Guest viewing is limited

THR Happy to be past the surgery

A little note on assistive devices:
I am old, 76, but still like to think of myself as in my 40’s (well maybe 50’s). As my hips deteriorated I hobbled and staggered and used every surface for support. Finally I used a cane, but loved to go to the big stores with grocery carts for better support.
After hip replacement #1 I used a two wheel walker for a while and then my PT admonished me about it and said I should use my cane. My other hip is still terrible and I hobble with a cane. But I felt pressured by everyone to use the cane. WHY? Folks using walkers are old and sidelined and helpless. I didn’t want to be any of that.
Then I started driving myself around and realized that I can’t get very far with a cane. Too much pain and too little safety. So I borrowed a 4 wheel Rollator and crammed it into the back seat. On my first trip out I realized that instead of making me old and helpless, it has given me back confidence and control. I don’t worry about tipping over. I can sit on the little seat when waiting in line or just when I’m tired.
So if you’re having a slower recovery, or are nervous about stumbling, or have weak muscles from a long slide into replacement, try a rollator. To everyone else - let’s try to admire folks who use any means to get themselves out and about and not pity us. I am tough and independent and now MOBILE,
 
Aww, I love this, Freyagirl. :console2:
It's so sweet, so supportive, so real.
To everyone else - let’s try to admire folks who use any means to get themselves out and about and not pity us. I am tough and independent and now MOBILE
YES! I love it. Living Your Life!
 
Yes. Too much emotional baggage or metaphors attached to what should be simply tools. :flwrysmile:
 
Great advice! Yes, I was never embarrassed to be using my walker while out in stores or anywhere else. It's a tool in recovery, not forever! Then graduated to the cane.
I felt very fortunate to know one day I'd be able to set both aside & walk freely once again. The end justified the means.
Mental attitude during recovery is also to our advantage & you have a great attitude & spirit!
Thanks.
 
Wow, both hips screaming at me all night. I went to water aerobics for the third time and was probably less careful. I’ve been going to these classes for 10 years and it was easy to fall back into a more vigorous 50 minute workout. Then coffee with a friend while sitting on a hard plastic chair. Great for my head, but not for baby hips or old crumbling hips.
Home for a quick lunch and then off to the clinic for a mammogram that was delayed by my surgery. The mammogram was a little tiring because of the standing still in uncomfortable positions, but the long walk to and from the parking lot was the last straw for the crumbling old hip. I elevated and iced, but still paid for it with a night of trying to find a less painful way to sleep. I gave up and huddled in my recliner with the ice machine. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with just 11 days to go before I get my second shiny new hip joint! Paying for yesterday with a day of sitting and doing paperwork.
 
Ah a visit to the ODIC! You wouldn't be a normal human if you didn't visit there at least once per joint surgery :heehee:
Keep on icing and elevating that baby.
 
Morning,
Yes, we tend to overdo in that weightless pool! You aren't the first to join our beloved ODIC!
So you are doing the right thing now rest, ice & elevate & all will be fine soon.
 
You likely can't win right now, even though you're doing surprisingly well. You have one healing hip and one ailing hip, but I will say, you're making the best of it. Wishing you lots of comfort, Freyagirl, not long now until your crumbling old hip is replaced with a shiny new one. :yes!: I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Freyagirl
 
just 11 days to go before I get my second shiny new hip
You are almost there!
Keeping focusing on how great it will be to have two functioning hips this summer. :flwrysmile:
 
I am determined to keep living life between hip surgeries, so today was decorate the house for spring. I managed to gently slide down off a chair to the floor, dig in the cupboard where the fun spring table runners and quilts are, store the winter stuff AND get back up by grabbing onto the chair. My new hip 7 week old hip performed like a champ without much complaint, the crabby old hip needed some ice to get it to shut up. Now I can look at spring colors during my next “new hip confinement.”
 
Bumps in the road last night.:groan:. I had occasional bouts of sciatic pain prior to hip surgery- always from long sits on airplanes or car trips. No issues with it despite lots of sitting since LTHR until last night watching TV and then had to grab an ice pack and sit on it until butt was numb. I looked back at some stretches from previous PT but there is no way my leg is ready to pretzel over the other leg while sitting or laying down. I did some standing stretches with my affected leg reaching back and chair stretching with the leg forward based on a posting I found on this site. Any thoughts about sitting on a foam roller - maybe on a unpadded chair with arms so I dont have to get my old bad hip off the floor?
 
Foam roller may be awkward for you to access. How about tennis ball or handball (I favor pink rubber Spalding or PensyPinky inside a soft sock)
 
It’s been more than seven weeks since my left hip surgery and I certainly have been feeling good. I’ve gotten back a lot of my energy and have been able to keep pretty busy all day. With the next hip surgery coming up in less than a week I’ve been trying to get my house ready and do some cooking. Yesterday I had an especially busy day that included a doctor appointment and some shopping, I came home and was going to get ready to cook some dinner and just “hit the wall.” I was so tired. Suddenly I couldn’t do anything but climb into my recliner pull a quilt over me and take a nap. It made me remember that I am still recovering from a big surgery And that I don’t yet have the same energy that I had prior. I’m going to try and take it easy a bit today and make sure that I’m going into my second surgery with a bit of saved energy so that I’m not completely exhausted.
 
Suddenly I couldn’t do anything but climb into my recliner pull a quilt over me and take a nap. It made me remember that I am still recovering from a big surgery And that I don’t yet have the same energy that I had prior. I’m going to try and take it easy a bit today and make sure that I’m going into my second surgery with a bit of saved energy so that I’m not completely exhausted
Wise of you to get rest when you feel the need because our body does its best healing as we sleep. You've been doing SO WELL, Freyagirl, that I hope if you find yourself exhausted, or tiring more easily after next Tuesdays surgery it doesn't disappoint you. Two major surgeries within two months is a lot to recover from, but obviously you're down for it and I have no doubt you'll do well. You may just need a few more
happy nappys. :wink: :sleep: Have a great Thursday!
 
After getting some good IV meds, I have been up to the bathroom and moved around the room a little without too much difficulty.
Do you mean you managed to move around the room on your first day of the surgery? Wow:yay:
 
After getting some good IV meds, I have been up to the bathroom and moved around the room a little without too much difficulty.
Do you mean you managed to move around the room on your first day of the surgery? Wow:yay:
That’s the expectation even for us “over the hill” folks. Before I could go home the next day I had to dress myself, walk down the hall, climb a couple stairs, and eat a meal. I was sore but had good pain meds and was home about 20 hours after surgery ended.
 
I passed my hemoglobin test today so I’m back to normal red blood cell count for the next surgery. It was low, but not terrible after the first surgery. I regularly give blood and never have low hemoglobin so I figured it would bounce back, but I’m really ready to get rid of this painful hip next week and didn’t want any road blocks.
My surgery is during the grandkids Spring Break from school so I’ve already asked (bribed) some helpers for my first week after surgery. They are great entertainment and give my dear hubby some time off his caregiver role.
In my last bit of planning for round 2 of the hip replacement game I bought a new mattress and had it delivered. Fighting my way out of the crater in the middle of the old mattress was just really getting bad. My newly operated hip will be happy. I’m feeling pretty prepared.
 
Last edited:
My husband and I went out for supper last night. It was great to do something sort of normal, even though I was pretty wobbly getting into the restaurant. We’ve had 50 years of “date nights” but none recently. It was fun to be waited on and try a new beer.
This is been a rough year. A year ago I was in the hospital with heart failure due to an unexpected case of Afib. Fortunately, I got the afib reversed, and it hasn’t come back. I spent the summer having surgery for cataracts in both eyes. It’s easy surgery, but came with the summer of blurred vision until everything got settled finally in August with new glasses. August is also when I decided there was no getting past it. I had to have surgery on at least my left hip. I got the surgery scheduled, as well as a vacation that was supposed to sneak in before the surgery. Unfortunately just before vacation my 45-year-old son died of colon cancer. We made it through the holidays and then, thank God, It was time for hip surgery.
This sounds like a long whiny song, but really, dinner out last night was to celebrate getting back to a more normal life. One more surgery and an overnight in the hospital and then everything will be a time of recovery moving into a time of feeling great. I’m so looking forward to moving around my house without a cane or walker and having BOTH HANDS to carry stuff around. You can all understand my impatience, I’m sure.
 
My heart broke as I read your post, @Freyagirl, because you've been through so much in such a short time. But, it also leapt for joy at your optimism for the future.

So glad you were able to enjoy a date night before your upcoming surgery. Remember that we are here for you as you face this next challenge.

Hugs :console2:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom