Guest viewing is limited

THR Happy to be past the surgery

Wow, you're on the way to winning the Sleep Trophy. Many are going to be envious of you. That's some solid sleep! Firm believer in the pillow fort, right here. Still climb into mine every night! :wink:
Hope today is good as it can be...at only three days into recovery.
@Freyagirl
 
I looked back at my journal from my first hip
It's so reassuring to have that reference as you embark on this second recovery, isn't it? Amazing how much we can forget, even in a short time.
 
I can tell that I’m doing well because I’m bored. I want to get up and do some housework and do some cooking and go out for supper. I know for sure that it’s too soon and I need to give my body more time to rest. So it’s time for me to come up with some mental activities to keep me occupied. I know that by next week I will be much stronger and can get out of the house. In the meantime I’m looking at recipes and putting in a grocery store order for delivery- one of the few good things to result from the Covid epidemic.
 
15 years ago we downsized from a big split level to a single level townhouse. The last few months have proved this to be a very, very good decision. It’s only two steps up from my garage to the house and then everything is on the same level. I also had my shower redone and now it’s a big walk-in shower with only a 1 inch lip. It’s so amazing to be able to get in and sit in my shower chair and just let the hot water run over me. I can easily manage the whole process by myself and today might be the day where I take two showers. It is a nasty trick that mother nature is playing on me that today is the most painful for me to get in and out of my recliner and yet today is the day when I need to hit the bathroom for a pee about every hour. I know that this will pass. I’ve been through it before. That doesn’t mean I have to like it.
 
Hey…it’s a special day!
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Lefty!
Hope you have a peaceful Sunday and Happy Easter, if you celebrate. :wave:
@Freyagirl
 
I am a determined independent person. I mostly want to do things for myself by myself. For months now, actually years because this started before my hip surgery, I have had to ask for help. I’m pretty good about asking for help around the house. My husband, my son and my grandkids are great at carrying in groceries and emptying trash. But I am terrible at asking for personal help. One of my fears about the surgery was that I might not be able to get out of bed, get off the toilet, or get into the shower by myself. With great determination and a fair amount of discomfort I can do all of those. But there is no way I can clip off a hangnail that was really bugging me. That’s stupid right? My husband is an absolute darling. He’s very willing to help me and never makes any kind of grumpy sounds about it. Yet I have gone for three days, catching the same sore toenail on my socks, and on my bedding and being annoyed and frustrated over it. Until finally, I asked him if he would trim it off. Five minutes later and everything feels better. Sometimes my stubbornness helps me in my recovery and sometimes it’s just stupid. Today it’s been the latter.
 
I 100% get it. MDH and I have been intermittent steadfast caregivers for each other as needed over the decades, yet each of us silently hesitates over some "it's too trivial" or "too weird" request that's actually just fine!
Glad you asked!!!
 
I’ve been laying in bed with my feet propped up high to get control of my swelling. Mostly just on my upper thigh but tight and sore. It’s a great place for a pity party so I started scrolling through photos of our summer cabin. It can’t be used in the winter but it’s an early “ice out” this year in Minnesota and I bet I manage a trip up there by the end of the month.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Happy to be past the surgery
    IMG_7222.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 57
Lovely. Your home away from home. I'll bet you're excited to make the trek up North.
Something to look forward to for sure! I hope you meet your goal to make it up there by months end. :fingersx:
@Freyagirl
 
It’s Spring Break for the grandkids and 3 of them are entertaining Grandma today. What a blessing! We made some chicken, strawberry, pecan salads with poppyseed dressing for us “ladies” and some cinnamon roll monkey bread for the guys. What a perfect day. Best mood enhancer ever.
The swelling is improving on my hip which reduces my pain and improves my mood. My kidneys were complaining about the amount of Tylenol I was taking so I’ve been really limited in my pain relief options as I can’t take NSaids either. Ice, elevation, regular Tylenol and some Oxy as needed. Fortunately pretty low levels of pain have made this manageable.
 
The only time that I can remember being as reluctant to get out of bed at night to answer the call of my bladder was winter camping with the Boy Scouts. Unzipping myself from a warm, sleeping bag to go out into snowy Minnesota to an outhouse toilet seat, covered in frozen little boy pee was an effort I hated to make. But that was 35 years ago and I was younger. Now, by the time I struggle back into my comfortable pillow fort, I am grumpy and sore but grateful that I don’t need to try to warm my feet up again..
 
All sounds like you are coming right along. I also have an amazing partner that would cut my toenails for me!
We added walk in shower about 4 years ago, we love it.
Company is great, can ease your thoughts & then you can go relax.
 
@Freyagirl Ah the "joys" of midnight rambles. One trick I learned ... when getting out of bed (with the intention of getting back in soon) flip the covers up over your snuggle spot --- keeps the warmth in so climbing back into bed is lovely cozy!
 
With both hips in various healing phases and limits on Tylenol and no NSaids, I’ve taken a few more of the OxyContin this week. This means more fiber and such to keep things moving. It’s all been pretty balanced until today when my bowels have really cleared themselves out. I’m lighter for sure and so grateful not to have to deal with constipation, but it’s been an off day for me. I have noticed it’s much easier to heave myself out of my recliner and walk briskly to the bathroom - so I’m definitely getting stronger. Swelling is slightly reduced. Log leg now is willing to be lifted by its own muscles, but only a few inches. I’ll take that as a win for today. AND I have sparkling blue toenails thanks to my 10 year old granddaughter. It’s fun to be fancy while in PJ pants.
 
I’m glad to see that you’re coming along. Its no picnic, that’s for sure. I’m enjoying your stories and you’re cracking me up with your pillow fort. I have one just like it! The trick is to fling the pillows aside enough to get up but not so much as to have to do a whole reset. it sounds like you may have some snow up there and I hope you stay warm and dry. I spent one winter in Minneapolis and it was still snowing in May! I couldn’t believe it. :xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon:
 
I went to my first physical therapy for my second hip yesterday. Sometimes I actually learn from experience and did not take a lot of pain medicine before going to PT and stayed out of the ODIC. I was able to talk to the PT about some tightness and pain across my glutes and get some good stretches in. I did a few more of my hospital exercises and then she took a look at how my gait is coming along with both hips now replaced. She thought that things were looking good. The surgeon said she had a bit of a challenge, getting my legs balanced to be the same length. So far I haven’t really noticed any problem with leg length so I am hoping that she was completely successful. I took my pain meds and did my ice and elevation when I got home from PT. It seems to have worked well because I don’t have any residual pain from the appointment..
 
Last edited:
Great update!!!
 
I actually learn from experience and did not take a lot of pain medicine before going to PT and stayed out of the ODIC.
Good news! Now..can I have you call my dad, also recovering from joint replacement, and explain this to him. Haha. :wink:

Glad you had a good session and you're on your way back to all that you love and have been missing out on with the decline of your natural hips. Best Wishes, Freyagirl!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom