasher and counter ~ not sure if liam got it ~ first time we had a dead mouse.

do you think the birdseed has attracted the mice? so weird (and funny, sorry)...hehe! good luck.:meow: maybe you could borrow a cat.

You need to borrow all my cats, but you are a bit too far! What a nightmare for a 2 week old knee to have to go through! I pray you can get them all really quickly.

Liam2015, I'm glad to know your live traps worked! So far no action on mine, so fingers crossed. And Paula, I've had a few of offers to borrow cats, but I'm not sure how my dogs would react. I really don't think they've ever seen one. But my place would certainly be a feast for them!

unfortunately they seem to come out late at night. what an unusual invasion. hope you can get rid of those little critters ~ you might have to get tough.:swoon:

Yeah, you dogs might go after the cats before the cats could go after the mice!

Lol! Sorry Happydale - had to laugh! We have been through a bit of a mouse problem ourselves. Still haven't figured out where they were getting in but they were contained to our basement.Didn't set live traps though. Just the old fashioned slam down ones. Sorry! We got a few daily during one week and haven't had any since but I expect as soon as the weather turns cold again.........! It's now our 4 year old grandson's job to go down and check the traps in the utility room! I don't know what he will do if there are ever any mice in them!!

OH! We ARE recovery sisters! :rotfl:

Yes, those tiny mice LOVE birdseed! Glue traps are our trap of choice. I'm sorry if others see that an inhumane, but I see the filth and disease they bring as unwelcome! That being said, we live in the woods and expect occasional visitors, but I MUCH prefer to let them have the run of the woods as long as they leave my house alone!

Peppermint will discourage them. The fresh plant works, and I hear the oil does too. We use snap traps, 'cause the cat tends to just play with the mice. Then they escape .

I live in the country, so we have problems with field mice. I can't stand them!! I pay an exterminator a quarterly fee to keep bait traps set in the crawl space so I don't have to deal with them, even though my cat would probably think it was fun:loll:

Maybe that's the simplest course, pay for an exterminator and get it done with. You aren't at a good place to put up with a lot of stress right now. Hugs.

Oh Happydale, I just had to laugh, but....eeeuuuw, just cringing! I'm an animal lover, but I don't extend those warm, fuzzy feelings toward rodents. No, I don't. Think *disease* and suddenly you won't feel so caring toward them either. Glue traps work, as do conventional traps. Pssst: They love peanut-butter, not cheese.

We've had a few mouse invasions over the years, in the fall when the weather starts to turn colder, but never in summer. Seems odd, unless there is a food source for them in the house?

Princess Pheebs, my little terrier is right up there with cats when it comes to *mousing.* She was bred for that purpose and lives up to her breed standard. That means she *plays* with them; ugh! She's presented me with decapitated mice now and then; gruesome! So, be thankful your canine pals are taking a mellow attitude.:heehee:

Trap placement is very important; think sills in basement and under your deck and possibly under your stove. Bird seed is notorious for attracting them, so you may wish to re-locate those feeders or....stop feeding. I know, I know, it sounds harsh, but...these are dangerous times you're living in. Oh, and where are you storing the birdseed....basement? Garage? Make sure it's in a sealed, rubbermaid type container and ditto on dry dog food.

Your house is the "happydale" for a mouse eh?

Since we live at the edge of the woods, lots of field mice about. Well...Neighbours who rent the garages tell us this. The residential crows seem to keep then at bay. I've even seen them swoop down and catch them.! But also owls.
However I did not like it if they scurried along the ground floor hallways. Eeeek.!!
Now we have mint plants near the door leading to the communal garden. Seems to keep them from entering the building. Perhaps something for you?

Wow, friends, imagine all of life's problems and issues we could get help with via this forum! When I started participating in BoneSmart, I never thought I'd get (or need!!!!) advice on mouse abatement. Your suggestions were helpful, and I'm happy to report that I believe the mice are currently eradicated! 5 are now gone, taken dead or alive. Funny thing, rubyyarn, I took your tip and told my sister to try a peppermint deterrent since I had a plant growing outside. Unfortunately, she thought I meant to use it as bait, going so far as to crush a peppermint candy to put in a trap. Needless to say, didn't catch one with that trap!

Quick note from the sponsor of this thread: My apologies for how long this is. :nah: I included details for my own reference and for the random BoneSmart stalker facing TKR and longing to find a recovery that isn't miserable. I doubt others will have the desire or fortitude to plug through this!

Onto my knee report: Today marks two weeks since I came home from the hospital. My sister left today, and I sobbed! It's impossible to thank someone who does so much to make a huge difference. We had a great time together, despite the circumstances. I told her that if I need to support her convalescence some day, I just hope I'm up to the task to do it was well as she did.

I saw my doctor on Friday and had my last at-home PT appointment. Both doctor and PT gave me a good report. I get a week off before I go to outpatient PT, which was against recommendations, but I liked that pause last year. It gave my scar a chance to heal a bit more, and I could slowly and gently do my exercises at home.

Here are all my celebrations: I now use a cane to get around and use my walker in the night. I am down to one Tramadol at night, and a couple Tylenol during the day. I went out for breakfast yesterday and sat with my leg down. By my own assessment, it looks like I can pretty much straighten my leg - if it's not at 0, I think it's close. The bend when I'm sitting looks better than 90 degrees, but I know that's not how they measure it. I am sleeping well, minus a couple times up each night for the bathroom and to replenish the ice. I'm off of laxatives, and Miralax, and my digestion and appetite are back to normal. Lastly, I can get my own food, take my own shower, and get in and out of the front seat of the car.

I'm looking forward to: cooking!, walking outside, driving, less icing and elevating (I'm still doing both A LOT), eliminating the raised toilet seat, and weaning completely off the Tramadol. I still have caregivers - especially for carrying my ice machine and other belongings up and down the stairs. I'm really sick of depending on others and I can't wait to handle all my own affairs!

Lastly, my ruminations about the emotions of this surgery: This recovery has been way less painful and onerous than my first TKR - not once have I cried because of pain. I honestly believe this is because I haven't been freaked out and worried sick. I have a pretty solid level of confidence that I will eventually recover and be able to walk. It amazes me how much the mind impacts the body! Currently, I'm basking in the love of my family and friends. Their support and encouragement have made a huge difference to make me feel good. That can counteract a lot of physical pain. Thinking about the love that surrounds me and feeling thankful for that is my go-to remedy for the blues. I'm also thankful for all of you on BoneSmart - your willingness to share your recovery details, and your encouragement have been really meaningful to me! So thank you, thank you!

How wonderful you're doing! Being in a good place mentally, knowing you are surrounded by support and love, really does make a difference. I could not have been so confident without Mr. Shoes and the family. Having someone there for you is so important. You had some of the best. :flwrysmile:

Sara, I echo many of your thoughts, feelings and goals. Having a good support network including BS friends means the world. Having gone through this before, we KNOW "this too shall pass". I am doing many of the same ADLs as you and find regaining independence is a breath of fresh air! I have not yet driven simply because I have not needed to and DH loves to chauffeur! Sometimes, I think he likes to feel needed as I am fiercely independent!
Anyway, good for YOU for tackling that list and for acknowledging the importance of those who love and care for us!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom